PDA

View Full Version : Yagami Light vs Batman.*spoilers

Talkkno
2007-10-24, 10:38 PM
Batman replaces Near, assume that he is the same position Near was in, and has only the resources and information that Near would have access too as a top member of SPK(Sp?)
Everything else is same, etc Light gets Misa helping and Mellow does his kidnapping stuff....
I have my opions, but i want see other people's thoughts on the matter.

Xuincherguixe
2007-10-24, 10:58 PM
That depends who eats the Bat chips.

SurlySeraph
2007-10-24, 11:04 PM
I'm too sleepy to put actual thought into this, so I'll just say I want Light to win. I might put up some kind of justification tomorrow.

Like, maybe Light's high moral standards mean he'll just kill Bruce Wayne without realizing that's he's Batman? Or something?

DomaDoma
2007-10-24, 11:19 PM
Really not familiar enough with Batman-as-investigator to judge, but I get the feeling that at least he wouldn't blow Aizawa off like that. Near really pissed me off in that scene.

turkishproverb
2007-10-24, 11:25 PM
Really not familiar enough with Batman-as-investigator to judge, but I get the feeling that at least he wouldn't blow Aizawa off like that. Near really pissed me off in that scene.

YAY! I'm not the only one it bothered.

But really, that's the question, who finds otu first? Is batman goign to figure out kira is light, or is light going to figure out bruce is batman.

The real question is if Batman is superior enough to L. to be able to WIN in the event he suspects Light (although batman's also smart enought to burn the death note just to be safe, anyway...).

Talkkno
2007-10-25, 12:11 AM
The real question is if Batman is superior enough to L. to be able to WIN in the event he suspects Light (although batman's also smart enought to burn the death note just to be safe, anyway...).

But, Light has a some of his death note paper in his watch, and he has buried anouther one.

Setra
2007-10-25, 12:11 AM
(although batman's also smart enought to burn the death note just to be safe, anyway...).
Not if he thinks it will kill him.

L would have been smart enough to burn it but was tricked otherwise.

I personally think Kira would win, couldn't he get Misa to watch a video of batman on TV or some report with him in it, and have her see his real name?

Sucrose
2007-10-25, 12:28 AM
I want Light to lose. Damned cop-killer.

I don't really know enough about Yagami Light to determine who actually would win, however.

turkishproverb
2007-10-25, 12:30 AM
Not if he thinks it will kill him.

L would have been smart enough to burn it but was tricked otherwise.

I personally think Kira would win, couldn't he get Misa to watch a video of batman on TV or some report with him in it, and have her see his real name?

I don't know, batman is willing to give up his life to protect innocents pretty easily. Besides which, it also raises the question of whether batman is better at wording questions.

As to the Misa option, that depends on which era's batman we're talking about. After all, in sme continuities/films, video of batman has never been taken clearly or even at all.

Besides which, depending on the definition of someones REAL name in the other world, it might not affect batman, as he considers himself BATMAN and not bruce wayne, while L probably didn't consider that his real name. It really depends on how the book wors that way. IF it would need "Batman" to be written into the slot, Light would probably never think to write that in the book, and would proably think that batman had a death note when misa brought back that reply.

Setra
2007-10-25, 02:22 AM
Besides which, depending on the definition of someones REAL name in the other world, it might not affect batman, as he considers himself BATMAN and not bruce wayne, while L probably didn't consider that his real name. It really depends on how the book wors that way. IF it would need "Batman" to be written into the slot, Light would probably never think to write that in the book, and would proably think that batman had a death note when misa brought back that reply.
I highly doubt it would need Batman written into the death note.

In any case, L is L's real name, just saying.

Edit: Also, if Kira uses his trick, Batman would think 'anyone who has touched it' would die, and there's no telling if he might accidentally kill an innocent.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-25, 03:39 AM
Light will probably already know who Bruce Wayne is, but Bruce will have no idea who Light is.

Still, if you take "batman is considered an urban legend" to be cannon, and assume that there's no Justice League, or even that Batman is the only DC superhero you've spliced into this universe, Light may not know who Batman is. Batman has used other identities, so Light may not be aware he's up against Batman either. However if this is the Adam West Batman, he'll probably be easier to find.

It would be a lot easier to kill Bruce Wayne than it would be to kill Mello, so once Light gets an idea of Batman's identity then Bruce is dead. Also, Batman's identity has been worked out by logical thinking before. Due to his public alter ego Batman will really need to hide under multilayers of secret identity.

Still, Batman is probably smart enough to take down Light, and as a Philantropist, he's less likely to be killed by Light randomly.

DomaDoma
2007-10-25, 08:04 AM

He has a mask, doesn't he? :smallcool:

I'm pretty sure it's the birth name that counts as the true name. I don't imagine the Wammy kids think of themselves by their true names.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-10-25, 08:16 AM
I think Light would win, mainly since I wonder if Batman would consider him as a bad guy, as long as it didn't affect Gotham he wouldn't really have the drive to devote himself to Light.

Yet if Light found Batman in his way, he would most likely put effort to remove him, and Light can be quiet good at this, with a few minor mistakes though. (Vanity, sigh, if only Light didn't die)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-25, 08:26 AM
I think Light would win, mainly since I wonder if Batman would consider him as a bad guy, as long as it didn't affect Gotham he wouldn't really have the drive to devote himself to Light.

I'm pretty sure Batman has a 'no-killing policy' and has got into "ideological brawls" before.

Serenity
2007-10-25, 08:30 AM
I have absolutely no familiarity with Death Note...but can't Light just kill anyone by writing their name down? Seriously, why would anyone be a threat to him?

DomaDoma
2007-10-25, 08:39 AM
I have absolutely no familiarity with Death Note...but can't Light just kill anyone by writing their name down? Seriously, why would anyone be a threat to him?

Well, how's about you watch the anime and find out? :smallbiggrin: First dubbed episode is on the front page of adultswim.com as we speak.

Xefas
2007-10-25, 08:59 AM
Well, how's about you watch the anime and find out? :smallbiggrin: First dubbed episode is on the front page of adultswim.com as we speak.

No! Don't listen to him! :smallfurious: This man is a psychopath that wants you to watch horrible dubbed terribleness. He is a danger to himself and others, and should not be encouraged. The dub is worse than not watching it at all. The dub is worse than not watching it combined with also stubbing your toe so bad the nail pops off.

Here is the first subtitled episode (http://www.deathnote.tv/1-Death-Note-01.html).

------

Anyway, to actually speak on the topic at hand. Batman is incredibly intelligent- far more than the average person. His smarts are legendary in their magnitude. However, in Death Note, Light has almost omnipotent intellect to the point of him appearing to nearly metagame his own life.

It's like comparing a Spartan to a Space Marine. They're both badass, but they're from different universes, and the Space Marine is just built to be better because his universe requires it.

Light would win. In fact, I'd say he'd probably win against the vast majority of superheroes.

EvilElitest
2007-10-25, 09:01 AM
Light is just smarter. sorry
from,
EE

DomaDoma
2007-10-25, 09:03 AM
Eh? It's not like the dub actually changes anything. (And really, how many dubs can you say that for?)

Of course, the original is still better, and unlike with the dub, the entire thing is released. But still, I think you're being a bit extreme.

Xefas
2007-10-25, 09:11 AM
Eh? It's not like the dub actually changes anything. (And really, how many dubs can you say that for?)

Oh, I agree. It's not that the dub is bad compared to other dubs. It's damn good compared to other dubs, hell, it's better than a whole lot of anime no matter what the format of ingestion is.

But it's pretty god awful compared to its subbed self. That's all I'm saying.

EvilElitest
2007-10-25, 10:15 AM
Oh, I agree. It's not that the dub is bad compared to other dubs. It's damn good compared to other dubs, hell, it's better than a whole lot of anime no matter what the format of ingestion is.

But it's pretty god awful compared to its subbed self. That's all I'm saying.

Subbed are normally better anyways, i like the voices.
from,
EE

TheEmerged
2007-10-25, 02:21 PM
Subs are better than dubs. In other news water is wet, politicans lie, and I hate versus threads :smallbiggrin:

I'm really only here to say one thing -- I can't be the only one to have wondered if L was supposed to be a Bruce Wayne parody? Complete with an Alfred and two kid sidekicks?

Editted to add: come to think of it, L has a catwoman too...

turkishproverb
2007-10-25, 02:26 PM
Subs are better than dubs. In other news water is wet, politicans lie, and I hate versus threads :smallbiggrin:

I'm really only here to say one thing -- I can't be the only one to have wondered if L was supposed to be a Bruce Wayne parody? Complete with an Alfred and two kid sidekicks?

Editted to add: come to think of it, L has a catwoman too...

I don't know. I've never heard the author mention a love for american pop culture, american comics, superheros, or batman, and those comparisons are pretty standard (holmes had many of the same things)

averagejoe
2007-10-25, 03:56 PM
Light wins, since all the "smart" people in that show have the ability to come to really impossible conclusions with insufficient-to-no evidence and still be right. Bat's with his mere "gathering facts" and "logic" doesn't stand a chance.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-25, 05:10 PM
Light wins, since all the "smart" people in that show have the ability to come to really impossible conclusions with insufficient-to-no evidence and still be right. Bat's with his mere "gathering facts" and "logic" doesn't stand a chance.

Batman has defeated the Riddler time and time again. I think he's well versed in impossible conclusions.

DomaDoma
2007-10-25, 06:48 PM

Examples, pray tell?

The only one that comes to mind is when Near pinpointed Mikami Teru, and word on the street is that the manga of the second arc is a lot more in-depth.

Arakune
2007-10-25, 07:44 PM
Batman would win since light doesn't calculate idiot-triggered variable and stupid minions screw-up functions.

"Nothing is immune to idiots"

SilveryCord
2007-10-25, 08:31 PM
Examples, pray tell?

The only one that comes to mind is when Near pinpointed Mikami Teru, and word on the street is that the manga of the second arc is a lot more in-depth.

The problem with L is that he swings between overanalyzing Kira and underanalyzing Kira. There are many times--such as the early TV announcement-when L very obviously does something that would be mind-bogglingly stupid when compared to his opponent. But the way things are written--that Kira falls in to that trap--it makes his actions actually look up to his normal standards. It isn't the fault of the writer, mind you. It's just not possible to keep L and Kira's analytical powers at their normal levels and continue the story in an interesting way.

The lesson: Batman would win if he was trying to stop the evil rampage of Kira before Kira knew about him. Kira would win if he needed to preemptively stop Batman from stopping him, and Bruce didn't know about him. If they both know about each other and are both trying to kill each other, it's a matter of timing; but I'd go for Batman.

averagejoe
2007-10-25, 09:31 PM
Examples, pray tell?

It's been awhile since I've seen the show, so I can't think up a lot of examples. This sort of thing tended to be more symptomatic of the beginning, about the first ten-ish episodes. All I can think of offhand is when L was discussing Kira with the police and he said something like, "Kira might be trying to become a god," which, of course, is exactly what Light's trying to do. Of course, it never occured to L that Kira might be trying to be some sort of powerful human figure or what have you, but instead lands his finger on the right answer, and we're just supposed to take it on faith that L is that brilliant. (Actually L did this sort of thing much more than Light did, so perhaps my statement was a bit hasty.) I find, actually, that this tends to be symptomatic of any anime where someone is supposed to be a brilliant deductive mind.

turkishproverb
2007-10-25, 11:43 PM
It's been awhile since I've seen the show, so I can't think up a lot of examples. This sort of thing tended to be more symptomatic of the beginning, about the first ten-ish episodes. All I can think of offhand is when L was discussing Kira with the police and he said something like, "Kira might be trying to become a god," which, of course, is exactly what Light's trying to do. Of course, it never occured to L that Kira might be trying to be some sort of powerful human figure or what have you, but instead lands his finger on the right answer, and we're just supposed to take it on faith that L is that brilliant. (Actually L did this sort of thing much more than Light did, so perhaps my statement was a bit hasty.) I find, actually, that this tends to be symptomatic of any anime where someone is supposed to be a brilliant deductive mind.

FUnny, in the manga it was the exact opposite problem.

While L was jumping to certain conclusions, he made it clear they were all based off of simple psych or something else obvious.

At the same time, NEAR was like a deus EX machina half the time.