PDA

View Full Version : Player requested me to make a class that doesn't exist yet, how does this look?

MicHag
2019-11-07, 08:15 AM
So for my upcoming E6 campaign, i told the players if they have trouble creating the character they want, they can always come to me for help.
There is one player that wanted to play some kind of scientist/inventor that creates items to be usefull in all kinds of ways.

I have come up with the following, and i wonder what you guys think of the concept. Note that i did not make a class progression, but simply made the class as a level 6 character (they will start at level 6 and never progress anyway). The player will probably need to take Quick Draw to switch between magic items.

Inventor
D6 HD
4+int skills/level (All knowledge, Spellcraft, Concentration, Craft, Profession, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Search, Forgery, Open Lock, Use Magic Device)
good will save
¾ BAB

Power Sources
The Inventor has several power sources of different level at his disposal. The power sources need to be combined with an invention. The level of the power source determines the power of the invention.

one level 5 power source
one level 4 power source
two level 3 power source
two level 2 power source
two level 1 power source

It takes 1 minute to remove a power source, it takes 4 hours to implement a power source.

Potions
Inventors can create a potion of Cure Light Wounds by spending 10 gp on materials and 2 hours.

Identify
Inventors can identify an unidentified magic item by researching it for 2 hour

Inventions
(Currently i have only 9 inventions ready, i want to make something like 15, so the player can choose. He will probably start with 9, and can take feats to gain more)
In case a spell is simulated, the DC is int-based, spell level is invention level/2 rounded up and caster level is 6, unless it specifically says otherwise.
Time of creation is the moment a power source is combined to an invention.
Some inventions state that they are usable once per encounter. While this may be true in practice, in reality is means there is a reload time of 5 minutes, so if encounters last very long they can be used more than once in one encounter. On the other hand, if the next encounter starts very soon after the last has ended, the device might not be reloaded yet.

Shield
This Shield-generator is strapped on an arm, as a buckler without penalty to attacks.
Level 1 +1 Shield AC
Level 2 +2 Shield AC
Level 3 +2 Shield AC and 1 ability
Level 4 +3 Shield AC and 2 abilities
Level 5 +4 Shield AC and 3 abilities

Each encounter only one ability can be used, the abilities are chosen at the time of creation.

Shield wall As a full-round action you can turn the shield into a wall consisting of five 5ft lines that are impenetrable. If the shield-wall has absorbed 100 points of damage or until 1 minute has passed it de-activates and becomes a normal shield again. As long as the shield-wall is active you can take one move action. Your standard is used to keep the shield-wall up, but you can change its shape. Your bonus to AC is lost while the Shield-wall is active

Energy Protection Choose one energy-type at the time of creation. As a swift action you can activate this ability to gain resistance 5 against that energy type for 1 minute.

Jetpack
This flying device is strapped on the back, you need two free hands to use a jetpack.
The Jetpack can be used every encounter. This ability is activated as a swift action.
Level 1 Fly 40ft average maneuverability for 1 round.
Level 2 Fly 40ft good maneuverability for 2 consecutive rounds.
Level 3 Fly 60ft good maneuverability for for 3 rounds, divided as chosen
Level 4 Fly 60ft good maneuverability for 2 minutes, divided as chosen
Level 5 Fly 60ft indefinitely

Invisibility
Once per encounter
Level 1 Invisible for 1 round, activation is a standard action
Level 2 Invisible for 2 rounds, activation is a swift action
Level 3 Invisible for 1 minute, activation swift
Level 4 Invisibility sphere for 5 rounds or invisible self 5 minutes, swift
Level 5 Invisibility sphere for 5 minutes, activation swift

Communication
Message (120 ft, only one creature)
Sending (ignore casting time, 0% to succeed to other plane, range according to level)

Level 1 At will Message
Level 2 Sending 1/encounter (limited to 1 miles) and at will message
Level 3 As sending, 1/encounter (limited to 6 miles, 2 lines) and at will message
Level 4 As sending, 1/encounter (limited to 60 miles, 20 lines) and at will message
Level 5 At will sending

Inventor’s Weapon
Ranged touch attack, 60 ft, SR-applies, untyped magical damage, at will
Level 1 1d8 damage
Level 2 1d12 damage
Level 3 2d8 damage
Level 4 2d10 damage
Level 5 2d12 damage

Fireball or Acidball-gun
This weapon can be activated 1/encounter. Range 120 ft for Fire, 90 ft for Acid.
Energy Type is chosen upon creation.
Level 1 2d6 Ball 1/encounter
Level 2 3d6 Ball 1/encounter
Level 3 4d6 Ball 1/encounter
Level 4 5d6 Ball 1/encounter
Level 5 6d6 Ball 1/encounter

Ice-cone or Electricity-cone weapon
Range 60 ft
Energy Type is chosen upon creation.
Level 1 2d6 Cone 1/encounter
Level 2 3d6 Cone 1/encounter
Level 3 4d6 Cone 1/encounter
Level 4 5d6 Cone 1/encounter
Level 5 6d6 Cone 1/encounter

Stinking Cloud weapon
Range 120 ft
Level 1 as spell 1/encounter DC -8 (this already includes the drop in spell level)
Level 2 as spell 1/encounter DC -6 (this already includes the drop in spell level)
Level 3 as spell 1/encounter DC -4 (this already includes the drop in spell level)
Level 4 as spell 1/encounter DC -2 (this already includes the drop in spell level)
Level 5 as spell 1/encounter

Dispel Magic
Range 120ft
Level 1 As dispel magic 1/encounter (CL -1)
Level 2 As dispel magic 1/encounter (CL 1)
Level 3 As dispel magic 1/encounter (CL 3)
Level 4 As dispel magic 1/encounter (CL 5)
Level 5 As dispel magic 1/encounter (CL 7)

Telekinesis
Range 120ft, duration concentration (up to 1/rnd level)
Level 1 As telekinesis 1/encounter (10 lb) and a continuous floating disk (10 lb)
Level 2 As telekinesis 1/encounter (25 lb) and a continuous floating disk (25 lb)
Level 3 As telekinesis 1/encounter (50 lb) and a continuous floating disk (50 lb)
Level 4 As telekinesis 1/encounter (100 lb) and a continuous floating disk (100 lb)
Level 5 As telekinesis 1/encounter (150 lb) and a continuous floating disk (150 lb)

Once the telekinesis is activated, the floating disk is temporarily inactive.

Sustained force
Move object 20ft, creatures get a will save

Combat maneuver
Once per round: Bull Rush, Disarm, Grapple

Violent Thrust
Damage based on size/weight of object.

MicHag
2019-11-07, 08:23 AM
To Clarify, currently the player would have all 9 of the inventions. One of the inventions will not have a power source, and will not be useful.
It takes him 4 hours to put a power source into an invention (although at the start of the game, he can already have them all in somewhere).
The idea is he has to choose which invention he wants to be the most powerful, and he can switch it every day, given he has time to do so.

The class is limited in his "Spells" even more so than a Sorcerer is, and worse even, he can't even chose to (for example) do two fireballs in 1 combat.
He does have a better chassis (D6, 3/4 bab and more skill points), but overal, the class is not strong i believe, which shouldn't be much of a problem.

Biggus
2019-11-07, 08:28 AM
In Magic of Faerun there was a prestige class called Gnome Artificer which was along similar lines, you might want to have a look at that for further inspiration.

DeTess
2019-11-07, 08:32 AM
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you aren't adapting the artificer class from Eberon?

Tvtyrant
2019-11-07, 07:03 PM
I like your system, but I think you could simplify it. If you look at Incarnum it makes pseudo-magic items powered by essentia points. Using a similar system where the points invested are batteries is pretty easy, similar to yours but with a simpler point system and the batteries can be moved around using a swift action.

So the inventor can have a certain number of inventions ready each day, then can shift batteries between them as needed.

Ruethgar
2019-11-08, 04:40 PM
I feel like this could be easily done with Spheres of Power with the Gadgeteer casting tradition and not need a new class to balance things out with(not that SoP is terribly balanced, esp ported into 3.5, but still).