PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewing a spell. Need help balancing it. Called "Void"

Armyguyclaude
2019-11-11, 10:42 PM
Hi all!

Recently my DM handed out sheets of paper with alternate ways for each class system to gain xp outside of combat. Was really exciting to see. Like Fighters could gain XP by assessing arms and armor, while Clerics could gain XP by preaching of their God to willing listeners. Really fun. One of the things my DM put down for Arcane Casters is Creating a New Spell. As I am trying to make my character as Utility based as possible I decided to test my creativity and came up with this.

Void
[Evocation]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Object/Area Touched 20 cu ft + 5 cu ft / 2 Levels
Duration: 1 Min + 1 Min / 2 Levels
Saving Throw: Will / Reflex
Spell Resistance: Yes

Caster causes touched area and anything inside area to become Frictionless and Weightless. Upon casting caster shapes chooses which areas are effected as long as it's within accepted target range. Any creature caught inside the spell upon cast may make a Will Save to avoid becoming Frictionless and Weightless itself. Any creature starting it's round inside affected area must make a reflex save or else be forced to move uncontrollably in a straight line from where they are facing until out of affected area. This will expend creatures move action. Upon entering affected area creatures must make a reflex save or else move in a straight line starting from which they are facing until out of effected area. This will expend creatures move action.

Creatures and objects Frictionless and Weightless themselves will move in a straight line starting from where they are facing if they try to use their move action. If something outside forces comes into contact with said creature or object they will constantly move in the opposite direction of force that came into contact with them/it. Creatures and objects in motion will stay in motion until they either leave the affected area. the spell runs out, or run into something that hinders their progression of movement in previously stated direction.

Creatures and objects affected by this spell have a 25% chance to avoid any physical attack as it could slide right off them.

Creatures and objects in motion move at their base speed per round. If no base speed exists base speed will be 5 ft per round. Each round the creature or object stays in motion it will gain +5 ft of extra movement thus allowing them or it to move further. Any creature that comes to a halt will take 1d6 points of damage for each 10 ft over 40 ft per round it is going upon stopping.

If a creature or object is launched into the air because of this spell it continues in a straight line losing 5 ft of speed each round. Upon reaching 0 Speed it will start to descend back to the world at a rate of 5 ft + 5 extra ft per round. Falling speed is maxed at 60 ft per round as if under the effects of feather fall.

EDIT:
Do items falling at a max rate of 60 ft per round need saving throws?
Should I put in a clause for grappling while under the effects of this spell?
How does non magical flight work with this spell?
This spell started in the DnD 3.5 area so I will be using this for that edition and game.
Changed target from ft to cu ft as it encompasses everything within each 5x5 ft block. (DM pointed this out)
Added misnomer so people know they can shape the targeted area as if stone shape. (DM pointed this out)

Anxe
2019-11-11, 10:55 PM
Seems fine to me.

I'd add one qualifier to it. Currently it has the possibility to completely destroy a weapon. You touch an opponent's sword and it might just shoot off into the sky. By the time the effect wears off, the sword falls and breaks. This would suck to happen to a PC, so you want to prevent it. Easiest method to prevent it is to allow the sword to save every turn. Usually magic items use their wielder's saves, but they also have their own saving throws. That way it will hopefully make the save before it goes high enough to reach terminal velocity and take 20d6.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#damagingMagicItems
2+(half creator's caster level) if you want to throw it in the description as a reminder.

Armyguyclaude
2019-11-11, 11:07 PM
Seems fine to me.

I'd add one qualifier to it. Currently it has the possibility to completely destroy a weapon. You touch an opponent's sword and it might just shoot off into the sky. By the time the effect wears off, the sword falls and breaks. This would suck to happen to a PC, so you want to prevent it. Easiest method to prevent it is to allow the sword to save every turn. Usually magic items use their wielder's saves, but they also have their own saving throws. That way it will hopefully make the save before it goes high enough to reach terminal velocity and take 20d6.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#damagingMagicItems
2+(half creator's caster level) if you want to throw it in the description as a reminder.

Could an item shatter at falling at a max speed of 60 ft per round? (I put in the clause things falling have a max fall speed of 60 ft per round as if under feather fall)

legomaster00156
2019-11-11, 11:22 PM
Just for future reference, this website actually has a place for homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design). :smallsmile:

Armyguyclaude
2019-11-11, 11:47 PM
Just for future reference, this website actually has a place for homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design). :smallsmile:

Thanks didn't know. I'm assuming a forum moderator will probably move it.

Quertus
2019-11-12, 01:59 PM
Hi all!

Recently my DM handed out sheets of paper with alternate ways for each class system to gain xp outside of combat. Was really exciting to see. Like Fighters could gain XP by assessing arms and armor, while Clerics could gain XP by preaching of their God to willing listeners. Really fun. One of the things my DM put down for Arcane Casters is Creating a New Spell. As I am trying to make my character as Utility based as possible I decided to test my creativity and came up with this.

Void
[Evocation]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Object/Area Touched 20 ft + 5 ft / 2 Levels
Duration: 1 Min + 1 Min / 2 Levels
Saving Throw: Will / Reflex
Spell Resistance: Yes

Caster causes touched area and anything inside area to become Frictionless and Weightless. Any creature caught inside the spell upon cast may make a Will Save to avoid becoming Frictionless and Weightless itself. Any creature starting it's round inside affected area must make a reflex save or else be forced to move uncontrollably in a straight line from where they are facing until out of affected area. This will expend creatures move action. Upon entering affected area creatures must make a reflex save or else move in a straight line starting from which they are facing until out of effected area. This will expend creatures move action.

Creatures and objects Frictionless and Weightless themselves will move in a straight line starting from where they are facing if they try to use their move action. If something outside forces comes into contact with said creature or object they will constantly move in the opposite direction of force that came into contact with them/it. Creatures and objects in motion will stay in motion until they either leave the affected area. the spell runs out, or run into something that hinders their progression of movement in previously stated direction.

Creatures and objects affected by this spell have a 25% chance to avoid any physical attack as it could slide right off them.

Creatures and objects in motion move at their base speed per round. If no base speed exists base speed will be 5 ft per round. Each round the creature or object stays in motion it will gain +5 ft of extra movement thus allowing them or it to move further. Any creature that comes to a halt will take 1d6 points of damage for each 10 ft over 40 ft per round it is going upon stopping.

If a creature or object is launched into the air because of this spell it continues in a straight line losing 5 ft of speed each round. Upon reaching 0 Speed it will start to descend back to the world at a rate of 5 ft + 5 extra ft per round. Falling speed is maxed at 60 ft per round as if under the effects of feather fall.

EDIT:
Do items falling at a max rate of 60 ft per round need saving throws?
Should I put in a clause for grappling while under the effects of this spell?

OK, there's a few problems.

The biggest to my OCD is, if it's weightless, there's no reason for an object to fall back to earth; if it's both frictionless and weightless, there's no reason for it to slow down.

Second, frictionless + weightless should do strange things to (muscle-powered) ranged attacks. There is probably already some RAW for this, but my homebrew would be… a) -2 penalty outside point blank range (negated by those accustomed to fighting in the void); b) no maximum range.

Next, there's no reason why objects at rest would suddenly start moving at their movement rate. Imagine casting it on a stationary locomotive or jet airplane - you wouldn't expect them to suddenly rocket away, would you? Perhaps instead… have things move at the speed that they did in the previous round, in the direction that they ended their movement in the previous round, subject to a) a chance of scatter diagram deviation (based on wind (including breathing) vs a weightless object, bumping into things, etc); b) a chance for the subject to control their movement (same chances as not being thrown up by Reverse Gravity).

Lastly, that 25% miss chance sounds great as an extra stacking miss chance for a flying Wizard.

PS, speaking of flying, you should address how the spell will affect nonmagical flight.

Armyguyclaude
2019-11-12, 03:10 PM
OK, there's a few problems.

The biggest to my OCD is, if it's weightless, there's no reason for an object to fall back to earth; if it's both frictionless and weightless, there's no reason for it to slow down.

I'm not good on Physics, but I was under the assumption even things with 0 weight can still be affected by gravity. Meaning if the object being 0 weight weighs more than the atmosphere around it it would start to descend. I'm assuming mass at some point plays a part in this theory (From what I can remember of chemistry class all those years ago). I also incorporated this as a fail safe from allowing me to abuse this and launching people into space and dying from falling damage. Would seem overpowered at that point.

Second, frictionless + weightless should do strange things to (muscle-powered) ranged attacks. There is probably already some RAW for this, but my homebrew would be… a) -2 penalty outside point blank range (negated by those accustomed to fighting in the void); b) no maximum range.

I know there's a lot of things open for interpretation here. Like what happens to all the things on a creatures body when they all become weightless and frictionless as well? Or the item the creature is holding? I figure every spell has some leeway for DM discretion. I have been trying to work out with a friend about grappling things under this condition. Possibly doing something like what you're talking about of giving a + to resist being grappled and a + to escape grapple. But overall, I guess I'm not understanding what it is you're trying to convey here. Are you talking about trying to draw the bow? Or because the arrow/bolt is now weightless it increases in speed as it moves? Or because the arrow/bolt is now weightless it will move in a straight line regardless thus throwing off conventional ways to shoot a bow/crossbow to begin with?

Next, there's no reason why objects at rest would suddenly start moving at their movement rate. Imagine casting it on a stationary locomotive or jet airplane - you wouldn't expect them to suddenly rocket away, would you? Perhaps instead… have things move at the speed that they did in the previous round, in the direction that they ended their movement in the previous round, subject to a) a chance of scatter diagram deviation (based on wind (including breathing) vs a weightless object, bumping into things, etc); b) a chance for the subject to control their movement (same chances as not being thrown up by Reverse Gravity).

I'm not assuming something at rest will suddenly start moving. But I am under the assumption that things in movement stay in movement. Like if you move into this area you were already exuding force. Or failing a reflex save while starting in the area could be interpreted as you moved and now are continuing to move, because you cannot control your movement. On the flip side making your reflex save could allow you (In RP'ing Theory) understand what is going on and move accordingly. Like I said lots of things are open to DM discretion. As for regaining control? Possibly just make it as simple as another Reflex save, but honestly I can't see in reality you trying to regain control working in a situation where you are frictionless and weightless. But like I said physics is not my strong suit.

Lastly, that 25% miss chance sounds great as an extra stacking miss chance for a flying Wizard.
PS, speaking of flying, you should address how the spell will affect nonmagical flight.

Honestly I don't know how weightless would affect non magical flying objects to begin with. I'm assuming they would be able to flying normally or possibly faster since there is less resistance now (Being weightless). But I hadn't even thought about flying and this spell. Nice thinking. Mainly I put the miss chance in to help protect enemies caught in this so they aren't as helpless. Whether that condition is applied or not. I could put in a misnomer about the evasion from this does not stack with over forms of evasion. Purely for strength of the spell power purposes.

Anxe
2019-11-14, 01:53 AM
I think weight is defined by the interaction between an object and the planet that you're using as the reference point for the object. So a weightless object would also effectively have a mass of zero. Of course, there's no real reason that D&D logic has to quite work like that. Or maybe the object is just almost weightless. Whatever, it doesn't really make sense.

Like, for nonmagical flight, a weightless object is lighter than air, so it sails upwards like a helium balloon. A bird's wings are also weightless, so it can't use them to exert normal force on the air beneath them to fly.

I missed the feather fall effect. If that's meant to save items you should specify the duration of that effect as well. Now that I'm looking at it, that's probably not enough since it would only affect the object for a few rounds. That would barely alter the descent of an "orbital" drop.