PDA

View Full Version : Reel 'im in!

Tyrael
2007-10-20, 10:18 PM
Ahoy. My friend is running a seafaring campaign and using Stormwrack, and is particularly fond of the harpoon. I looked it over and we noticed something odd: Though the entry says you can control a creature's movement with an opposed STR check (DC10+damage dealt) much in the same way as a Net, what happens when you want to reel a person/creature in towards you? Opposed STR checks?

Another thought that came up was that of flying creatures. If a man is riding a Griffon and the Griffon gets harpooned and the player wants to draw him in, what happens? Opposed STR checks again? Ride check? Griffon reflex save to recover in midair due to being yanked off course?

What do you guys think?

Edit: He also wants me to add that the creature would be reeled in at 50ft/round (houserule).

XiaoTie
2007-10-20, 10:29 PM
I'm not an expert on the rules (actually, quite far from that), but on the first case I think a opposed STR check would make sense. And about the second case, how about opposed STR checks, but the mounted character could add his ride mod (if not all, at least some fraction of it) ?

Double_Negative
2007-10-20, 10:44 PM
I'm the other party in this, and I just feel that it'd have to make a reflex save as a recovery.

triforcel
2007-10-20, 10:54 PM
Making a reflex save to recover from being harpooned really wouldn't change the fact that the creature is harpooned. If it's being used as a mount, I can't see how the ride skill of the rider would help, but the rider could probably severe the line while making a ride check to stay in the saddle.

Double_Negative
2007-10-20, 11:16 PM
I mean to recover from being yanked 50ft in a random direction