PDA

View Full Version : Criticisms

Khosan
2007-10-21, 09:08 PM
Righto. I've diddled up my first avatar in GIMP, and for the most part I think it turned out pretty well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/Khosan/OotSatarfinal.png

I know it's not perfect, so I was wondering what sort of things I need to improve upon? Besides smoothing up some of the lines.

Brickwall
2007-10-21, 09:45 PM
You...what your first avatar? :smalleek:

*cough*

Observe the KISS rule. Keep It Simple Stupid. You have WAY too many details on there. Observe how Rich does his figures. See how the eyes are black, everything is monochrome, and bodies are a little longer than that.

For a GIMP, though, it's pretty good.

Last piece of advice: download Inkscape (or SodiPodi, but I can't guarantee quality on that one).

Ego Slayer
2007-10-21, 09:55 PM
GIMP, eh? While I feel vector programs (Inkscape, etc.) are better for avatar, amazing things have come from MS Paint, so carry on.

Good job, really. Thicker lines. 2pt/px is standard for the main parts, and 1pt/px for details. But, of course, I say play with line thickness as you see fit. I, lately, haven't been using 2pt lines. Not much else... good job for a first.

Erm, as Brickwall said... if you're shooting for a style loyal to Rich's, then you don't want too much detail... but... y'see my current avatar? Do what you want! :smallwink:

Brickwall
2007-10-21, 09:57 PM
y'see my current avatar? Do what you want! :smallwink:

Yeah! Have a nonexistant image! Be rebellious! :smalltongue:

Mr_Saturn
2007-10-21, 10:04 PM
(or SodiPodi, but I can't guarantee quality on that one).

Sure, bash the sodipodi avatarists. :smallmad:

Ego Slayer
2007-10-21, 10:10 PM
Yeah! Have a nonexistant image! Be rebellious! :smalltongue:
Huh? :smallconfused:

Khosan
2007-10-21, 10:16 PM
Believe he means the minimalist route.

I have taken that sage advice to heart, and present my next avatar. BEHOLD!

EDIT: Sarcasm aside, excuse me for a day or two while I try to figure out a new blasted art program. And I just got comfortable with GIMP.

Mr_Saturn
2007-10-21, 10:32 PM
I really like your invisible man. You put just the right amount of detail into that one.

I really expected to see an avatar there. Thanks for bringing my hopes up. :smallannoyed: :smallwink: :smalltongue:

Brickwall
2007-10-21, 10:47 PM
Huh? :smallconfused:

Your avatar is giving me an ImageShack "Image does not exist".

And I said I can't guarantee quality on Sodi because I've never used it. Duh.

Ego Slayer
2007-10-21, 11:09 PM
Your avatar is giving me an ImageShack "Image does not exist".
Figures. Stupid thing. I shows up for other people, though, including myself. o.O
Well, fixed now... I hope.

Dallas-Dakota
2007-10-22, 02:47 AM
First piece of art*struggles to realize*
im-im-impossible! unless you spend like more then one hour on it, you cant, you cant! do that!

Unless GIMP has something wonderous and a miracle for beginnners, becouse I have never used it.
And pretty much what the others said.
PS, Ego, I see your avatar.

V : Dr. bath, I know, I'm just amazed!

Dr. Bath
2007-10-22, 05:33 AM
That's very good! The problems I see are:
a) the lines are slightly pixelated, make sure that the image anti-alises (sp.) when you resize.
b) the eye is a bit big and the monocle is too small, also make the border of the eye slightly thicker.

Overall a very good first try, keep at it. Don't give up on GIMP (I am yet to make it work properly) but Inkscape or alternitive Vector programs are really easy to use.

And Dallas, it's entirely possible for that to be a first try. My first go wasn't that bad at all. Someone even used it for all of half a day!

Khosan
2007-10-22, 08:05 AM
First piece of art*struggles to realize*
im-im-impossible! unless you spend like more then one hour on it, you cant, you cant! do that!

Unless GIMP has something wonderous and a miracle for beginnners, becouse I have never used it.
And pretty much what the others said.
PS, Ego, I see your avatar.

V : Dr. bath, I know, I'm just amazed!

Actually, GIMP was relatively uncooperative. Things can happen to your brushes and pencils that aren't readily apparent as to why they're happening. Grand total time spent was probably about...4 to 5 hours.

GIMP doesn't particularly work well with this sort of thing, unless you have a drawing tablet, I imagine. I ended up using the selection tools more than anything, it does have some nice tools for that sort of thing (you can only affect things contained in your selection, primarily). And I never actually did any resizing. I started on a 117x117 thing and stuck with it. Although I can see how something larger might translate to a smaller scale better.

Other than that, blame most of the level of detail on me thinking, "There needs to be something there," and then running with it.

Dallas-Dakota
2007-10-22, 03:09 PM
.........5-4 hours? *gulps* my patience is not that big, I spent around 45 min-1 hour on my first piece of art.

But it explains a lot.

anyway, I've given my advice.
Good luck on your art!

Khosan
2007-10-24, 09:27 PM
Alright, second one is done. Done entirely in Inkscape, and I'm very proud of this one, hackneyed and cheap of a job as I did.

Problem is, what do I use to convert it to a proper .png? Or how do I get it to save as something useful?

Ego Slayer
2007-10-24, 09:53 PM
Problem is, what do I use to convert it to a proper .png? Or how do I get it to save as something useful?
File>Export Bitmap>Make sure it's going to make it png, and the dimensions are still their original numbers>Export.

Khosan
2007-10-24, 09:57 PM
Excellent, thanks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/Khosan/TFSpy2.png

Guess what my favorite Team Fortress 2 character is.

Hey hey, even more edits.

One more version, added the spray and a bit of cigar smoke.:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/Khosan/TFSpySpray.png

The Neoclassic
2007-10-29, 07:18 AM
I liked the first one better (eyes on the second are far too small for my liking), but they're both quite good, especially for an amateur. :smallsmile:

Khosan
2007-11-15, 12:41 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/Khosan/Khosexy.png

The discerning eye will note it's been less than a month, so it's not officially necromancy.

Anyway, this is another character of mine. Gnome. Terrified of intercourse. A rousing conversation over MSN brought up what he'd look like if he were involved.

Naturally, an old diving suit, oven mitts and the Zora flippers from Link to the Past came to mind.