PDA

View Full Version : The Scarlet Shadow IC

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Kyeudo
2008-02-02, 11:53 PM
Insar

"Glad to see you got here alright. Let's head over to the inn we're staying at and we can fill you in completely on what's going on."

Cubey
2008-02-03, 12:08 AM
"... Shortie?" Iskira dismounts her horse, holding the saddlebow to ensure that she jumps to the ground, instead of falling. "I find the term offensive, especially because I know you better Kadree, and I am aware that you are a good person! Moreover, why do you call me like that in the first place?" She took several steps towards Kadree as she spoke, standing quite close when she finished - making the height difference evident, as even though Kadree isn't tall, Iskira stands much shorter than her.
"Oh... my apologies for the outburst." She seems to have realised that too. "Let us get going to the inn you just spoke of, then."

You travel back in a company too large to lure thieves. As a side effect, you gather attention - apparently the vengeful horse goddess travels with companions now, because you have no trouble navigating through the usually-crowded Nexus streets, despite the mounts. No one tries to interrupt you nor run in panic however.

The inn doesn't have a stable of its own, but it is cooperating with a nearby stable - and that's where your mounts have been allocated. Iskira and Oak rent a smaller, two-man room, situated not far inside the building from yours.
She encounters you on that matter. "Well... I suppose it would not be uncomfortable for me to rest in one room with Oak, but... may I ask you to move in to his room instead?" That question was directed towards Insar. Apparently she'd like for the group to have an all-male and an all-female room. She looks quite embarassed about it too.

Regardless, nothing interesting happens during that day (doesn't mean you can't post what you did though!) - it was too late to contact Zerko, however. It does not apply to the day after though - it starts in the late morning, when you encounter no one else but Glorious Burning Tree's assistant, as she enters Trade-Prince's Rest to rent a room by her own! And that is just the first unusual thing that was to happen...

joseybird
2008-02-03, 12:29 AM
A small, slight figure draped in a long, hooded traveling cloak steps into the inn and pauses to pull back her hood from where it covers her face. A pair of familiar blue eyes rest upon the party, and you recognize her as Tree's young assistant. Far from looking surprised, she approaches the party and gives a polite little curtsy of greeting. "Good-day, Sirs. I bring a message from Her Ladyship. If you are not otherwise engaged, she would that we talk privately of matters." She looks up at the several of you (she is, you will notice, slightly smaller than Iskira) with polite, shy expectancy. From a distance, without a good view of her face, she might have looked to be in her late teens, but the delicate features of her countenance surely can't belong to a girl older than 14 or 15.

Kyeudo
2008-02-03, 01:54 AM
Insar

(I have been having the definate feeling that most innkeepers we've met think I'm a lech, since I tend to travel with four women and only one other guy. Splitting up into all women and all men rooms is more than fine, if too late to combat any such reputation.)

"Glad to hear it. Please, come up to our rooms. The larger one can easily accomadate all of us. Better than talking in the common room, that's for sure."

joseybird
2008-02-03, 02:03 AM
(Nah. We just say you're our concubine.)

The girl nods and, drawing her hood back over her face, follows the party to the larger of the two bedrooms.

When the door is securely fastened, she removes her cloak and returns her attention to the adventurers. "Before we get down to substantive manners, I should introduce myself: I am Margot," she murmurs, then blushes, very slightly. "Her Ladyship's Red Tape, so to speak. I hope I did not offend when first we met."

Tengu
2008-02-03, 02:04 AM
Kadree raises her hand in a greeting, smiling in a friendly manner - she's not one for formal greetings, is she...

"Hello again! We're happy to see you again and, just as my friend here just said, come on in, we will all fit in the larger room easily. Don't worry, all the six of us are together, and none of us will tell to an outside source what is the message your lady wants to give us. Unless it's nothing confidential, of course! But somehow I doubt that..."

She shakes her head. "And don't worry, you didn't even remotely offend us! If anything, it's our group who made a bad impression... anyway, I am Kadree, nice to meet you! This is Norbo." Her familiar is on her shoulder as usual, looking unimpressed.

Kyeudo
2008-02-03, 01:19 PM
Insar

"My name is Insar Namere. Pleased to make your aquaintence. Don't worry too much about Kadree. She likes to talk a little too much. This is Mariko, Emerald Star, Oak, and the short lady is Iskira," Insar points out each in turn, with a playful smirk on his face as he says the last. "Last we met, I was more annoyed at the guard. If you can't get what you payed for in Nexus, what's the point of coming here?"

joseybird
2008-02-03, 01:20 PM
Margot smiles at Kadree in acknowledgment, then to her familiar, touching her fingers to her lips in amusement at the expression she so often sees on her employer mirrored on the animal's face. She smiles and giggles at Insar's remark. "In Nexus, it is always important to know whether you're dealing in a buyer's market, or a seller's. Her Ladyship and her household most definitely falls in the latter category."

Once introductions are over, Margot gets down to business. "I am under orders from Her Ladyship to update you on the progress she is making on the scroll. She has thus far made good progress, and she wishes that I tell you that what she has learned thus far is both wonderful and troubling." She pauses. "But she feels the difficulty of translating in a vacuum, so to speak; she needs context. How you obtained the scroll, why you brought it to her, why you are in such a hurry, what you plan to do with it once it has been translated..." She lowers her eyes and clasps her hands before her. "Her Ladyship understands that this information may be rather intimate, but she wishes to remind you that she is doing you a great favor and assure you that such information is vital to her continued progress on translating the scroll."

Her eyes return, shyly, to your faces. "I apologize for my impertinence. She has bid me not return until I can bring her the information she needs."

Kyeudo
2008-02-03, 01:50 PM
Insar

"Well them, since it is nessacery, I will fill in the details. We aquired the scroll as payment for protecting a small village. Shortly thereafter, a group of Dragon Blooded called upon us and offered us a great deal of money for the scroll. We had been entrusted to keep the scroll safe from the Empire, so we attempted to flee in the night, but as we tried to leave the Dragon Blooded found us. When we refused to give up the scroll they attacked us. We managed to fight them off, killing two of them. On one of the bodies we found a message indicating that your employer could translate the scroll. That led us here. We are in such a hurry because we have reason to believe that the Dragon Blooded may already be in Nexus and they will likely stop at nothing to get the scroll and it's translation."

joseybird
2008-02-03, 02:21 PM
Margot listens quietly, her eyes widening as Insar speaks. When he mentions that the party had protected a small village, her small hands clench convulsively, then relax. "You...protected a village? You...you killed Dragon Blooded?" Her musical voice is laden with emotion--not fear or horror, but something you can't quite place. She looks a little faint.

Kyeudo
2008-02-03, 02:24 PM
Insar

"I didn't say either of those were easy to do. The Dragon Blooded almost killed Iskira. We would have been here a week sooner if we hadn't needed to wait for her to heal up."

joseybird
2008-02-03, 02:35 PM
The girl grasps for a nearby chair and settles herself into it, still pale. She scans your faces. "Mortals cannot defeat Dragon-Blooded," she states, quietly. There is a hint of a question on her tone.

Cubey
2008-02-03, 05:31 PM
During the introduction, Emerald Star nods in acknowledgement as Insar points her out. She doesn't say anything, apparently not seeing a need to add to the conversation because he betrayed all the information already.
As for Iskira, she twitches lightly at Insar's comment, like if stung. "Well... yes. I am very pleased to make an acquaintance, and I am sure so is everyone else present at this situation."

"We had the advantage of terrain, and luck." Emerald Star voices her opinion when the subject of battling Dragon-Blooded appears. She puts one of her fans in front of her face, partially concealing it as she has a habit of doing. "They also underestimated us, but it still was a really tough battle. You could say we are fortunate to be here alive."

The discussion is interrupted by a sudden knock to the door! It repeats itself, then a folded piece of paper appears on the floor, apparently slipped under the door itself. You hear steps of someone walking down the hallway.

Kyeudo
2008-02-03, 05:35 PM
Insar

"Mortals can defeat Anathema, with difficulty. Why not the same for the Dragon Blooded?" Insar says the word Anathema with distaste.

At the knock on the door, Insar will open it and try to see who it might be that knocked, then examine the piece of paper if no one can be seen.

Tengu
2008-02-03, 06:26 PM
Who's talking too much here? If you omitted some of the parts of our story we wouldn't have to explain ourselves now, Insar...

"It's just as my friends say - sometimes raw power can be overwhelmed by tactics and force of will! Though we didn't think we'd make it alive when the battle started... huh, what's that?" The message catches Kadree's attention. Since Insar already tries to find out who left it, she checks the actual piece of paper herself in the meantime.

joseybird
2008-02-03, 08:41 PM
Margot listens to the three adventurers explain their companion's words, the color returning to a a quietly neutral, attentive face. She rises, then nods. "I understand. I apologize for prying, though I thank you for your frankness. Her Ladyship will be satisfied, and will welcome you back when she has finished her translation." She slips her cloak back around her shoulders and draws the hood up; the cloak is quite large, and she is barely visible beneath it. "It was a pleasure meeting you all; I am sure we shall meet again soon. I do hope the translation is to your satisfaction." She bows her head again in acknowledgment. "Farewell."

She turns to leave, then pauses. "Is there any message you would that I take back to Her Ladyship?"

Kyeudo
2008-02-04, 12:30 AM
Insar

"I would advise her to be careful. The Dragon Blooded may try to get the scroll by force. Farewell."

joseybird
2008-02-04, 12:39 AM
Margot nods. "Thank you. I shall convey the warning. Please stay safe yourselves, too."

She leaves the room, closing the door carefully behind her, and exits the inn, making her way back to Tree.

Kyeudo
2008-02-04, 01:11 AM
(When did the blacksmith say that the armor would be fixed? It will probably come in handy fairly soon.)

Jannex
2008-02-04, 01:11 AM
When the paper is slipped under the door, Mariko is there immediately, at Insar's side when he retrieves the missive. She, too, glances outside when he opens the door, and listens intently for the direction of the receding footfalls, trying to glean any information she can from them.

Spending 5 motes of Personal Essence on Sensory Acuity Prana.
Perception+Awareness: [roll0]
She hopes for a solid enough sense of direction that she can follow the person who delivered the note, if necessary, once Insar opens it and she learns its contents.

Cubey
2008-02-04, 02:43 PM
The person leaving is no one else but one of the inn's innumerable clerks. He may or may not have noticed your gaze following him, but he did notice Margot, from all things.
"Ah! Greetings, my fair lady. Did you receive your message? I just delivered it - slipped it under the door, I did. I know our honorable customers appreciate privacy."

The message has a quickly-scrabbled note written on it, directed not towards you but rather for the girl who just left your room. It is from no one else but Glorious Burning Tree, who wants to meet her as soon as possible due to a very urgent matter. She (Margot, that is) can't, and shouldn't, come back to the mansion, but rather to another place - there is an address. There is no explanation on why is it so.

(The armorer didn't say anything about when the breastplate will be ready.)

joseybird
2008-02-04, 04:34 PM
The girl pauses in her stride when she is addressed and turns to the speaker. Frowning very slightly, she dips back into the room and takes the note from Insar with hesitant fingers. She glances at the note, and her blue eyes widen as she reads, her already ivory skin growing pale with worry. "Thank you, sir," she mummers to the clerk, drawing from her cloak a small coin, which she presses into his hand.

Tucking the note into her cloak, she hurries from the inn toward the address listed.

Tengu
2008-02-04, 04:59 PM
"Ahem... guess there was a horrible mistake, he he..." Kadree rubs the back of her head uneasily, smiling in a nervous way. That clerk should have said whom is that message for!

(Did any of us manage to read the note before Margot got it?)

Cubey
2008-02-04, 10:25 PM
Yes, you managed to read it. It was a rather short note, after all.

Tengu
2008-02-05, 03:26 AM
Kadree waits till Margot disappears out of hearing range, then turns to her companions with a suddenly serious face.
"I don't know about you, but I'm going to follow her. My gut tells me that there is something suspicious here... maybe even connected to our enemies."

Kyeudo
2008-02-05, 01:43 PM
Insar

"I would agree. Also, she is a young girl walking alone in Nexus. How she got here unmolested is a miracle in itself. I doubt she can be so lucky twice in a row."

Jannex
2008-02-05, 03:24 PM
Mariko shrugs. "Presumably she's been here long enough to know how to handle walking the streets, under normal circumstances. But you might be right; this doesn't strike me as a normal circumstance in the least." She bites her lip. "If you want to follow her without being seen, maybe I should trail her directly, and then you follow me, at a little distance. I'm decently good at going unnoticed, especially in Nexus."

There is a moment's pause before she speaks again, her tone slightly grim. "I'd been wondering how long we would have until those three put in an appearance."

Tengu
2008-02-05, 03:32 PM
"The usual following tactics, then - Mariko first, me after her, and the rest (whomever might that be) after me. In spaces just large enough not to make anyone thing we're actually together... So, let's get going - quickly, before we lose her."

joseybird
2008-02-05, 05:12 PM
Margot walks down the streets of Nexus as quickly as she dares without drawing undo attention to herself. Her cloak and hood she holds tightly about her, so that her distinctive face and golden hair are--she hopes--hidden from any passer-by not content to mind their own business. She gazes straight ahead as she walks, blocking out all distractions and trying not to fret that the only weapon she has on her person is a small punching dagger. Glorious Burning Tree was, after all, a force to be reckoned with, and surely--since trouble couldn't have occurred and the the note couldn't have been written long after Margot left Tree--the lady was already well-protected.

She wouldn't have told me to meet her at an unsafe rendezvous point, surely. I just need to worry about getting her the information I've learned as quickly as possible.

Fortunately, it does not seem she is being followed or watched, and with the noise and distractions of the shops and passersby, no one hears the urgent steps made by the child-sized calfskin boots or the rustle of the dark cloak as they pass by the bustle of Nexus, their wearer oblivious to the wonders that bring so many gawking travelers here every day.

Cubey
2008-02-05, 06:02 PM
Margot follows the directions, going west - the surroundings slowly stop being the busy market streets of Nexus, and changing into an equally busy but dirty and soot-stained Nighthammer. Fortunately, you don't have to wander deep into the district, as that'd mean trouble for sure.

Nevertheless, you noticed some unsavoury types watching, and felt a certain itch on the neck that makes you think there were more of them behind you. Still, they didn't try to advance towards you, nor follow - just watch from their positions. Weird.

You approach the destination point - a large warehouse owned by Tree herself. It isn't used for the time being, and looks empty, cold and dark, forming a contrast with the warm morning that (somehow) manages to make even Nexus looks a bit more sunny than usual. The great gates for carts and merchandise are closed, but there is an entry door for personnel on the side - apparently that's the way you should enter.
Strangely, not only the door isn't locked, it's wide open. Either Tree thinks no one will try to steal things from an empty warehouse, or she left it open for you because she knows you have no key. Still... the dark inside doesn't look very promising, and you have a feeling there are shadows lurking just behind that door, ready to snatch you as soon as you enter - that could be just your imagination, though.

joseybird
2008-02-05, 06:30 PM
Margot heightens her pace in discomfort, hoping that the watching eyes are merely curious and bored. Surely, cloaked as she is, she appears to be little more than a mere messenger, or just another traveler, perhaps late to some appointment.

She pauses at the gate, lifting a small, fair hand from her cloak to lean briefly against the cold metal as she gazes at her destination. She bites her lip, a little anxious despite herself. The trouble must indeed be bad if Tree had been forced to flee here.

For a moment, doubt troubles the girl's mind.
But only Tree knew I was at the inn, and it was her handwriting...and light, I can't afford to waste any more time!

She was wasting time just dawdling here. Steeling herself and pulling her hood back form her face so as to be recognizable to her employer, she enters the warehouse, closing and bolting the doors behind her, just in case the unscrupulous types who had been watching on the street got it into their heads to follow her.

Cubey
2008-02-05, 07:09 PM
Margot enters the darkness of the warehouse, closes and barres the door. Hmm - it seems there are some boxes around. The place isn't completely empty.

Anyway. As soon as she does that, she can hear a loud clap, followed by a flash of light! Light shines through windows high upon the wall, previously concealed by some kind of thick leather blankets. It reveals the inside of the warehouse (one huge room, practically, with boxes and what looks like wine casks strewn around), but also, more importantly, the cause of the light's reveal.

That is, the band of ragtag-looking, armed people that sit around the warehouse! Some of them leisurely lean on the boxes, others are simply appearing from their hiding places. Apparently they were hidden behind the containers that are all over this room, invisible only because of the darkness. Most of them have rather bad grins on their faces, but they stay on their positions.

"Welcome!" A deep male voice rings from right next to you - to the left. What you see is a large, muscular but somehow friendly-looking man with bronze skin and shoulder-long blonde hair. He leans above you, clad in elegant black clothing, a pair of hook swords in his hands.
"Take a seat, little girl. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience, but we need you as... how they call it? Ah yes. Bait. You're not the one we're after, so be quiet and nothing bad will happen. To you, that is." He smiles widely as he says these words, his expression being a stark contrast to his threatening words.

All of this shock would make you miss one more person, if she was not impossible to miss due to... sticking out of the background, shall we say. Right smack in the center of the warehouse, magnificently stands a woman who seems to be in her mid 20s. Her skin is extremely fair and her hair, tied up in elaborate ringlets, is fiery red. Her features are classically beautiful, unrivaled by most people whom you have met, ever. She wears a long, bright red gown with a billowing skirt, and tastefully chosen golden jewelery - it all looks extremely expensive and high-class. Unarmed and quiet, she simply stays there, watching you with an expression of curiosity on her face.

Mariko has noticed Margot disappearing into the warehouse, and closing the door. That is all - there aren't any windows on the building's front.

joseybird
2008-02-05, 07:44 PM
Margot freezes as the tableau is revealed; it is all she can do to keep from sinking to her knees in fear and bitterness at having been tricked.

No...not Dragon-Blooded, surely..but whom, then?

Lady Tree's enemies? But surely she wouldn't come herself if she heard her assistant needed rescuing. And she could not recall hearing anything of this impressive woman before her.

It is surprisingly easy to steel herself to a false calm. Whoever it is they wanted needed her assistance, and while there was nothing she could presently do to escape or warn this individual, she might at least attempt to distract the most threatening characters in this tableau.

Margot straightens, and she shrugs off her cloak as if she were in her boudoir and not in a strange, dark warehouse full of thugs and enemies. Her glance up at the grinning man is calm and cool and projects as much dignity as she can muster. Spend 6 personal essence on Harmonious Presence Meditation; then 3 motes of personal essence on Mastery of Small Manners

"No thank you," she mummers coolly, her blue eyes flickering to his, then glancing away, unmoved.Charisma+Presence, including appropriate bonuses

She moves towards the striking woman and pauses several yards away. Dipping a shallow but polite curtsy, she asks, "Whom do I have the honor of addressing and whom, may I ask, is your intended quarry?" She meets the woman's gaze levelly, like an equal. Her voice--soft and polite--mirrors the woman's curiosity. I'm not a silly child to be used and disposed with!Charisma+Socialize, again with appropriate bonuses

Jannex
2008-02-05, 07:55 PM
Mariko makes a quick and silent circuit of the building, looking for any windows on the edifice's other faces through which she might see what's happening inside. If necessary, she'll make her way to the roof for a better view--on a wall facing away from the street, so as not to attract the curious stares of passers-by. If she cannot find any accessible windows, she will listen at the door, trying to determine what's happening inside.

Question: how many days have passed since we arrived in Nexus? For the purposes of healing and wound penalties, I'm curious, and I've been having a bit of a hard time keeping track.

Another question: Is Mariko's Sensory Acuity Prana still up, or is it a different scene now, meaning she'd have to reactivate it?

Dexterity+Stealth-WP: [roll1]

If necessary, Mariko will spend 2 motes of Personal Essence on Spider-Foot Style to climb the back wall of the building to the roof. Let me know.

joseybird
2008-02-05, 08:02 PM
First Roll:[roll0]

Second Roll:[roll1]

(I hope I didn't make any mistakes?)

Cubey
2008-02-05, 08:45 PM
I'm recording damage - as you may have noticed, one of your -1 health levels has healed already. Sensory Acuity Prana doesn't work anymore - it lasts only for ~15 minutes, and more time has passed than that.

Joseybird - your rolls are okay, including all the positive modifiers. Yes, she is a diplomacy monster. That's worth a 1-die stunt, too.

Mariko's charm allows her to easily climb up the warehouse's side, placing herself at a large window situated near the top of the wall. She has an excellent observation point, from which she can see everything that goes on inside the building - and so far she stays undetected, too.

A smile disappears from the man's face as a reaction to Margot's cutting words. He looks... dumbfounded? Other thugs gasp and otherwise look surprised too.
"Well..." He cannot gather words easily.

"It is not in his will to decide what you should do now. Nor yours." The woman speaks up, tilting her head as she observes Margot and her strangely effective rejection.

As Margot walks towards her, the ruffians take steps back, leaving plenty of space for both of you (except for their leader, who still stays there dumbfounded). You could swear that a beam of light that falls from the window on you two is stronger than the others, like if illuminating an arena.

"Pretty face and pretty manners. Too bad you are also pretty dumb, otherwise you wouldn't get caught like this so easily." The woman smirks, but beads of sweat appear on her face as no bandit chuckles to her insult - they are too terrified (or maybe awed?) to even approach a step closer, even less about saying something. The smirk turns into a grimace and she shakes her head lightly, her earrings and other trinkets she wears on the head colliding with each other and sending gentle ringing sounds.
"I am Sesus Taeka. We are waiting for the Dawning Suns mercenary company - you've met them not so long ago, at your very own employer's house."

"Wait until they appear... there is no leaving this building." Judging by the befuddled state of the hired thugs, you are not so sure... they probably wouldn't mind if you just left. Hell, they might even open the door for you if you ask nicely.

"I really wish I knew what is going on inside this building! This is extremely worrying, and I suspect some dark machinations of agents of evil!" Iskira clenches her fists, looking at the warehouse so intensely that you expect it to burst into flames any second now.

"Don't worry. I trust Mariko - she will let us know if any trouble rises. And then we will charge in, just in time for rescue." Emerald Star, on the other hand, is strangely calm, her hands crossed and a light smile playing on her lips.

EDIT: Yoink! I stole Jannex's color.

Tengu
2008-02-05, 09:08 PM
Kadree is too curious to wait down there, though - the moment she spots Mariko climbing up to that window, she looks around to see if nobody is watching, and if that's the case she jumps up to that window herself - to minimize the amount of space she's taking she is hanging from her arms, though, lifting herself up just enough to see what is inside the warehouse.

This does not look, nor sound, good. We should probably wait for some time... but after a while, they might get angry by lack of progress and Margot will be in danger...

1 more spend on Monkey Leap Technique. Rolls... At the ST's discretion. I'm lazy, yeah.

joseybird
2008-02-05, 09:14 PM
A Sesus!
But she doesn't know...she can't...Just my luck..

"So by your own admission, only a fool would fall into your trap? I see..." She takes a couple of casual steps closer, raising her chin almost imperceptibly and looking into the woman's face with a look of barely suppressed...disappointment? She turns away, as if somewhat bored an unimpressed, and her gaze flits about to examine the faces of the thugs about her. "So I am a fool. I am 15 years old, with no formal education, and of peasent stock. You are...." Her blue eyes return to the woman, measuring her without expression. "Several times my age, pampered and trained like a wolfhound, given the finest education, treated like a godling...."
A small, amused smile flickers over her face as she ticks off the litany on her fingers, and she turns her back to the woman, casually glancing from window to window, then down again, dispassionately, to the wine casks strewn about.
"So...what's *your* excuse?"

The girl's tone throughout has been light, bitingly casual, with the very barest hint of veiled dismissal.

She is standing near one of the sweating thugs now. With a light gesture, she plucks the cap from his head and examines it with the vague interest of a bored noblewoman in an empty parlor examining a newly-crocheted doily. Pausing, she glances back up at the woman, briefly, her eyebrows innocently raised, as if she had just asked the woman what she had eaten for breakfast.

(Can I assume that the previous rolls still hold? Or should I roll again?)

Kyeudo
2008-02-05, 09:16 PM
(Once Mariko comes back and reports, I would love to make a dramatic entrance of the "down through the skylight" kind. Can I also get onto the roof, and what would I need to roll to drop to the floor without hurting myself?)

Cubey
2008-02-05, 09:41 PM
(Kyeudo: You are strong and athletic enough to jump onto the roof. The problem is that the created thud will be probably possible to hear inside the building, alerting people to your presence. You can also try climbing if you want to have a stealthy approach. As for damage - Rule of Cool is in action, if something is dramatic then I do not see why the players should be punished for it. It's just a warehouse, not an endless pit.
Joseybird: A new roll is required, I'll roll for it myself. That's a 2-die stunt, this time. I really liked the hat thing.)

Kadree easily jumps to the window, and she too is in a position to observe what is going on inside the warehouse. It doesn't seem people inside noticed her, either - really, they have more pressing matters to take care of.

The thug sweats visibly and takes a few steps back as Margot takes his cap. Others, too, try to retreat, obviously afraid of the girl who, although tiny and frail, seems to maintain an aura of strange majesty.

"Hmph!" The Sesus lady crosses her arms and lowers her head - not as a sign of respect, but rather arrogance. "You are in no position to demand excuses. But just so you know - I do not have any." She rises her sight to meet Margot's gaze - her eyes look like if a real firestorm was raging inside of them, furious and uncontrolled. "I do not need an excuse, because a fool I am not! Enough! You will stay silent now. I see that beautiful face hides a nasty, poisonous tongue."

joseybird
2008-02-05, 09:50 PM
The girl's eyes twinkle as she listens to the woman rant, her head tilted slightly to one side, so that her golden curls stream down her back in a golden cascade.

And she laughs--a musical, sweet sound of genuine, undisguised merriment which slowly subsides as she hides her smile behind the cap in her hand. She regards the woman much as a knowing child regards a fool hired to caper for her amusement.

Kyeudo
2008-02-05, 09:56 PM
Insar

"Would someone be so kind as to tell me exactly what is going on in there?" Insar wispers up at the girls in the window.

Climbing up would be Strength+Athletics, right? At what difficulty?

Tengu
2008-02-05, 09:59 PM
Don't provoke them! They will hurt you if you push them enough!

Expecting trouble, Kadree closes her eyes and inhales deeply, imbuing the muscles in her body with essence. After that, she materializes Vanguard in her hand, though she keeps the gleaming blade out of the window - it could be easily spotted, after all.

Norbo is not with her, of course - he's... somewhere. Probably sitting on a nearby building's roof.

6 motes to increase Strength by 2 with Strength Increasing Exercise. 1 mote for Summoning The Loyal Steel.

Jannex
2008-02-05, 09:59 PM
Then Mariko would've spent another 5 Personal Essence to reactivate Sensory Acuity Prana; she wouldn't want to go into this situation less than fully aware. I've spent the Essence.

From her vantage point at the window, Mariko takes careful note of the number and positions of the mortal thugs. Another Sesus. So our concerns were right--that's far too much of a coincidence to be unrelated. Either the family has sent another agent in, after the previous group's failure, or our friends have called in reinforcements... If the latter were the case, I'd expect that the three who escaped us wouldn't be far, but where are they--the warrior, the Immaculate, and the other woman? She barely suppresses a shudder, recalling the Dragon-Blooded girl's eerie way of noticing her. Mariko's gaze sweeps across the nearby rooftops and alleyways, searching for the missing Terrestrials. After our last encounter, they would know precisely how much of a force to be reckoned with we are, after we killed two of their number. They wouldn't send a single Exalt to confront us, with only a bunch of mortals as backup. Either the others are waiting in ambush, or she's trying to set us up somehow... Expose us, maybe? Draw down the wrath of the Council?

She nods to Kadree, when the other girl joins her by the window. Gesturing for her to stay out of sight, Mariko turns to descend to where the others are waiting, when she notices Insar scaling the wall below her. When he arrives, she quickly, quietly, and thoroughly details the positions of everyone inside, mortal, Exalt, and hostage.

Tengu
2008-02-05, 10:02 PM
(I think that's a different Dragonblooded, Jannex - the one with the Warstrider was named Tanime, looked different and was Earth aspect.

And by the way - what are the sources of light in the building? And is there something hanging underneath the ceiling?)

Jannex
2008-02-05, 10:05 PM
((Erg. *facepalm* Fixing... Sorry.))

Cubey
2008-02-05, 10:26 PM
There aren't any sources of light, but there are ropes, pulleys and similar things at the ceiling, undoubtedly used to transport heavy crates in the warehouse itself.

A bead of sweat appears on the tip of Taeka's face, and falls to the ground.
"I see now. I doubt the mercenaries would come to rescue such a brat like you. Too bad, I wanted to tell them very important things. I guess I will leave then... what's that?" She looks really surprised as she asks the last question, and you hear some rumbling coming from the back wall of the warehouse!

"..." Emerald Star suddenly grimaces and whips out her fans in an immediate move. "Watch out! Something's co..."

Everything is interrupted by a loud, crashing sound! What Margot sees is that something made a hole in the wall in front of her - a huge hole, nevertheless, almost twice the size of a man. To make matters worse, she cannot see WHAT exactly was the cause - there seems to be... something standing in it, but you can't see what it is! It is hidden in a cloud of misty fog, making discerning of any features, or even the most general body shape, impossible! The only exception is a long, green insectoid-like limb, which ends in a razor-sharp blade and points towards you as the cloud unhastily (but imminently) hovers forward...

The thugs inside the building look shocked, and so is the Dragon-Blooded. She, however, has enough willpower to take a few steps to the side, making sure there is nothing but air between Margot and the hidden creature - because you're pretty sure it isn't a human...

(It's about 10 yards from you. Feel free to declare combat actions - it seems it wants to shed your blood. Badly.)

Kyeudo
2008-02-05, 10:31 PM
Insar

Seeing Kadree summon her weapons, Insar knows something must be up, and nothing good at that. He'll climb up beside the girls to see what's going on, since no one will tell him anything.

6 motes on Strength Increasing Excercise
Strength+Athletics-WP:[roll0]

Tengu
2008-02-05, 10:38 PM
(Kyeudo - Mariko jumped down to tell everyone what has she seen so far...)

Damn, what's that? Whatever it is, I'm sure it's not friendly!

Kadree pulls herself up to the window's frame, kneels in it, and jumps into the inside of the warehouse, right between the monster and Margot! She stands in a defensive position, holding her weapon high and her buckler in front of her, ready to protect the other girl from danger - concentrating on the creature, but glancing to the sides to see if any of the thugs want to attack, too.

Another 1 mote on Monkey Leap Technique.
Initiative: [roll0]+15
Action: Full Parry

joseybird
2008-02-05, 10:49 PM
Margot's eyes widen, and she gasps a little as she staggers backwards from the thing.

No claws.... She fumbles at her side and withdraws a small punching dagger and holds it out defensively. Just a few feet away, she can see the thug who first addressed her gawking at the thing. She reaches back and pushes at his arm. "Run! Take your men and run!" Then she turns her attention back to the monster and falls into a Tiger Style stance. Despite her earlier bravado, now she looks like she might very well faint.

Jannex
2008-02-05, 10:54 PM
((Sorry, Kyeudo; when I read your post, I thought it said that Insar was already climbing up, so I had Mariko update him when he got there. My reading comprehension seems subpar tonight... :smallredface: ))

Mariko's eyes widen in alarm as the creature breaks through the wall of the building on which she's perched. What?! Where did that thing come from, and how did I not hear it coming? Even as the thought crosses her mind, she watches Kadree dive through the window and into the fray below. She glances at Insar. "I'm going to try to get behind it--maybe I can get Margot out of there." She starts out across the roof of the building, her soft-soled boots almost soundless on the rough surface of the warehouse roof, trying to get above the disturbance.

((Actually, question. You described this thing as breaking through the back wall of the building... I thought we were at the back wall, because Mariko didn't want to be seen climbing the walls from the street. Maybe we can clarify?))

Kyeudo
2008-02-05, 10:58 PM
Insar

(I assume that my successes are more than enough to reach the roof)

Seeing an oppourtunity, Insar will scale the wall to the roof, racing across the warehouse to the hole made by that thing. Summoning Legacy to his hand with a flash of golden light, the Solar will leap down inside, striking out furiously at the thing with all his Exalted strength. Landing, Insar comes up in a wide stance, ready to defend himself or others.

Inititive: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
I'll wait to roll my parries until I need them. One's at 6 and the others at 5.

Cubey
2008-02-05, 11:49 PM
Yeah... I forgot you were at the back. At any rate, the creature appeared from the side where there wasn't anyone of you - so in this case, from the left side.
Insar received enough successes to climb as he did, and he also gets 1 stunt die.

As Kadree jumps through the window, the weird monster focuses its attention on her, sliding in closer! But then, Insar strikes forth, dealing a powerful blow - which gets easily deflected by a hook sword that suddenly appears from inside the cloud, supported by a bug-like arm, just like the blade that now aims threateningly towards Kadree!

The blade itself strikes at her twice - each hit strong and quick enough to skewer a normal human, but you are more than just mere mortals... 5 and 2 successes, easily parried.

"Run...?" The man shakes his head in confusion, then smiles in a friendly manner. "That's not why we're here... MEN! Attack the newcomers, NOW!" He shouts loudly, then tries to swing one of his weapons across Kadree's back. 4 successes, but she quickly turns back and deflects the hit with her weapon.
"I'm sorry, but you're not leaving alive..."

At the same time, the door to the warehouse gets kicked in - yes, even though it was barred from the inside! As it flies forward, it reveals the small stature of Iskira, standing in a heroic pose as she is ready to rescue whomever is inside against the monstrosity of the darkness. Emerald Star also runs forward, making use of this opening, her fans placed in defensive positions, ready to deflect incoming hits.

The dragon-blood watches it all in surprise, not doing anything but neither being bothered by anyone. The thugs, however, slowly snap out of it and start to circle you, wielding batons and ugly-looking long knives! It's a wonder how quickly a human's mind can get over such stuff as weird, unseen monsters - too bad it works to your disadvantage this time.

(Next round coming right up.)

Tengu
2008-02-06, 12:09 AM
"Damn ingrates! If it wasn't for us, this monster would now be busy shredding you to pieces! You should reconsider your choice..."

Kadree strikes at the man feebly, purposely letting him parry the attack with his swords and grab her blade into their hooks - and then she suddenly pulls back strongly, trying to wrestle them from his hands and send them flying over her head into the monstrosity's direction! If she succeeds, she quickly spins around to face the monster, supposedly losing interest in her human opponent, as if he wasn't too weak to be worth her effort. She also moves a bit closer to Margot, trying to keep all the opponents' attention on herself instead of the scared girl. "Don't worry. Nothing will happen to you as long as we're here."

I am doing two disarm attempts on the thug leader, but I'm not sure do weapon accuracy modifiers count for it - these rolls are without them.
1: [roll1]
2: [roll2]

Parry all attacks with Dipping Swallow Defense.

joseybird
2008-02-06, 12:19 AM
Margot, seemingly rooted to the spot, nods vaguely. But her lips are colorless and trembling, and she sways unsteadily. She stares mutely at the monstrous thing.

Jannex
2008-02-06, 12:34 AM
Mariko drops down outside the building beside the hole in the wall, landing in an alert crouch. Drawing the daiklaive from its sheath at her back, she slips inside, trying to blend into the background as the battle rages around her and draws the attention of the combatants. She keeps her weapon low, trying to take advantage of the mist that shrouded the creature and the boxes scattered about the room to conceal her presence as she works her way across the warehouse floor toward Margot.

Initiative: [roll0]
Declaring full dodge for the round, activating Reed in the Wind (spending Peripheral Essence, but using the Night Caste ability to spend twice as much to avoid adding to her anima) if attacked.

Kyeudo
2008-02-06, 01:56 AM
Insar

"We drop in to fix the problem these monkeys cause, and this is the thanks we get? Fine, they can reap what the sow." With that, the big man turns from the monster and charges into the crowd of thugs, sword swinging in huge scything arcs.

I'll be using Dipping Swallow Defense if attacked. How many thugs are there total?
Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]
Attack 3: [roll2]

Cubey
2008-02-06, 02:45 AM
Stunt dice first:
Kadree - 1

A green insectoid limb, ending in a hooked blade (you could swear it looks just like the hooked "sword" from just a second ago) strikes from the misty cloud, trying to hit Insar! 2 successes, but he manages to parry almost instantly, his arms quickened thanks to his Charm.
Next, it is Insar who attacks, but he focuses on the thugs - instantly cutting one in two pieces, and decapitating another before he has a chance to react! The third, surprisingly, manages to parry the Exalt's quick hit - but it reduces his weapon into a piece of junk! There is about 20 opponents in the whole warehouse, counting up the ones Insar just killed, too.
Iskira rushes forward, smacking the closest bandit several times with the blunt of her weapon, leaving him beaten senseless!
"I... I do not think they did anything wrong to us. Should not we spare them?"

Kadree is successful in her attempts to disarm the thugs' leader - both of his weapons fly through the air, straight into the weird monster which intercepts the course with its sword-like appendage, making the weapons fall to the ground. "Bah!" He jumps upward and spins in the air, launching a roundhouse kick towards Kadree - but her Daiklaive takes on the impact of the hit (2 successes, parried thanks to the charm).

A bladed limb, the same that parried the thrown (or rather, thrown away) hooked swords, now tries to stab towards Kadree! It is strangely slow though, dropped off-balance because of the flying weapons, and she easily manages to block both attacks with her buckler, even without using a Charm.

"They are murderers - beasts in human skin! Don't be foolish." Emerald Star's face takes on a stern expression, as she spins rhythmically in front of one of the ruffians, cutting her up with several shallow hits - leaving the opponent alive, but heavily wounded.

Just when you thought there wouldn't be any surprises more, a heavy, axe-like blade (like before, supported by a green, thin limb) launches from the cloud towards Mariko - apparently the creature noticed her! It aims too close though, missing her in a rather pitiful attempt.

What is that thing anyway? No matter how close you get to it, your sight isn't able to penetrate the cloud that surrounds it. It is almost like if there was nothing inside...
"I am." You hear a silent whisper... despite all the chaos that takes place in the building, it is clearly audible. "Destined to die today... I will take as many of you with me as I can." The voice is extremely calm and composed, and sounds as neutral as you can imagine. Then...

A loud, agonizing scream shrieks from the creature! The terrifying sound carries with itself whispers of agony and disability to avoid fate. It makes even the smallest hairs on your bodies rise in terror, but your mortal opponents seem to be even more afflicted - some of them, a bit creeped already by the beast's appearance and your effectiveness at dispatching their companions, now are clutching their heads or screaming in terror! At least a half of them is incapacitated in such a way, but others, despite shaking visibly and muttering soundlessly under their breaths, are still standing. Their leader, for example, just twitches and clenches his fists before giving you a very un-friendly, manic look.

As for the Dragon-Blooded, she takes several steps backwards, obviously surprised and at least a bit scared. She tries to distance herself from every other being in this place, as much as she can.

Kyeudo
2008-02-06, 03:12 AM
Insar

Partialy fearful that the demon creature may have even greater powers and partial grateful the beast took out half of the thugs for him, Insar wades further into his grim harvest, moving through the crowd of thugs as if they were mere grain and trying to put as many of the brutes between him and the demon as possible.

I'm only attacking those thugs that can still fight. Still using Dipping Swallow Defense if attacked and I don't care if it tapps my Peripheral Essence. Going glowy isn't going to matter with my six foot long sword shredding thugs left and right.
Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 1: [roll1]
Attack 1: [roll2]

Tengu
2008-02-06, 07:25 AM
"Yeah, they want to kill us right now, and do a living killing people like that! Don't mourn them if some of them die..."

Kadree twitches slightly upon hearing the creature's shriek. Just what is that? A demon, a spirit? Wonder how it looks like underneath that fog...

"You! Stop interrupting me! Go to sleep." Kadree swipes at her opponent, striking at his stomach with the flat of her blade, hoping to knock the wind out of him with the blunt force, then raises her fist, hitting him in the teeth with the pommel! With a fluid gesture she swings Vanguard around once again, finishing by hitting him over the head - once again with the flat part. Despite her words it seems she doesn't like to take human lives herself...
After the attack she quickly raises the weapon high again, getting ready to defend against any incoming blows. She also gets certain that no danger comes after Margot.

3 attacks, 2 parries - the attacks are directed against the bandit boss and bashing (-1 success), unless he falls unconscious before that, in which case the further ones are directed at the monster and are lethal.

Attack 2: [roll2]
Attack 3: [roll3]
Parry 1: [roll4]
Parry 2: [roll5]

joseybird
2008-02-06, 08:59 AM
The beast's scream is the last straw for the exhausted, terrified girl. She emits a soft little whimper and crumples in a dead faint. The dagger falls from her limp hand and spins away.

Jannex
2008-02-06, 04:57 PM
Mariko curses softly under her breath as she sees Margot collapse. Still, she moves forward. If she can make it to the girl this round, Mariko will scoop her up and carry her over one shoulder (on Mariko's uninjured side), and try to make for the door--which Iskira very thoughtfully opened for us. Again, she tries to keep to the shadows as much as possible, using the boxes and crates scattered about the warehouse as cover, and hoping that the monster's cries have terrified the thugs enough that they won't be paying too much attention to her. She keeps her daiklaive low and ready, in an inverted grip in her free hand, hoping she won't have to use it.

Initiative, if necessary: [roll0]
Strength+Athletics-WP, to carry Margot: [roll1]
Dexterity+Stealth-WP: [roll2]

Again, activating Reed in the Wind, spending double Peripheral Essence, to dodge if attacked.

Edit: Well, I suck. I guess I don't get anywhere with her this round?

Cubey
2008-02-06, 09:00 PM
The thugs who are still up and moving are shaking more visibly... "Ha... hahaha..." Some of them chuckle under their breaths. Their gazes are definitely... well, insane. They lurch towards you, weapons ready to hit, their free hands clenching like if wanting to strangle something.

Insar's wide sweeps leave behind trails of blood, and three corpses of butchered criminals. It also puts him right in the middle of the biggest crowd of theirs - a fair distance from the foggy monster, but also surrounded by more opponents.

Kadree's first hit dazzles the thug leader, sending him reeling and blinking. The second blow puts an end to his misery... just kidding. He's still alive, but you knock him unconscious with no effort. (6 bashing damage/hit)
Your next hit is directed towards the creature - you outmaneuver the weapon-limbs and hit true! You aren't sure what you hit, but it feels hard, like some kind of armor - nevertheless, you inflict a powerful blow! (6 damage)
At the same time, taking advantage of the fact that your attack left your defense wide open - a long, spear like appendage thrusts from inside the cloud, glancing from the breastplate but hitting you right under it, ripping clothing and leaving a bleeding wound in the abdomen. 2 lethal damage.

Next is Iskira's attack, who jumps atop a barrel and leaps from it, her sword aimed forward, ready to run through whatever hides in the fog! Unfortunately, two armed limbs jet forth, their weapons crossed, deflecting the blade.

The creature responds with a strike of an insectoid, bladed arm - an attack which Iskira manages to barely deflect, striking the weapon aside. It doesn't give up though - its next two attacks are directed towards Kadree, thrusting twice in rapid succession. It scores 1 and 2 successes - too slow not to be easily stopped by intervening with the daiklaive. It seems the wound causes the creature to move much slower.

"This is some kind of an evil spirit! It may try to manipulate you, watch yourselves!" A series of Emerald Star's quick strikes leaves her mortal opponent down in a pool of blood. It seems all the thugs who are yet able to fight are focused on Insar.

Two ruffians strike at Insar, laughing maniacally! They score 4 and 3 successes, hitting recklessly fast, with no regards to their own safety. It is so surprising that despite Insar's parrying attempts, he doesn't manage to fully stop the first attack - a jagged knife hits his chest, fortunately bouncing off the armor for no effect. The second attack, by a mugging baton, was slower and therefore no problem to parry.

Finally, Mariko manages to lift Margot up - she isn't much heavier than a big bag of groceries, so you are able to walk even carrying her, albeit not as fast as if unburdened. You try to stick to largest shadows - it is a help that there are so many containers around here, casting enough dark to sneak by.

(Stunt dice: 1 each for Insar and Kadree)

Kyeudo
2008-02-06, 09:26 PM
Insar

Now in the thick of the villanous henchmen of the Dragon-Blooded kidnapper, Insar's sword becomes a black whirlwind in his hands. Striking down the maddened thugs as swiftly as he can, Legacy's golden edge slashes through flesh and bone with equal ease, as only an Exalted blade can.

Inititive: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
Attack: [roll2]
Attack: [roll3]
Attack: [roll4]
Attack: [roll5]

Tengu
2008-02-07, 12:00 AM
Kadree grins her teeth in pain, holding the wound for a moment. If I didn't have the armor, that'd end bad... She looks over her shoulder to see that the rest of the battlefield is more or less under control now. "Alright, you creep, I have bad news for you - you're not going to take anyone with you today! Should've picked another day for dying!" She runs in several steps, gaining momentum, and leaps at the monster hidden in the fog, faint motes of red and golden essence surrounding her grip and trailing behind Vanguard as she swipes hardly from above! She lands somewhere in the center, hoping to stand at the creature's body, and raises her sword with both hands upside down, stabbing the monster's form! After these blows she quickly retreats by jumping back with a backflip, landing in a low, defensive position on the floor. Her breath is heavy now, the fresh wound clearly giving her a drawback.

2 attacks with Hungry Tiger Technique (2 motes spend), 3 parries.

Attack 2: [roll2]
Parry 1: [roll3]
Parry 2: [roll4]
Parry 3: [roll5]

Kyeudo
2008-02-07, 01:03 AM
(How many thugs are left able to fight? I want to get the flys out of the way before going for the real monsters. By my count, there should only be three or four left able to fight after that last set of attacks.)

Jannex
2008-02-07, 01:06 AM
On her way to the door, Mariko moves past Emerald Star, stopping a moment to whisper to the other girl. "Once we're all outside, can you...?" she gestures vaguely, alluding in ignorant terms to the power of offensive sorcery.

Her message delivered, Mariko sneaks across the intervening space to the door, her feet falling silently amid the clash of blades, despite her burden. Once outside, she glances around briefly to ensure that no one is around to see her, before once again scaling the wall with impossible ease. A plan is beginning to coalesce in her mind, but it relies significantly on her ability to communicate her thoughts to the others quickly, and their willingness to react. Mariko remembers the wet crunch she heard as the monster scored a hit on Kadree a moment ago, and her eyes narrow. The quicker we end this, the better off we'll all be. At worst, Star's magics should eliminate the thugs and at least soften up that creature some, she thinks.

She sets Margot's unconscious form gently down on the rough surface of the roof, and returns to the window through which Kadree entered the fight. Mariko quickly looks around for nearby rooftops to which she might make a hasty exit, before calling down to her friends, "I've got her clear! You can get out of there!"

Spending double Peripheral Essence (so, total 4) to activate Spider-Foot Style to climb the building again without adding to her anima. Unless she has to dodge on the way out of the building, in which case she'll do that with Reed in the Wind (again spending double Peripheral), and climb the wall the following round.

I don't know how much of this can be accomplished in one round, so Cubey, feel free to modify accordingly.

Init: [roll0]
Dexterity+Stealth-WP (if necessary): [roll1]
Perception+Awareness: [roll2] (for observers, and for other rooftops to use for an escape)

Cubey
2008-02-07, 01:53 AM
There are only three thugs near Insar - but others, the ones who seemed to go catatonic from the outburst, are slowly rising again! That can't be good...

You guys get 1 stunt die each, anyway.

Insar's sweeping strikes leave nothing but a horrible mess behind, each slice splitting a (possibly) insane thug in two. As such, you are left with no opponents after only three hits. There aren't any mortals left to fight against - excluding the ones that slowly wake up. There's about a dozen of them.

Kadree seems to land on something hard... and a little slippery. Nevertheless, she attacks - but a hooking limb emerges from the mist, hoping to block the powerful hit! You cut through the insectoid arm, cleaving off the armed appendage, and, with an ugly wet sound, run whatever is inside through, impaling across its whole length! The... thing below you starts to shudder, seemingly dying.
Then, a thin green limb, ending in a ludicrously large piece of metal (resembling a head of a sledgehammer) slams from within the mist, trying to smash Kadree's body! The attack is so slow and sluggish, she easily deflects it with no more than a slight move of her blade...

I suppose you backflip out of the creature - just in time, because more limbs emerge from the mist! Each ends with a different weapon-like tip: an axe, sword, a spear, even a... bow? You'd surely be impaled on some of them if not for the quick retreat from the creature's body... which manages to slowly become visible as the cloud dissipates.

"Can't... fight destiny..." A shudder-inducing sigh is heard across the warehouse. You can't catch more than a general size of the creature (slightly smaller than a human being) - when the fog clears to make things more visible, there is nothing left there. Whatever the body looked like, it dissipated into Essence already. Its limbs, sticking out in all directions from the cloud, slowly become transparent and disappear.

As an effect of the last sigh, the thugs who were waking up stopped moving. They seem to be bleeding from ears and mouths... are they dead? Maybe - not discernible without medical examination.

"Phew..." Emerald Star, who was already preparing herself to weave a sorcery, looks relieved. Then, she turns her gaze towards the Dragon-Blooded woman - who was still standing there! She notices that she's being watched.

"So, I see the mercenaries have arrived after all..." She wipes the sweat from her forehead, still looking defensive though. "Would you mind if I asked: what you intend to do now?"

EDIT: Kadree gets +1 willpower for acting according to her Nature. So would Insar, if not for: 1. he has full willpower already, and 2. fighting mortals doesn't actually count as thrusting yourself into danger. Looks hella cool though.

Jannex
2008-02-07, 02:30 AM
Nearly biting her tongue on her shout, Mariko watches from the window as the monster collapses into nothing, and the mortal thugs start to bleed from vital orifices. Seeing the immediate danger passed, her breathing slows a little, but her posture remains tense and alert. As her attention turns to the Fire-Aspected woman, Mariko shifts her daiklaive into her left hand, letting one of her throwing daggers drop from its wrist-sheath into her right hand with a flick of her wrist. I wouldn't be able to take her down with a single shot--she might even deflect it entirely, being Exalted--but it would at least distract her, should it come to that. Then, one of the others might be able to get in a clear shot. She watches in silence, hoping she didn't betray her position too obviously. Though her focus remains on the Dragon-Blooded woman, Mariko keeps her senses trained around her, alert for any signs of approach from the rooftops or surrounding alleys.

Kyeudo
2008-02-07, 03:04 AM
Insar

To the Dragon-Blood's question, Insar responds. "Probably less than you deserve. What do you want with the girl?" Bringing Legacy up in a defensive stance, blade held verticly and close to his shoulder, Insar is wary of treachery.

Tengu
2008-02-07, 03:06 AM
Kadree tries not to gasp in pain and shudder when the creature dies - the fact that the wound it gave her was one of the first combat wounds she received in her life doesn't help. I must ask Star what exactly was that thing... but for now we have more important matters. She looks around to check if all her allies are alright and if Margot is unharmed, and takes a step towards the Dragonblooded, aiming her sword straightly at her.
"There was an important thing you wanted to tell us, wasn't there? Nobody is interrupting by trying to kill us now, so I think it's the perfect opportunity to enlighten us."

Cubey
2008-02-07, 03:17 AM
The woman frowns at all the weaponry you wield - she realizes you are prepared to use it against her.
"You may find it hard to believe, however... I wanted to meet you. The girl was nothing but a bait to draw you here." She pauses, examining her outstretched hand for a second. Strangely, she seems to be calm and collected even in such a situation. "It was not my idea - why don't you ask the band over here? Oh, right. Because they are dead. Anyway, I believe they had a grudge against you. To be more specific." She points that outstretched hand forward, seemingly not at anyone. "The short-haired girl. I am sure she is one of yours, however I do not see her here."

"I just used them as an opportunity to meet you eye-to-eye. Beware of the scroll. It is more than just a piece of paper, even if it does not look like it."

"Is that enough for you? Am I free to go, or do you want to sate your bloodthirsty instincts on me? No offense, no offense." She waves her hand in dismiss, cracking an uneasy smile.

"If I may, I believe she did not act against us at all. She only seemed to be here all the time, but that is not a reason not to let her leave peacefully." Iskira nods, her mind obviously set on the situation.

Tengu
2008-02-07, 03:31 AM
Kadree raises her free (well, not counting the buckler) hand to Iskira. "Wait..." She smiles widely. "I want to ask her some questions first." She then turns to the Terrestial, her expression becoming serious again. "So you hold no ill intent towards as at all, and moreover even want to help us? Is it just me, or is that view not held by all members of the Sesus family? Also, I wonder a bit what would have you done if these thugs somehow managed to beat us, but that's just on the side... what's more important, do you know anything about that thing that just came in? I'm sure it wasn't just a coincidence it appeared here."

joseybird
2008-02-07, 11:06 AM
Margot stirs and opens her eyes, blinking at the unexpected light. Pushing herself to a sitting position and taking a few moments to orient herself, she gazes about in some confusion.

"What...? Where...?"

I must have...oh light, I must have fainted...She shudders slightly at the memory.

Jannex
2008-02-07, 05:41 PM
Listening at the window above, Mariko's eyes widen when she hears the woman say that the thugs were after her. Her hands tighten to a white-knuckled grip as she looks carefully at the incapacitated mortals strewn about the room below, hoping to spot signs of life in one of them. Come on, there's got to be someone left to interrogate. My first real lead after all this time...

She moves to slip through the window, but a noise from behind her stops the movement short; she turns to see Margot stirring. "It's all right," she whispers to the other girl, keeping her voice low to prevent it from carrying into the warehouse below them. "The fight's over, for the most part; there's just the Dragon-Blooded woman left now, and she claims not to want a fight. Are you well?"

joseybird
2008-02-07, 05:49 PM
"The fight...you saved me, brought me up here...?" Her voice is quiet, matching Mariko's. She brushes her eyes and colors at the realization that she was unconscious during the battle. "I'm sorry, I...I've never...I mean, I should have...I'm sorry...." Margot's gaze falls to her knees; her face burns with shame at having been a burden in a conflict her own foolishness helped create. I was so frightened... But that was no real excuse for a Solar, now was it?

"I'm alright...thank you," she whispers meekly.

Jannex
2008-02-07, 06:18 PM
An acute sting of compassion for the woman's fear--a fear with which Mariko sympathized all too well, as uncomfortable as she was with open combat--wars with her need to know what is going on in the room below. She glances back over her shoulder at the blonde girl, seeing the distress clear on her face. Give her a task to focus on; that will help her get past her fears. Freeing one hand from the edge of the window, she gently beckons Margot closer. "You must be pretty good at reading people, given who you work for. I don't trust this woman," she says, gesturing down at the Terrestrial in the warehouse below them. "Can you help?"

joseybird
2008-02-07, 07:31 PM
Mariko has said the right thing.

The girl's forlorn face brightens instantly. It is not the polite gentility she had previously greeted the party with but the happy, unconscious glow of a hopeful young girl. She nods and approaches on hands and knees to peek through the window Mariko is perched at.

Oh light...if I can show them that I can help, perhaps they would agree to let me go with them! Kind as her employer was, and as comfortable as her life had become in Nexus, Margot knew that such an opportunity might never come again to travel with such adventurers. She could never travel alone again, she knew, and what more daring or trustworthy folk would ever cross her path?

She looks down upon the tableau below, nibbles at her lower lip in concentration as she studies the Dragon-Blooded woman, and listens.

Gem of Surface Thoughts [roll0]
Perception+Socialize [roll1]

Cubey
2008-02-07, 10:02 PM
"Oh, please." The woman seems to be gathering confidence with every second that passes. Maybe she was just afraid of the creature - no surprise there. "My girl, there are over 800 nobles in my house, and that is counting only those whose draconic blood has awakened. Of course there are bound to be different opinions on many subjects - including you. And here is my opinion: you were strong enough to defeat these lowlife excuses of criminals, so I never considered what would happen if you failed. As of this... thing..." She frowns slightly, but then shakes her head, adjusts a misplaced lock of hair, and continues. "I am sure it was a demon. You have many enemies, do you not? I am sure one of them used it against you."

"She's correct, it really was a demon." Emerald Star looks thoughtful, as if she was trying to remember something. "One of the weaker ones, but still a demon. Sorcerers and thaumaturges can summon them with rituals."

"Oh! Then we did a truly heroic deed! We have vanquished a hideous abomination, agent of pure evil! I would like to offer my sincere congratulations!" Iskira climbed atop a pile of boxes, somehow - apparently she wants to play the role of a victorious champion. "But, I am afraid I have no idea who might have summoned it... do we know anyone available of such a feat?"

"I am sure you do. Demons rarely appear by their own and remain unnoticed. Especially in a city like this." Taeka's face is completely neutral and composed, like if she was discussing a court matter, and not standing on a bloody battlefield.

Speaking of which, Mariko noticed that there are indeed survivors. Thugs who got knocked unconscious before the demon was killed do not seem to be bleeding. They may be alive.

As far as Margot's observations go, the Dragon-Blooded speaks the truth.

Kyeudo
2008-02-07, 10:30 PM
Insar

"What do you know about the scroll? Why does your family want it so bad?"

joseybird
2008-02-07, 10:37 PM
Margot's golden brows knit. "She seems to be speaking truth." But her tone carries a note of distrust. "It might be easier if I could speak with her directly..." She ponders this for a few moments, then: "But I confess, since I know nothing of her conflict with you, I doubt I could do more than try to discern her motives."

Cubey
2008-02-08, 12:10 AM
"Its contents, of course. That is what every noble blessed with Dragon Blood is interested in. And before you ask me - no, I do not have even the slightest idea on what the scroll is about. Neither does anyone in the whole Realm. If they did, searching for the scroll would not be necessary. Don't you agree?"

Kyeudo
2008-02-08, 12:12 AM
Insar

"You must have some idea of what is on that scroll, or else you wouldn't be searching for it."

Cubey
2008-02-08, 12:20 AM
The woman nods, a slight smile on her lips.
"Of course. I am sure someone from my house knows something more. But I do not." She crosses her arms, the smile refusing to leave her face.
"I am, after all, not interested in the scroll."

Tengu
2008-02-08, 02:15 AM
Hmm, I think I know who might've summoned that demon...

Kadree raises an eyebrow. "All Dragonblooded nobles are interested in the scroll, but you're not? That can only mean one of the two things - either you are lying to us, or you're not a Dragonblooded! And in the second case, wasn't it a bit foolish of you to come to such a district alone?"

(I was tempted to shout "objection!" and point my finger at her here.)

Cubey
2008-02-08, 02:31 AM
The inquired noble blinks, looking only slightly surprised. "Why might I lie to you? Oh... I see. You are quick to jump to conclusions. I know what I said - every noble of the Realm is interested in the scroll, but I am for some reason not, yes? Well... that was an exaggeration. This is not a courtroom where you nitpick at statements and testimonies." She gives Kadree a stern look, putting her hands on her hips.

"I am surprised that you, as a group, still have any allies if that is how you treat them. However, this is all I have to say - I do not know nothing else important, and further questions would be fruitless. I will take my leave now." She curtsies, holding the folds of her skirt, and starts to exit the building - taking the entrance. Unless you stop her, that is.

Tengu
2008-02-08, 02:37 AM
Hmpf, allies don't hold secrets between each other - and I'm sure this woman isn't telling us the whole truth.

Kadree does not step the Dragonblooded from leaving.

Kyeudo
2008-02-08, 02:39 AM
Insar

Insar lowers his sword to the ground. The Dragon-Blooded is not worth killing.

Jannex
2008-02-08, 08:47 AM
When the Dragon-Blooded woman has left (assuming the others allow her to leave), Mariko moves to the edge of the roof and watches her go, noting the direction in which she departs. Then she sheathes her daiklaive and offers to help Margot down and back inside.

Once she's back with the others, Mariko moves among the unconscious thugs, seeking out the ones that still breathe. Once she is certain that the survivors aren't in immediate danger of dying, she looks for some rope or something similar with which to bind them. While she does this, she speaks. "It seems that the woman was speaking to us truthfully--so Margot believes. Of course, that still doesn't tell us much about why she's 'helping' us... Maybe it's a symptom of a rivalry within House Sesus, or maybe there's something else going on." She shrugs, and directs her next question toward Margot. "Do you have any experience with interrogating prisoners?"

joseybird
2008-02-08, 10:55 AM
Margot clings silently to Mariko as the other girl helps her down.

I could have learned her motives had I had a chance to speak with her...perhaps I should have insisted...But anyways, I shall tell Tree, and she can ponder the woman's words.

Hands clasped self-consciously, she follows Mariko as she returns to the prisoners, gazing shyly at the others Curtsying deeply to them, she mummers, "Thank you. You...you all saved my life. Thank you. I am in your debt. And I'm..." Looking at her feet, she can feel her face burning. "I'm sorry I was such a fool as to walk into this trap. I--" She looks up, biting her lip. "I'm sure Her Ladyship would be happy to have your wounds tended, and that she will reward you for saving me."

At Mariko's question, Margot's expression turns to one of uncertainty. She touches a finger to her lower lip. "N-no...but I can try my best, if you would like my help."

Kyeudo
2008-02-08, 04:04 PM
Insar

"You'd probably do better than I would."

Jannex
2008-02-08, 07:23 PM
Mariko nods to Margot. "I'd be glad of your help, thank you." Once the prisoners are securely bound, Mariko chooses one to try to awaken, moving him slightly apart from his fellows. Anyone looking at her face will notice a coldness there, a ruthless determination that isn't normally characteristic of the Night Caste.

Wits+Medicine, to wake him up? Not sure what the roll should be; feel free to alter it if it should be a different Attribute.
[roll0]

Tengu
2008-02-08, 07:38 PM
Kadree smiles in a warm and friendly way upon noticing both Mariko and Margot. "Hey, don't worry.", she says to the second girl. "We are strong and wounds like that heal quickly... the more important thing is that nothing happened to you - you were so scared when that demon came out... you have done extremely good before that, though, I'm sure if you had more time you could just walk away from this warehouse unbothered. That was amazing!" She grins much wider. "And this trap might result is us getting some useful information, so don't worry about that either!"

"As for that Dragonblooded woman..." Her face becomes serious again for a moment. "She is an ally, but one of those you have to constantly watch over your shoulder. I am sure she has reasons other than good will to help us - maybe she even wants the scroll for herself, and only chose a more subtle way of getting it..."

joseybird
2008-02-08, 08:06 PM
Margot smiles and nods her golden head to Mariko. While waiting for the Night Caste to waken her chosen thug, Margot turns back to Tengu, blushing for the compliment. "Thank you...I've only done something like that a couple of times before. I see now how you must have routed the Dragon-Blooded before! I wish--" She bites her lip, as if she's said too much, she shifts her gaze back to Mariko's thug.

The girl takes a long slow breath, and her demeanor changes. Her flushed, happy face smooths and calms into an authoritative marble mask, and she subtly shifts her posture so that her tiny frame gains presence. She evaluates the man's unconscious face dispassionately as she waits for him to regain consciousness.

Cubey
2008-02-08, 11:35 PM
(The thug didn't regain consciousness yet, but the ST did! I was asleep, you see. Totally not in a coma.)

"It is our duty to help the troubled! Innocents suffer too much, and I... no, we cannot have it that way!" Iskira seems to be entering her preaching mode again. Fortunately, before she has a chance to say something heroic and long-winded, she notices Kadree's wound.
"Oh no! That looks very bad - how do you feel, Kadree? Are you in risk of death? We should have that awful wound treated as soon as possible." She starts to look around, apparently for a bandage. You never knew Iskira had any medicine training, and don't think she does - it will be... interesting at least, if you let her take care of that.

"Aren't most Dragon-Blooded so arrogant? Maybe she was trying to be helpful and friendly in her eyes." Emerald Star closes her fans and hangs them at her waist again, leaving her arms free. "But I'm not so convinced myself. Let me think about the demon instead. I remember a few tidbits... too bad my notes are not here."

Only two thugs are alive - one of them is their leader! You have a feeling he'd have most to say, so he's the one you tie up and try to wake for interrogation. He coughs and slowly opens his eyes.
"What the... what's going on...?" He seems a bit... dazed.

As for the Dragon-Blooded woman, she went towards northeast - going to either Nexus or Cinnabar.

joseybird
2008-02-09, 01:53 PM
Margot walks forward until she is standing between the dazed thug's sprawled legs. She sinks to her knees, so very close to him that her knees press against his upper inner thighs, and her breasts brush up against his chest. Brushing his left cheek with two fingers to focus his eyes on her lidded blue eyes and glowing face, she brings her mouth very close to the thug's.

"Do you remember me?"

Her voice, so soothing and musical, is husky with sensuality, and so very soft that besides the thug only Mariko can hear. Even on her knees, Margot's small height puts her face on an even level with the thugs. They could be as intimate as lovers

[roll0]; can I assume this is for the entire interaction? Also, using Gem of Surface Thoughts after each time she speaks and after each time he responds

Jannex
2008-02-09, 02:25 PM
Having finished binding the man, Mariko now stands just behind him, a hand resting on one of her many knife-sheaths. As Margot moves in, beginning her interrogation, Mariko attempts to catch her eye, wanting to convey to the other girl what information she needs from this man. Silently, she mouths her words to Margot, articulating clearly so the younger girl will be able to read her lips without too much difficulty; with her free hand, she ticks off the individual points on her fingers.

"One: who hired him. Two: his instructions here, in detail. After that..." she half-shrugs, indicating that his answers will guide their questioning from that point forward.

Tengu
2008-02-09, 07:23 PM
"No no, thanks Iskira but that's unnecessary! The wound is already closing on its own, see?" Kadree grins widely and nervously. She cannot hear Margot's words, but upon noticing her gestures she blushes a bit. What kind of interrogation is that? It beats torturing him, of course, but...

Cubey
2008-02-10, 12:17 AM
The thug shudders visibly and gulps, sweat appearing on his face.
"Y... yeah. I know..."
His eyes are wide open, staring at you in shock... or maybe awe. You are not sure.

If Margot asks the guy questions provided by Mariko, he answers immediately - but not without problems, having difficulties with catching breath.
"We... aren't hired, we are Floating Hands. One of Floating Hands groups. We do what the messenger says and get paid... he's always masked, always. Annonymous. Meets us in Drunken Rat Inn, Nighthammer. Always." He gulps again. "We got orders yesterday. This place was supposed to .. be empty. We were to come here, wait for you... I am sorry, I didn't mean to! We never had... anything against you. Our target was... a thieving girl with short dark hair. Doesn't stand out of crowd, but she had a company. Mercenaries, Dawning Suns. Got herself a new group after... after one of ours murdered everyone from her old one. Not my people, other Hands group. I don't know which."

"And that woman was already here, waiting! I swear, I don't lie! That's... that's all."

Searching with the gem reveal that his thoughts are scattered - he tries to answer questions as best as he can (not a single lie there), but he is too distracted by your... striking way of interrogation. Some of his thoughts are dirty too, but he seems to shove them aside, not daring to think in such a way about such an awe-inspiring person. Maybe it's good he is tied up after all.

"Oh my. It seems that our newest aquintance is gifted by ability to act in very different ways, according to the needs of the situation." Iskira observes Margot, looking thoughtful but also a bit... worried? Why would she feel like that?

Kyeudo
2008-02-10, 12:51 AM
Insar

"Well, Mariko, seems you've found something you've been searching for." Insar's face is grim.

joseybird
2008-02-10, 01:10 AM
Iskira's comment pierces Margot's zen-like concentration with a gut-wrenching intensity, though the girl manages to hide this well.

I...am a silver-tongued whore, aren't I...

Decisively shoving those thoughts aside, she refocuses on the sweating man barely two inches from her contemplating his thoughts and responses.

Better, perhaps, if Mariko continue the operation...I seem to be...too distracting...But she had gotten him to this point; they had gotten off to a good start.

"Good, very good," she breathes against his cheek, tapping his nose very lightly in approval. "Your honesty does you credit. Continue along this productive line with the short-haired girl in question, and you will be the better for it." She punctuates this with the lightest brush of the punching blade's flat end beneath his chin.

Her blue eyes move up to meed Mariko's, indicating that Mariko should continue the interrogatory process. Rising, she moves to take Mariko's place behind the prisoner, preparing to continue scanning the thug's responses to Mariko's questions.

But the glamour the girl had seemed to cloth herself in fades; she is no longer an unearthly seductress, but merely an extraordinarily beautiful child who stands with her face quiet and drawn, twisting her fingers slowly.

A silver-tongued whore indeed.

Her face burns with shame.

Jannex
2008-02-10, 05:20 AM
Mariko's hand tightens around the hilt of her dagger as the thug mentions the slaughter of the Nightbirds. Her face is an impassive mask, but cold rage glitters in her eyes. She nods in curt acknowledgement of Insar's remark, taking her eyes away from the thug for barely a moment.

As Margot passes control of the interrogation to her, Mariko steps around the bound thug and into his field of vision, her dagger drawn but held at her side. If she notices Margot's distress, no sign of it registers on her face. Her attention is fixed on the thug. "And what were you instructed to do, once you acquired your target?" she asks in a pointed monotone, making sure the man gets a sufficiently good look at her to realize who he's talking to.

Is there anything Mariko would know about the Floating Hands, or the clientele of the Drunken Rat Inn?
Intelligence+Larceny: [roll0]

Cubey
2008-02-10, 05:29 AM
Iskira blinks in slight surprise - you aren't sure is she surprised about Margot's blush, or about her changing places with Mariko for interrogation. Apparently the finer points of empathy escaped her this time.
"I would like to offer my thanks - you are being very helpful to us." She says to Margot, looking sincere and smiling (albeit in a somewhat troubled way).

The thug gulps as he notices Mariko - it seems he is running dry in his mouth, with the amounts of gulps he has just been through.
"A... ah! I can't lie... we were to off you. Nothing personal! It's just orders!" He is nervous. Really nervous.

Mariko seems to remember that the Drunken Rat is a tavern as nice as it sounds - it's as easy to get a stab in the back as it is to get booze there. And that's probably a better alternative, you wouldn't like to drink anything from that place if you had alternatives. It is mostly used as a contact point for shady individuals - the owner and guests themselves don't pry into each others' businesses. The real Nexus way.
EDIT: You don't recall anything about Floating Hands though.

joseybird
2008-02-10, 12:09 PM
The girl's eyes flicker up to Iskira's face in acknowledgment, then down again. She doesn't seem to be feeling any better, but she remains focused on the thug.

Using stone, P+A [roll0]

Tengu
2008-02-10, 12:30 PM
Kadree takes the opportunity that neither Margot nor any stranger is looking at her and sends Vanguard away. She sits down on a nearby crate, observing the interrogation with a thoughtful expression. Margot's reactions did not escape her attention. Great, Iskira is as helpful as always... she probably doesn't realize there must be something in this girl's past that lets her know how to act in that way, but which also makes her ashamed... I wonder if that's... Kadree doesn't notice that she blushes in shame herself now.

Jannex
2008-02-10, 08:35 PM
Mariko nods once, seemingly unsurprised by the thug's response. In the same cold monotone, she asks him, "When and how are you expected to report to your contact about the success of your mission?"

Cubey
2008-02-11, 02:11 AM
"Aah... n... nowhere! They know, they always know if we did it or not... we got pay in advance, too..."
He seems to be speaking the truth - and Margot's observations confirm that. He isn't hiding anything, as far as you can tell. He is pretty sure his life is more or less over, though.

Jannex
2008-02-11, 10:07 PM
Mariko nods slowly, once. While frustrating, this information does not come as a particular surprise. "Now," she tells him, idly fingering the blade of her dagger, "you're going to tell me everything you know about the Floating Hands--how many groups, the extent of their operations, in what areas they specialize, and anything you know about the structure and leadership. Is it always the same messenger who contacts you? Even with a mask, you should be able to recognize a voice. How long has the group been in operation? You're going to tell me about any other Floating Hands cells with which you're familiar; where are they based, and who belongs to them? You're also going to tell me," she continues, taking a single, threatening step toward him, "everything you know, even overheard rumors and third-hand gossip, about the destruction of the Nightbirds. What motivated it, when the order came down--everything. The more information you have for me, the more satisfied I will be, and the better you will fare as a result. I will know if you are lying to me." The light filtering in from the window and the broken wall glints menacingly off the surface of her blade.

joseybird
2008-02-11, 10:23 PM
Still standing quietly behind the thug, Margot brushes his hair--very lightly and gently--with one small hand, soothingly.

Trying to calm him down a bit, so that he can answer a bit more articulately[roll0]

Kyeudo
2008-02-11, 10:25 PM
Insar

"I'd cooperate fully with the lady if I were you. Something tells me that the Floating Hands aren't going to be showing up to help you anytime soon." He glances meaningfuly at the bodies strewn about the warehouse.

I want to try and scare the guy further. He's already dazed, confused, and scared, but I'd like to try and push him towards being so terrified of us that he won't even think of lying about the Floating Hands.
Charisma + Prescence: [roll0]

Cubey
2008-02-13, 01:10 AM
The criminal breathes deeper, apparently calming a big when Margot touches him, but then he hears Insar's comment and follows his glance with a gaze of his own - and upon seeing the bodies, his face's expression turns into a terrified (or maybe angered?) rictus. He immediately closes up, not saying anything but starting to shake visibly. It seems he won't betray any additional information, at least in this condition.

(Sorry for the long absence. In other news - now you see why botched rolls are fun.)

Kyeudo
2008-02-13, 01:27 AM
((EVERY TIME I USE PRESCENCE I BOTCH!!! WHAT IS UP WITH THIS?!?

In other news, I love how you made the botch out to be a hypercritical success of epic proportions. Why do I feel so good for screwing up?))

joseybird
2008-02-13, 01:39 AM
(*GONK* How can one lil botch undo my roll of WIN? ;---; *shakes fist at the dice gods*).

Margot's brow furrows in worry. Very gently--and with genuine compassion, she touches his cheek.Moving slightly, she kneels down so that he can just barely see her out of the corner of his eye.

"You were doing very well, and we are grateful. Please continue. Please....?"

Her fingers fall to rest soothingly on his collarbone.

[roll0]+burning a will--she's really trying here!

Cubey
2008-02-13, 02:04 PM
Although Margot's efforts are directed at the thug, even you have a feeling that the world is a warm and safe place with her around... needless to say, the interrogated mortal breaks as fast as he closed himself up, and starts to confess. Willingly - perhaps too willingly. It takes a while for him to finish, and here is what you learn:
-The group is highly secretive. He doesn't know how many other bands are there inside the Hands, or who might belong to them. His group was mostly dealing in murders and abductions - orders were always given by the same person, a large man clad in a black cloak with hood, and a full-face white mask with no face features (only holes for eyes and mouth).
-Orders are always delivered on paper, and burned after reading. The figure never said a word.
-His group started to work for this white-mask guy roughly 6 years ago, but the band existed beforehand - only as a bunch of thugs though. Truth to be told, not much has changed, did it?
-There aren't any rumours of the Nightbirds' demise. You learn something much better. Your interrogatee had the honor to read (wow, he knows how to read - that's unusual for criminal elements) exactly why they had to die on one of the papers with orders! Apparently they angered the leadership of Floating Hands by stealing something from one of their allies.

(My pleasure Kyeudo!)

Kyeudo
2008-02-13, 04:59 PM
((Why does that sound like the Emissary of the Council?))

Jannex
2008-02-14, 02:49 AM
Stepping between Insar and her prisoner, Mariko flashes Margot a grateful smile as the blonde girl manages to calm the man enough to start talking. From the moment he begins speaking, though, Mariko's attention is fully absorbed in the captive's words.

As the extent of the man's ignorance about his organization's operations is revealed, Mariko's mouth tightens slightly, but otherwise she displays no outward hint of her frustration. I knew when he first described these people that he wouldn't know much; independent cells operating without knowledge of the other groups. Whoever's in charge of the Floating Hands is an expert in the trade. That's going to make him hard to find, and harder to take down... But he knows I'm back in the city, and if he keeps making attempts on me, that's a trail of breadcrumbs I can follow back to his doorstep.

That thought brings her up short, and she spares a guilty glance at the injured Kadree. The attacks are only going to get more difficult, once the Hands' leadership realizes that the initial attempt failed. She catches Margot's eye, and gives the girl a nod, indicating that she should continue to keep the bound thug calm and compliant. Then Mariko steps away from the interrogation, silently indicating to the other Dawning Suns that she would like to discuss matters, out of earshot of the prisoner and his unlikely warden.

joseybird
2008-02-14, 07:20 AM
Margot nods and remains where she is kneeling.

Cubey
2008-02-14, 02:11 PM
As soon as you start the discussion, away from the ears of those whom you do not want to eavesdrop, it is obvious that Iskira wants to say something.
"What is your opinion on all of this, Mariko? If I were to comment, the situation looks horrible - we face a secretive crime organization. It will not be easy to shine light on the darkness of its injustice!"

Emerald Star stays quiet, keeping her thoughts to herself.

Jannex
2008-02-14, 03:50 PM
Mariko nods, allowing her impassive mask to drop away and her emotions to show on her face. At the moment, the feelings reflected there are predominantly worry and guilt. "You're right, Iskira; they're secretive, well-connected, and very good at what they do. It's going to be hard to track down their leader, and meanwhile they'll be sending stronger forces to finish the job, once they realize that the first attempt failed."

She sighs, letting her gaze drop to the dirty warehouse floor. "I have to finish this; I promised myself that a long time ago. But they're only after me. They're not interested in the rest of you, for any other reason but that I'm associated with you. And things are going to get a lot worse from here out." Belatedly realizing that she's still holding her dagger, she slides it back into its sheath.

Kyeudo
2008-02-14, 04:36 PM
Insar

Finaly deciding that everything is under control, Insar banishes Legacy in a burst of golden light. "Don't worry, Mariko. We've got your back, and we've handled worse than this. How do a few crooks compare to demons and rogue spirits?"

Jannex
2008-02-14, 04:55 PM
Mariko's shoulders relax a little at Insar's words, but she doesn't seem convinced by his dismissal of the threat before them. "I have the feeling that the leadership of the Floating Hands will be considerably more formidable than just 'a few crooks.' They're skilled enough that I've never heard of them until now, we have no way of knowing what sort of resources they can draw upon. It seems likely that they sent that demon, and if they did, then they've got someone who can summon the things. That sort of skill isn't exactly easy to come by, from what I understand..." This last comment, half a question, is directed at Emerald Star.

joseybird
2008-02-14, 10:10 PM
Out of the corner of her eye, Margot sees Insar banish Legacy. She turns to stare, her blue eyes widening in quiet awe. After a few moments, she looks away again, back to the captive.

Tengu
2008-02-14, 10:28 PM
Kadree is glad that the interrogation is over - it made her feel weird...
"Well Mariko, don't worry about a thing! We will always support you, no matter what kind of creatures or people are you going to face. As for that demon, though..." She rubs her chin. "I think it might've been summoned by someone whom we know very, very well - remember that weird, emotionless girl? I wouldn't be surprised if she turned out to be a sorceress... but I hope I'm mistaken, because if I'm not it means that they are here now..."

She glances at Margot's reaction, but doesn't do or say anything. If she's not stupid, and I'm sure she's not, she figured us all out anyway.

Kyeudo
2008-02-15, 12:41 AM
Insar

Keeping his voice low, Insar voices the concern that the rest of the circle probably shares. "What do we do about the girl? We rushed in to save her life, and now she knows our secret. Do we dare trust her?"

Jannex
2008-02-15, 08:37 AM
Mariko smiles gratefully at Kadree's words of support, then casts a sidelong glance at Margot when Insar speaks. She shrugs. "I don't doubt that she could easily have counterfeited the emotion, but up on the roof earlier, she seemed genuinely to want to help. And she's helped me get one step closer to finding the bastards who killed the Nightbirds; that counts for a lot with me." Having said her piece, Mariko waits to hear her friends' thoughts.

Tengu
2008-02-15, 02:53 PM
"I... do not find a single reason not to trust her. Everything she did so far was very beneficial for us, and she did many things she needn't have done if she didn't want to. We should accept her help." Kadree looks very serious about her words, and slightly uneasy too for some reason.

Kyeudo
2008-02-15, 04:44 PM
Insar

"Very well. We will leave our secret in the hands of fate. I think we should escort Margot back to Tree's mansion. That seems the best course for the moment."

Jannex
2008-02-15, 05:24 PM
Thinking the matter resolved, Mariko begins to nod, but hesitates when she notices the other girl's expression. "Something wrong, Kadree?"

Tengu
2008-02-16, 07:17 AM
Kadree makes slightly larger eyes and shakes her head quickly. "Er, no, nothing, nevermind! Let us do as Insar said and help poor Margot reach that Tree, I am sure she's worried about what happened to her assistant."

Cubey
2008-02-16, 01:05 PM
Okay then. Do you do anything of importance before escorting Margot back? For example, with the prisoners (there are two after all). Feel free to post idle chatter between characters too, of course.

joseybird
2008-02-16, 03:01 PM
When she sees that the group has finished discussing matters, Margot rises to her feet and walks to where they're standing. She scans your faces with a shy glance; when she looks to Iskira and Kadree, she flushes, and her gaze drops to her feet.

"Before...before we return...I have a request to make of you." She clasps her hands nervously before her. "I know I...I have no right...you have been so generous to me, and so kind...I hope I'm not being impertinent to ask..." She pauses for a few moments, building up the courage to continue, then, "I accepted employment with Her Ladyship on the condition that I could leave her service at any time and for any reason. I had been hoping to find a group I could travel with when I left Nexus. You noble, kind, courageous people, and I...and it would...oh please, could you take me with you when you leave Nexus?" Then, hastily, "I would not be too much trouble, I promise! I would be happy to pay! And I'll...I'll try not to be so frightened next time...I left my razor claws at Her Ladyship's...I'll be useful...."

Realizing that she's been babbling, Margot stares at her feet, trembling slightly.

Kyeudo
2008-02-16, 03:24 PM
Insar

At Margot's request, Insar crosses his arms and considers for a moment. "I suppose that would be fine with me, so long as you know how and when to keep quiet. There are things we do that we would rather no one knew about."

Jannex
2008-02-16, 05:55 PM
"I don't doubt that you would find ways to be of use to us," Mariko says gently to Margot, after another brief glance at Kadree, "but you must have realized by now that we have no shortage of enemies--powerful ones. Traveling with us would mean exposing yourself to that same danger. Is that something you really want to do?"

joseybird
2008-02-16, 07:32 PM
Margot gazes up at Insar, her lovely face tinged with hope, then her eyes turn to Mariko. "I would be safer with you than with any others, I think, and certainly more than I would be on my own. I too have a dangerous enemy: General Sesus Cardozo of the First Sesus Legion." She bites her lip. "I have heard nothing from him or his in the year since I earned his displeasure, but even so, if you allow me with you, you deserve to be forewarned, and I understand if you are reluctant to add another potential enemy to your roster."

As she sparks, her right hand strays to her throat, and she absently fingers a blue-ribboned choker. It appears to be threaded through with strands of iridescent gold, and the pearl droplet which dangles from it seems supernaturally perfect.

Jannex
2008-02-16, 07:55 PM
"Another Sesus," Mariko observes wryly. "We seem fated to be at odds with that House. But, as long as you understand what you're getting yourself into--and if it doesn't jeopardize our agreement with your employer--I have no problem with your joining us."

joseybird
2008-02-16, 08:16 PM
The girl's face lights up with inarticulate joy. Exuberantly, she reaches out and gives Mariko a delighted hug. "Oh thank you! Thank you, thank you! I've waited so long, so very long!"

Realizing that she's hugging a bare acquaintances, she releases Mariko, blushing, though she's still glowing happily. "I've never been able to tell anyone, and now I will be with others like me!"

Kyeudo
2008-02-16, 08:25 PM
Insar

"Others like you? Do you mean what I think you mean?"

Jannex
2008-02-16, 08:31 PM
Mariko looks slightly discomfited; it's not that she didn't want the girl to touch her, but rather that she's quite unused to that sort of attention, particularly from those she doesn't know well. She quickly covers the expression of discomfort, though, not wanting to make Margot feel awkward.

She, too, caught the apparent meaning behind Margot's words, but she lets Insar's question speak for her, rather than adding her own query.

joseybird
2008-02-16, 08:41 PM
At Mariko's reaction, the girl goes shy again, though her mood still seems bright. At Insar's question, she nods.

"I am a Crowned Sun," she replies simply, quietly.

I...I mustn't forget that we're all still strangers, really. They aren't my father, they aren't my people. I must be careful not to be too intimate. I'm made quite enough faux pas already...

Even so, a shiver of happy anticipation ran down Margot's back.

Tengu
2008-02-17, 02:35 AM
(cursed be different timezones!)

I knew there's something extraordinary about her...
Kadree approaches Margot from behind and pats her shoulder lightly, smiling widely and happily. "Do not worry about a single thing! Together we'll be able to take care of all our enemies, be them more Sesus nobles, spirits, demons or whatever might there be in the whole world! And I must tell you that..." She rubs the back of her head with her free hand. "Well, even if you were not one of us, we still would be happy to have you around! At least I think so..."

Cubey
2008-02-17, 05:34 AM
Iskira blinks in surprise at the sudden revelation.
"I honestly did not expect this, but I must admit... this is great news! I never would have imagined to meet a fellow champion of the Unconquered Sun in a den like the one we are in! I believe you are more than welcome to come with us." She smiles, looking extremely satisfied by the news. But nevertheless she stands in one place politely, not looking like if she was to hug someone from joy. "Should you get in trouble like this again, we will be sure to protect you. I give you my word!" She stretches her arm out to Margot like some kind of a knight in shining armor to his imperiled beloved. Which, given her small size (although still taller than Margot), looks a bit comical. And you are pretty sure Iskira's exclamations will draw attention if you don't silence her soon.

"I trust you." Emerald Star unfolds her fans once again, covering her face with one of them - not letting it betray any emotions, and leaving only the keen gaze of her eyes unobscured. "And believe me, I am as happy as the rest of my friends, but we should leave this place before celebrating. I just realized what kind of a demon that one was - a battle one, and easy enough to summon even for hedge thaumaturges. I don't know who called it against you, but if they had enough resources for one then we can expect another soon."

joseybird
2008-02-17, 10:31 AM
Margot turns her head and beams up at the taller girl.

These are wonderful people...not just Solars, but truly wonderful people!

Surely, she was blessed.

Now, I must work to deserve it.

"Thank you, Kadree...thank you so much..."

The casual, friendly touch nearly brought her to tears. It had been a very long time.

When Iskira speaks, Margot turns to her, still beaming, and shakes her outstretched hand. "And I shall serve you all as loyally as you have served me!"

I have served so many, but not with all my heart, nor willingly.

When Emerald Star speaks, Margot nods, and her demeanor--with some little effort--sobers.

"When we return, I shall confer with her ladyship--unless, of course, you wish to convey directly to her what you told me. I must tell her the information I was bidden to obtain, but..." she pauses to reflect "I would not reveal your secrets any more than is strictly necessary for Her Ladyship to finish her task."

Kyeudo
2008-02-17, 02:02 PM
Insar

"Now, to some more pressing buisness. We have these two thugs to deal with. They have seen much, and there is no telling what they have heard. What shall we do?" Insar's face is grim, contemplating the likely outcome.

joseybird
2008-02-17, 02:21 PM
"They would surely be caught, tortured for what information they could give, then killed. I would suggest a sanctified oath, but I doubt that will stop them from speaking if they are forced."

Cubey
2008-02-17, 02:44 PM
"I believe we should deliver them to the guards of this city. They should be incarcerated and judged for crimes they have committed." It sounds like a joke in Nexus, but Iskira looks serious. Apparently she has no idea how things work like in this city...

Kyeudo
2008-02-17, 02:48 PM
Insar

"That wouldn't solve our problem, even if they had commited a crime, which they haven't. Nexus has no laws against kidnapping or mugging. Anyway, they would still be able to spill our secrets to whomever they wished."

joseybird
2008-02-17, 03:02 PM
Margot knits her fingers uncomfortably. "Killing them might be a mercy, considering the alternative they will face," she mummers, clearly reluctant but unable to come up with any other solutions.

Jannex
2008-02-17, 05:34 PM
Mariko nods her agreement with Insar's assessment. "By their own words, these men are kidnappers and murderers; I don't see that we have any responsibility to them aside from putting them out of their misery more mercifully than their employers will when they catch them. I think we've gotten all the information we can get from them--I'd considered letting the leader go, in the hope of following the assassin that would be sent to eliminate him, but I don't think that's worth the information that could be pried out of him first." Her tone is once again dispassionate and businesslike. "We should finish with things here, and be on our way."

Tengu
2008-02-18, 01:06 AM
Kadree looks reluctantly at the prisoners, rubbing the back of her head with very uneasy face. "Are you sure there is absolutely no other, better way? I know that these folks are murderers and deserve to die themselves, and that they will die in pain if they return anyway, but..." She sighs. "It still doesn't feel right."

Kyeudo
2008-02-18, 02:12 AM
Insar

"I like it no better, but what choice do we have? We can't have the Floating Hands knowing of our true nature if we can help it, and these thugs won't hold anything back, even under a heaven-enforced oath."

Jannex
2008-02-18, 02:41 AM
Mariko's expression softens slightly as she regards Kadree. "I'm sorry, Kadree. I understand your reluctance, but under the circumstances, we really don't have any other option. I hope you won't think any less of me for it. You don't have to participate, or watch." She includes Iskira in this last offer as well, thinking that the idealistic young woman might have similar problems with the notion of executing the prisoners in cold blood.

Tengu
2008-02-18, 03:15 AM
"I have seen my friends getting killed in front of me before, and these people here are killers. It will not matter to me whether I watch or not this time... just do it quickly. And painlessly."

Cubey
2008-02-18, 08:38 AM
As soon as Mariko addresses Iskira, she notices that her position has changed - instead of standing where she was at the time being, she situated herself between the prisoners and the rest of the group - that is, you. She stretches her arms wide, barring you any access to the thugs, or at least trying to do so.
"I cannot believe what I am hearing! I... would never expect anyone from you to decide to act that way! They are our prisoners and deserve... just treatment! Do you think that one would tell you so much if he knew what you intended?" She asks, desperately trying to camouflage her shaky voice. Her eyes have a serious, determined gaze about them.
Well, just great. Emerald Star sighs upon hearing the exclamation as well.

As for the bandits... the one you interrogated started to twitch nervously. He definitely expects trouble.

Tengu
2008-02-18, 10:37 AM
"Listen Iskira, these people are murderers, letting them go will only make them commit more of their deeds..." Kadree sighs, her words do not convince her herself. "Alright, a different approach. What about explaining to them what will they face if they decide to report to their superior? They will not tell anyone of our presence that way. And it should work, seeing as when a certain person among us speaks, everyone listens." She grins slightly, looking at Margot.

There is simply no way this solution will satisfy anyone, I know it...

Jannex
2008-02-18, 06:16 PM
Carefully keeping her frustration from her face, Mariko approaches Iskira, her empty hands at her sides and her expression slightly sad. "I wish it were as easy as that, Iskira, I really do. But it isn't; not here." Her voice is soft, but carries far enough for the other girl--and probably the prisoner they interrogated--to hear. "These men were ordered to do a job by a powerful criminal organization, and they failed. Do you know what will happen to them, if we let them free? I do, because I know the way people like their employers think. Other, stronger agents will be sent to find them, to hunt them down, to learn what they know, and then to destroy them. Even if they fled the city, we have no way of knowing how far beyond Nexus the reach of the Floating Hands extends. They would not escape. Their failure makes them no longer useful to their organization, and the fact that they still breathe makes them loose ends. People who control organizations like the Floating Hands don't like loose ends; they can't afford them. And so these men will die, horribly, in fear and pain, because we didn't want to get our hands dirty and do the merciful thing for them. Do you want that on your conscience, Iskira?"

Kyeudo
2008-02-18, 07:23 PM
Insar

"Let's just get this over with." Insar will draw his sword, face hard as he struggles internaly with what he is about to do.

joseybird
2008-02-18, 08:33 PM
"Kadree..." Margot looks up at the taller girl, her blue eyes sad and resigned. "If they are let free, or left here alive, they will be tortured for information, and nothing I could say to them or oath I could bind them with would prevent them from revealing what they no, nor would it prevent them from being horribly murdered."

Her gaze moves to Iskira. "Mariko is right, Iskira. I am sorry...I've been turning it over in my mind, and I can think of no option that would keep them alive. If they are to die, better their deaths be quick and relatively painless."

She turns and returns to the frightened thug. Kneeling beside him, she cups his cheek with one hand and rests her other hand on his shoulder. She hushes him.

[roll0] to calm him

joseybird
2008-02-18, 08:59 PM
Also, if we can make social rolls vs. NPC party members, rolling to convince Iskara [roll0]; that includes bonuses from her charm and heathstone, so if those don't apply as towards a Solar, please adjust accordingly

Cubey
2008-02-19, 01:28 PM
You could swear that the beam of light shining through the window gets more intensive when it falls on Margot and the thug - who closes his eyes and sighs, but doesn't say anything. He looks strangely peaceful for the situation he is in.

Unlike Iskira, who is unusually emotional for herself. "I... this is so stupid! Excuse me..." She quickly rushes outward, to the exit, avoiding gaze but looking obviously shaken. Maybe there were even tears gathering in her eyes, but you are not sure.

"The world is too cruel for her. This is so sad, if you think about it." Emerald Star shakes her head, but her face betrays sympathy rather than criticism.

joseybird
2008-02-19, 06:44 PM
Margot watches Iskira leave, her blue eyes full of pain and a longing to follow the girl. But she does not move, fearing that if she does so, the prisoner might panic and end up dying in misery.

I'm so sorry, Iskira!

But quietly she wonders how Iskira--a Solar, and thus one of the most hunted and hated beings in Creation--had managed thus far to maintain such an idealistic mode of behavior.

Had I not adjusted, I would have been dead long ago, or in some lord's pleasure palace.

Even the naiveté that hadn't been dispelled in her quest for survival had been enough to get her into the situation with the thugs and and the Fire-Blooded. And if that agent of Lady Tree hadn't happened to be in the right place at the right time, she could not even imagine what would have been done to her by the gang which had plucked her clueless, innocent self off the streets of Nexus during her first hour in the city.

I hope we won't often be faced with such a dilemma...I hope Iskira comes to accept this...I hope this is the right decision after all...

She dearly hoped that one of the others would run after Iskira, and when they did, that they'd manage to make her feel better.

Kyeudo
2008-02-19, 07:16 PM
Insar

Obviously conflicted about killing helpless foes, Insar's sword falls twice.

joseybird
2008-02-19, 07:38 PM
When she knows her help is no longer needed, Margot gets up and rushes after Iskira.

Tengu
2008-02-19, 08:04 PM
Kadree does not look away, although it is very obvious that it's painful for her to watch. "So much for a life of no regrets... damnit!" She hits the wall with her fist and turns around into the exit's direction. "Are we done here? Let's get going from here. And by here, I mean both this warehouse and, as soon as possible, the city. I didn't expect this place so be so... corrupt." She grits her teeth and looks gloomily outside. If I will probably have trouble falling asleep this night, I can only imagine how might poor Iskira feel...

Kyeudo
2008-02-19, 08:25 PM
Insar

"I expected Nexus to be a hive of corruption and filth, but never thought that it would be forced upon me. I agree that we should make any further stay here as short as possible."

Jannex
2008-02-19, 08:48 PM
Mariko, who had begun to draw one of her daggers when Iskira moved away from the prisoners, slides the weapon back into its sheath, knowing that Insar's larger blade will accomplish the task more quickly and mercifully. With the matter resolved, the tension in her shoulders relaxes a little. Still, as she watches Margot hurry after Iskira, there is worry in her eyes. Iskira won't be comfortable around me now. She might even ask me to leave. I wouldn't blame her; it's because of me that all this happened in the first place, that those men needed to die. This is my world, not hers. She notices the troubled look on Insar's face, and wonders uneasily why the expression isn't mirrored on her own features. Listening to his and Kadree's words, that uneasy feeling only intensifies. It's not any of theirs, really. But it's mine; it's part of me. And... She shakes her head, and tries to focus on the things she can affect; namely, how to deal with the next round of assassins that the Floating Hands will inevitably send, and how she might track them back to their leaders.

Cubey
2008-02-20, 02:25 PM
Insar's hits are powerful and swift, killing both of the criminals instantly. Their blood splattering all over their surroundings doesn't help, though.

Margot notices that Iskira is standing right on the street, her head facing up, to the shining sun. It's difficult to believe it's still morning - so much happened in such a short amount of time. Her eyes are closed, but her face seems to struggle to maintain a neutral expression.
"I... this should never happen. Why? I know, I know it was for the best. But what made it happen that way? What cruel fate limited our choices?" She seems to be asking you more than herself. Even if she didn't notice you, she surely heard you.

You can't help but feel a bit guilty about the situation. In cases of some of you, more than a bit - even though you realize that it was probably the best course of action.
Limit Break roll for people with Compassion 3 or more. Hope for lack of 10s this time!
Kadree: [roll0]
Margot: [roll1]

Emerald Star sighs sadly. "I think we're done here. Let's leave before we draw more attention." She's right - it seems commotion caused by the battle (mostly the demon, since it entered right through the damn wall!) makes more people appear in this area.

joseybird
2008-02-20, 04:49 PM
(You know, never tell me the odds...)

Margot stops a couple of feet behind Iskira.

In the soft morning breeze, her arms and breast feel oddly cold, and out of the corner of her eyes, she can see crimson splashed accross her body.

"Iskira..." She moves a few steps closer to the older girl, reaching out her hand and resting it lightly on Iskira's shoulder. Margot can feel tears well up in her eyes as the other girl's words pull her mind back--

"Daddy...Daddy, what's wrong...Daddy?!"

His bloodstained body had sagged in her arms, just as the thug's had.

Oh light...

"Because...because the world has...has declined..."

Because we went mad and had to be put down like dogs.

"That is what we are here to change..."

Her father's sweet face, contorted in agony and fear, staring into hers as he died...

And this time, I helped.

Weak-kneed, the girl stumbles, and she suddenly reaches out and hugs the older girl, her face buried in Iskira's shoulder, weeping earnest tears of empathy.

Cubey
2008-02-21, 01:16 PM
Iskira returns the hug, her moves awkward as she does so after a moment of surprise or hesitation. Her embrace feels stronger than what you'd expect from her body mass, both comforting and seeking comfort.
"I know... and we will change that. This is my promise - to myself, to the Sun, to my friends, and to you. Thank you." A sense of relief resonates from her words, but tears suddenly start to form in her still-closed eyes.
The whole scene is observed by Star, who is already outside and leaning on the warehouse's wall, her expression hidden behind fans wielded in crossed arms - as always.

Regardless of everyone's concerns, no further supernatural troubles happened on that day. Feel free to post what you are doing during the rest of the day, or maybe even later. Consider it "downtime".

Also, although you didn't face any substantial danger, a new companion joined the Solar team and you suffered from significant emotional experiences. In other words, you get 4 XP each. I'll put Margot's character sheet in the OOC thread later today.

Kyeudo
2008-02-21, 02:53 PM
Insar

((With the spare time today, I want to check the progress on the armor repaired. If he isn't done yet, I want to get an estimate on how long until it will be done.))

Insar spends the evening watching the sun set over Nexus, contemplating the morning's events and still obviously troubled.

Tengu
2008-02-22, 01:59 AM
Kadree is in no mood to do anything. She goes to her room in the inn and lies down on her bed with a very unhappy face. After a while, she simply falls asleep - seems that she was able to do that, after all, although she sleeps very uneasily.

joseybird
2008-02-22, 02:31 AM
Margot weeps on Iskira's shoulder for some time, taking comfort from the girl's words and embrace.

Afterwards, she is very quiet, subdued. She requests an escort back to Glorious Burning Tree's mansion, where she will give Lady Tree a slightly edited account of what Tree wanted to know and what had just happened. She will also tell Tree that she plans to leave Tree's service to travel with the group.

Jannex
2008-02-22, 03:29 AM
Sensitive to her friends' unhappiness and feeling responsible for it, Mariko nearly jumps to volunteer to escort Margot back to her employer's residence, thus giving the others some time without her as an uncomfortable reminder of what happened that morning. If not for the criminal organization that was, at this very moment, out for her head, she would be inclined to disappear for a while, and take a walk through the city to clear her mind. However, she knows that it would be painfully stupid to go out wandering on her own right now. With that concern prominently in mind, she chooses a well-trafficked route back to Glorious Burning Tree's manor, such that she can blend easily into the crowd, and there are no convenient ambush points from which assassins might strike.

Spending 3 motes of Personal Essence on Easily Overlooked Presence Method; can I assume that if Margot watches Mariko activate the Charm, Margot will be able to keep track of her?

joseybird
2008-02-22, 04:35 PM
Margot happily accepts Mariko's offer of escort. Wrapping her cloak once more around her--to hide the bloodstains--she begins walking in the direction of Tree's mansion. Her hood is tossed back, and her shining golden curls and beautiful face attract the kind of attention one would expect while effectively making Mariko even more invisible to onlookers.

As she walks, Marot murmers to Mariko, "I've usually not had much trouble in this district of Nexus, but I've been lucky during my three weeks here. You are...more familar with Nexus, yes?" Her voice--always sweet and soothing--is very low, so that only Mariko can hear.

Jannex
2008-02-22, 05:24 PM
Mariko nods, replying in the same hushed tone. "I grew up here. I guess Nexus is more 'home' to me than anywhere else I've been. I understand how things work here. As dangerous as things can be, it's... comfortable, in an odd sort of way." Margot might get the impression that this is much more than Mariko would customarily say in reply to a question like hers; it seems that the topic has been much on her mind. She glances at Margot. "You may want to try to look a little less conspicuous; you're known to associate with us, and they've already targeted you once."

Cubey
2008-02-22, 05:38 PM
Insar's armor will be done in about a week - the smith is visibly sweating from every pore in his body, tired from the constant work on it. He also seems very happy to do it though - apparently enjoying working with jade.

Margot's report is met with an indifferent expression from Glorious Burning Tree.
"I see. You did well, and you can leave any time you want, too. That's how your contract states, does it not?"

"But stay for the party. It's not a long time from now on and perhaps something interesting will appear. It's as likely as a rain of candy falling down on Firewander District, but..." She shrugs.

Later that day, Emerald Star has, to your surprise, asked Tree to check something in one of her books. To your bigger surprise, Tree agreed. Iskira looks a bit down all day, and is unusually quiet.

joseybird
2008-02-22, 06:07 PM
"It must have been odd to return...how long has it been?"

Flushing, the girl draws up the hood of her cape, so that her face and hair are hidden from view. "I'm sorry, I--..." She falls silent, recalling the troubles she has encountered in the past when she's failed to thoroughly cover herself in public. I shouldn't do anything that would cause trouble for them.

Jannex
2008-02-22, 06:36 PM
"It's all right," Mariko says gently, "we just need to be careful right now." A few moments pass before Mariko answers the other girl's question, as she scans the crowd around them and the buildings on either side, alert for any sign of trouble. "It's been a couple of years since I've been back here. I suppose the strangest thing is how little has really changed--some of the merchants and the shops are different, of course, but the way things work, the spirit of the city, is still very much the same."

joseybird
2008-02-22, 06:56 PM
Her face and body completely obscured by the cloak except for one small, delicate hand clasping the cloak about her, Margot listens to Mariko speak.

She is...not very comfortable speaking about herself, Margot realizes. Naively, she had always thought that Solars--forced to hide their identity from most of Creation--would be eager to share their lives with those they knew they could trust. And Margot was curious to know how Mariko's life fit into the context revealed by the thug during the interrogation.

Margot is about to ask, but then she glances over to Mariko and thought better of it. She was lucky enough to have elicited as much as she had thus far; she does not want to be pushy or make Mariko feel uncomfortable.

"It must be nice...even if your memories are not entirely positive."

Jannex
2008-02-22, 07:38 PM
An odd expression crosses Mariko's face in response to that last statement, but it disappears quickly. "I suppose so, in a sense," she says after a pause. "But in some ways, it makes things hard. I know that Nexus isn't a kind place, or a pleasant place, but I understand it. The others hate it here--and after what happened this morning, how can I blame them for that?--but Nexus is a part of me; it made me who I am. So when I hear them talk about how corrupt and evil this place is... it makes me uneasy."

Abruptly, Mariko looks away from Margot's face to scan the crowd again, surprised to have shared so much with the other girl, and a little embarrassed; if the others back at the Trade-Prince's Rest knew she felt that way, it would worry them.

joseybird
2008-02-22, 11:05 PM
Margot turns her luminous, cornflower gaze to study Mariko. The open guilelessness in her eyes is striking, considering her demonstrated skill in adopting different persona. "Is...is this place really so foreign to their own experiences?" There is a confused chord in the music of her voice, and her golden brows knit slightly, perplexed. Mariko might recall the quiet conviction in the girl's voice earlier when she said that they had no better choice than to kill the thugs.

Surely they've experienced worse than this...surely! Guiltily, the girl recalled the reactions of discomfort that accompanied her interrogation of the thug, and she reddens in shame. Perhaps Mariko has felt similarly, if she's had to do distasteful things, living in Nexus...? But surely she wouldn't have done something like that.

It was a little thing, she knew, but it was too meaning-laden, too implication-laden. Stupid whore.

Jannex
2008-02-22, 11:55 PM
"I think, in some ways, it really is pretty different from their experiences," Mariko explains quietly. "In the time I've been with the Dawning Suns, we've come to the aid of poor farming villages in trouble, battled monsters and malevolent spirits and Dynasts who were trying to kill us. Out there in the open countryside, there's very much the sense that there are Heroes, and there are Villains, and the dangers are usually pretty obvious. Here, things are grayer, less certain. In Nexus, the most important actions you take aren't necessarily about Righting Wrongs and Saving Innocents... they're about simple survival. And sometimes the things you have to do to survive aren't pretty, but if you can't do them, you end up dead in a gutter somewhere." She goes quiet for a moment. "In some ways, I envy Iskira her idealism; she grew up able to think about what should be done, instead of what needed to be done." She steps a bit closer to Margot as they walk, taking even more care to modulate her voice to avoid being overheard. "I've had a couple of years to come to terms with my Exaltation, to make it a part of myself. But there's a part of me that's still that kid who grew up on the streets of Nexus, and passed herself off as a boy to keep people from looking too closely at her, for fear of what they might do." She shrugs. "That's the world to me. It isn't Iskira's heroic stories about slaying monsters and rescuing villagers. I can do that, and I can appreciate the value in it, but all the rest of it is still going to be there, in the background. I understand the world differently, and I can't escape that understanding. I'm not even sure I'd want to." Mariko draws her cloak more tightly about herself, an instinctive gesture to make her less noticeable.

((If other people want to wrap up downtime and proceed with things, feel free; we'll just finish this conversation behind spoiler tags. We don't want to hold things up for everyone else.))

joseybird
2008-02-23, 01:13 AM
Margot listens, absorbing Mariko's words.

A survivor among idealists...how strange.

"I...I see. I suppose I thought...that all Solars had led difficult lives, had struggled to survive." She bites her lips. "I myself...I was a peasant girl who was taken as a slave. I Exalted and fled...I had to lie very low, which was difficult..." She shakes her head. "Perhaps because fighting was so rarely an option, I had to be clever, I had to adopt different personas when necessary, I could not afford to be completely truthful all the time. One misstep and I would have ended up in some Dragon Blooded or patrician's harem. And if that happened, I would never have been able to help my people. I made...cost-benefit analyses, I guess."

Her slender fingers tighten their grip on her cloak.

"But I've been lucky. Very, very lucky. I...I don't think I'm as...as practical as you are; I haven't had as difficult a life as you had. But I understand. We are servants; we were given the Sun's blessing to serve creation. In a way, our lives are worth more because we can give more, so better to choose our lives over those of a couple of thugs because we can use our lives to save and better those of others." Her eyes move again to Mariko's face, hoping that her words make sense.

Jannex
2008-02-23, 01:40 AM
Mariko nods, listening. She has a bit of Iskira's self-sacrificing idealism, but it's tempered by a pragmatic sense of what she has to do to survive. She understands.

"I lost a lot of friends two years ago, when the Floating Hands attacked," she says softly. "Good people. Family. The rest of the world has already forgotten them, except perhaps as an object lesson in who not to cross. I'm the only one left to remember them, to avenge them... and maybe to keep some other poor street kid who's lucky enough to find a family from losing it. It's all about keeping sight of what's important."

joseybird
2008-02-23, 02:16 AM
That sounds...so familiar.

"I understand...oh light, I understand. I'm sorry."

The girl's voice is laden with emotion, pain.

"I understand."

They walk for several minutes more in silence.

She closes her eyes momentarily.

I walk free, and you suffer and die in captivity and hardship!

"My...my people are still alive," she says simply, without further context, almost to herself.

Jannex
2008-02-23, 02:25 AM
A sympathetic frown crosses Mariko's face, and she looks at the younger girl with concern. "You don't have to, of course, but... do you want to tell me what happened?" she asks hesitantly.

joseybird
2008-02-23, 02:54 AM
"It has been a year and a half, and I have told no one. I've been able to tell no one." She looks directly at Mariko, and the gratitude in her eyes is so great that her whole countenance glows with it. "I grew up in the village of Haddan...a tiny little place on the edge of House Sesus's threshold lands. We were farmers, very poor, and unable to pay much tribute. So they'd take slaves as well." Her breathing becomes heavy as she struggles to keep herself composed. "I lived with my elderly father; my mother had died in childbirth, I had been told. He kept me safe, hidden, sheltered. All my life. He was terrified that if the Dragon-Blooded saw me, they'd take me away...so I was the village's secret...hidden..." She licks her lips anxiously. "My village had often hid...heretics, traitors to the realm, to the Sesus lords. When I was 13, we gave safe haven to a couple of rebellious spirits...we got word that troops were chasing them...I went with my father to beg the assistance of our local god, but on the way back, we were attacked. My father--!" She chokes up. "H-he d-died...I was holding him...they k-killed him...th-they captured my village, took prisoners, took me...looted, plundered...I was taken by the dragonlord and placed in the harem of Sesus Cardozo, General of the First Sesus legion. I was to be...the jewel...of his collection."

The girl shivers, but her face turns scarlet with shame.

"I s-saw...I s-saw...much....as I waited for him to return...from the wars..."

She slows her pace; she looks unsteady on her feet.

Jannex
2008-02-23, 03:11 AM
Concerned, Mariko moves to steady the other girl, but hesitates before touching her arm; she doesn't want to startle Margot while she's in the process of reliving such difficult memories. "Here," she says softly, holding out her hand, but not taking her arm unless the younger girl makes some acknowledgement of the gesture.

She starts to look around for a place to sit, but quickly rejects the idea. Despite the protection of the crowds, the streets of Nexus are still a dangerous place for the two of them. It is best if they reach Glorious Burning Tree's estate as quickly as possible. If Margot allows Mariko to take her arm, she will support the girl while trying to hurry them along to that destination and the safety it offers.

joseybird
2008-02-23, 03:27 AM
Margot allows Mariko to take her hand; her small figure is trembling visibly, and her her already fair skin is drained of color.

"He r-returned at last...I was 14...by then I had heard...my captive village was to be destroyed...I begged him, oh I begged him to spare them. I told him I would serve him as I would a god...if her were merciful...and he promised. He promised, Mariko! But then he gave the order...oh gods...and I felt....I could feel them die in agony. And then the general screamed and collapsed, and I...I....Exalted...he had broken...his oath...escaped..."

The girl's voice has been growing faint, and her knees begin to buckle beneath her. She does not look at Mariko, but straight ahead, staring with an anguished look marring her youthful countenance.

Jannex
2008-02-23, 03:58 AM
Mariko slips an arm around the smaller girl's back, as much to keep her upright as to provide emotional reassurance. She tries to find words to reassure and comfort Margot, but "it's all right" rings hollow even in her own mind. "I understand," she finally manages, softly.

The back of Mariko's neck prickles uneasily; they are in an exposed area, and the situation is rapidly turning into a spectacle of sorts. Fortunately, they've been walking long enough that they have nearly reached Glorious Burning Tree's residence. Mariko half-carries Margot the remaining block or so to the front gate. ((Can I assume that the guards, recognizing Margot, won't give them any trouble? If this is not the case, I'll amend.))

Once inside, Mariko finds the first convenient place--preferably one out of earshot of any guards--and sits Margot down, taking a seat beside her. "I do understand," she says gently, one hand still on Margot's arm. "My own experience... It happened when the Nightbirds were slaughtered. Several of us were out on a job; it was routine spying, but the target had been tipped off, and met us with overwhelming force. At the time, I couldn't understand how I had gotten away. I know now..." She taps the center of her forehead, where her now-hidden Caste Mark would be. "No one else on my team survived. I saw Brody taken down right in front of me--heard the crunch as the sword broke his arm and continued through to his chest. Heard the screams of the others as I ran. There was nothing I could do. I could barely fight at all, then. I had to get back, warn the others that we'd been caught. But..." Her voice is tight, but her unfocused eyes are dry. Margot might get the sense that Mariko is reliving the scene with near-perfect clarity.

"When I got back, I found... We'd been hit at home, too. They were all dead, everyone. Blood everywhere, soaking into the floorboards. I was the only one left, and that only because I'd Exalted while my friends were dying." She turns her face to Margot, her eyes finally refocusing. There are still no tears. "That's why I need to find the people that did it, the Floating Hands--the ones who ordered it done. And kill them."

Tengu
2008-02-23, 05:15 AM
(mood break!)

Kadree passes by the window where Insar is situated, rubbing her belly and yawning with a sleepy expression, Norbo situated on her shoulder as usual. She blinks and turns into his direction, noticing him. "Oh, hi. Very quiet today, isn't it? Wonder what everyone is doing... How is your armor that you're having fixed? I was thinking... we should probably give that free armor paper we have to Iskira. Nobody else from us would really benefit from that." Her voice is still a bit tired, and it's quite obvious that she came out with this topic to forget about other matters.

Kyeudo
2008-02-23, 01:29 PM
Insar

Insar seems a little lost in thought. "The smith said it will be a week at least before the armor is done." Gazing out at the sinking sun, Insar sighs. "Watching the sunset always reminds me of the day I Exalted. Up until that day, I was no better than the Empire's puppet, blindly believing the Immaculate doctrine. I even joined the Legions to serve the Realm and do my 'duty.' Hah!" Insar gives a small, self depreciating laugh. "I was drafted to serve in the Wyld Hunt, and thought it an honor. We found the Solar we had been sent to kill in a small village in the north, and surrounded him. He fought back, of course, and nearly made it out. He would have, except I got in his way."

Insar's tone grows slightly bitter as he talks. "Normaly, a mere mortal is no match for a Solar in combat, but he was wounded and drained from fighting the Hunt's Dragon-Bloods. I remember the fight like it was yesterday. His anima was a burning pheonix, shining with orange and rose light in the dimming twilight. Even though he was wounded and I was still fresh, it took all I had to kill him, and when I did, I Exalted."

"He must have been my previous incarnation. That's the only thing explanation for the timing. My Exaltation made me realize exactly what I had done. I had killed one of the Sun's children for no reason other than he existed. He didn't deserve the fate he was given, and I had been all too willing to give it to him. This morning events reminded me of that in a strange way." Shaking his head, Insar continues. "Those thugs deserved what they got. They were kidnappers at the least, and likely murderers, yet it was difficult for me to kill them. That Solar didn't deserve death, and yet I killed him without a thought. Yet both bother me as much as the other. All I can think is, Why?"

Tengu
2008-02-24, 02:39 AM
Kadree listens to the monologue with a thoughtful expression on her face, and nods after it's over, putting her hands on her hips. "All of us have done things we regret now... but it was in the past, when we were powerless and blind. But now... we might be hated, we might have to keep a low profile in fear of people discovering our true identity, we might have to do things we are not proud of... but we do have the power to change the world now! And we're going to use it, ha - we already are! Let's just see what is written in that scroll..."

She shakes her head. "I'm sounding like Iskira right now, huh? I think there might be two reasons for what you just said, Insar. Either it feels normal to you to kill an opponent you have defeated in a fight for life or death... or... when you've seen through the lies you used to be surrounded with, you started to respect life more."

joseybird
2008-02-24, 03:23 AM
Margot leans against Mariko, faint with emotion. It is obvious--from her reaction and from the distressed expression on her face--that she hasn't told her tale in a long time, if at all.

"Thank you," she whispers.

The girl rests her cheek against Mariko's shoulder and half-closes her eyes, breathing shallowly; Mariko can feel the pulse of her rapidly fluttering heartbeat.

Margot listens to Mariko's tale. The life older girl alludes to seems so strange to the girl who had lived in a tiny agricultural village all her life, hidden from strangers who might bring tales of a beautiful child to the greedy Sesus overlords.

But it couldn't have been so very different than what some in the village must have experienced, that day...Jonus, Tom, and Akiyo at least surely tried to fight back, only to watch their fellows cut down and enslaved...oh gods, I was so lucky...

Hadn't she been left untouched while her friends had been mutilated and tortured and raped?

And hadn't she still people to fight and die for, and not merely revenge?

She slips one small hand into Mariko's and squeezes it. "Helplessness," she whispers, knowing that that is the thread that connects their tales.

I was helpless indeed, but I was a child, and I knew nothing...Mariko is competent, practical...to be unable to help when one is like that...

"We will help you. They surely cannot stand against a circle of Solars, working together...sister."

We are kin now.

Kyeudo
2008-02-24, 03:55 PM
Insar

Insar laughs at the mention of Iskira. "Maybe your right. I still can't help but feel like it wasn't right to kill them when they were at our mercy."

Cubey
2008-02-24, 07:03 PM
(You guys are having angsty indepth conversations so beautifully that I don't feel like interrupting them with my posts. Okay, kidding, kidding. Just let me know when you want the plot to advance - we're in no hurry.)

Kyeudo
2008-02-24, 07:14 PM
(I'm done angsting for now. I don't know about Margot or Mariko though.)

joseybird
2008-02-24, 08:22 PM
(Mariko will probably wrap up our angst in her next post)

Tengu
2008-02-25, 03:56 AM
Kadree smiles sadly. "The truth is... there probably was another option, that would let us keep our identity secret, and treat them properly for what have they done, but without killing unarmed opponents that are at our mercy. We just didn't think hard enough about this, and chose the easier option instead. But that's not going to happen next time."

Jannex
2008-02-25, 02:16 PM
Mariko smiles faintly at the younger girl's last statement. Family... She had once had family, with the Nightbirds. They were always there for her, and she'd felt comfortable with them. She could let her guard down among them, and be herself; they'd understood her. In a way, it was a little strange to feel that again. She wasn't sure if the other Dawning Suns understood her that way, or ever could--but Margot did. That was enough.

She squeezes the other girl's hand gently. "Thank you," she says softly, her smile broadening a little. "I should probably get back to the others before it gets much later--though I'm not certain how eager they are to see me, right now. We'll see you again soon, though." She gives Margot a brief, hesitant hug before standing up. "I'm... glad we talked about this. Thank you."

Cubey
2008-02-25, 07:27 PM
Nothing interesting happens during the day... it is as if the daily dose of rush and excitement concentrated itself during the morning's struggle. Compared to that, even the usual Nexus life-and-death bustling looks, dare we say, usual. Emerald Star returns to your inn's room during the evening, looking content.
"I made some research on the demon. I think it'd help if we found out who summoned it, don't you think?" She smiles mysteriously, waving a scribble-full sheet of paper in her hand. "I made a list of requirements to summon such a thing - it'll help limit the list of potential suspects. There can't be many thaumaturges like that even in Nexus."

She is interrupted by an abrupt opening of the door - it is no one else but Iskira standing at the threshold, her face looking stern and determined as never before.
"I made my decision. Everyone - I ask you to hear my words. I... regained my resolve. We cannot let forces of evil act the way they do, perform malicious deeds and go unpunished." It seems a new Iskira-spun epic tale of Solar heroism is about to start.
"But what is more important is... to protect the innocents. The people we faced this morning may have deserved to die... but Mariko's friends surely did not. We are here now, we cannot waste the opportunity to ease the suffering they had to go through - even if they are already dead now. This is the best we can do for them now, is it not?" She smiles carefully, like if cautious of the reaction to these words. Compared to her usual talk, that sounded very... down-to-earth and empathic. You aren't sure if you expected that...

The next morning leaves you with a few things to do.
"Would you like to help me with this, Mariko?" Emerald Star hands over the list she made yesterday. Some of the ingredients, focuses and other stuff listed there are pretty hard to come by - it makes it possible to track down potential demon summoners! Of course, it will take a lot of time, effort and talking with contacts. As you open the door to your room, you... find a man slumped under a wall, half sitting and half lying there. It is no one else but Oak, who notices you and shakes his head, uttering a few sad-sounding and somewhat slurry words.
"Gah... I'm so sad. I may be old and the city may be hella big, but you forgot about me!"

"N... no one forgot about you, Oak! Please, do not say such awful things!" Iskira rushes towards him, offering a hand to help him stand up. However, she sniffs the air and frowns a bit as she gets very close.
"You smell of alcohol again. Please, do try to remove that nasty habit of yours!"

"What other pleasure do I have left, young lady Iskira? Seems that even whatever fate guides us on the path, it forgot about me too!" These words sound more cynical than depressed though. Is he trying to make a joke?

(Tired and busy. Will update character sheets later - sorry. Please bear with me.)

Kyeudo
2008-02-25, 09:25 PM
Insar

"We are stuck in Nexus until the scroll is translated, so I see no reason why we shouldn't see if we can do something about the Floating Hands. Whoever summoned that demon is probably in league with them, and we'll be forced to deal with them sometime anyway. I just hope that the Dragon-Bloods don't also show themselves, or things might get difficult."

joseybird
2008-02-26, 12:20 AM
Margot rises to her feet and beams up at Mariko. "I'm glad of it too. To be around those I like and trust...I have never been happier!"

Then, more soberly, "I will go speak with Her Ladyship now. I should probably wrap up my current projects before I leave her service; they shouldn't take too terribly long."

A little later, speaking with Tree, Margot accepts her now-former employer's invitation to attend the party.

If any Sesus attend, I might be able to pick up some information...

A short time later, Margot stood packing in the small room in Tree's mansion she had been living in these past three weeks. She had changed out of her bloodstained clothes; Now she wore a white cotton dress with a low-cut peasant blouse-style top, her curves accented with a cornflower-blue bodice. A simple brown suede shawl and brown and blue-suede sleeves completed the outfit, and a matching blue ribbon threaded with tiny pearls wove through her glowing gold curls.

Carefully setting aside her finery for the party, Margot hesitated at the site of her oricalchum razor claws. They were perfectly smooth and tastefully accented with sapphires, diamonds and pearls; remarkably small and delicate-looking for such a deadly weapon, they fit Margot's hands as if they had been made for her. Considering she had been given them just a month ago, Margot had wondered at this happy coincidence.

But should I bring them to the party?

She had neglected to bring them with her on her last little outing, and because of that she had been quite helpless in the fight. But in fact, she had never actually had a chance to use.

I don't want that to happen again...but...

But no; this was Burning Tree's party. The lady knew how to contain trouble better than anyone Margot had ever met.

Better just to pack them...

A soft fluttering sound interrupted her contemplation, and Margot turned her head towards the window from when the sound had come.

A sparrow had just flitted from a nearby tree branch to a branch right outside the open window. It was peering in at her, watching with its little head cocked to one side.

The girl smiles and goes to the window, placing her palms on the sill and leaning her head out to look back at the bird. At this point, Margot was so used to curious, fearless wildlife that they had become a comforting phantom presence on her frequent travels.

On impulse, she reaches out one child-like hand, one finger slightly extended, wanting to pet the little creature. The sparrow did not flutter away; instead, it seemed to lean a little closer to her, its tiny dark eyes still intent on her face.

I...probably shouldn't...

The idea that a wild creature would let her touch it was absurd and a bit childish.

Withdrawing from the window, Margot took her white linen bonnet from the pile of packed clothes and slipped it over her head, knotting the ribbon beneath her chin. As provincial as it looked, it still provided some alternative to muffling herself in her dark cloak whenever she walked outside.

She returns the window. The bird is still there, still considering her. Smiling, she blows it a kiss with two fingers and shuts the pane.

I have real people to speak with, now.

Then, Margot hurries downstairs to finish up her work.

Tengu
2008-02-26, 04:33 AM
"Alright, I second Insar here - it's better to do something than just sit around idly, especially if that something includes helping Mariko avenge her friends! I think I can smell Dragonblooded work in the air, but that is not a thing we really should worry about - we faced them once, and won already."

Kyeudo
2008-02-26, 01:24 PM
Insar

"We had an advantage over those Dragon-Bloods. They weren't expecting us and they didn't know we were Solars. If they have gotten reinforcements, a second fight may not go nearly so well as the first. We should be wary, just in case."

Cubey
2008-02-26, 06:15 PM
First, a question - where is Margot? She can be either here at the inn, or... well, whatever she wants. After all, she's a free woman and not a chain-bound slave.

Iskira offers a helping hand to Oak, supporting him into a standing position. Despite the alcohol he apparently consumed, the older man is surprisingly well-balanced and coherent.
"Oh dear. I would really prefer if you stopped embarassing yourself and me in such a way." She smiles in a warm, but apologizing way, then suddenly faces Insar with a look of inquiry.
"Oh yes, speaking of which, I just realised something! I believe you had something for me, did you not? I have heard that there is an important document that I should take a look on."
Heard from who? What important document - would she mean the paper on free armor? Did Oak overhear Insar and Kadree talking about it? He wasn't even there!

joseybird
2008-02-26, 08:43 PM
(She told Mariko that she was going to stay at Tree's to wrap up some of the work that was in progress--presumably the stuff that would suffer most from switching captains mid-storm, so to speak. She thought it only fair, considering that she gave no real notice.)

Tengu
2008-02-28, 06:56 AM
"Er, so - shall we get going and pursuit these clues we have? I'm not sure how much use will any of us apart from Mariko be, but some potential for help is better than no help at all! Not to mention that something might attack us on the way." Kadree seems to be in a better mood than before.

Jannex
2008-03-01, 02:21 AM
((I'm sorry, guys; I've had some RL Stuff hit me over the past few days, and haven't been in the proper head-space for this. I should be able to keep on top of this now, though. Again, I apologize.))

Mariko nods. "Right, we should get started. The faster we learn about them, the less time they'll have to learn about us." She pauses a moment, before starting for the door, fidgeting with the straps on one of her knife-sheaths. "Thank you all for being so willing to help me with this, especially after..." She doesn't finish, but smiles a little at Iskira. "I really appreciated what you said, before."

Then she straightens, and moves toward the door. "But you're right; we should get moving. The information that Star pulled together should be a great help. Our new friends will already have figured out that their first attempt at me failed, so they'll be trying again soon, I expect. I'll be glad to know you all are watching my back."

Cubey
2008-03-01, 06:05 PM
Iskira looks appreciated, hearing Mariko's comment, but then it changes into a very slight disappointment that no one gave her any piece of paper to read.
"Oh. My apologies - perhaps I was incorrect."
She focuses on getting Oak inside his room.

"So, should we split up? The list is long - some of these positions are easy to check... well, if a bit time consuming. It's a large city after all. Others are not - it's impossible to do any investigation on that if you don't have... contacts. If you know what I mean."
Emerald Star doesn't even have to act mysterious. Her meaningful stare at Mariko is more than enough - is it time for more underworld work?

Nexus seems to be busier than normal - mostly due to a larger than usual number of armed mercenaries walking here and there, and average people trying not to get into their way. It's probably because of what happened in that warehouse the day before. Even if no one saw the demon, rumours travel quickly in this city - a corpse in a side alley is nothing special, but a whole gang found murdered in an empty building... that's something different. The more Nexus-wise of you (read: mostly Mariko) start to get a feeling that you will be really, really lucky if you manage to avoid the Council's keen attention during your stay here.

Tengu
2008-03-04, 04:28 AM
Kadree rubs her chin in thought. "I'm not sure if splitting up is such a good idea - what if someone is watching us after all, waiting for a bad move? If this list is so long that we really should split or else we're going to spend ages checking all these clues, then let's split into two or three groups at most."

Jannex
2008-03-04, 08:55 PM
When Kadree voices her concern, Mariko nods. "I'm a bit wary of splitting up as well. True, a smaller group or an individual may be less noticeable than a larger group, and some of the people we need to talk to may get nervous with too many people, but we still have a well-organized criminal organization after us; any individual going off alone would be left vulnerable. I'm ready to start working through this list--I realize that I'm the most familiar with the ins and outs of Nexus, so a large part of this will be my responsibility--but I'd be more comfortable if I had a little company."

Kyeudo
2008-03-04, 11:17 PM
Insar

"I'll go with you. I'm always good for knocking some heads if it comes down to it." Some of Insar's normal spirit seems to be coming back after the events of yesterday.

Tengu
2008-03-05, 04:27 PM
"Then I will go with Mariko too - I think it's a safe bet that if there's any trouble, we'd rather encounter it around these trails that require contacts and such. Especially since if they expect Mariko to appear somewhere, it's probably going to be around one of those!"

Cubey
2008-03-05, 06:25 PM
(I am starting to hate the forum. It's always slow and unstable when you want to post the message. Graah!)

Here is what is written on the list provided by Emerald Star - she points out each position, granting additional comments. She looks very content of the job she had done on it.
-Ordinary materials. "I didn't list them, because they're not very expensive and readily available in any large city. Especially Nexus. Feathers, powdered silver... things like that."
-Blood. "Summonings are powered by your own Essence, but most thaumaturges aren't powerful enough and they have to use fresh human blood. Such a sorcery needs a lot of blood - it's quite distasteful, really. Mariko, could you ask your contacts to see if someone noticed one or several dead bodies devoid of bodily fluids, dumped somewhere?"
-Jade frames and heptagram. "Very large amounts of jade are needed to craft the symbol for the summoning. I don't think you can easily buy something like that, so we have to look for local jade merchants and... ask if they crafted something like that recently."
-Iron symbols. "Iron is easy to get but the symbols have to have certain shapes. Here." Indeed, there are pictures on the list, drawn by Star's own hand. "I don't know how many smiths can bend metal into sophisticated shapes like that."
-Ritual chamber. "This is very important - you can't summon demons just anywhere. A large room is required, and it needs certain furnishings. These furnishings aren't a good clue because any artisan worth their money can do that... but there has to be a limited amount of such chambers in Nexus. I think there may be a magical society or two around the city, and at least one has a chamber to their disposal. Of course, Thaumaturges are very secretive so finding them won't be easy."

It seems your clues are quite specific. Great, that makes finding the potential culprit only very difficult, instead of downright impossible as it'd be if you didn't have the list. "Would you like me to accompany you as well? I..." Iskira looks a bit ashamed. "I will certainly never refuse to assist you if asked, but finding information is not exactly my specialty, doubly so because we will have to work in such... shady circumstances."

At the same time, Margot is done with all the assignments she had left to work with at Glorious Burning Tree's place.
"You got your pay, and you're a free woman now. Not that you were a slave before... too bad perhaps." Tree smiles dryly - was that supposed to be a joke on her part? "I admit, I was pleasantly surprised to see how efficient you were at all the paperwork. If you change your mind, return to me and the job will be waiting for you. Unless it is taken by a younger, more skilled scribe who fills papers just by looking at them - there's so many people like that these days... well. Go now, before I get emotional. Good luck."

As soon as Margot leaves the building - she has to do that, eventually... a cold shiver runs down her spine. You feel like if you were being watched by some invisible, malevolent presence. Needless to say, this sensation is very unsettling despite the fact that the surrounding area is completely ordinary. If there is something like "ordinary" in Nexus.

Kyeudo
2008-03-05, 08:39 PM
Insar

"I think we should investigate the source of the blood, while Star, Iskira, and Oak check out merchants to see if they have made anything like that recently."

Tengu
2008-03-05, 11:57 PM
"I agree with Insar. Also... the thing about that summoning chamber caught my interest! the summoned demon appears in the chamber, right? That means it couldn't have been very far from the warehouse!"

joseybird
2008-03-06, 08:26 AM
Margot bows her head and courtseys in response to her employer's farewell, careful to suppress a blush at Tree's allusion to slavery. By now she was used to her mysterious, eccentric employer's oddities, and Margot would not have been surprised to know that Tree knew something of her past history.

"Thank you, Ladyship. You have been a good and fair employer, and I will surely take your kind offer into consideration if my journey returns me to Nexus someday."

Margot carefully conceals the heavy purse of jade she has been given as payment--Tree is generous with her bounty to those who serve her well--and slings her pack of belongings over her shoulder. Before she exits the building, she is careful to draw her long cloak about her once more.

On the street outside, Margot pauses as a shiver runs down her spine. Carefully, she scans the landscape: nothing.

Another...another demon? The Council? Other enemies?

She doubts that whatever this is is targeting Tree; more like, it has something to do with her new companionship with the other Solars.

Face pale with apprehension, Margot continues on her way to the inn the Solars are staying. She keeps her pace steady and casual, and she is careful to keep her purse and pack close and to keep her face hidden. Thankfully, Nexus is home to so many cloaked travelers and citizens that from an onlooker's perspective she appears to be, perhaps, a servant child back from a shopping trip.

Jannex
2008-03-07, 03:08 AM
"The source of blood does seem to be one of our best leads, though tracing it back to the parties responsible could be difficult. Does it need to be so fresh that the thaumaturge couldn't afford to be opportunistic, and take advantage of other people's dirty work? And it might be hard to determine whether a corpse was drained of fluids if it was subsequently dumped into the river, or dismembered..." She trails off, realizing that she must sound cold to the others. She averts her eyes, glancing at the window. "Still, it's a good lead, especially if the summoner needed a significant amount of blood to power the spell. Following up on that might also tell us if they're likely to try it again soon."

She turns her attention to Star and Iskira, as Insar suggested they should look for the crafted materials' makers. "It might be a bit difficult to follow up on the iron and jade items, as well. Do you recall when Insar wanted to find someone to fix that jade armor? We went out of our way to find a discreet craftsman, who wouldn't tell tales of the project for which we'd commissioned him. It's likely that our adversaries tend to employ similar folk--who are likely to be even more reticent, if they know who their clients are, and what those clients are likely to do in revenge if they betray their secrets. Getting that information will probably require some subtlety."

She reflexively checks that her knives are secure in their at her wrists. "For the moment, though, it sounds like we have a plan. Shall we begin?"

Cubey
2008-03-07, 07:05 PM
"That's a good question." Emerald Star opens her fans with a quick, snapping motion. "The blood has to be rather fresh. It can be stored for some time, but then it loses its magical potency and the ritualist needs even more of that. But what's more important is that you can't just collect blood from someone murdered already. It has to be shed with the intention of use for the spell's sacrifice."

"This is really awful to hear! To sacrifice lives of others only to fuel your own demonic pacts... If we find that evil sorcerer, I will make sure he will not go unpunished." Iskira clenches her fists, looking as determined as she usually is in situations like these. "But... well, maybe I really should examine the jade workers first."

If, or rather when, you decide to leave the inn, you see that Star, Oak and Iskira stay behind for a while - Oak isn't quite sober yet. "Don't worry. We'll go after we settle this, okay?" Star assures that they do not intend to simply stay in the room all day.

joseybird
2008-03-07, 07:28 PM
(Do they run into Margot along the way?)

Cubey
2008-03-07, 08:19 PM
No, or at least not yet.

Cubey
2008-03-09, 10:07 PM
Okay, I assume you are out for the search for blood - or rather, bloodless bodies whose fluids were used for the ritual. Unfortunately, Nexus is hell of a large city, and dead bodies aren't unusual here. How exactly do you intend to go around searching for clues? (Feel free to make dice rolls if you think they'll be needed.)

Margot reaches the inn safely. The unnerving sensation she felt before has faded completely and didn't reappear since then - you feel relieved. Inside, apart from workers who act in trained, friendly ways (it's their job after all), and travelers who keep to themselves, you find that your new friends have already left the building to attend to some matters of their own. With one exception.

"Hello, little lady." Oak rubs and shakes his head, as if he had difficulties focusing. "I'm glad to see you so soon again. Me myself, at your service! You're after all, part of Lady Iskira's company now, and they're like a family for me. Big, violent family." He grins, taking a slight yet respectful bow.

In case you ask him where the others went, which you probably will...
"I've not a slightest idea! Oh, alright - I lied here. I've no idea where sir Insar and misses Mariko and Kadree're now, if you remember their names. But young Lady Iskira left me notes saying where she and lady Star're going to. I was to go after them when I... err, felt better. Well, I do now, so here I go! Would you like to come along? That'd be a honor."

(Sorry for late posting. Tired. I think the post itself kinda screams that too - Oak's talking habits don't sound like him in this post. Oh well.)

Kyeudo
2008-03-09, 10:19 PM
((Oak doesn't talk often enough to have speaking habits yet.))

Jannex
2008-03-10, 11:23 PM
First, Mariko will seek out some of her remaining contacts within the city, to see if they've heard of any unusual activity consistent with the sort of exsanguinated corpse-dumping we're looking for. If those avenues fail to turn up any useful information, then it's time to start carefully poking around likely places where one might easily dispose of an inconvenient number of corpses--particularly near the docks, the industrial forges and kilns of Nighthammer District, and the edges of Firewander. She'll keep an eye out for anything unusual or suspicious-looking, and listen for any rumors that might be flying around. She also knows from personal experience that street children notice practically everything that goes on around them, and learn very quickly to make themselves effectively invisible; if she can get any of them to trust her enough to talk to her, she'll try to find out if they've seen anything consistent with what we're looking for.

Wits + Contacts: [roll0]
Percption + Awareness (spending 5 Personal Essence on Sensory Acuity Prana): [roll1]
Perception + Investigation: [roll2]
I'm not sure what precisely to roll to try to find and talk to street children...

joseybird
2008-03-11, 01:19 AM
As the feeling of being watched fades, Margot relaxes, and her high spirits return. She immediately hurries up to the room where she knew the party was staying, her eagerness undisguised.

Upon seeing Oak, she smiles and curtsies in her dainty fashion. Breathlessly, "I apologize for my delay in returning to the party...I was wrapping up my work for Lady Tree."

She is unsurprised to hear that the others are already out investigating.

Lady Iskira's company? Then she is the circle leader, perhaps...? Margot's knowledge of Solar lore is slight, but from what she's seen of Iskira, she can guess that the older girl is a Zenith, a member of the Caste which had held predominantly leadership roles in the First Age.

"I hope to soon be regarded as part of the family," Margot murmurs in reply, pleasure brightening her lovely countenance. "It has been a dream come true, meeting the all of you and being accepted into your Circle. I hope to soon prove worthy of the honor."

In response to Oak's inquiry, Margot beams and nods. "The honor is all mine."

Cubey
2008-03-12, 05:52 PM
Mariko's search bears fruit - one of her old contacts in fact DID notice a body being dumped in a corner alley of Firewander, a body which was bone-dry and had ritual-looking stab wounds.
"Don't forget 'bout it. We gotta help each other here." The contact shows you the way and disappears into the crowd. Who'd suspect a beggar to be that observant? Most people of Nexus, most likely.

The body wasn't there anymore, but you managed to find an urchin who saw the corpse being carried and dropped. The small child of indeterminate gender leads you away from Firewander, towards the better districts.
It's surprising that someone carried the corpse for so long, not caring about being seen by street children. Like if they wanted to be seen. Too suspicious.

Doubly suspicious when you finally reach the building where the body is said to come from. It is in Cinnabar district (but close enough Firewander that the local mercenaries don't have the habit of throwing out or beating up rundown people - yet), and the search took out the better part of the morning. In fact, it's way past noon already. The building itself looks very interesting, definitely a First Age construction or replica of the style - it resembles a giant cone shell, its spiked tip embedded strongly in the ground, the structure widening as it gets taller. It is much thinner than it is tall, reaching more than 60 feet in height - definitely a sight. The building's marble surfaces are highly polished, reflecting the sun's light, and the visual glory forms a contrast to strange stillness that permeates the air. It feels unnaturally quiet. Doubly so because the gates at the shell's base are wide open, yet you see nothing but a white hall inside... not even robbers, who'd come swarming at such an opportunity.

"Well spoken, huh? Let's go then. Can't keep 'em waiting." Oak leads Margot out, closing and securing the rooms first, of course. He takes you towards Nexus district and its many places of enterprise. "Time's 'bout right..." Oak stands under a stone statue, one of a serpentine dragon triumphantly roaring up to the sky. What is it supposed to symbolise, you know not.
People around you walk hastily, attending to their businesses - there even seems to be a richman, maybe a guild official, traveling with retinue of scribes and exotic-looking, heavily armed mercenaries. Looking at the older man's jewels and rich clothes, one can't help but wonder why he has to travel on foot. Maybe ten minutes pass before you notice familiar women approaching you from the crowd - despite their apparent lack of any effort in this area, people seem to avoid them, letting them cross the crowds easily. They are indeed Emerald Star and Iskira, who looks slightly ashamed.
"Hello! So nice to see you joined us... oh, Margot too." Star smiles, standing in a dance-like pose, her fans in hands. She definitely does a poor job at not attracting attention - you feel many sights falling upon you.
"We didn't find the right smith yet. They're either very good liars or really didn't do it, every one of them so far. But we tried our best. Iskira even made... other contacts." She covers her face with one of the fans, letting only the eyes visible as she tends to do - eyes that sparkle with mischief. Hearing these words, the blue haired girl visibly startles, then starts to look as dignified and composed as possible, closing her eyes and clasping her hands regally.
"It is not of initiative of my own. During our search, we have been approached by several young women who inquired might we be interested in having an, ahem, "good time". Their intent was vague, so I asked for clarification, and... would you please stop laughing, Oak?!" She loses the composure and looks irritated - not without reason, as Oak really is trying his best not to chuckly.
"Ah... h... I'm so sorry, young Lady." He stifles a laugh as he says that.

Any comedic values of the scene are ruined for Margot - you suddenly feel another shiver down your spine, just as before! If you take a look around, it seems that the statue you are at starts to be the center of a crowdless circle of silence - people start to scurry away from the plaza you're at, quickly but without giving an impression of cowardice if they can help it.
"Hold it!" A loud voice rings out suddenly from behind - and above, you! It is strong, confident and definitely belonging to a woman. If you turn back, you notice a tall figure standing atop a roof of a nearby building - situated against the sun, making any features impossible to discern from the distance you're at. (Roughly ten yards)
"I found you."

The whole place is devoid of people now. They sensed trouble.

Kyeudo
2008-03-12, 08:45 PM
Insar

"Well, we have an open door. Do we accept the invitation?"

joseybird
2008-03-12, 11:58 PM
Margot shyly averts her eyes at Star and Oak's amused responses to Iskira's discomfort. She is intimately familiar with the phrase, and she relates to Iskira's reaction.

As passersby begin scurrying away, and as the feeling of being watched returns, Margot moves closer to oak and steadies herself. She was wise enough to bring along her razor claws this time, and they feel warm and solid on their strap hidden in the folds of her skirt.

Looking up at the woman on the roof, Margot's hood falls back from her shining hair. This woman...she must have been watching me as I left Tree's... As Margot knows of no woman who might be chasing her personally, she guesses that this woman must be indicating the party by her declaration. Dragon-Blooded? Who else could inspire this fear, or make an appearance from a rooftop? Or a deputy of the Council's? Or...or perhaps the one who summoned the demon!

Deciding against reaching for her razor claws, Margot decides to wait to see what the woman does next, or if one of the three others suspects enough to answer the woman directly.

Jannex
2008-03-13, 02:03 AM
"If we don't mind walking into what's probably a trap," Mariko replies. "I'd like to take a look around the perimeter first, though. I might be able to see whether anything unpleasant is waiting for us inside, and if so, what." Unless the others object, Mariko carefully approaches the building, working her way around it in search of windows or other entrances that might serve as a vantage point. As she does so, she remains alert for any sound or movement in the surrounding alleys and buildings.

Dex+Stealth (I don't know how many days have passed, and thus whether wound penalties still apply. If so, discount the first die.): [roll0]
Perception+Awareness: [roll1]

Tengu
2008-03-13, 02:21 AM
Kadree pats Mariko on the shoulder lightly, smiling happily. "Good job finding this place - we wouldn't have managed that without you, for sure! Yeah, go look around, but be cautious... and for some reason I can't help but think that whatever you find around, we will have to come in and check out the situation anyway. But hey, it's always useful to know more details!"

Cubey
2008-03-13, 05:10 PM
(The OOC thread is always updated wound-wise - Mariko is at -0 wound penalties. Kadree and Insar are still at -1.)

The building itself seems devoid of windows, or entrances other than the one you spotted first. The terrain it stands on doesn't have gardens or even fences, often accompanying richer buildings - it's like if the structure's ominous shadow was enough of a sign saying "this belongs to me, back off" - whomever might be the owner. The surroundings are surprisingly quiet too, like if something scared people - and even small animals like birds or rats, away.

At the same time (maybe - you are separated, so you have no idea what the other people are doing), Margot notices that her companions are looking distressed at best. Both Iskira and Oak prepare themselves for combat, taking battle positions while their hands move towards their swords' hilts, probably cursing the fact that they didn't put armor today. Emerald Star seems more calm at the first glance, not changing her position and watching the figure analytically - but her eyes betray wariness.
"Whom might you be? You should reveal your identity before speaking! Might you be an enemy?!" Even under stress, ready to battle, Iskira still speaks in more official tones than you'd expect her to.

"No. I'm not your enemy." The female voice does not lose its strength. It's hard to believe that you can make out so little of the figure's details, even if she indeed stands in such a position. There is no way that magic of some kind is not involved.
"But there are enemies close. So beware! And the ones you consider enemies don't have to be them too. That's my advice, now's my warning - you didn't speak the forbidden words of the Lords Under yet. So do not do it! Find your friends, make sure they too do not speak them. Make haste! Every second counts now!" Without warning, the strange person jumps several tall yards into the sky, backflipping in the air to change the direction towards her back - she disappears behind the building, making no noise as she hits the ground. That's assuming it was a woman at all - despite the voice, you weren't able to make out even that from the figure.
The air still hangs silent and heavy, like if something was to happen every second now. You have a feeling that whatever was to shock you today, it has yet to happen - this strange meeting wasn't the end but the beginning.

Tengu
2008-03-13, 09:30 PM
"So, time to come in I guess!"

Kyeudo
2008-03-13, 09:48 PM
Insar

"Well, let's be careful about this. If they feel secure enough to leave their doors open in Nexus, they may pose an actual threat to us." Insar rests one hand upon his sword hilt, almost to emphasize his point.

Spending 6 motes of Personal Essence on Increasing Strength Exercise. I smell combat coming up before this scene is through.

joseybird
2008-03-13, 11:34 PM
Margot watches the woman, and listens.

"The ones you consider enemies don't have to be"...

The Dragon-Blooded? Perhaps. As of now, those were the only people Margot knew the party considered enemies. Immediately, she recalls the Sesus woman's insistence that she was not the party's enemy...

"The Lords Under"....? Demons? Was the woman suggesting that their real enemies were demons and those allied with them, and that their Dragon-Blooded pursuers were not connected to them?

They would have to discuss this, she knew. But not now.

Turning to Iskira, Margot says, in a soft, hurried tone, "We must find the others!". If the thing that she had felt watching her earlier was not that woman, and if it were still around, well...

Jannex
2008-03-14, 05:58 AM
Mariko looks at Insar, then glances back at the building, frowning. "We definitely need to be cautious. I think there's something supernatural about that place--something that keeps even the animals away from it. Perhaps that's why the door is open; because someone knows that intruders can't or won't enter."

Kyeudo
2008-03-14, 03:22 PM
Insar

"Well, we won't find anything out just standing here." Insar will head inside and look around.

Cubey
2008-03-14, 05:57 PM
"Yes! We should contact our friends as soon as possible!" Iskira sounds as hurried as Margot.
"How do we find where they are now? And... what if she was lying?" Emerald Star is, however, more sceptical than both of you.

Insar, and possibly others too, enters the building. What you see is a blindingly white, uniform interior - there are no decorations, and the place looks almost unearthly in its pristine calmness. The room is huge, taking most if not all of the building's volume. The only thing of interest is a ramp that starts right next to the door (thus it was impossible to notice from the outside), following at the walls in a circular fashion up. It seems to go all the way to the top of the structure. There are no sources of light or windows, but the interior is not dark - it's like if the walls themselves were glowing.
Climbing the ramp is easy, but also a little time-consuming due to its gentle slope. No points of interest spring as you go up, only you see the bottom of the room being more and more far away from you. It is unnerving, but not as unnerving as the ascetic design of the building.

Assuming you climb all the way up - the ramp disappears into the roof of the huge room, revealing another one situated above it. No matter how you enter - cautiously or with a rumble, ready to fight whomever was there... as there is no one to welcome you in the other room as well. No one alive at least... The place is as white as before, but the prisitine colour is spoiled with blood - there are spills of it both on the floor and the walls. Not only that, but there are bodies too - several people of varying ages and genders, but all clothed richly and with some kind of small personal weapon (mostly knives and short swords) near them. Actually, two of them look different - they're wearing dirtied leather and similiar thug-like apparel, and they look like ruffians as well. They look like if they died in a fight and, judging from just glances, didn't die recently. Details aren't possible to discern without examining with more scrutiny.

Aside from this slaughter, the room has some stone shelves in a corner - they are covered in soot, with piles of ash under them like if someone burned their contents (where did the smoke go then, with no windows?). And, most ominously, the center of the room is decorated with a large jade heptagram embedded in the stone floor. No bodies lie on the heptagram itself, but in its very center is an object - looks like a large green gem, possibly an emerald. Something about it draws your attention... aside from its normal gem-like shine, something seems to sparkle on its surface. You're not sure what at the this distance, however.

Kyeudo
2008-03-14, 07:48 PM
Insar

Keeping away from the heptagram and staying near the walls, Insar will circle the room to the shelves, examining the gem from several angles, then see if there is anything left in the ashes that might reveal what it was that was burned.

Here's an Intelligence + Lore check to try and identify what it is we may be dealing with. Insar may not be familiar with sorcery, but he still has a good amount of education.
Intelligence + Lore: [roll0]

Jannex
2008-03-14, 07:53 PM
Mariko adds her efforts to Insar's, carefully searching the room and its contents--though she likewise gives the jade heptagram a wide berth.

Looking around at the contents of the shelves, as well as the corpses, for anything noteworthy or interesting.
Perception+Investigation: [roll0]

Cubey
2008-03-14, 09:10 PM
Whatever was burned, the work was thorough - you have no idea what it was, and the ash is uniform. Also, the dead bodies do not have any items of interest, almost like if someone searched them and removed anything which could be a clue.

Insar's observations yield an interesting result - what is shining on the gem are engraved silver symbols, possibly letters. However, you can't see them closely without stepping on the mark on the floor. The distance is simply too big.

Jannex
2008-03-14, 09:22 PM
However, you can't see them closely without stepping on the mark on the floor. The distance is simply too big.

Not even with Sensory Acuity Prana up?

Cubey
2008-03-14, 09:25 PM
The prana doesn't work anymore - a lot of time passed since you activated it.

Of course, it's not a problem to use your essence in such a way again. Assuming you do so... the symbols are indeed visible. And they're nothing short of actual letters! But alas, letters you can't read. It's written in Old Realm.

Kyeudo
2008-03-14, 09:38 PM
Insar

((It probably is a known fact to the group that Insar speaks and reads Old Realm. A side effect of having a scholar for a father.))

"Should one of us get Star before we see what that gem is or should we chance it?"

Jannex
2008-03-14, 11:34 PM
I'll reactivate the Charm, spending Personal Essence. Then, is there a way Mariko could transcribe the symbols onto something else, so that Insar could read them? She would be careful to take reasonable precautions, such as not writing the whole thing out in order, but breaking them up a few words at a time, onto different bits of whatever she's writing on.

Also, is there a way we could clarify a little as to what constitutes a "scene" in pbp? That way, I might have a better sense of how long my Charms last, and when they need to be reactivated.

Kyeudo
2008-03-15, 01:02 AM
I think the general idea is that a scene is either 20 minutes or so outside of real action and until the action stops when something is actualy going on.

joseybird
2008-03-15, 01:45 PM
"We cannot afford to assume she's lying; we must act on the assumption she was telling us the truth, and be prepared in case she wasn't.'' Margot thinks for a moment, "If we have no method of contacting them directly, we'll have to make inquiries. Mariko might have avoided notice, but the other two might not have. We have already garnered so much attention that I do not worry that asking street children and the like will draw much notice." However, elf-consciously, she pulls the hood of her cloak back over her head.

Cubey
2008-03-15, 04:05 PM
One scene can take no more than roughly 20 minutes, but in case of shorter scenes it can take less. Example: a long battle which takes 30 rounds (read: 90 seconds), after which the winners just go on their way. That is, if they don't die of boredom of having a 30 round fight.

Mariko, thanks to her photographic memory, is able to memorise and write down the symbols - you can even do it on the spot if you have something to write on and write with.

Elsewhere:
"We can do that. Want me to ask around, or would you like to? I don't think you'll have trouble finding any information." Emerald Star is quite observant when it gets to everyone's individual talents. Perhaps this is why she didn't say anything about Iskira asking the urchins, too.
"Well... I believe that may be the best course of action as of now."

joseybird
2008-03-15, 06:57 PM
"I would be happy make inquiries, although don't let that preclude you from doing so as well if you think we would cover more ground that way." She scans the streets, on the lookout for any street children or beggers, murmuring, "Did they say what direction they were headed in, by any chance?"

Cubey
2008-03-15, 09:53 PM
Emerald Star closes her eyes and moves her fans away, leaving her theatrical pose.
"No, they didn't. But what they were looking for were dumped bodies, and that's not something you see in richer districts. Let's head to the poor ones, shall we?"

"Let us then! I will protect you from any danger that comes near!" Iskira takes a step towards Margot, looking confident and reassuring. "That is... if you want me to accompany you. I believe it may be safer if we come in group of two... oh! I do not wish to insult your martial prowess in any way, of course! My apologies."

joseybird
2008-03-15, 10:05 PM
Margot nods in response to Star, and at Iskira's declaration, she giggles. "I would enjoy your company! I...I do know how to fight, and I brought my weapons this time, but I am not so skilled as you, and I would feel better with you there."