PDA

View Full Version : hello :)

LuciusSenatorio
2007-10-19, 05:49 AM
hi , i m new to this forum but i think u r the right people to ask.
im playing a cleric of ilmater and its kinda fun but there are certain things that trouble me.

i cant actually express my unrest in effective way towards a party member since i m with the party to serve them...so i cant deny a heal or even cast touch of pain(suffering domain:1 min -2 dex-2 str ,pain) etc.Actually if the most hated bastard asked me to ease his pain in the name of ilmater i ld have to heal him

i cant gather up some gp cause whenever i visit a church of ilmater (quite often) i have to put whatever i have into the church box...

i cant put my own agenda above the others agenda...so... all players had an agenda of some kind from the start and each one of them was pursuing that agenda. i was like: i ll follow u........

i feel like this char is a puppet.

kamikasei
2007-10-19, 05:58 AM
Can you give us more information on the rest of the party, and in particular, what about them makes you want to deny them healing and the like?

Can you give some background on your own character, his personality, motivations etc?

If a character is bound by oath or similar restriction to provide services to his allies if they ask for them, but finds the allies to be abhorrent, the simplest in-character solution would be to walk away. You have the option of simply retiring the character and rolling up one who fits better into the party, or of leaving the group altogether if the other players are total jerks. Of course, I assume you'd rather keep the character and improve his standing in the group, so let's hear just what the problem/conflict is.

Zincorium
2007-10-19, 06:01 AM
Well, I hate to say it, but you need to start standing up for yourself at the beginning.

Clerics can be hard because you're seen as the walking medical kit, but you can deny them healing until they promise to improve their behavior, as as a disciple of Ilmater you should dispense mercy but also seek to help others overcome their shortcomings.

Also, you DO NOT have to tithe unless the DM says you have to, and if that's the case, ask him to have the church give you some equipment or give some cleric-specific stuff along with the treasure. If he's forcing you to take a penalty, he should be generous otherwise so the game is fun. Emphasize that it's really hurting your enjoyment of his game to keep giving and giving and not receive.

Lastly, if you feel like you need an agenda, make one, even if it's fairly simple and self serving, bring it up and present it as something you want to do. If you give yourself something that is clear and can be accomplished, you can think of another, better one as you go about it.

The game is only what you make of it, I think you'll have a lot more fun when you start breathing life into the character and strive towards what makes the game fun for you.

LuciusSenatorio
2007-10-19, 06:10 AM
well i made quite a simple background for this character to allow the DM invent the rest.Clerics of Ilmater found him at the age of 11 in a cemetery.he doesnt remember anything before that but ..a strange darkness.he has runes to his right hand that are completely the same with the ones on an artifact of Ilmater that was stolen by Loviatar subjects 1 century ago,so u guess his motives for adventuring.

About the other players,its a dwarf (NG),a rogue(NG) a druid (NN) a wizard(unknown alignment) a ranger(NN) and a -wanna be paladin of Tempus- fighter (i think LN).

as expected my beliefs with the fighter's are almost opposite sometimes.i kinda enjoy this but when it comes to help the fighter i help him with the power of ilmater ,right? She ignores Ilmater kinda thinking of Tempus is helping her.
the guys im playing with are not jerks.its just that its the beggining i guess, we are all lvl 2

Matthew
2007-10-19, 06:12 AM
It sounds like you don't want to play the character you think you're supposed to be playing. It also sounds like your party is composed of non cooperative types, which is always problematic (since D&D is usually a cooperative game). Take a long hard look at the Cult of Ilmater and decide whether that Deity is really the one you want to continue following.

Options

1) Develop a strong personality leaning on the precepts of Ilmater.

2) Retire the character and get a new one.

3) Develop the character in such a way that he abandons Ilmater in favour of another Deity.

raygungothic
2007-10-19, 06:35 AM
Sounds like you might want to have a chat with the DM there. If all the other PCs have agendas and you're just tagging along, that's not quite fair - maybe he can help by weaving in a plot element that puts your character on the spot for a bit.

Also, discuss your cleric's religion and duty with the DM. You may feel a duty to serve, but that doesn't have to force you to be a sucker. Try to work out an interpretation of your principles that gives you a bit more freedom of action and of words - you may have to help, but you can help in different ways and you shouldn't be forced to always pretend to like it. If the DM gets absolutist ("no, you may not have any choices") request that he apply retroactive continuity to change you to something that does - you joined the game to be able to contribute, and that means being more than just a puppet.

LuciusSenatorio
2007-10-19, 06:41 AM
well i guess speaking with the dm would be a cool idea for sure.i m gonna help always but i wont abuse the power that ilmater gives me to the ones that dont respect him and go against ilmater teachings :P

i m forced to help but i ll choose the way i ll help.I said before that my agenda was there all the time (from the background) but i couldnt put it above others agenda.i think maybe i made a mistake there.

its a complex character and i like it in a way but i m still on experiments about the rp

squishycube
2007-10-19, 06:42 AM
I would also like to add a meta-comment. I couldn't help but notice that you (the OP) use chat speak and do not use proper punctuation and capitalisation. One of the reasons I like this forum in particular is that this is generally frowned upon, or at least that people will take you less seriously. I suppose each community has its own little rules and conventions, not breaking them can make your stay so much more comfortable.
The people here are generally a friendly lot though, as can be seen in their willingness to help you.
I hope you feel welcome here and I wish you good luck with your character.

EDIT: I noticed something else, your nickname is capitalised, while mine is not. You're already doing better than I in that respect!

LuciusSenatorio
2007-10-19, 06:48 AM
Seems the users of this forum are friendly indeed since i got many answers in a short amount of time.I ll do my best to follow your advice though English is not my "mother" language.

Nermy
2007-10-19, 07:25 AM
Your character might benefit from the Vow of Poverty feat from Book of Exalted deeds if you find you're giving away your gold anyway. It basically gives you special abilities as you level up in exchange for donating all your gold to charity (which you do already anyway).

banjo1985
2007-10-19, 07:36 AM
Only problem is that if I remember rightly the feat helps Monks more then Clerics? Could be wrong though, been a whilesince I played a cleric.

As for your situation, your character might be a healer and bound to help the needy, bu he's no doormat. He can refuse help to those that are not deserving of it, and should encourage others to help themselves. However, as someone already said, Clerics are often seen as walking medical kits, especially at low levels, and this can make them a bit of a drag to play. If it really is damaging your enjoyment of the game that much it may be good to retire the character and go for a character that has more freedom, such as a ranger, it may fit with the griup better as well.

F.L.
2007-10-19, 08:08 AM
The VOP feat's not that great for monks, but then, nothing is. The main problem is monks can't fly. So unless you have some kind of winged monk, you're better off with equipment. Now a VOP druid's workable on the other hand. Since your equipment mostly merges into wildshape, having inherent bonuses instead can be alright. A VOP cleric can also work, as you still have some spells to work with, but you'll probably be less powerful than a non-VOP cleric. Which is OK, taking what's considered the most potent class in D&D and losing a little power is fine. Under no circumstance are you to make a VOP wizard.