PDA

View Full Version : Stardust

co_0kie
2007-10-19, 01:14 PM
I live in England, so Stardust has just come out for me - sorry if this got discussed a few months ago.

Well, I saw it a couple of nights ago and I thought it was absolutely awesome. I left the cinema feeling like I'd had a really good experience, it was just so magical and different and well executed and brilliantly cast.

I did read a rather underwhelmed review of it today, saying the storyline was "dull", but I totally disagreed.

And, just because, there were SO many hotties it was just ridiculous.

So what did everyone else think?

feghoot
2007-10-19, 10:44 PM
You... you really liked it? :smalleek:

A unicorn just happend by and... and he became a master swordsman in like 2 days after all that time he sucked at it in school... and the witch Won... oh just forget it.

webgem
2007-10-19, 10:49 PM
I really enjoyed it, yeah there was plenty of plot holes, and that did rag on me a bit, but it was a very fun adventurous type of movie. Really surprisingly good in my opinion.

Nibleswick
2007-10-19, 11:56 PM
You... you really liked it? :smalleek:

A unicorn just happend by and... and he became a master swordsman in like 2 days after all that time he sucked at it in school... and the witch Won... oh just forget it.

Never underestimate the power of a good training montage:smallbiggrin:

Executor
2007-10-20, 12:04 AM
I enjoyed it. It was funny and witty. Romantic without being mushy. Action-packed without being ridiculous. And provided a very different perspective on fantasy.

Prustan
2007-10-20, 02:09 AM
Less plot holes in the book, but I still enjoyed the movie. And the changes to De Niro's character made the movie much funnier too.

comicshorse
2007-10-20, 11:06 AM
I really liked it to. Yes there were holes in the plot but its a fairy-tale goddammit ! You're mean't to take it with a pinch of salt.
I was interested in the changes they made fom the book. Were they to slim it down for a movie or a 'holloywoodization' of some of the less family friendly elememts of the book.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-20, 12:04 PM
I love Gaiman's stuff and I'm going to see it tomorrow. Yaay!

Cyrano
2007-10-20, 12:07 PM
Excellent. It's like Princess Bride Lite, except instead of resurrection they have lightning bolts, and instead of giant people they have a unicorn.
AND MICHELLE PFEIFFER, FOO.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-20, 12:28 PM
*hugs his unicorn*

Fri
2007-10-21, 11:34 AM
I love the book, and I especially because of all of those mixed reviews, I can't wait to see it in theater when it arrives on my country (or if it arrives) :D
I guess I'll like it. I have this thing on fairytales that override my usual dislike of plothole.

DraPrime
2007-10-22, 04:44 PM
Here's my opinion: meh.

Leather_Book_Wizard
2007-10-23, 06:51 PM
The book was better.

Lyesmith
2007-10-27, 06:11 AM
I saw it with a good freind of mine, and we both very much loved it.

DeNiro was great, i havent seen nearly enough of his roles to claim it was his best ever, but the best i've seen. had both of us laughing like maniacs.
The plot in places was slightly obvious, but its meant to be in fairy tales, i've allways thought. I might even pick it up on DvD when it comes out.

And am i the only person that thought humphrey (Or whatever he's called. Victoria's other love intrest, who goes to ipswitch?) was the exact image of Westly from princess bride?

JadedDM
2007-10-28, 12:29 AM
And am i the only person that thought humphrey (Or whatever he's called. Victoria's other love intrest, who goes to ipswitch?) was the exact image of Westly from princess bride?

I thought so, too. At first, I thought it was the same actor, in fact.

The Prince of Cats
2007-10-28, 07:10 AM
I thought so, too. At first, I thought it was the same actor [as Princess Bride's Westly], in fact.
Cary Elwes is a little old now to have pulled off the part.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-28, 09:12 AM
I loved it, although the way they just chucked famous actors at you got on my nerves somewhat.

Ricky Gervais?!?! The man should be burnt at the stake; not paraded across happy-go-lucky book adaptations! :smallfurious:

Lyesmith
2007-10-28, 12:51 PM
I;m glad he was in it!

...if only because he got cursed and stabbed to death.
bwa ha ha.

JadedDM
2007-10-28, 05:44 PM
Cary Elwes is a little old now to have pulled off the part.

Yeah, I realized that later.

TheElfLord
2007-10-29, 12:38 PM
The book was better.

While I have not read the book, I would certainly hope so.

Books are almost always better than the movie version. In fact I can think of only two instances when this rule does not hold true.

I enjoyed the movie. It was a nice mix of fantasy and chick flick that made it a good date movie.

WalkingTarget
2007-10-29, 12:45 PM
Books are almost always better than the movie version. In fact I can think of only two instances when this rule does not hold true.

Off topic somewhat, but which two instances were you thinking?

TheElfLord
2007-10-29, 04:06 PM
Jaws and Moby ****.

Oh and Robert Dinero cracked me up (to keep things on topic)