PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next making a Race based on an Owl for my world

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-11-17, 05:41 PM
Hello guys :)

I want to make a race for my world.
It need to be the Owl, the queen of the night and the leader of the wild hunt and it fighting the dawn.

I am thinking on taking the Aarakocra:
Ability Score Increase:
1 wis 1cha

flight 30(all armors types) walk 25

Talons
no change

sun light sensitivity

dark vision 120

No I need a positive feature that will only work in night that will represent it as the night queen.

It should be a race for clerics of the twilight domain in the setting (I use the class features and changed his name to owl incarnate).

which feature you think fit this idea?
should I remove the talons for it?

Edit:
I was thinking about + 5 to stealth at night that can be extended to other in a "hunt"(I will have the player explain to me how, who and when they are hunting).

Breccia
2019-11-19, 12:47 AM
Everything I know about owls, I learned from True Facts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeFxdkaFzRA).

Owls have two thumbs, assymetric ears to pinpoint sound, and are ridiculously silent when flying. There's got to be a few things for that.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-11-19, 02:54 AM
Everything I know about owls, I learned from True Facts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeFxdkaFzRA).

Owls have two thumbs, assymetric ears to pinpoint sound, and are ridiculously silent when flying. There's got to be a few things for that.

I can use that, but I need help with finding a balance solution for my game. And in my game the owl are based on the album feather and flash from avatar (I made a world based on songs).
Do you have a suggestion for me?

The silent when flying is why I was thinking on a stealth bonus but I need to make something that will represent the night aspect.

Trandir
2019-11-19, 03:42 AM
I can use that, but I need help with finding a balance solution for my game. And in my game the owl are based on the album feather and flash from avatar (I made a world based on songs).
Do you have a suggestion for me?

The silent when flying is why I was thinking on a stealth bonus but I need to make something that will represent the night aspect.

Hello there. Making anthropomorphic animal playable race or just NPC race?

Also why sun light sensitivity? Owls IRL and in the Forgotten Realms do not have sun light sensitivity.

Could you provide a physical description of the race?

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-11-19, 08:55 AM
Hello there. Making anthropomorphic animal playable race or just NPC race?

Also why sun light sensitivity? Owls IRL and in the Forgotten Realms do not have sun light sensitivity.

Could you provide a physical description of the race?

I want to make a playable race.

I am giving them sunlight sensitivity because they are a manifestation of a titan in my setting that is based on the owl from the album feather and flash by avatar. He is more like the spirit of the night then an animal.
The owl need to rule the night and the hunt and hate the dawn.

It is hard for me to give a description of the race(Language barrier and probably the way I think on things like it).
I do see them as fighters, closer to strength based but also stealthy. That is why I gave them the ability to fly in armour and why I considered giving them a flat bonus to stealth at night.
Maybe removing disadvantage on stealth at night will also work.

I am looking a balance way to give them appropriate bonus and penalties.

Trandir
2019-11-19, 09:32 AM
I want to make a playable race.

I am giving them sunlight sensitivity because they are a manifestation of a titan in my setting that is based on the owl from the album feather and flash by avatar. He is more like the spirit of the night then an animal.
The owl need to rule the night and the hunt and hate the dawn.

It is hard for me to give a description of the race(Language barrier and probably the way I think on things like it).
I do see them as fighters, closer to strength based but also stealthy. That is why I gave them the ability to fly in armour and why I considered giving them a flat bonus to stealth at night.
Maybe removing disadvantage on stealth at night will also work.

I am looking a balance way to give them appropriate bonus and penalties.

I see. I was aking more for if you wanted them to have the wings attached to the arms or their hands being on their wings, making impossible for them to use weapons while flying.

A race that favors twilight domain clerics. Let's see what I can do.

This owls need to be wise Wis +2 is mandatory then.

Sunlight sensitivity and superior darkvision. Fair enough but to be balanced this needs some more stuff.
This abiltiy from the owl entry probably fits quite well.

But with this no racial skill proficiency.

Owl:
Ability Scores: Wis +2
Size: medium
Speed: 25 ft., fly 30 ft.

Alignement: mostly same as the titan
Size: you decide but for armored races the wings should be separated from the armor to allow for more constrictive armor design.

Sunlight sensitivity
Superior darkvision: 120 ft

Keen Hearing and Sight. The owl has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.

Subraces:

Guardian
The owls that act as armed hand for the cult. strongest among his peers

Ability scores: Str +1

Flight: you have a flying speed of 30, to use this speed you can't be in heavy armor.

Silent Flight: wearing medium or heavy armor doesn't impose disadvantage on Dexterity (stealth) checks made while flyin

Cloistered
Savants among the owls
Ability scores: Int +1

Flight: you have a flying speed of 30, to use this speed you can't be in medium or heavy armor.

Ample knowledge: Choose one proficiency to get among these: history, religion, arcana, nature, medicine.

Bookworm: you learn the light cantrip, and wisdom is his spellcasting ability.

I am not very good at desining races but I tryed.

Sidenote: the album is called Feathers and Flesh.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-11-19, 02:50 PM
Assuming 5e

The Owl
Avatars of Night, this race of avian humanoids is known for their dislike of the dawn and its representation of the waning of their dominion.
Size: Medium
Ages: Considered adult by 12, life span as humans
Ability Bonus: +1 Wisdom
Safe Fall: the Owl use their feathered limbs to slow their descent. Reduce falling damage by 1d6 per level.

Flight: the average Owl remains in their treeborn cities or cliff side aeries and never learns to fly more than a few yards at a time. Adventuring Owl will eventually master the art of continuous flight.
At level 1 you have a fly speed of 30 feet but must end your turn in a place that supports you climbing or standing or you fall prone.
At level 5 you gain a fly speed of 30 feet.
You cannot fly when wearing medium or heavy armor or carrying more than a light load. While flying you cannot wield weapons with your hands.

Gripping Talons: the Owl have dexterous taloned feet that deal 1d4 Slashing Damage. You are proficient with your talons and may use strength or dexterity when attacking with them.

Sunlight sensitivity: disadvantage on attacks when they or their target are in direct sunlight.

Darkvision: 120

Subtypes

Elf Owl
These diminutive hunters are gifted magic users.
Ability bonus +2 Int
Wiry- an elf Owl is considered Small whenever it’s advantageous to them. They can take cover behind medium and larger creatures.
Gift of Magic- You learn a 1 Cantrip from the Wizard or Warlock List.

Wise Owl
These great avians are potent warriors and Hunter’s.
Ability bonus +1 Str, +1 Dex
Powerful Build- count as large to determine carrying capacity
Deadly Talons- a creature grappled by a Wise Owl’s talons suffers 1d4 Slashing Damage each time they fail a check to escape.

PhantomSoul
2019-11-19, 06:51 PM
If it's for a PC rather than an NPC (where you could just give the traits you want), maybe plan for what you'd do for a larger set of Birdfolk? As an example (it has a racial downside, so less likely to be generalised -- but as an example)

Birdfolk Traits
As a Birdfolk, you have the following Traits.

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity Score increases by 1.
Type. You are a Beast.
Age. Birdfolk normally reach maturity at age 1, and their maximum lifespan is normally about 6 to 8 years.
Size. Birdfolk are typically a little shorter than Humans (4 to 5.5 feet). Their Size Category is generally Medium (but see Subraces).
Speed. Your Speed is 25 Feet.
Flight. You have a Flight Speed of 25 Feet, during which you cannot do anything that requires manual dexterity (your hands are on your wings, unlike for Aarakocra). Some Subraces increase (Thrum) or lose (Pingu) this Flight Speed due to environmental adaptations. You can carry up to 10 lbs in addition to your worn equipment and cannot Fly in Medium or Heavy Armor.
Hollow Bones. You are Vulnerable to Bludgeoning Damage.
Talons. Your talons are sharp and capable of being used to attack while airborne. Unarmed Attacks with your talons deal 1d4 Slashing Damage instead of the normal Bludgeoning Damage. As normal, you are Proficient with these Unarmed Attacks and you use your Strength Modifier for Attack Rolls and Damage Rolls.
Languages. You can speak Avian and one other Language. Typically, Adventuring Birdfolk have learned the Common Language of their Region.

Olet
Olet (Owlfolk) gain the following Traits.

Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom Score increases by 2.
Darkvision. You have Darkvision with a Range of 120 Feet. You see in Dim Light as though it were Bright Light, and you see in Darkness as thought it were Dim Light. You can discern shades of grey in the dark, but cannot distinguish color.
Keen Eyes. You have Advantage on Wisdom (Perception) Checks relying on sight.

Nielspeterdejon
2019-11-22, 10:03 AM
Sunlight sensitivity is a pretty big debuff.

Instead, why not lower their speed by 10 (40 feet instead of 50 feet), and add standard darkvision?