PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Winter Lord: Rogue-like Movement Warlock (PEACH)

sandmote
2019-10-29, 03:07 PM
A martial warlock, with a focus on being able to use high Str and Con over high Dex.

For mechanical balance, I would like to note the Elemental Bane spell for keeping up at higher levels, which is why the frostblade doesn't get up to half a sneak attack in damage.

The Winter Lord

Expanded Spell List
The Winter Lord lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.

Winter Lord Expanded Spells
Spell Level Spells
1st Grease, Zephyr Strike
2nd Pass Without Trace, Warding Wind
3rd Tiny Hut, Water Walk
4th Fire Shield, Ice Storm
5th Bigby's Hand, Control Winds

Insulating Armor
When you choose this patron at 1st level, you learn Shape Water which doesn't count against your cantrips known.

The freezing cold around you also interferes with creatures attacking you, and is just weak enough not to impact you as well. While you are wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, you can choose to calculate your AC as 10 + + your strength modifier + your Constitution modifier.

Frostblade
Starting at 1st level, you learn to channel your patron's freezing essence into your attacks. Once per turn, when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you deal an additional 1d6 cold damage.

This damage increases as you gain levels, to 2d6 at 6th level, 3d6 at 10th level, and 4d6 at 14th level.

Seeping Cold
From 6th level you can slip through tight bonds, just as the cold permeates every crevice and crack. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat, which can be used only to take the Disengage or Hide action.

You also gain resistance to cold damage.

Shiver down the Spine
Starting at 10th level, you can step with the wind. As an action, you can cast Freedom of Movement on yourself at will, without expending a spell slot or requiring any spell components.

Hobbling Strikes
At 14th level, your weapons leave a numbing sensation on those you strike. When you deal damage using your frostblade feature, the target must make a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or be slowed, as if by the slow spell, until the end of its next turn. Creatures with resistance to cold damage have advantage on this saving throw.

sleepyhead
2019-10-30, 01:21 PM
Insulating Armor
When you choose this patron at 1st level, you learn Shape Water which doesn't count against your cantrips known.

The freezing cold around you also interferes with creatures attacking you. While you are wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, you can choose to calculate your AC as 13 + your Constitution modifier.

Really good for a 1 level dip, better for casters sense you get spell slots and can dump dex & str.

Frostblade
Starting at 1st level, you learn to channel your patron's freezing essence into your attacks. Once per turn, when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you deal an additional 1d6 cold damage.

This damage increases as you gain levels, to 2d6 at 6th level, 3d6 at 10th level, and 4d6 at 14th level.
Pretty good mixed with booming blade/greenflameblade

Seeping Cold
From 6th level you can slip through tight bonds, just as the cold permeates every crevice and crack. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat, which can be used only to take the Disengage or Hide action.

You also gain resistance to cold damage.

Even better mixed with booming blade

Hobbling Strikes
At 10th level, your weapons leave a numbing sensation on those you strike. When you deal damage using your frostblade feature, the target must make a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or be slowed, as if by the slow spell, until the end of its next turn. Creatures with resistance to cold damage have advantage on this saving throw.
Way to good, even with monsters having solid saves taking away enemies attacks for free potential every round is powerful.

Shiver down the Spine
Starting at 14th level, you can step with the wind. As an action, you can cast Freedom of Movement on yourself at will, without expending a spell slot or requiring any spell components.
honestly a bit lack luster

sandmote
2019-10-30, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Really good for a 1 level dip, better for casters sense you get spell slots and can dump dex & str.
Would 10 + Str mod + Con mod work better? I particularly want something that isn't Dex based.

Pretty good mixed with booming blade/greenflameblade

Even better mixed with booming blade Yeah, I don't allow other "on a hit" effects to work with those cantrips, including divine smite and sneak attack. Otherwise, they're entirely broken already.

Way to good, even with monsters having solid saves taking away enemies attacks for free potential every round is powerful.
honestly a bit lack luster This didn't occur to me before, but would switching these work a little better? Particularly given 14th level warlock features need to be strong for the warlock to keep up with the rest of the party.

sleepyhead
2019-10-31, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Would 10 + Str mod + Con mod work better? I particularly want something that isn't Dex based.
Yes

Yeah, I don't allow other "on a hit" effects to work with those cantrips, including divine smite and sneak attack. Otherwise, they're entirely broken already.
By the rules it's allowed to stack (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/83147/can-i-sneak-attack-with-green-flame-blade-or-booming-blade)

This didn't occur to me before, but would switching these work a little better? Particularly given 14th level warlock features need to be strong for the warlock to keep up with the rest of the party.
Honestly you could swap the bottom two and that would probably help.

sandmote
2019-10-31, 07:39 PM
I'll do the other two suggestions then.

By the rules it's allowed to stack (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/83147/can-i-sneak-attack-with-green-flame-blade-or-booming-blade)
Normally, I do want my homebrew to be usable for other people. However, some things are so strong that I would rather ignore RAW than allow either existing options to be completely broken or to force all the allowed alternatives to be useless. I consider these cantrips to fall into this case; stopping them from being broken would require banning rogues and subclasses anywhere is the same ballpark.