PDA

View Full Version : Some help in designing powers! Pls and thank you!

Reijura
2007-10-19, 03:50 PM
So, am working on starting a new campaign for my group of friends, this shall be the first time I DM for the group ( usually one of my friends run the group), and am trying to be a bit creative in the type of world they play in, though with D&D books and tactics.

Now for the part that I require aid in.

This world is largely based on the Death Cycle series universe. Here's a link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_gate_cycle) for those interested

The players will play a role similar to that of the main protagonist (maybe even be in competition with said story NPC) though the kicker is that, that particular race has rune like magic that grant them magic. They'll be traveling worlds and what not as well.

In the case of balancing out for the player, am going let them pick whatever races they want and allow a handful of minor magical abilities that these runes give them (nothing gamebreaking of course). However, I am stuck on coming up with said powers.

My original thought is to have them be class based flavor abilities. With the more magical class having more options of course. (other option is race, though I don't like it I may be persuaded)

Here are some samples I've thought of. (only allowing core classes, were a simple group.) Books available, complete adventurer, PHB1, DM1/2, starting level 3 cause we don't like starting at 1 :smalltongue:

Fighter = +1 to hit and dmg, once a day per level

Barbarian = speed increase, extra move action, once a day per level

Bard = possible unique song spell (fits in flavor wise)

Sorceror= "rune chain" - kinda magical rope

Wizard = +1 dmg/hit on spell (depends on spell) Once a day per level

I'd appreciate any help and ideas, as well any cool non-gamebreaking powers would be helpful, I imagine the rune magic as a tool of all sorts for certain classes i.e life-support system, auto-translator and so on.

these beings are supposed to be bad-asses in an equally strong world so any help is appreciated.

My advance thanks for anyone that helps. ^.^

*edit - they don't have to be combat powers either, utility stuff/flavor helps as well.

cupkeyk
2007-10-19, 04:32 PM
The fighter's is weak. You could at have it as +(level) to hit and damage x level per day, or just give them smite as a paladin without the alignment restriction.

Reijura
2007-10-19, 04:37 PM
yea it is kinda weak, am just trying to not let it get a bit overpowered.

x per level is not to bad, I could also cap it at a certain point. +3 or 4 for example.

cupkeyk
2007-10-19, 04:46 PM
smite is just +4 to hit/ level to damage, 1 / 4 levels.

Reijura
2007-10-19, 07:57 PM
duly noted, I know I was forgetting something about the smite mechanic.

Reijura
2007-10-20, 01:08 PM
What of some defensive powers? I was pondering that maybe a small reflector of sorts would be nice. reflects 1-4 dmg a hit per x rounds or some such