PDA

View Full Version : They Called Me Mad... [Base Class]

BRC
2007-10-23, 08:49 PM
((Sorry for the disorginizedness, I'll try to clean it up at some point))

"And then, if we increase the output by fifty percent the blade can reach"
"err, thats all very nice and all, but why don't you just get a magic sword like normal people."
"....whats the fun in that?"
Mad Scientist
Hit Die d6.
Level|BaseAttack Bonus|FortSave|RefSave|WillSave|Special|

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+1|
+1 device proficiency, Free craft or knowledge Skill Focus, Brain over Brawn|
2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3| |
3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+1 device proficiency|
4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4| |
5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Free Craft of Knowledge Skill Focus, Can create trivial creatures.|
6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|+1 device proficiency|
7th|
+5|
+2|+2|+5| |
8th|+6/+1|+2|+2|+6| |
9th|+6/+1|+3|+3|+6|+1 Device Proficiency|
10th|+7/+2|+3|+3|+7|Free Craft or Knowledge Skill Focus|
11th|+8/+3|+3|+3|+7| |
12th|+9/+4|+4|+4 |+8|+1 device proficiency|
13th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8| |
14th|+10/+5|+4|+4|+9| |
15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+5|+9|+1 device proficiency Free Craft of Knowledge Skill Focus|
16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10| |
17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10| |
18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+6|+11|+1 device proficiency|
19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+6|+11| |
20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|+1 device proficiency, Free Craft of Knowledge Skill Focus|
Skill Points at 1st Level
(8 + Int modifier) ×4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level
8+ Int modifier.
Alignment: Any Non-Lawful
Class Skills: Concentration(Con), Craft (int), Knowledge (int), Disable Device (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Appraise (int), Heal (Wis), Gather Information (Cha),Decipher Script (Int), Class only skill Craft (creature)
Mad Scientists are proficient with Light armor and simple weapons.

Abilities
Brain over Brawn The Mad Scientist can use their brilliant intellect to predict the movements of enemies, aiding them in both defending and attacking. A Mad Scientist uses their Int modifier instead of their Dexterity modifier for AC, if there is any point the Mad Scientist would be denied their Dex bonus to AC, their Int bonus is denied in the same way. The Mad Scientist uses their Int modifier instead of their strength modifier for attack rolls provided they can clearly see their opponent.
More Then One Way to Skin a Cat: Mad Scientists may use Craft (Alchemy) without being a spell caster. They do not require Feat (Craft magic arms and armor) to simulate the effects of magical effects when crafting devices. They May Craft devices that simulate the effects of certain wonderous items without the feat Craft Wonderous Item, and they may craft Wand-Rays (See Description in devices section) without the feat Craft-Wands)

Disclamer thingy: This class is a class I’m making to play personally, so before you start crying foul against it remember that I’m only considering it in the context of my group with me playing it. My DM is easy going and awesome when it comes to the players making crazy schemes, He doesn’t mind fudging the rules, or in some cases ignoring them entirely, for the purpose of making the game more fun, if he stops us from doing something, he has a reason besides “The rules don’t mention it”. As for myself, I’m no Min-Maxer, I’m much more likely to do something that I think is a cool idea rather then because it gets me bigger numbers on my character sheet. So I want you to judge this class for balance, but assuming a minimal amount of shenanigans on the player’s part and a hefty dose of common sense on the DM’s part. Also, I’m considering the rules for the class “Rules Light”, which means that anything I do in terms of devices and creatures I need to run past my DM first, who can say no for any reason, and I can’t claim that since these rules that I created allow it he has to OK it. So mostly just judge it in terms of what you see here, and don’t say “it’s pretty much class X” or “That makes no sense” because I don’t care, I want to know if it is decently balanced, I don’t want it to be useless dead weight to the party, but I also don’t want to be dominating the scene. That said if you like it and think it would work with your group feel free to use it or a modified version of it.
Concept: As the name implies, this class is all about being a Mad Scientist of the cheesiest variety, big hulking monsters and bizarre impractical gadgets, assistants named Igor, and one hell of a cackle. The class right now has two main concepts, creatures and Devices.
Devices
A Device is any gizmo that the Mad Scientist creates, whether its rocket boots, A flaming chainsaw, whatever.
Any Device, with very few exceptions will be treated as Exotic for the purpose of proficiency, Every 3 levels the mad scientist receives an additional device proficiency, which they can use to become proficient in a device they created. Remember, each device counts as an exotic weapon or piece of armor, so if a Mad Scientist builds a two-handed chainsaw, that’s an exotic weapon, if he later builds another two-handed chainsaw, but this time he’s built it so the blade is electrified, he can still use the previous proficiency to wield it. If a Mad Scientist already has a proficiency in one of his devices, he can spend an additional device proficiency to gain Weapon Focus with that device.
Devices can be used by other classes provided they spend a feat to gain proficiency with them.
The cost and stats of a device will be based off an existing item, with the craft skill substituted. However the craft DC will always be 20 to account for the complexity of most devices. For example, that two-handed chainsaw from earlier. Well lets say were going to base the stats off of a Masterwork Greataxe. So its stats would be
2-handed Chainsaw 1d10+1 1d12+1 ×3 — 12 lb. Slashing
Now it’s a very complex Item were crafting, so lets give it a base DC of 20 with an addition DC 20 check to make it masterwork, and the material cost would be the same as if one was creating a masterwork Greataxe. In order to give it an effect equal to a magical item, a third DC 20 Check must be made, with the appropriate cost made, however, appropriate magical effects can be added at any point with another Craft (Mechanical) check. The cost can be reduced if the Mad Scientist has received treasure that can be used to simulate magical effects, for example, if a Mad Scientist has found a gem originating in the Elemental Plane of Fire, he can add the flaming effect to a device for free if he makes the Craft check. Any Magical effect is allowed only under GM discretion (Shocking burst ? okay, Dancing? Nope). Use their Mad Scientist level in place of Caster level to determine if they can add the magical effect.
Unless specifically designated as such, devices do not count as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage resistance and being suppressed or detected.

The same system can be used to simulate the effects of certain wonderous items. For Example, Universal Solvent or Ungulate of Timlessness could be created with Craft: Alchemy, or Goggles of Minute Seeing could be explained as a type of very well made magnifying glass.
Rays
A Ray is a special type of device. Rays count as Devices in terms of proficiencies, however if you are proficient with one ray built by a mad scientist, you become proficient with all rays built by the same mad scientist. A newly built ray has 50 charges, recharging a ray costs 1% of the price to craft the ray per charge.
All Ray's have a Power Level, a Mad Scientist cannot build a ray of effective power level greater than their Mad Scientist Level, but they can upgrade a ray to their current Mad Scientist level by making a second craft check and paying the difference between the cost to create the ray at the upgraded level and the cost to create the ray at it's current level.
Using a ray requires a ranged touch attack and comes in various forms, a few examples can be seen below.
Disintegration Ray
This ray cannot be built by a Mad Scientist under 6th level.
Any creature struck by the ray takes 2d6 points of damage per power level(to a maximum of 40d6). Any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this ray is entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust. A disintegrated creature’s equipment is unaffected. When used against an object, the ray simply disintegrates as much as one 10-foot cube of nonliving matter.A creature or object that makes a successful Fortitude save is partially affected, taking only 5d6 points of damage. If this damage reduces the creature or object to 0 or fewer hit points, it is entirely disintegrated.
Cost: 5000 gp to create at Power Level 6, 1000gp for each additional effective power level.
Elemental Ray
An Elemental Ray Fires a damaging ray that deals Either Force, Fire, Cold, Light, Electricity, or Sonic type damage. The cost to create an Elemental Ray is 700g base price plus 500 for each additional effective power level. An Elemental Ray deals 1d6 damage for each power level.
Ray Features and Flaws
These Features can be added to any ray and either decrease or increase the effective power level of the ray. a Ray's effective power level cannot be decreased below 1.
Features
Accurate: +1 effective Power Level, The ray is well designed and accurate, providing a +2 bonus on Ranged touch attacks made with it.
Double Shot: +2 effective power level, the ray can be fired twice in the same turn at a -3 penalty for the second shot.
Cone-Fire:+7 effective power level, the ray fires in a 15 foot cone, all creatures within it can make a DC 15 reflex save for half.
Quick-shot: +1 Effective power level, firing the ray does not provoke an attack of opprotunity
Flaws
Inaccurate: -1 effective power level, the ray provides a -2 penalty on Ranged Touch Attacks made with it.
Long Cooldown: -2 effective power level: The ray can only be fired once every three rounds. This can be applied twice to one ray.
Unpredictable Cooldown: -2 effective power level: the ray can only be fired every 1d4 rounds. This can be applied twice to one ray.
High Energy Consumption: -2 effective power level, The Ray consumes 2 charges per shot. This can be applied twice to one ray.
Unpredictable Energy Consumption: -2 effective power level, The Ray consumes 1d4 charges per shot. This can be applied twice to one ray.
Bulky: -1 effective power level, The ray is large and bulky, requiring two hands to use.
Unstable: -3 effective power level, when fired, roll 1d20, if the result is one the ray explodes, dealing 1d6 damage for each remaining charge/2 to it's weilder and anything in an ajdacent square, characters in adjacent squares can make a DC 17 ref save for half.
Highly Unstable: -5 effective power level, when fired, roll 1d10, if the result is one the ray explodes, dealing 1d6 damage for each remaining charge/2 to it's weilder and anything in all ajdacent squares, characters in adjacent squares can make a DC 17 ref save for half.

Creatures (or creations, I use them interchangeably and am too lazy to fix it)

A creature is something a Mad scientist creates from the choice bits of anything appropriate. Parts used for a creature must:
A: Be from a monster of the same size as the rest of the parts used for the creature.
B: Be from a monster with discernable anatomy.
C: Be in a state such that a Raise Dead Spell would work on it.
A Mad Scientist cannot be accompanied by creatures of a total CR greater her Mad Scientist Level -2. Unless a separate DC 15 Craft (Creature) check is made the INT of the creature drops by 2 from whatever brain is being used, if a DC 10 check is made, the INT only drops by 1. A mad scientist can lower the Int of a brain as much as they want with no check, but cannot raise it further then the original INT of the brains original owner.
A creature with an Int of 1-2 has an Animal intelligence and can be trained as such.
A creature with an INT of 3-5 is Semi-Sentient, it can understand and perform simple commands and if it has vocal chords can speak and understand basic words in one language. It must be trained to obey it’s master within a month of it’s creation, training takes 1 week per point of Intelligence above 2.
A creature with an Int above 5 is fully sentient and can be treated as such for all purposes, it will have some loyalty towards it’s creator but must be controlled with the same methods one would use to control any other sentient being (provide motivation, brainwashing ect).
If a mad scientist wishes to purchase parts for a creature, DM’s discretion on the price.
If a Mad Scientist starts with a creature, multiply the price by 3 as if it was a item.
Creating a Creature
Creating a creature takes 1 week study for every different part used unless the mad scientist has created a creature using that same part before, for example, a creature with an ogre body but Dire ape claws and an Owlbear’s head would take 3 weeks study, since the Dire Apes claws are the same type of part.
The check to create a creature is a Craft (Creature) check with DC 15+2x( Size categories below that of the mad scientist creating it)-2x(Size categories above that of the mad scientist creating it.), A check must be made for each part added, as well as a general check.
For my example creature Mongo(Ogre body, Ogre Brain, 2 dire ape claws, Owlbear head) being created by a medium-sized mad scientist there would require the following checks.
DC 13 check for right claw
DC 13 check for left claw
DC 13 check to transfer brain to owl bear head
DC 13 check for head.
General DC 13 Check
If a check is failed by a margin of 3 or less, the part can still be recovered.
(need help on creation time)
Required Materials: The parts used, a fully equipped lab, an appropriate dose of Elixir of Artificial Life (See Below under Useful Items)
A Creation uses the Hit die of whatever creature provided it’s torso and counts as an Abberation, A creation is proficient with it’s natural weapons, if it is semi sentient it can be trained to wield certain weapons, if it is fully intelligent it is proficient as it’s class.
A creation can be modified with the appropriate study time and check for the part involved, provided the modification does not require the removal of a non-vital part, in which case the creation must be re-awakened.
Awakening requires a jolt of energy, the most convenient being a properly directed bolt of lightning(conveniently gathered via lightning rod and a good cackle)
A newly awakened creature will be gain some loyalty towards the first living thing it see’s, which is usually it’s creator. It will not remember anything from its previous life, but if it is being re-awakened it will remember. It may show characteristics of the previous owner of its brain.
Trivial Creatures
At 5th level a Mad Scientist has learned to create creatures that are tame enough to be easily controlled by others, and can serve the purpose of any domesticated animals (like a horse, ox, cat, ect). These creatures are called Trivial creatures and cannot be designed for the primary purpose of combat, but can be used as a mount, to pull a cart, or just as a pet (who doesn’t want an adorable lizard/cat/owl), or maybe it’s a multi-brained immobile monstrosity that sits in a library all day reading 5 books at once with five pairs of eyes and is used for its knowledge skills, so long as it’s not used for combat it counts as a trivial creature, they are simply a twist on something like a mount (the knowledge skill database brain thingy is kind of on the grey line of allowable for this). Trivial creatures do not count towrds the total CR of creatures the Mad Scientist can have accompanying them. Also, any time a Mad Scientist could have an NPC accompanng them for an extended period of time, like a hireling or cohort, then that hireling could be replaced by a Creation if the situation allows. The same costs must be applied as if the Hireling or Cohort was not a creation.
Ways to upgrade creatures without giving them new parts.
Standard Creature Upgrades: these are upgrades that a Mad Scientist can do to their creatures without harvesting more parts.
Hit Dice (+1 CR), 500g the Mad Scientist can provide the creature with1 CR worth of additional hit dice, including the bonuses involved.
Class Levels (+1 CR) if the creature is sufficiently intelligent, the Mad Scientist can have it trained in a class, this can be done in multiple ways, one of which is to arrange for the creature to be instructed by a willing NPC. but the easiest is to have a member of the party instruct it over a period of time, if the creature already has class levels it gains experience from each encounter it takes part in equal to 3/4ths the experience gained by the Mad Scientist, if it has enough experience to level up it does not do so until the Mad Scientist decides to allow it to, causing its CR to increase again. Creatures cannot be created with class levels with few exceptions (such as having the brain of a wizard and succeeding on a check to preserve the knowledge retained by the previous owner, which may cause complications when they wake up)
NPC class levels (+ 1/2CR) As Class Levels, except for NPC classes.
Versatile System, 200g The creature’s digestive system is modified to be able to process more foods, it becomes an omnivore and is capable of eating almost anything.
Efficient System: 500g, the creature’s digestive system is modified so as to be more efficient, the creature consumes food as if it was one size category smaller.
Acid blood:300g, Whenever this creature takes slashing or pricing damage, the attacker takes either 1d8 points of acid damage (for slashing damage) for attacker or 1d4 for weapon and wielder (for pricing damage). when a acid blood creature is bitten or has blood drain (damage for both) the offender takes 1d12 points of acid damage. In addition the creature gains Acid Resistance 10, becomes immune to disease and takes a -4 con penalty
Weapon/armor/shield proficiency,(CR+1/4th) an appropriately shaped creature can gain a weapon or armor proficiency.
Feat or special, (DM’s discretion), the creature gains a feat or special attack it meets the prerequisites for, this can include special attacks gained from parts (such as a poison gland adding poison, a creature with a claw may gain improved grab, a creature with the right general shape may gain pounce, trample or powerful charge.) If a Special ability is gained from a part that is later removed, it loses the ability and its CR lowers appropriately.

Tips for DM’s And Players
Though I am intending to use this personally, some people may want to use this class themselves, so I’m going to give some advice.
For DM’s: only allow a player to use a Mad Scientist class if you are flexible and willing to fudge rules. If you go strictly the sourcebook, then don’t allow it. If you do allow it, don’t be afraid to put your foot down for any reason, if the player demands an in-character explanation, say that it just didn’t work (remember, mad scientists by the fluff are mostly making it up as they go along, so sometimes things just won’t work.)
Standard loot won’t work as well for a Mad Scientist, since they make most of their own gear, instead give them interesting things they can incorporate into inventions, or parts of creatures that they can use in their own creations. I wouldn’t do this too much if I was DMing, but if they harvest a nifty part from one of your encounters, a part you don’t want them to have on their creations, just say that in the process of the monster being slashed, stabbed, burnt, crushed ect said part was damaged too much to be used, or that it’s just incompatible with the creation don’t be afraid to use cheese. That said, bend a little, allow your player to get away with some things for the purpose of making the game more fun.
If your player gets a lab assistant, then practice your lisp, especially the phrase “Marther, your experiment ith on the thlab and the thunderthtorm is going throng.”
For Players
Play a Mad Scientist only if your interested in the fluff, I didn’t design this class to be a good min-maxer class, if your main goal is the biggest numbers on your character sheet I don’t recommend this. However, if you enjoy the mental image of your gnome charging into battle with an electrified drill-spear and a sonic gun, riding on the back of a ox with the head of a basilisk and a giant scorpions tail, I recommend this class.
That said, don’t be disappointed if the DM nixes an idea of yours, and be creative, take the perfectly innocent yet useful items in the sourcebooks, throw in a few gizmo’s and twist them to your own ends, an immovable rod make great recoil compensation if your DM lets you get away with that steam powered tripod mounted repeating crossbow.
Oh yeah, and work on your cackle, your going to need it.

Useful Items that I created for this class (that can be used by other classes)

Elixir of artificial life: 50gp per dose to craft, the table below show’s the number of doses required, DC15 Craft Alchemy check, it doesn’t matter how much they are making provided they have sufficient materials and equipment (A standard alchemy kit couldn’t make more then 4 doses in one go).

Category Doses Required
Fine 1
Diminutive 1
Tiny 1
Small 2
Medium 3
Large 4
Huge 5
Gargantuan 7
Colossal 10
Lab Equipment
1000g for a standard creation lab which consists of a slab, a lightning rod, a table, shelves, and a jar with a brain in it (said brain cannot be used), jars, burners and anything else you need to build a creation. You must secure the location for the lab yourself, the lab can be upgraded to an artesian lab for 500 gold. The lab shares many components of an Alchemy lab and reduces the cost of an Alchemy lab by 200g if you are combining the two.

Library: A library can be stocked with books on a subject, and can provide a +X circumstance bonus for knowledge skill checks depending on how many levels the library has on that subject, the cost is 50g per level per subject.
Crown of Second Self
This crown is made of a silvery metal with a mirrored gem set in the middle. The Crown must be attuned to an individual and a location with clear boundaries, the crown cannot be bound to a location unless the user considers it there possession (Such as if they owned a house, but you could not bind it to an entire city. However you could bind it to a cave if you considered yourself it’s owner, even if you were not legally recognized as such). If the individual puts on the crown and mentally activates their conscious will transfer to an apparition that appears in the location. The apparition appears as a ghostly version of the user. The apparition is fully physical and can manipulate objects, It possesses the mental attributes and skills of the user, but has Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of 5. The Apparition cannot leave the location it is bound to, has an AC of 0, and if it or the users physical body take any damage the user is shunted back to their physical body and is disoriented for 3 rounds, the Apparition cannot make any attack rolls or reflex saves, and is immune to anything that would require a fortitude save. While the crown is in use, the user is still somewhat aware of their physical body, they can recognize loud noises, intense temperatures, some physical contact or their own name, the body is capable of following somebody, avoiding obvious obstacles (walls, giant pits, other people ect), and is generally capable of traveling without being too much of a dead weight. However the body cannot make any checks or saves, and is always considered flat-footed and unaware. At any point the user may return to their body, causing the apparition to vanish. (Need help with cost, CL to create ect)
(I designed this to help combat the problem of how a Mad Scientist could have time to build anything while adventuring, but there could be other uses for it.)
Shelly’s Sinister Laboratory
This object appears as a small snow globe containing a stone tower with a peaked and tiled roof. If one uses the object it creates a shimmering gate similar to the gate created by Mage’s Magnificent Mansion. However it leads instead to the inside of a stone tower, the windows cannot be opened or broken by any means, but show a barren mountainous region in a perpetual thunderstorm. The Tower contains 3 stories and a basement, each story is approximately 50 Feet In diameter, The first story contains empty shelves, barrels, and one treasure chest with an Arcane Lock on it. The second story contains a workshop with artisan’s tools, a forge, four tables, a weapons rack and four chairs. The third story contains a Laboratory that can be used as both an Alchemists Lab and a Creation Lab. The Basement is 100 feet across and contains 20 Holding pens in the outside wall, each is a 15x15 foot square and has an Iron portcullis with a good quality lock, at the back of one of the pens is a secret door the leads to a 5x5 vault. Anything placed in a holding pen does not need to eat or drink
The Laboratory Also contains a hunchbacked, lisping servant named Igor who obeys the owner of the Item and who does not need to eat, drink or sleep and has the following Stats
Igor,
Medium Humanoid
Expert 4
Con Str Dex Int Wis Cha
10 10 10 15 14 7
Igor gains 10 in the first 10 skills required by tasks you order him to do. He will also make sure the laboratory is clean and neat.
The Laboratory operates identically to the material plane except that time passes half as quickly, two hours in the Laboratory are equal to one hour outside. Things can be brought into the Laboratory, but anything that was not brought in from the outside cannot leave, and will reappear in it’s original position if you attempt to take it out, things left in the Laboratory will still be there when it is entered again. The Laboratory can be reached with a Plane Shift spell if the caster has been inside it before. Once used the Laboratory cannot be moved until the owner exits and closes it.
(Need help with cost and creation things)
Creations as PC's

With a death-roar the dragon fell as the final arrow pierced it’s eyes. Talnya Rushed towards the smoldering body of the paladin.
“BROL!” the elf shouted, but a firm hand grasped her shoulder, and she turned to look into the steely grey eyes of Alan, the party cleric.
“It’s no good, he can’t here you, and with the corpse in that state my magic can’t bring him back, and we don’t exactly have the money for the heftier spells. He’s lost”
“Um” came a small voice near the ground as a frazzled gnome in a studded-leather labcoat examined the body, a steam-powered spear on his back. “Not quite, he’s brains intact, I can rebuild him, stronger, faster, better!”
“You can?”
“Sure, I have the technology.”
If a player expresses a desire to play as a Mad Scientists creation let them, whether they start the campaign as a Creation, or convert an existing character use the same mechanics. Start with a creation, you can charge the mad scientist for it, or make them roll to build it, or perhaps not, but use it’s CR as an LA. This creation does not count towards the CR limit for the Mad Scientists creations, and is fully intelligent. When leveling up, the player may chose to either take another class level, or to allow the mad scientist to modify them with parts that would equal a CR1 increase, which acts as a retroactive LA. If you want to convert an old character to a creation (like in the system above), subtract class levels equal to the CR of the unmodified body the characters brain is being put into. For the purpose of converting old characters you may call the loss of levels a result of complications in the brain transfer. When a PC is being converted into a creation you may either re-roll the physical scores, or just use the characters old physical scores with the appropriate modifiers for the new body applied.
Mad Scientist Feats

Metal and FleshPrerequisites, 5 levels of mad scientist: the mad scientist learns how to graft non-biological parts onto a creature, the mad scientist may graft any Melee weapon onto a creatures limb(DM’s discretion as always), the weapon is treated as a Natural weapon unless it is a reach weapon, in which case the creature does not gain an automatic proficiency with it. If the creature could not wield the weapon one-handed they suffer the associated penalties, other upgrades are due to DM discretion, CR will increase as normal.
Clockwork and Flesh, 10 levels of Mad Scientist, Metal and Flesh: The mad scientist goes beyond simply grafting things onto a creature, and learns to incorporate them, the Mad Scientist may now replace parts with Devices which can be made with a Craft (Mechanical) check.
User-friendly, requires 10 levels in Mad Scientist: The Mad Scientist realizes that not everybody understands how their machines work, and can make an additional Craft (mechanical) check while building the device to make it a simple or martial weapon instead of an exotic.
Quick Study, int of 18: Time spent studying new parts for creations are reduced by half.

if you have any ideas for abilities, or questions, or general comments I would love to hear them.

Dullyanna
2007-10-23, 08:55 PM
Flaming Chainsaw + Your own personal Igor = Awesomeness, to the power of Victory. Balance wise, I don't see anything that screams "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!", but then I couldv'e missed something. Your DM sounds pretty cool, by the way.

BRC
2007-10-23, 09:26 PM
Thanks.
Oh yeah, Some art
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/GrenandMongo.png
That would be the character I'm imagining using, Dunno about a name yet, but it will proably be based off "Daneeka", since Ive had a tradition of naming my characters after people from Catch-22. He's weilding a flaming chainsaw, and a ray gun that simulated the effects of a wand of lightning bolt (or maybe it just deals some electricity damage, who knows). His creature is an Ogre Body/dire ape claws/Owlbear head named Mongo.

JackMage666
2007-10-23, 09:48 PM
Only thing is, I don't see prices anywhere, and there seems to be alot of ways to get things free, which no real limits. For example, you could have several creatures under your control, things lke that.

I don't know, clean it up, it's hard to read right now.

BRC
2007-10-23, 09:54 PM
Only thing is, I don't see prices anywhere, and there seems to be alot of ways to get things free, which no real limits. For example, you could have several creatures under your control, things lke that.

I don't know, clean it up, it's hard to read right now.
Well I specify that the total number of creatures accompanying you cannot have a total CR exceeding 1/2 your Mad Scientist level, calculated as if you were calculating the CR for an encounter. (Thats one of the things I'm worried may be overpowered.), you could have multiple creatures, or one big creature, but it would have to end up about the same.
You also get nothing for free, I just couldn't think of good prices for the Crown and the Sinister Laboratory (10 points if you get the reference), the crown wouldn't be that expensive, but the Lab would. However you need to pay for lab equipment, monster parts you don't gather yourself,parts for devices, a space to use as a lab ect. The "useful Items" catagory is not stuff you get for free, just stuff that this class would find useful to buy.
and yeah, I do need to clean it up, I'll proably get around to that at some point.
Technically, you can have an unlimited number of creatures (if you have the time, parts, and money for them), but you can't have all of them with you.
EDIT: oh yeah, I also never worked out the system for determining how long it takes to build a creature, not just study the parts needed.

BRC
2007-10-24, 09:40 AM
Added some rules for Creations as PC's.

DanielLC
2007-10-24, 10:58 PM
I've made a system for making something like your Devices. I called them Extrodinary Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60087). I also have a system similar to your creature creation in my Unnatural PrC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3082320), although that's for modifying yourself.
How about a system to merge the creatures with the devices? The only thing worse than an owl bear/ogre/dire ape is a cyborg owl bear/ogre/dire ape.

You need to bold the names of the useful items, to make it clearer.

BRC
2007-10-25, 07:53 AM
I've made a system for making something like your Devices. I called them Extrodinary Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60087). I also have a system similar to your creature creation in my Unnatural PrC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3082320), although that's for modifying yourself.
How about a system to merge the creatures with the devices? The only thing worse than an owl bear/ogre/dire ape is a cyborg owl bear/ogre/dire ape.

I was going to make that a feat "Flesh and Steel" or somthing, along with a feat called "Juiced" which lets you use alchemy to increase physical stats.

I'll check out the extrordinary devices later when I have more time.

BRC
2007-10-25, 09:38 PM

I like the extrordinary items, but theyre very expensive, moreso then it would be for a magic item of the same power, and it's not as simple a system, hopefully I'll be able to adapt it.
Oh yeah, Added some feats, more creatures rules, and a bit of up-cleaning.

DracoDei
2007-10-26, 10:29 AM
Note that they still work in an AMF, aren't subject to SR etc... so they might not be underpowered... then again they might be more vulnerable to certain types of attacks/sundering simply because they AREN'T magical.

Skelengar
2007-10-26, 12:27 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38331&highlight=spark

Mad scientist class, with mechanics worked out well.

smart thog
2007-10-26, 03:44 PM
I just couldn't think of good prices for the Crown and the Sinister Laboratory (10 points if you get the reference), the crown wouldn't be that expensive, but the Lab would. However you need to pay for lab equipment, monster parts you don't gather yourself,parts for devices, a space to use as a lab ect. The "useful Items" catagory is not stuff you get for free, just stuff that this class would find useful to buy.

Alright, here is my guess. The crown is for Dr. Jekele, and the tower is named after Mary Shelly, who brought us, Dr. Frankenstein (who I went as for Halloween last year), his monster (whose name is Adam), and the true monsters in the story, the bigoted villagers.

BRC
2007-10-26, 05:10 PM
Alright, here is my guess. The crown is for Dr. Jekele, and the tower is named after Mary Shelly, who brought us, Dr. Frankenstein (who I went as for Halloween last year), his monster (whose name is Adam), and the true monsters in the story, the bigoted villagers.

The crown was just a name, but I like the Dr Jekele tie in, but the laboratory was indeed named after mary shelly.

smart thog
2007-10-28, 12:44 PM
Go Smart Thog! Go Smart Thog! Go Smart Thog! Yesss. I do have quasi useful knowledge! Oh Yeah!

Could you maybe post something for those of us who suck at making creatures?

BRC
2007-10-28, 02:56 PM
Some Sample Creatures

Mongo
Large Creature
Body and Brain (ogre), Head (Owlbear), claws (Dire Ape)
Str 21, Dex 8, Con 15, Int 4, Wis 8, Cha 5.
Skills: Climb +6, Listen +1, Spot +1.
Hit Die 4d8 +11
Speed 30ft in hide armor
AC 16 (-1 size -1 Dex, +5 natural, +3 hide armor), Touch 8, Flat Footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple +3/+12
Attack Dire Ape Claws: +8 melee (1d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +8 melee (1d6+6) Owlbear Beak Bite +4 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet
Special Attacks: Rend 2d6+9
Special Qualities: Scent
Feats: Toughness
CR: 4
Advancement: As Giant
Mongo cannot speak due to the fact that his head lacks the appropriate vocal chords, but he can sqwak like an owlbear. He understands a gibberish language of simple commands his creator invented solely for this purpose.
Mongo is proficient with Medium and Light armor, his natural weapons, and great clubs.
How I arrived at this: a lot of creating a creature is Eyeballing, but I’ll go for a simplified version of how I reached this set of stats.
I started with an Ogre, since that’s what Mongo’s base is, and I used all the stats for an Ogre to start, subtracting 2 from all his mental stats to represent the complications that arose from transporting a brain, since mongo is mostly muscle I doubted that his creator would take the trouble to try to keep the brain in good shape. Because of his Int of 4 Mongo is semi-sentient, he can obey simple commands and can wear medium or light armor. I lowered his Spot and Listen skills by 1 to represent his decreased mental capacities, but I improved his Climb by 1 since that could be seen as mostly instinctual, and his Dire Ape claws would prove advantageous in climbing. I gave him Rend from his dire ape claws, and Scent from his owl bear head, I also kept the ogre’s Toughness feat, since his Body is mostly ogre.
All in all, starting with the ogres CR of 3, but now with some bonuses and natural weapons, I put him at about CR4, which is probably an overestimate, I let him keep his greatclub proficiency since the Dire Ape claws are capable of gripping, and how smart do you need to be to beat something over the head with a blunt object.
Lanky
Medium Creature, first level Warrior
Hobgoblin With an additional lower arm added to his left arm, giving him additional reach, In addition, his left hand has been replaced with a Medium Monstrous Scorpion Claw that has been modified with metal blades, +2 (1d6+1) Melee (provides with Constrict and Improved Grab).
Hit Die: 1d8 +2
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 Feet
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +3 Studded Leather, +1 Light Sheild), touch 11, Flat footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+4
Attack: Longsword +2 Melee (1d8+1/19-20) or Claw (1d6+1)
Full attack:Longsword +2 Melee (1d8+1/19-20) And Claw (1d6+1)
Space/reach: 5 ft/10 ft (with claw), 5 ft with longsword
Special Attacks: Constrict, Improved Grab (only if using claw to attack)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft
Saves: Fort+4, Ref +1. Will -2
Abilities: Str 13, dex 13, con 14, Int 9, Wis 8, Cha 7
Skills: Hide +3, Listen +2, Move Silently +2, Spot +2
Feats: Alertness
CR: 1
Notes: Lanky receives a -3 on all attack rolls using weapons wielded in his claw unless those weapons were specially designed to be wielded as such.
How I made it: Lanky is for the most part Hobgoblin, so I Pretty much kept all his Hobgoblin stats, since Lanky would be more useful with some reasonable intelligence I assume his creator took some precautions, so his mental stats only decreased by 1. Lanky is fully Intelligent, so he can understand complex commands, and isn’t likely to rebel against his creator (But it may still happen). The extra arm length gave him a reach of 10, really, it should give him a reach of 7 or so, but in DnD things only happen every 5 feet, Maybe throw in that it takes a Swift action for him to use the extra reach of his claw. All this together. In order to give him a nice even CR, and to make his claw attack worthwhile, I said that the claw was slightly modified with some metal blades. I eyeballed this to about CR 1. Lanky here is a good starter creature, or if your higher level but want a bunch of creatures backing you up instead of one big guy.

BRC
2007-10-30, 04:36 PM
Shameless Bump.

smart thog
2007-10-30, 05:24 PM
Shameless Bump.

I agree. How about some templates?

BRC
2007-10-30, 05:35 PM
I agree. How about some templates?
I'm reluctant to make a flat template you can throw onto somthing to make it a creation, right now the rule of thumb is to see what parts you have and write up what makes sense. Take an ogre, replace his hands with claws, you have an ogre with the natural weapons of whatever claws you just put on, a single "Creation" template seems abit limiting.
or if I'm interpreting it all wrong, post an example of what your asking for.

smart thog
2007-10-30, 08:07 PM
I'm reluctant to make a flat template you can throw onto somthing to make it a creation, right now the rule of thumb is to see what parts you have and write up what makes sense. Take an ogre, replace his hands with claws, you have an ogre with the natural weapons of whatever claws you just put on, a single "Creation" template seems abit limiting.
or if I'm interpreting it all wrong, post an example of what your asking for.

Sure.

like this.

Acid blooded.

acquired template. can be added to any corporal mortal (not outsider, elemental, undead or deathless), that has blood.

Type same
HD same
Special attacks same
Special qualities

Acid blood. Whenever this creature takes slashing or pricing damage, the attacker takes either 1d8 points of acid damage (for slashing damage) for attacker or 1d4 for weapon and wielder (for pricing damage). when a acid blood creature is bitten or has blood drain (damage for both) the offender takes 1d12 points of acid damage.

Immunity to disease. germs (like everything else) tend to die when immersed in the acid.

Acid resistence 10

skills same

abilities -4 to con. having acid in your blood does not make you healthier by any means.

CR same

Is this good? its my first creature. Wadday think.

DracoDei
2007-10-30, 08:13 PM
Hmmm... I actually think that template works in theory...

BRC
2007-10-30, 08:18 PM
Sure.

like this.

Acid blooded.

acquired template. can be added to any corporal mortal (not outsider, elemental, undead or deathless), that has blood.

Type same
HD same
Special attacks same
Special qualities

Acid blood. Whenever this creature takes slashing or pricing damage, the attacker takes either 1d8 points of acid damage (for slashing damage) for attacker or 1d4 for weapon and wielder (for pricing damage). when a acid blood creature is bitten or has blood drain (damage for both) the offender takes 1d12 points of acid damage.

Immunity to disease. germs (like everything else) tend to die when immersed in the acid.

Acid resistence 10

skills same

abilities -4 to con. having acid in your blood does not make you healthier by any means.

CR same

Is this good? its my first creature. Wadday think.
Hmmm, I think I see what you mean there, it looks good to me, I'll add it to the opening post and I'll try to do some when I have time

DracoDei
2007-10-30, 08:30 PM
To be clear: I DON'T think EVERYTHING can be done with templates... some of it IS going to be "putting an owlbear's claw attack on an ogre", but for some things it works.

smart thog
2007-10-30, 08:37 PM
Glad to see everyone liked the template.

Here is how a mad scientist does it. Feed to intended creature a special diet that helps with acid resistance for a month (costs 400 gp per week), then preform the surgery.

P.S. I know it might be too late but a D8 hit die seems too meaty for a mad scientist. Maybe have d6 and give graft flesh as a bonus feat, and have a craft reserve as a artificer of 1 level lower.

BRC
2007-10-30, 08:40 PM
To be clear: I DON'T think EVERYTHING can be done with templates... some of it IS going to be "putting an owlbear's claw attack on an ogre", but for some things it works.

I agree, I think Templates in terms of Creatures are going to be seperate from the actual compesistion of the creature, for example, in the opening post under Creatures I have two things, Efficient system and Versitile system which now that I think about it, are templates.

BRC
2007-10-30, 08:45 PM
Glad to see everyone liked the template.

Here is how a mad scientist does it. Feed to intended creature a special diet that helps with acid resistance for a month (costs 400 gp per week), then preform the surgery.

P.S. I know it might be too late but a D8 hit die seems too meaty for a mad scientist. Maybe have d6 and give graft flesh as a bonus feat, and have a craft reserve as a artificer of 1 level lower.
I decided on D8 because I imagine them actually mixing it up in combat. They don't have spells so they can't sit back like a wizard and lob spells, they have devices which function like weapons, but in order to use them the mad scientist needs to be in the fray, or in a similar position to a ranger, and though they do get a creature backing them up, their still in the fray, and they don't have anywhere near the damage output of a wizard or sorceror.
Fluff Wise, d8 hit die actually looks like its about average, and the scrawny mad scientists don't live past their first experiment.

smart thog
2007-10-31, 12:32 PM
I decided on D8 because I imagine them actually mixing it up in combat. They don't have spells so they can't sit back like a wizard and lob spells, they have devices which function like weapons, but in order to use them the mad scientist needs to be in the fray, or in a similar position to a ranger, and though they do get a creature backing them up, their still in the fray, and they don't have anywhere near the damage output of a wizard or sorceror.
Fluff Wise, d8 hit die actually looks like its about average, and the scrawny mad scientists don't live past their first experiment.

I think that a d8 hit dice means you do not have to have huge creatures backing you up, but you made this class. Lets compremise with d7 hit die or alternating d8 and d6 hit dice, 8 for odd levels, D6 for even. with these alterations, you could give graft flesh as a bonus feat.

BRC
2007-10-31, 12:52 PM
I think that a d8 hit dice means you do not have to have huge creatures backing you up, but you made this class. Lets compremise with d7 hit die or alternating d8 and d6 hit dice, 8 for odd levels, D6 for even. with these alterations, you could give graft flesh as a bonus feat.
Or we give them d6 and let them add their int bonus to AC, I think theres somthing somewhere that lets people do that, the idea being that they are using their huge liek xbox brain to analyze the enemies attacks in order to dodge/block.

smart thog
2007-10-31, 03:19 PM
Or we give them d6 and let them add their int bonus to AC, I think theres somthing somewhere that lets people do that, the idea being that they are using their huge liek xbox brain to analyze the enemies attacks in order to dodge/block.

Sounds good. Maybe let them use their int modifier on attacks also.

BRC
2007-10-31, 03:55 PM
Sounds good. Maybe let them use their int modifier on attacks also.
How does this sound
Brain over Brawn The Mad Scientist can use their brilliant intellect to predict the movements of enemies, aiding them in both defending and attacking. A Mad Scientist uses their Int modifier instead of their Dexterity modifier for AC, if there is any point the Mad Scientist would be denied their Dex bonus to AC, their Int bonus is denied in the same way. The Mad Scientist uses their Int modifier instead of their strength modifier for attack rolls provided they can clearly see their opponent.
EDIT: Hmm, some abilites would actually be good, especially a capstone.

DracoDei
2007-10-31, 05:07 PM
You might want to make both those abilities OPTIONAL so if someone throws the right buffs on them it actually HELPS instead of being (mostly) useless.

BRC
2007-10-31, 05:11 PM
You might want to make both those abilities OPTIONAL so if someone throws the right buffs on them it actually HELPS instead of being (mostly) useless.
Hmmm, I suppose, maybe.
Anybody have ideas for abilities?

smart thog
2007-11-01, 03:37 PM
Bloody. I like how you cleaned up the table, I do not like your change in avatar, but this is your thread. A good capstone ability might be allowing the mad scientist to have 3/4 his level in CR of creatures, because at the epic levels, those weak things will not do crap. Also could they have a assistant companion, that progress like a animal companion. Can you see this happing "Go Igor, Bite! Now scratch! Now get brains! .

BRC
2007-11-01, 04:28 PM
Bloody. I like how you cleaned up the table, I do not like your change in avatar, but this is your thread. A good capstone ability might be allowing the mad scientist to have 3/4 his level in CR of creatures, because at the epic levels, those weak things will not do crap. Also could they have a assistant companion, that progress like a animal companion. Can you see this happing "Go Igor, Bite! Now scratch! Now get brains! .
Well I would consider an assistant a Trivial Creation or Cohort, since their main purpose isn't for combat they arn't really that unbalancing , though I should make some rules for intelligent trivial creations, just some limits on them.
As for the Capstone, I actually had an Idea that at level 10 and at level 20 the mad scientist gets to pick between two specials, one of which benefits their Devices and one of which benefits their Creatures, for example.
Mechanical Mastermind: all devices built by the Mad Scientist are automatically treated as masterwork.
And
Playing Demigod: The Mad Scientist's creations gain one additional HD with associated bonuses, this does not effect CR.
Then at Level 20
Mechanical Madman: The costs of adding effects to devices is decreased by half.
Playing God: The maximum total CR of creations accompying a Mad Scientist is increased to 3/4ths of their Mad Scientist level.
I'm not too sure about those specific abilities, but I like being able to pick between one that benefits creations and one that benefits devices.
Other things, I'm trying to think of a good way to give creations additional attack bonuses without their CR skyrocketing, so they can still be useful against high AC monsters at later levels.

smart thog
2007-11-06, 03:06 PM
How about for a 15 level ability, the scientist gains +1 to int and -1 to wis?

BRC
2007-11-06, 06:15 PM
Hmm, Maybe.
Oh yeah, I added some more stuff for creations, namely that you can use them in place of a hireling or cohort, though the costs must be the same. and rules for creating Rays (Pew Pew Pew)

GoC
2007-11-07, 11:32 AM
Too awesome for words...:smallcool:

BRC
2007-11-07, 11:58 AM
Thanks.
Any Comments on the Rays? I'm worried I made them too cheap.
Edit: I might givethem this ability (inspired by smart thog).
Madness is Useful: the Mad Scientist can raise their int by 1 and lower their wis by 1 for one hour/level.
And Then Later
Sanity Just Gets in the way: The Mad Scientist can raise their int by 2 if they lower their wis by 2.

smart thog
2007-11-09, 09:54 PM
Thanks.
Any Comments on the Rays? I'm worried I made them too cheap.
Edit: I might givethem this ability (inspired by smart thog).
Madness is Useful: the Mad Scientist can raise their int by 1 and lower their wis by 1 for one hour/level.
And Then Later
Sanity Just Gets in the way: The Mad Scientist can raise their int by 2 if they lower their wis by 2.

Well, as for ray, I think that a healing ray would do nicely. It would activate the bodies natural healing, and heal 5d12 points of damage per shot.

add the class abilities to the charts.

Who hoo, something was named after me.

BRC
2007-11-11, 12:13 PM
Well, as for ray, I think that a healing ray would do nicely. It would activate the bodies natural healing, and heal 5d12 points of damage per shot.

add the class abilities to the charts.

Who hoo, something was named after me.
Hrmm, 5d12 seems really hefty to me, but I like the concept.
Oh yeah, changed the creation CR limit from 1/2 Mad Scientist Level to Mad Scientist Level -2 on suggjestion from my Dm. It looks like the next campaign were going to play is going to be epic-level evil campagin, so if anybody has hints on how to do epic progression for this class that would be great.

smart thog
2007-11-12, 03:40 PM
Oh yeah, changed the creation CR limit from 1/2 Mad Scientist Level to Mad Scientist Level -2 on suggestion from my Dm. It looks like the next campaign were going to play is going to be epic-level evil campaign, so if anybody has hints on how to do epic progression for this class that would be great.

Device proficiency at every three levels, free craft OR knowledge every five levels, epic bonus feat every three levels.

If this campaign is on the web, Can I be in it?

Darke
2007-11-13, 03:01 AM
gelatinous howler?

minotaur flayer?

bowl of Ramen with legs?

Would you be able to add to something that has already been stitched up.
Like adding chuul claws to a displacer's appendages, then later on, when you get then add griffon wings, having activated the displacer before obtaining the wings?

smart thog
2007-11-14, 09:58 AM
gelatinous howler?

minotaur flayer?

bowl of Ramen with legs?

Like adding chuul claws to a displacer's appendages, then later on, when you get then add griffon wings, having activated the displacer before obtaining the wings?

Whatever you want. instructions as follows

[/spoiler]
Creatures (or creations, I use them interchangeably and am too lazy to fix it)

A creature is something a Mad scientist creates from the choice bits of anything appropriate. Parts used for a creature must:
A: Be from a monster of the same size as the rest of the parts used for the creature.
B: Be from a monster with discernable anatomy.
C: Be in a state such that a Raise Dead Spell would work on it.
A Mad Scientist cannot be accompanied by creatures of a total CR greater her Mad Scientist Level -2. Unless a separate DC 15 Craft (Creature) check is made the INT of the creature drops by 2 from whatever brain is being used, if a DC 10 check is made, the INT only drops by 1. A mad scientist can lower the Int of a brain as much as they want with no check, but cannot raise it further then the original INT of the brains original owner.
A creature with an Int of 1-2 has an Animal intelligence and can be trained as such.
A creature with an INT of 3-5 is Semi-Sentient, it can understand and perform simple commands and if it has vocal chords can speak and understand basic words in one language. It must be trained to obey it’s master within a month of it’s creation, training takes 1 week per point of Intelligence above 2.
A creature with an Int above 5 is fully sentient and can be treated as such for all purposes, it will have some loyalty towards it’s creator but must be controlled with the same methods one would use to control any other sentient being (provide motivation, brainwashing ect).
If a mad scientist wishes to purchase parts for a creature, DM’s discretion on the price.
If a Mad Scientist starts with a creature, multiply the price by 3 as if it was a item.
Creating a Creature
Creating a creature takes 1 week study for every different part used unless the mad scientist has created a creature using that same part before, for example, a creature with an ogre body but Dire ape claws and an Owlbear’s head would take 3 weeks study, since the Dire Apes claws are the same type of part.
The check to create a creature is a Craft (Creature) check with DC 15+2x( Size categories below that of the mad scientist creating it)-2x(Size categories above that of the mad scientist creating it.), A check must be made for each part added, as well as a general check.
For my example creature Mongo(Ogre body, Ogre Brain, 2 dire ape claws, Owlbear head) being created by a medium-sized mad scientist there would require the following checks.
DC 13 check for right claw
DC 13 check for left claw
DC 13 check to transfer brain to owl bear head
DC 13 check for head.
General DC 13 Check
If a check is failed by a margin of 3 or less, the part can still be recovered.
(need help on creation time)
Required Materials: The parts used, a fully equipped lab, an appropriate dose of Elixir of Artificial Life (See Below under Useful Items)
A Creation uses the Hit die of whatever creature provided it’s torso and counts as an Abberation, A creation is proficient with it’s natural weapons, if it is semi sentient it can be trained to wield certain weapons, if it is fully intelligent it is proficient as it’s class.
A creation can be modified with the appropriate study time and check for the part involved, provided the modification does not require the removal of a non-vital part, in which case the creation must be re-awakened.
Awakening requires a jolt of energy, the most convenient being a properly directed bolt of lightning(conveniently gathered via lightning rod and a good cackle)
A newly awakened creature will be gain some loyalty towards the first living thing it see’s, which is usually it’s creator. It will not remember anything from its previous life, but if it is being re-awakened it will remember. It may show characteristics of the previous owner of its brain.
Trivial Creatures
At 5th level a Mad Scientist has learned to create creatures that are tame enough to be easily controlled by others, and can serve the purpose of any domesticated animals (like a horse, ox, cat, ect). These creatures are called Trivial creatures and cannot be designed for the primary purpose of combat, but can be used as a mount, to pull a cart, or just as a pet (who doesn’t want an adorable lizard/cat/owl), or maybe it’s a multi-brained immobile monstrosity that sits in a library all day reading 5 books at once with five pairs of eyes and is used for its knowledge skills, so long as it’s not used for combat it counts as a trivial creature, they are simply a twist on something like a mount (the knowledge skill database brain thingy is kind of on the grey line of allowable for this). Trivial creatures do not count towrds the total CR of creatures the Mad Scientist can have accompanying them. Also, any time a Mad Scientist could have an NPC accompanng them for an extended period of time, like a hireling or cohort, then that hireling could be replaced by a Creation if the situation allows. The same costs must be applied as if the Hireling or Cohort was not a creation.
Ways to upgrade creatures without giving them new parts.
Standard Creature Upgrades: these are upgrades that a Mad Scientist can do to their creatures without harvesting more parts.
Hit Dice (+1 CR), 500g the Mad Scientist can provide the creature with1 CR worth of additional hit dice, including the bonuses involved.
Class Levels (+1 CR) if the creature is sufficiently intelligent, the Mad Scientist can have it trained in a class, this can be done in multiple ways, one of which is to arrange for the creature to be instructed by a willing NPC. but the easiest is to have a member of the party instruct it over a period of time, if the creature already has class levels it gains experience from each encounter it takes part in equal to 3/4ths the experience gained by the Mad Scientist, if it has enough experience to level up it does not do so until the Mad Scientist decides to allow it to, causing its CR to increase again. Creatures cannot be created with class levels with few exceptions (such as having the brain of a wizard and succeeding on a check to preserve the knowledge retained by the previous owner, which may cause complications when they wake up)
NPC class levels (+ 1/2CR) As Class Levels, except for NPC classes.
Versatile System, 200g The creature’s digestive system is modified to be able to process more foods, it becomes an omnivore and is capable of eating almost anything.
Efficient System: 500g, the creature’s digestive system is modified so as to be more efficient, the creature consumes food as if it was one size category smaller.
Acid blood:300g, Whenever this creature takes slashing or pricing damage, the attacker takes either 1d8 points of acid damage (for slashing damage) for attacker or 1d4 for weapon and wielder (for pricing damage). when a acid blood creature is bitten or has blood drain (damage for both) the offender takes 1d12 points of acid damage. In addition the creature gains Acid Resistance 10, becomes immune to disease and takes a -4 con penalty
Weapon/armor/shield proficiency,(CR+1/4th) an appropriately shaped creature can gain a weapon or armor proficiency.
Feat or special, (DM’s discretion), the creature gains a feat or special attack it meets the prerequisites for, this can include special attacks gained from parts (such as a poison gland adding poison, a creature with a claw may gain improved grab, a creature with the right general shape may gain pounce, trample or powerful charge.) If a Special ability is gained from a part that is later removed, it loses the ability and its CR lowers appropriately.

Just keep sanity and villagers away from your work.
P.S. Didn't you read all the forum before posting?

BRC
2007-11-14, 12:06 PM
Short answer: yes, provided your DM dosn't rule that it increases the CR past your limit. Also, you can't make a creature from somthing without discernable anatomy, so you couldn't make an ooze using the rules I have here, feel free to suggjest some rules for creating oozes though.

smart thog
2007-11-23, 11:58 AM
Can I make a ooze with a uzi? It would be cool what are the rules on making seinent oozes?

smart thog
2007-11-28, 01:03 PM
I have a idea for a epic feat for the scientist

tough creations (epic)

Prerequisites mad scinentist level 24

all creates you create gain toughness as a bonus feat twice (so they all gain 6 hit points).

wadda think?

Darke
2007-11-30, 07:18 PM
thankyou...It was not clear to me the first few times I read through it.

smart thog
2007-12-02, 01:04 PM
thankyou...It was not clear to me the first few times I read through it.

What do you mean by that. Are you being sarcastic. It is so hard to tell on these forums.

ronnyfire
2007-12-03, 10:35 PM
i have a suggestions for ray guns + spells (regarding the disintegration spell)

ray guns already have modification ability upon creation, with flaws and traits.
so i thought, what if you gave it the ability to take a trait that gave it any ray spell up to half the level of the mad scientist rounded down?
so disintegration ray would be minimum mad scientist level of 12, making the ray gun would cost the same as a scroll of disintegration and a ray gun of appropriate level (6 + however many traits you add)

so a disintegration ray that double shots and does 4d6 damage would be the best a level 12 mad scientist could make, (6 from disintegrate, 2 from double shot, 4 from damage = 12) and cost the same as a 12d6 damage ray gun along with the cost of a scroll of disintegrate.

(half your level rounded down is basically the same as a sorcerer as far as spell casting goes, aside from first level. at which a mad scientist only can put a level 0 spell into the ray gun)

ronnyfire
2007-12-03, 10:39 PM
hey, actually, would you mind if i stole and modified your whole class?
seems like a fun project, and i would give you credit of course if i ever posted it somewhere

BRC
2007-12-03, 10:51 PM
hey, actually, would you mind if i stole and modified your whole class?
seems like a fun project, and i would give you credit of course if i ever posted it somewhere
of course, I thought of another character idea for the campaign I was going to use this in that I fell in love with, but feel free, post your modifications here in case I like them better.

ronnyfire
2007-12-04, 02:15 AM
so far... (still need to do creature stuff and feats and what not tho.

decided to recreate the mad scientist class a bit more balanced (still need to finish the creation rules)

please tell me whats messed up

class:
Mad Scientist
D8 HD

Skill Points: ( 8 + Int )

Class Skills: Appraise, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Gather Information,
Handle Animal, Knowledge (nature, arcane), Ride, Spell Craft, Use Magic Device, Use Rope.

{table]level | base attack bonus | fort | ref | will | special
1| 0 | 0 | 0 | 2 | +1 device proficiency, craft or knowledge skill focus, More Then One Way to Skin a Cat
2 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 3 |
3 | 2 | 1 | 1 | 3 | +1 device proficiency
4 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 4 |
5 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 4 | craft or knowledge skill focus, can create trivial creatures.
6 | 4 | 2 | 2 | 5 | +1 device proficiency
7 | 5 | 2 | 2 | 5 |
8 | 6/1 | 2 | 2 | 6 |
9 | 6/1 | 3 | 3 | 6 | +1 device proficiency
10| 7/2 | 3 | 3 | 7 | craft or knowledge skill focus, specialization
11| 8/3 | 3 | 3 | 7 |
12| 9/4 | 4 | 4 | 8 | +1 device proficiency
13| 9/4 | 4 | 4 | 8 |
14| 10/5 | 4 | 4 | 9 |
15| 11/6/1 | 5 | 5 | 9 | +1 device proficiency, craft or knowledge skill focus
16| 12/7/2 | 5 | 5 | 10 |
17| 12/7/2 | 5 | 5 | 10 |
18| 13/8/3 | 6 | 6 | 11 | +1 device proficiency
19| 14/9/4 | 6 | 6 | 11 |
20| 15/10/5 | 6 | 6 | 12 | +1 device proficiency, craft or knowledge skill focus, specialization tier 2[/table]

base abilities

More Then One Way to Skin a Cat:
Mad Scientists may use Craft (Alchemy) without being a spell caster.
They do not require Feat (Craft magic arms and armor) to simulate the effects of magical effects when
crafting devices. They May Craft devices that simulate the effects of certain wondrous items without
the feat Craft wondrous Item, and they may craft Wand-Rays (See Description in devices section)
without the feat Craft-Wands.

Specialization:
at level 10 a mad scientist may choose to specialize in either creatures or devices.

Device spec: a mad scientist who chooses this has grown so god at creating devices that he knows shortcuts to cut down on the cost of materials.
Benefit: when creating a device, a mad scientist only pays half the crafting cost in materials.

Creature spec: a mad scientist who chooses this has grown adept at learning how creatures will react with each other in a very short time.
Benefit: when studying a piece of a creature a mad scientist only takes 2 hours per piece, if studying an entire creature it takes 5 hours.

Specialization tier 2: a level 20 mad scientist gains the benefits of one of these.
device spec 2: a mad scientist now makes all devices at either +5 power level if a ray gun or automatically masterwork if not, all devices no longer need power cells, due to knowing how to collect energy from the environment around them.

Creature spec 2: a mad scientist can now have two sets of creatures with them at any time, meaning they can have two sets of cr 18 monsters

Device proficiency:
Any Device, with very few exceptions will be treated as Exotic for the purpose of proficiency.
Remember, each device counts as an exotic weapon, piece of armor or tool, so if a Mad Scientist builds
a two-handed chainsaw, that’s an exotic weapon, if he later builds another two-handed chainsaw,
but this time he’s built it so the blade is electrified, he can still use the previous proficiency
to wield it. If a Mad Scientist already has a proficiency in one of his devices, he can spend an
additional device proficiency to gain Weapon Focus with that device.
Some devices (tools that do magical effects) need power cells.

to create a device you must succeed on a Craft(mechanical) check of a similar DC of a weapon, armor
or tool around the same ability(s). a mad scientist can create devices with elemental damage, provided
they supply an elemental gem or substance.

Example: Hand Saw, 1D8, one handed, 19-20 x2, DC 15 Mechanical 5gp (based on longsword)
ray guns

Ray Guns:
Ray guns are ranged weapons that can be made better as the mad scientist levels up.
ray guns make ranged touch attack at 50 feet.
a mad scientist can make a ray gun p to the same power level as his mad scientist level.
a mad scientist may add flaws or traits to his gun, adding to or lowering the total power
level of the gun.
ray guns use power cells, which are created by a mad scientist.
each power cell has a different number of charges for the ray gun.

cost of creating a ray gun is 250gp for the first power level + 500 each power level above 1. if adding a spell, add cost of the spell scroll. (takes one day to create regardless of power level) dc to craft is 10+ power level

{table]Traits| |

Accurate| +1 effective Power Level| The ray is well designed and accurate providing a +2 bonus on Ranged touch attacks made with it|

Element damage| +1 Effective power level|add 1d6 damage of fire, cold or electric damage, can be taken multiple times|

Extra range| +1 Effective power level|increase the max range of the ray gun by 25'. can be taken multiple times|

Quick-shot| +1 Effective power level| firing the ray does not provoke an attack of opportunity|

tazer shot| +1 Effective power level|add 1d6 non lethal damage, can be taken multiple times|

Double Shot| +2 effective power level|the ray can be fired twice in the same turn at a -3 penalty for the second shot|

Force| +2 Effective power level|add 1d8 force damage, can be taken multiple times|

Sonic blow| +2 Effective power level|convert all damage to sonic damage|

Cone-Fire| +7 effective power level| the ray fires in a 15 foot cone, all creatures within it can make a DC 15 reflex save for half|

Spell Effect| + Effective power level equal to spell level|add any ray spell up to half the level of the mad scientist rounded down. each casting consumes a number of charges = to the spells level, and the spell is cast at the level of the mad scientist -spell level(need the scroll to add spell)|
Flaws:| |

Bulky| -1 effective power level| The ray is large and bulky, requiring two hands to use|

Inaccurate| -1 effective power level|the ray provides a -2 penalty on Ranged Touch Attacks made with it|

High Energy Consumption| -2 effective power level| The Ray consumes 2 charges per shot. This can be applied twice to one ray|

Long Cool down| -2 effective power level| The ray can only be fired once every three rounds. This can be applied twice to one ray|

Unpredictable Cool down| -2 effective power level| the ray can only be fired every 1d4 rounds. This can be applied twice to one ray|

Unpredictable Energy Consumption| -2 effective power level| The Ray consumes 1d4 charges per shot. This can be applied twice to one ray|

Unstable| -3 effective power level| when fired, roll 1d20, if the result is one the ray explodes, dealing 1d6 damage for each remaining charge/2 to it's wielder and anything in an adjacent square, characters in adjacent squares can make a DC 17 ref save for half|

Highly Unstable| -5 effective power level| when fired, roll 1d10, if the result is one the ray explodes, dealing 1d6 damage for each remaining charge/2 to it's wielder and anything in all adjacent squares, characters in adjacent squares can make a DC 17 ref save for half|[/table]

Example of a ray gun.
a two handed (bulky) disintegration ray that double shots and does 5d6 damage would be the best a level 12 mad scientist could make,
(6 from disintegrate, 2 from double shot, 4 from damage = 12) and cost the same as a 12d6 damage ray gun along
with the cost of a scroll of disintegrate(5750 + 1650 gp).

Ray gun cost chart:

{table]Effective power level| Cost
1 | 250
2 | 750
3 | 1250
4 | 1750
5 | 2250
6 | 2750
7 | 3250
8 | 3750
9 | 4250
10 | 4750
11 | 5250
12 | 5750
13 | 6250
14 | 6750
15 | 7250
16 | 7750
17 | 8250
18 | 8750
19 | 9250
20 | 9750[/table]
power cells
Power cells:
a power cell is a special device a mad scientist uses to power ray guns and tool devices.
there are four grades of power cell, weak cell, strong cell, weak generator and strong generator.
they take 2 hours to create with craft (mechanical)

{table]name|charges|recharge rate|
weak cells|10|0|
strong cell|50 |0|
weak generators |10 |1/30 sec, 5 rounds|
strong generators|50|1/12 seconds, 2 rounds|[/table]

generator cost and DC table

{table]Name| cost| create DC
weak cell | 5gp | 15
Weak generator | 20gp | 20
Strong cell | 20gp | 20|
Strong generator |50gp | 30[/table]

Creatures
a mad scientist has the ability to make creations out of the flesh of others.

at level 1 a mad scientist may slightly modify the body of others, using small bits of other creatures.
you may take pieces of another creature, and add it to the body of the subject, once added, they will last one day per mad scientist level.
these temporary enhancements can do as many things as you could imagine.
you can add a number of enhancements equal to half your mad scientist level rounded down (minimum one) to any one creature.

{table]list of example enhancements|
body part| bonus
shocker lizard horn| electricity sense
spiders fang| bite attack = to the spiders damage + poison
gills|water breathing[/table]

at level 5 a mad scientist can create new creatures instead of just modify old ones.
you can now create a creature out of full body parts.
you can create any number of creatures adding up to a total cr of your mad scientist level -2 (minimum 1/2 cr)
any creature you make must have a head and brain.
if you want any arms you must add a torso.
all pieces of the creation must me from a creature of the same size as the rest of the pieces used to create the creature.
every piece you add to your creature gives the creature + 1/4th the original monsters cr,+ 1/2 instead if it gives a fly speed, any special ability including natural attacks, ability modifier above half your mad scientist level rounded down, or if it gives spell like abilitys.
all creatures used must have a discernible anatomy.

takes 24 hours of strait work to create a monster.
no cost, unless buying body parts. (up to dm to put up prices)

the mad scientist must make a craft (creation) check for each piece added to the creature (see table below for dc for individual pieces

creation dc per piece
{table] + cr |craft dc
+1/4 |10
+1/2 |11
+1 | 12
+2 | 13
+3 | 14
+4| 15
+5|16
+6|17
+7|18
+8|19
+9|20
+10| 21
+11|22
+12|23
+13|24
+14|25
+15|26
+16|27
+17|28
+18|29
+19|30
+20|31[/table]

all creations are considered abberations
creation has a number of hit dice and base attack bonus equal to cr (minimum 1)
(if creature has more than one type of move speed, add 1/4 cr)
(if movement speed bonuses are above 60' add another 1/4th cr.)
(if creature gains reach, add an additional 1/4 cr for each 5')
(creature gets the average dex and str of the two creatures used for the arms and legs, if one does not exist, count is as 10)

{table]body parts|description
Head| the head of the creature, a must have. can give bite attack if original owner of head had one, can also give breath weapon.
Brain| governs the intelligence charisma and wisdom of the creature
Torso| governs the constitution and fortitude save of the creature, as well as health and natural armor.
Propulsion limbs| governs reflex. legs, tentacles(also can be a arm), flipper, wing or anything that gives the creature a movement speed.
arms| arms, tentacles, claws or any other attachment one would consider the arm of a creature.
misc| feelers, scent glands, eyes or any other small piece of a creature that modifies it slightly[/table]

example: level 2 mad scientist creating cr 2 creature.
leopard torso: +cr 2/4 d8 hd +15 con
monstrous spider legs: + cr 1/4 30 foot land speed, 20 climb speed(extra 1/4 due to second move type)
constrictor snake head: + cr 1/2 bite 1d3
constrictor snake brain: + cr 2/4 int 1 wis 12 cha 2

{table]Size/Type| Medium Abberation
Hit Dice| 2d8+2 (11)
Initiative| +2
Speed| 30 ft (6 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class| 13 (+2 Dex, +1 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple| +2/+3
Attack| Bite +3 melee (1d3+1)
Full Attack| Bite +3 melee (1d3+1)
Space/Reach| 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks| +1 bite 1d3 + 1
Special Qualities|
Saves| Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities| Str 13, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills| Balance +10, Climb +9, Hide +6, Jump +9,
Listen +6, Move Silently +6, Spot +6
Challenge Rating| 2[/table]

Trivial creatures:
at level 5 a mad scientist can create as many creatures as he wants that cant help in combat, can be pets, creatures to pull carts, creatures that preform small tasks, such as keeping your lair clean. but you can still only create them at a cr equal to or lower than your mad scientist level -2.

smart thog
2007-12-04, 01:07 PM
Ronny you forgot the crowing powers

As for the Capstone, I actually had an Idea that at level 10 and at level 20 the mad scientist gets to pick between two specials, one of which benefits their Devices and one of which benefits their Creatures, for example.
Mechanical Mastermind: all devices built by the Mad Scientist are automatically treated as masterwork.
And
Playing Demigod: The Mad Scientist's creations gain one additional HD with associated bonuses, this does not effect CR.
Then at Level 20
Mechanical Madman: The costs of adding effects to devices is decreased by half.
Playing God: The maximum total CR of creations accompying a Mad Scientist is increased to 3/4ths of their Mad Scientist level.
I'm not too sure about those specific abilities, but I like being able to pick between one that benefits creations and one that benefits devices.
Other things, I'm trying to think of a good way to give creations additional attack bonuses without their CR skyrocketing, so they can still be useful against high AC monsters at later levels.

ronnyfire
2007-12-04, 01:48 PM
Ronny you forgot the crowing powers

as i said, i still have a few things to work on xP