PDA

View Full Version : [Weapon] I choose option d.) All of the above.

MagFlare
2007-10-23, 03:52 AM
The squire jogged breathlessly alongside his master's horse, a sack full of weapons jangling on his back. "A vampire lord, sir? Sounds like trouble."

"No kidding," said the fighter gravely.

"I'd recommend the longspear today, sir," the squire advised. "Don't want to get too close to a vampire. On account of the level drain, sir."

The fighter appeared to consider it. "But the villagers said he commanded an army of skeletal minions," he said. "Fat lot of good a longspear will do there."

"Ah," the squire said. "Then you'll be wanting the warhammer, sir. There's no better way of dealing with skeletons than bludgeoning damage, they say."

The castle loomed overhead. Predictably enough, bats were circling the belfries.

"Remember the undead bane longsword I got two towns back? It'd be a shame not to use it here," said the fighter.

"It's a tough choice," the squire agreed. "So - which one will it be, sir?"

The fighter dismounted gracelessly, tied his horse to a nearby tree, and took the proffered bag of weapons. A faraway look passed over his eyes.

"Sir?" said the squire.

"Maybe I don't need to choose," the fighter said thoughtfully. "Say, do you have any twine?"

"What do you see?" asked the fighter.

"Trouble, sir," the squire said, lowering his spyglass. "Looks like there's some activity in the ogre camp. And, uh, their leader seems to be carrying... uh..."

The fighter snatched the spyglass and looked for himself.

"A big sword," he said eventually, "with a bunch of little swords taped to it."

"Yes, sir."

The fighter sighed. "I knew I should have patented that damned thing," he muttered.

The Whole Bunch of Weapons Duct-Taped Together
Proficiency Required: Exotic
Cost: The sum of all the weapons involved
Damage: Varies (see below)
Critical: x2
Range: Varies (see below)
Weight: The sum of all the weapons involved
Type: Varies (see below)

Described by its detractors as "a terrible, but oddly compelling, idea," the whole bunch of weapons duct-taped together can't be bought in any store. Rather, each one is handcrafted by its wielder out of whatever melee weapons happen to be available... along with a length of string, bit of tape, or dab of glue. Creating a whole bunch of weapons duct-taped together (hereafter abbreviated as WBWDTT) requires no Craft (weaponsmithing) skill check; its proponents would say that it's more of an art than a science. In any case, all that is required is two or more weapons, some sort of connective material, and a full-round action.

The Basics

The base weapon - that is to say, the one whose grip the wielder will actually be holding - must be a melee weapon with which the wielder is proficient. It will also be the weapon with the longest reach, determining the reach of the WBWDTT. If all weapons have equal reach, then it will be the weapon with the highest damage (before magical enhancements are factored in). Therefore, if you're attempting to make a WBWDTT out of a longspear and a greatsword, then the longspear is the base weapon; if you're making one out of a shortspear and a greatsword, though, then the greatsword is the base weapon. All additional melee weapons added to the base weapon provide bonuses and penalties.

If an additional weapon deals 1d6 damage or less, it adds one point of damage to the base weapon. If it deals d8, 2d4, or d10 damage, it adds two points of damage to the base weapon. If it deals d12 or more damage, it adds three points to the base weapon. A greatsword with two longswords taped to it would therefore deal 2d6+4 damage. The type of damage done by the WBWDTT is a combination of all the weapons involved, so a bastard sword with a club and two daggers taped to it would deal d10+3 slashing/bludgeoning/piercing damage.

But this power comes at a price (beyond looking ridiculous). WBWDTTs aren't exactly well-balanced weapons. Each additional weapon adds a -2 penalty to the attack roll. This penalty is reduced to -1 if the weapon is light or if it's a one-handed weapon made for a race smaller than the wielder; it's increased to -3 if it's a two-handed weapon or if it's a size larger than the wielder. (Weapons two or more sizes larger than the wielder can't be used in a WBWDTT, nor can two-handed weapons that are one size larger than the wielder. I realize I'm probably breaking some Monkey Grip Munchkin's heart by saying this, but I had to put my foot down somewhere.) For example, three greatswords taped together confer a -6 penalty to attack rolls; a greatsword with a dagger and a halfling-sized longsword attached to it has only a -2 penalty to attack rolls.

Weapons may continue to be added to the WBWDTT until it either can't hit anything or the wielder can't lift it, whereupon the wielder is encouraged to sit down for a moment and reflect on what he's trying to accomplish with his life.

Magical Enhancements

While WBWDTTs can't be magically enhanced, their component weapons can be. An enhancement bonus of +1 or +2 to a weapon involved in a WBWDTT adds a +1 to the WBWDTT's damage. An enhancement bonus of +3 or +4 to a weapon involved in a WBWDTT adds a +2 to the WBWDTT's damage and reduces its to-hit penalty by one point. An almighty enhancement bonus of +5 to a weapon involved in a WBWDTT adds a +3 to the WBWDTT's damage and reduces its to-hit penalty by two points. Therefore, a +1 greatsword, a +3 greatsword, and a +5 greatsword taped together would deal damage equal to (2d6+1)+(3+2)+(3+3) = 2d6+12 damage, and have a to-hit penalty of (+1)+(-3+1)+(-3+2) = -2. A greatsword with a +5 dagger taped to it would actually have a +1 to hit and a +4 to damage, although this probably isn't the most financially sound means of obtaining this bonus.

Damage bonuses, such as those provided by flaming or frost weapons, cause the WBWDTT to deal an additional point of damage of the appropriate type, so a +1 flaming longsword and a +1 frost longsword taped together will deal d8+2 (for the additional longsword) +2 (for the enhancement bonuses) +1 (fire damage) +1 (cold damage). Similarly, bane weapons deal an additional point of damage to an appropriate target.

Any special ability which has to do with critical hits, such as the vorpal or the fill-in-the-blank-burst ability, doesn't apply to the WBWDTT. Keenness (and the Improved Critical feat, for that matter) has no effect on the WBWDTT. Special abilities dealing with alignment (such as Axiomatic, Holy, etc.) work normally insofar as bypassing damage reduction is concerned, but only deal an extra point of damage to members of the opposed alignment and only harm wielders of the opposed alignment if the aligned weapon is the base weapon in the WBWDTT. Dancing and defending weapons don't work at all in a WBWDTT due to the extra weight. All other magical special abilities - ghost touch, brilliant energy, etc. - work normally.

Special Considerations

If the base weapon is a one-handed weapon, then the WBWDTT is considered a one-handed weapon; if the base weapon is a two-handed weapon, then the WBWDTT is considered a two-handed weapon. No WBWDTT may ever be considered a light weapon, even if all its components are light weapons.

A WBWDTT can't be used to make a trip attempt, nor does it provide a bonus to disarm attempts, regardless of what weapons may be involved.

Sundering a WBWDTT is astonishingly easy. A single point of damage dealt to a WBWDTT results in the tape or string severing, the involved weapons scattering across the room, and the wielder - left holding the base weapon - looking silly. However, no damage is dealt to any of the weapons involved in the WBWDTT.

Anyone attempting to create a WBWDTT which is nothing but spiked chains attached end-to-end is immediately struck by a justice-powered lightning bolt from heaven that deals 20d6 damage.

DracoDei
2007-10-23, 06:02 AM
I am laughing so hard I am wheezing... (no I don't have any respiratory ailments)...
I was SURE within the first few lines that this was going to be a shape-shifting weapon... while much less likely to actually get used (read: most gamers would have to be rather tipsy before this could even POSSIBLY make it into a game), this is SO much more fun to read! Well done!

Drglenn
2007-10-23, 07:39 AM
Sword-chucks, yo!
I had to say it didn't I

DracoDei
2007-10-23, 07:55 AM
I suppose you did...

AmberVael
2007-10-23, 08:53 AM
:smallbiggrin:
This was a hilarious idea. I love it.
Can't you see some low wisdom character thinking just how awesome something like this would be? (Like a Fighter clone?)

I'm horribly tempted to use it...

Xefas
2007-10-23, 09:05 AM
O_O I really REALLY have to have an NPC use one of these.

Question; can a monk or swordsage use his unarmed attack as the base weapon? Say, could he duct-tape a dagger to the top of his fist? or maybe greatswords to his feet?

Magnor Criol
2007-10-23, 09:28 AM
You, good sir MagFlare, have made my morning. I haven't laughed this heartily at something in quite a while. Bravo and encore!

I particularly like the part about the justice bolt for spiked chains.

[Apologies if you aren't a sir, by the way; that's just my default.]

jindra34
2007-10-23, 09:38 AM
What would happen if someone tried to bind 10 spiked chains together in the middle?
And what would happen if someone (god forbid) used sovreign glue to make one of these?

Kyrian
2007-10-23, 09:53 AM
Hmm...I see all the possibilities now....

Skelengar
2007-10-23, 10:08 AM
I think every single one of my players would use this (except for one) and most of them would get themselves killed with it.

Same with my main NPC, but he's completely insane in every way possible, so he might just pull it off.

RTGoodman
2007-10-23, 10:20 AM
This is possibly the greatest weapon I've ever seen. And you know, several months back I remember seeing a thread on either this site or the Wizards forums talking about this kind of thing, with people basically photoshopping together the weapons pictures from the PHB. But, alas, I'm far too lazy to look for it.

Just a couple of things, though. First, you should consider a feat called "WBWDTT Mastery" or something similar that either removes the penalties or at least halves/reduces them. It'd probably be something only a Fighter would take (since the character's already spending a feat on EWP), and probably wouldn't be too overpowered.

Also, how does this work with ranged weapons? Could I duct-tape a spear to the underside of a crossbow and shoot a bolt whenever I stab something with the spear? I don't think you meant for ranged weapons to be a party of it (so people don't just strap a light hammer to their crossbow and say it does bludgeoning damage or something, so you might want to specify whether or not it works with ranged weapons.

quick_comment
2007-10-23, 10:34 AM
The mental image is hilarious, but if I'm reading this correctly, isn't it possible to achieve damage limited only by carrying capacity and wealth with no attack penalty by attaching +3 weapons? Every light 1d6 +3 weapon attached(one can probably find a candidate that doesn't weigh much) gives +3 to damage and doesn't alter the attack penalty.

Cogwheel
2007-10-23, 11:17 AM
Yes, you could, but it would be inhumanely expensive, soo...

The idea of a thri-kreen using multi-weapon fighting with this is hillarious, though.

Drglenn
2007-10-23, 12:01 PM
To seriously contribute: shouldn't there be some sort of limit on the number of weapons that can be taped together? otherwise a 18 strength character could tape 100 +3 daggers together and use them just as effectively as 1 dagger (the only drawback being hideous cost). For example if the base weapon is medium you could have a limit of 1 light weapon equivalent (light weapons count as 1, one-handed 2, 2 handed 4 (included for next bit), mithral weapons count as the next category down from their actual type) per point of strength bonus otherwise the weapon goes up to two handed and if the base weapon is medium you could have a limit of 2 light weapon equivalents per point of strength bonus otherwise the weapon is unwieldable.

Darkbane
2007-10-23, 01:23 PM
That would be reasonable, except it would cost 180,000 gp! If your fighter is that dedicated, he deserves to have some fun with his daggerball.

AmberVael
2007-10-23, 01:34 PM
*cough*
I think you mean 1,800,000 gp.
18,000 x 100 = 1,800,000.

Not to mention you forgot the cost of the base dagger.
302 x 100 = 30,200

That dagger isn't looking so good now, is it?
With that much money I'm sure I could make a much more effective weapon.

Drglenn
2007-10-23, 02:00 PM
*cough*
I think you mean 1,800,000 gp.
18,000 x 100 = 1,800,000.

Not to mention you forgot the cost of the base dagger.
302 x 100 = 30,200

That dagger isn't looking so good now, is it?
With that much money I'm sure I could make a much more effective weapon.

better than a weapon that can do 1d4+297 damage before strength bonuses etc. One handed for just one feat and no penalties? (remember you can't go above +5 enhancment bonus (+10 overall bonus) with a magic weapon)

AmberVael
2007-10-23, 02:23 PM
...yeah. I'd probably just go and make something like...
*thinks for a second*
How about 300 intelligent ioun stones of... say... Crystal Shard at will?
They have the ability to use their powers on their own...
"Fire now!"
*cues 300d6 damage*

Don't even get me STARTED on the things you could do if you used save/die spells. Seriously- if you want to find 100 +3 daggers and put them together? Go ahead. I'll spend my time making something far more effective. The above example was actually a pretty bad waste- then again, so is buying 100 +3 daggers.

F.H. Zebedee
2007-10-23, 02:37 PM
Personally, I like the idea of glueing a ton of axes together, side by side, to create a wall of chopping force. Bonus points if you somehow make them of a size category larger. THE DEATH WALL!

(BTW, GREAT homebrew. Best weapon yet, I think.)

Username
2007-10-23, 05:42 PM
That Ioun stone idea inspired me, what if a character were to spend a majority of their wealth making something along those lines? Intelligent Ioun stones with various handy abilities that could act on their own. So many possibilities! They could buff, act as artillery! The imagine of someone walking around with about 10+ Ioun stones circling them shouting "Fire! Volley 1!" and having magic missiles burst out of all their Ioun stones and hit something is hilarious.

StickMan
2007-10-23, 05:50 PM
Some things in life just make you smile:smallsmile: .

MagFlare
2007-10-23, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all the positive comments, everyone. It looks as though my suspicions were correct: when Ripley duct-taped a pulse rifle and a flamethrower together in Aliens, it touched upon a sort of instinctual desire inherent in our species to improve things by duct-taping other things to them.

Now, specific responses:

Question; can a monk or swordsage use his unarmed attack as the base weapon? Say, could he duct-tape a dagger to the top of his fist? or maybe greatswords to his feet?

Hadn't considered it. It's a good idea - that is to say, it's a very silly idea - but I think it's far enough removed from the WBWDTT to require a separate writeup.

[Apologies if you aren't a sir, by the way; that's just my default.]

You've got the gender correct, although it's a bit of a stretch to call me a "sir"...

What would happen if someone tried to bind 10 spiked chains together in the middle?

It'd deal 2d4+18 damage, have an attack roll penalty of -18, be able to hit both adjacent enemies and enemies standing 10 feet away, and look a lot like a spiky metal octopus.

And what would happen if someone (god forbid) used sovreign glue to make one of these?

They'd probably regret wasting the glue. It'd make the weapon impossible to sunder, though.

And you know, several months back I remember seeing a thread on either this site or the Wizards forums talking about this kind of thing, with people basically photoshopping together the weapons pictures from the PHB. But, alas, I'm far too lazy to look for it.

Really? Huh. I shouldn't be surprised, I guess; again, I'm pretty sure that "duct-taping weapons together = awe-freakin'-some" is hardwired into one of the more primitive parts of our brains.

Just a couple of things, though. First, you should consider a feat called "WBWDTT Mastery" or something similar that either removes the penalties or at least halves/reduces them. It'd probably be something only a Fighter would take (since the character's already spending a feat on EWP), and probably wouldn't be too overpowered.

I think the possibility for abuse is too high to justify reducing the penalty. 'Sides, the penalty is part of what makes the weapon so charming, in my estimation.

Also, how does this work with ranged weapons? Could I duct-tape a spear to the underside of a crossbow and shoot a bolt whenever I stab something with the spear? I don't think you meant for ranged weapons to be a party of it (so people don't just strap a light hammer to their crossbow and say it does bludgeoning damage or something, so you might want to specify whether or not it works with ranged weapons.

Fixed. I'd mentioned that it only applies to melee weapons in the fluff section, but somehow forgot working that into the section that describes the actual mechanics.

The mental image is hilarious, but if I'm reading this correctly, isn't it possible to achieve damage limited only by carrying capacity and wealth with no attack penalty by attaching +3 weapons? Every light 1d6 +3 weapon attached(one can probably find a candidate that doesn't weigh much) gives +3 to damage and doesn't alter the attack penalty.

To seriously contribute: shouldn't there be some sort of limit on the number of weapons that can be taped together? otherwise a 18 strength character could tape 100 +3 daggers together and use them just as effectively as 1 dagger (the only drawback being hideous cost).

True, but this is one of those situations where you don't get what you pay for. There are much less costly ways of boosting your damage output; if you've got nearly two million gold pieces to blow on +3 daggers, then you could easily afford an army of mercenaries... and a weapon with a decent attack bonus.

For example if the base weapon is medium you could have a limit of 1 light weapon equivalent (light weapons count as 1, one-handed 2, 2 handed 4 (included for next bit), mithral weapons count as the next category down from their actual type) per point of strength bonus otherwise the weapon goes up to two handed and if the base weapon is medium you could have a limit of 2 light weapon equivalents per point of strength bonus otherwise the weapon is unwieldable.

I'd considered something along those lines, but the rules were already getting unwieldy (like the weapon itself - ho ho) and I think there's a significant enough built-in limitation anyway.

ZebulonCrispi
2007-10-23, 06:35 PM
What, exactly, happens when you make a WBWDTT out of smaller WBWDTTs?

brian c
2007-10-23, 07:31 PM
Well, if you're a Half-Ogre you could tie a bunch of Large-sized longswords, maces and hammers and such together. With increased carrying capacity for size and high Str, and making a weapon that does all types of damage, it could be actually useful. Not to mention that instead of everything being +3, just be TN alignment and get one weapon of every different alignment, energy type and bane, just to be on the safe side. Taping a +1 Undead-bane dagger to your +3 sword is more cost-effective than having a +3 Undead-bane sword (though I'm just assuming, if anyone checks this and I'm wrong let me know)

Magnor Criol
2007-10-23, 07:48 PM

That probably incurs the Justice Bolt of Smite-y Justice again.

Mewtarthio
2007-10-23, 08:16 PM

"I pull out a ball of longswords and a ball of warhammers, then tape them to opposite ends of the spiked chain..."

ZebulonCrispi
2007-10-23, 10:49 PM
The best way to avoid killer cheese would be to state that the to-hit penalty from attatching a weapon can never be reduced to zero by magic enhancements.

Magnor Criol
2007-10-23, 11:03 PM
Or perhaps - though this could maybe unbalance it too much and/or negate the enhancements too much - it could be worded as "A WBWDTT can never have an attack penalty lower than the number of weapons that make it up." Thus, a greatsword and two daggers could never have less than a -3 penalty, regardless of the enhancements on the component weapons (the enhancements would still grant any other benefits as normal.)

"I pull out a ball of longswords and a ball of warhammers, then tape them to opposite ends of the spiked chain..."

You take 20d6 points of damage per WBWDTT. Enjoy your day, sir.

Anxe
2007-10-23, 11:08 PM
I'd add something that says the total weight of the WBWDTT cannot exceed your light load.

Paragon Badger
2007-10-23, 11:57 PM
I'd add something that says the total weight of the WBWDTT cannot exceed your light load.

Yes, yes, otherwise this weapon would become one and the same with another favorite among fighters...

The weapon I can barely lift off of the ground, and would do insane damage if I could hit anything but ankles, which does not resemble anime fandom at all!!1

Also known as the WICBLOTG&WDIDIICHABAWDNRAFAA!!1.

SurlySeraph
2007-10-24, 12:03 AM
This is the version of swordchucks I most like.

{table=head]Exotic Weapon|
Cost|Dmg (S)|Dmg(M)|Critical|Range|Weight|Type
Sword-chucks|
100 gp|
1d6/ad6|
1d8/1d8|
19-20/x2|
-|
8lbs|
Slashing
[/table]

Sword-chucks are double weapons. With a sword-chuck, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an enemy (including the roll to avoid being disarmed if such an attempt fails).
A minimum of Dex 13 is required to be proficient with this weapon.
If you have the appropriate feat to use this weapon, everytime you roll a natural 1, roll again against your own AC, including all normal modifiers to your attack roll. If you succeed, you hit yourself, dealing the normal attack from that blade.
If you don't have the appropriate feat to use this weapon, everytime you attack, even if you hit your opponent, you roll against your own AC, including all normal modifiers to your attack roll. If you succeed, you hit yourself, dealing the normal attack from that blade. In this case, if you roll a natural 19 or 20, you roll again to confirm a critical hit. For this purpose only, Improved Critical doesn't need to be counted (but Keen enchantments do).

See, it's a double weapon, so you get two attacks for only a single weapon duct-taped on. And you can use it either as a one-handed weapon or as two dual-wielded weapons.

So what I'm thinking is a WBWDTT made out of dozens of spiked chains (as the base, for reach), swordchucks and dire flails. Attach maybe 12 of each together - enough that no one can tell whether you're rolling attack and damage right. Maybe attach a few Fullblades to it as well, just in case all the chains and random sharp bits aren't unwieldy enough already. And make it an artifact WBWDTT, made with sovereign glue so it isn't sunderable. Call it the Spiky Whippy Thingy of Unpredictable Doom. Have a major sect of orcs worship it. If you succeed on your attack roll, your target is reduced to battered shreds. If you fail, you'll probably lose at least one of your arms.

And then, make it sentient. And very, very Chaotic Evil. :smallamused:

Doresain
2007-10-24, 02:36 PM
This is the version of swordchucks I most like.

See, it's a double weapon, so you get two attacks for only a single weapon duct-taped on. And you can use it either as a one-handed weapon or as two dual-wielded weapons.

So what I'm thinking is a WBWDTT made out of dozens of spiked chains (as the base, for reach), swordchucks and dire flails. Attach maybe 12 of each together - enough that no one can tell whether you're rolling attack and damage right. Maybe attach a few Fullblades to it as well, just in case all the chains and random sharp bits aren't unwieldy enough already. And make it an artifact WBWDTT, made with sovereign glue so it isn't sunderable. Call it the Spiky Whippy Thingy of Unpredictable Doom. Have a major sect of orcs worship it. If you succeed on your attack roll, your target is reduced to battered shreds. If you fail, you'll probably lose at least one of your arms.

And then, make it sentient. And very, very Chaotic Evil. :smallamused:

or you can all stop trying to make things that force gary gygax to cry

Mewtarthio
2007-10-24, 04:36 PM

Where's the fun in that?

DracoDei
2007-10-24, 04:40 PM
Isn't that kinda the whole point of this thread?

Magnor Criol
2007-10-24, 07:42 PM
I bet Gygax would laugh at this.

He does have a sense of humor, you know.

Darkantra
2007-10-25, 01:24 AM
Jin-Soon sat opposite of the Master, desperately trying to keep his inner core calm and perfect in front of his teacher. They both sat in silence and drank their tea, brewed from the scraggly plants that grew on the mountaintop. When the master finished his tea he carefully put the cup down and rose with a bow to the everpresent gods.

"Come young Jin-Soon. It is time."

Unexpected panic burst from his inner thoughts but he forced it down and finished his own tea carefully and too bowed to the gods. Rising, he fell into step behind the Master as they traversed through the cold passages.

Jin-Soon asked his first question.

"Master, why must we keep the artifact hidden away?"

"Not all men are possessed of wisdom and foresight. Some would see the artifact as a weapon, not as a key to understanding the inner workings of the mind."

The guards, learned old ones whose fists were as steel, bowed to the Master and opened the first of the three Doors of Wisdom.

Jin-Soon asked his second question.

"Master, why are there three doors barring the way to the holy artifact?"

"Each door denotes the wisdom of the man, a simple warrior, who made the artifact."

The third door opened with a great rumble and Jin-Soon found himself in a great chamber, lit by torches that would never expire and reliefs of people who had tried, and failed, to use the artifact. In the centre of the room a raised dias and a great curtain shrouded the artifact from view. Jin-Soon stood before the dias, breath caught in his throat as the Master pulled the curtain away.

Jin-Soon asked his third question.

"Master... why?!"

The Master nodded and held out the holy Duct Tape.

"Now you are ready."

The Ducted Fists are from a monastery that has hidden a Spiky Whippy Thingy of Unpredictable Doom from the world for almost a century. The monks there meditate on why a simple fighter (with a Wis score of 3) would create such an obviously flawed thing. They are convinced that understanding the motives behind that strane man will lead to spiritual enlightenment.

At first level they gain WBWDTT as their bonus feat in place of Stunning Blow or Improved Grapple. For the purposes of using the feat they are able to use any simple or martial weapon to make a WBWDTT with their fists and feet but cannot wield them normally without taking the regular penalty for non-proficiency. The WBWDTT does not interfere with any of their monk class abilities and counts as being an unarmed strike for all purposes.

As soon as I thought of it I had to do it.

†Seer†
2007-10-25, 01:51 AM
*almost falls out of his chair laughing* This is brilliant.

elliott20
2007-10-31, 09:51 AM
this... this is the most beautiful idea ever.

I MUST find a way to work this into the next game session.

Asheram
2010-01-12, 04:36 AM
This is great. :D Wonderful Idea.

But frankly, I'm more interested in that squire in the story. I'd love to have a little caddie jog behind the horse with a bunch of different weapons strapped to his back. :P

Rithaniel
2010-01-12, 05:39 AM
ohmygawdohmygawdohmygawdohmygawd
IloveyouIloveyouIloveyouIloveyou

I cannot help myself, I can't stop laughing, I must use this somehow:

Ball and Chain
Proficiency Required: Exotic Two-Handed Melee
Cost: 37 gp.
Damage: 2d4+2
Critical: x2
Range: --
Weight: 18 lb.
Type: Bludgeoning/Peircing

A ball and chain is a WBWDTT that consists of a spiked chain and a heavy mace welded together, and is famous for keeping criminals too stupid to use it as a weapon rooted in place.

A ball and chain has reach, so you can strike opponents 10 feet away with it. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe.

You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a ball and chain sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you.

A person weilding a ball and chain takes a -2 penalty on their attack roll.

paddyfool
2010-01-12, 09:32 AM
This is clearly suboptimal anyway, but would you allow a character to get Weapon Focus (WBWDTT), Weapon Spec (WBWDTT), Improved Crit (WBWDTT) etc?

EDIT: Oh, and holy thread necro, batman!

Rithaniel
2010-01-12, 01:49 PM
This is clearly suboptimal anyway, but would you allow a character to get Weapon Focus (WBWDTT), Weapon Spec (WBWDTT), Improved Crit (WBWDTT) etc?

EDIT: Oh, and holy thread necro, batman!

Oh shoot, this is from 3 years ago?! I didn't even notice that.

Voidhawk
2010-01-12, 02:54 PM
It's... so... Beautiful.... :thog:

Asheram
2010-01-12, 03:49 PM
Good lords! I had no Idea... Bloody friends, looking through the archives and sending links.

Oh, great and benevolent mods, please don't ban me.

Sintanan
2010-01-12, 04:13 PM
We all should bow before Asheram's necromantic powers. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Anywho... Our group allows these when we run a humorous game, but instead of calling them WBWDTTs, we call them widgits.
Weapon
Improved through
Duct-taping or
Gluing
Items
Together.

We also changed things around where your widgit's damage is the highest value from among the weapons in the widgit, the rest increase damage normally.

I think the best widgit was the goliath's large longspear sovereign glued to a medium greatsword.
So, it was a large greatsword with reach, basically. :smallwink: