PDA

View Full Version : Need some help making a campaign setting

Doresain
2007-10-20, 01:29 AM
this is just gunna be a world me and my group will play in...so far ive got the world labeled as "Hexxus" and ive got a small list of races, gods and how i want a few things to work out

Races

Humans will fill any possible role, from pirates to emperors etc...
Dwarves are gunna be more along the lines of norsemen...they typically live along the coast instead of mountains, and are excellent sailors, warriors, and navigators
Elves are gunna be separated into two racial groups for sure...the perfects and the scarred...the perfects will make for the majority of elven society, and are typically arrogant genocidal racists that hate ugliness, deformity and non-elves...the scarred make up those elves that i would prefer to be PC races, as they are cast from elven society for being "deformed" in some incredibly minor way that only the perfects seem to notice
Half-Elves other than the fact that they are the offspring of the scarred and humans, i have no story behind them
Goblins these guys are gunna take over for the gnomes as being the tinkerers and illusionists...i wanna make them one of the oldest races on the world next to the elves, but so far i havent developed much else beyond that
Halflings are gunna be tree dwellers and natural climbers...they have a very deep druidic background and tend to not interfere with most of the other races, especially goblins since they have a radically different outlook than themselves (technology vs nature sort of thing)
Orcs i never really liked half-orcs too much, so instead im just gunna put in straight orcs...they will be savage beastial warriors, yet not exactly evil...they simply emulate their patron deity of wrath and beasts

im trying to think of one more race that is a bit more exotic than the others, but nothing comes to mind...my friend suggested catfolk, but im not a furry fan so they will probably get the axe

Gods
something ive been wanting to do with this world for a while is make the gods actually reside on Hexxus itself...im still debating this...another thing i want to do is base 14 of the gods off of the seven virtues and vices...of course, a god representing a virtue can very well be evil, and vice versa (example: the god representing gluttony is just going to be the god of fertility or plenty, etc) im also thinking of a few other god-like entities that are the progenitors of some of the other monster races...as you can tell i havent put a whole lot of thought into this section

so far, this is really all ive gotten...i have an idea for four uber-entities that are imprisoned beyond time and space that represent the four horse men of the apocalypse...heck, the first campaign i plan on running in this setting is gunna be based around the entity representing the horseman of War

any ideas would be much appreciated, seeing as how this is the first time in about a year ive had the chance to actually sit down and start getting this stuff down on paper

triforcel
2007-10-20, 09:38 AM
Sounds like it's pretty well fleshed out. One of the things you might consider is having Pride as the ruler of the Elves at least in some fashion. Also, if the "four horseman" are so powerful, you'll need a reason for how and why they were sealed away in the first place. If they come back, the Gods should have some safeguards in place to handle the situation, but maybe they need the PCs to activate them. Or maybe the horseman need the PCs to disable them before they can fully manifest in the world.

Doresain
2007-10-20, 10:34 AM
yeah, already thought about making pride the god of the elves...

and as for the horesmen, unless i come up with something better, im just gunna say the gods combined their efforts to seal off each of them one by one...i havent thought of anything yet for a safeguard, but im working on it...

i aslo had an idea with outsiders...celestials, fiends and other creatures of the outer plans are unable to manifest physical bodies in Hexxus...the distance between their home plane and the material plane is so great their are just incapable of having a physical form without the help of either possession or magic...thought it would be a cool idea, but im still trying to work out how exactly summons/callings will work...

triforcel
2007-10-20, 04:24 PM
If you're looking for another race then you'll probably want to look through the Races books. Races of the Wild has Raptorans, Races of Stone has Goliaths, and Races of Destiny has Illumans. Not sure what other Races books there are though.

You'll probably also want to think about what classes you'll allow. You can't be afraid to forbid a class solely because it will damper the flavor of the campaign.

In addition to that, think about how magic is going to work and how that will effect spells. You said that summoning would work differently, what else will? Maybe some spells won't work at all.

I was thinking about it, and I thought it might be cool if the horsemen can only influence the world at first without directly entering it. For example, the bonds holding War begin to weaken and he spreads his influence out increasing hostilities between the elves and other races, etc.

Doresain
2007-10-20, 10:30 PM
If you're looking for another race then you'll probably want to look through the Races books. Races of the Wild has Raptorans, Races of Stone has Goliaths, and Races of Destiny has Illumans. Not sure what other Races books there are though.

yeah i thought about those...well raptorans at least since they are the only ones ive actually seen the stats for...i need the other race books...if all else fails i could just custom make a race for the setting

You'll probably also want to think about what
classes you'll allow. You can't be afraid to forbid a class solely because it will damper the flavor of the campaign.

i havent actually thought about this part yet...thought about going for the variant on generic classes, but that would make things rather dull i think

In addition to that, think about how magic is going to work and how that will effect spells. You said that summoning would work differently, what else will? Maybe some spells won't work at all.

this is the next thing i need to work on, or more specifically, planar travel spells and teleportation spells...i think conjuration is gunna give me the most problems thus far

I was thinking about it, and I thought it might be cool if the horsemen can only influence the world at first without directly entering it. For example, the bonds holding War begin to weaken and he spreads his influence out increasing hostilities between the elves and other races, etc.

i actually had an idea behind this...Legion (war) is unable to manifest a physical form when "he" first released upon Hexxus...being not one entity but millions formed into a sort of hivemind, "he" begins to possess the mortal denizens of the world, thus turning them into tainted ravers...this is just an idea i had, and im still working on it