PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a Wizard of High Sorcery

codexgigas
2007-10-25, 10:41 AM
I'm dming a Dragonlance campaign, and one of the players just passed his test of High Sorcery. He chose a grave risk, so he had a soul forge experience. The problem is, I don't have any good ideas for his physical change. He's a LE black robe specializing in enchantment.

Also, I'm not sure what to give him for his item of power. I'd thought about doing something custom, but I'm not sure exactly how pricing custom items works. I'm looking for something in the 2-4000 gold range that he can have fun discovering its abilities.

Thanks.

axraelshelm
2007-10-25, 01:07 PM
with that price range? ring of protection +1 or a higher end a ring of counter spell. ill go with rings because its classic and upping ac is always valuable to a player. And depending what the characters like have the ring mimic him in his powers

dwagiebard
2007-10-25, 01:30 PM
With wizards, I would give him some sort of wizard staff and with very strange but powerful powers.

GimliFett
2007-10-25, 01:34 PM
You'd pro'lly want something along the lines of a Legacy item; something that imcreases it's own power as the possessor gains levels. Start small -- think Raistlin's staff in Autumn Twilight -- he can cast light at will or something like that, nothing overly powerful, but useful nonetheless.

Wolfwood2
2007-10-25, 01:41 PM
I'm dming a Dragonlance campaign, and one of the players just passed his test of High Sorcery. He chose a grave risk, so he had a soul forge experience. The problem is, I don't have any good ideas for his physical change. He's a LE black robe specializing in enchantment.

When in doubt, go for the eyes.

His eyes have become featureless and reflective, as though they were miniature mirrors. (This in no way interferes with normal vision.) Attempts to use Sense Motive on him take a -2 penalty because you can't tell take cues from watching his eye movements.

Also, I'm not sure what to give him for his item of power. I'd thought about doing something custom, but I'm not sure exactly how pricing custom items works. I'm looking for something in the 2-4000 gold range that he can have fun discovering its abilities.

Choker of the Commanding Voice.

When this choker is worn about the neck, he can use the spell Hypnotism 3 times per day (single target version only). Activating the choker requires speaking in a commanding tone of voice and concentrating as a standard action. The Will save DC is 16 (creatures in combat get +2 to saves as normal). Unlike the spell, the number of hitdice the choker can affect is fixed at a 5 HD or less creature. Creatures with more than 5 HD do not have to make saves and are unaffected.

Additionally, spells from the Charm subschool are cast at +1 CL.

Unlike most magical items, it is possible to activate the Choker accidently when giving orders in an authoritative manner, even if you do not understand its properties.

EDIT: If you want to make this a legacy item as per the previous poster's suggestion, ways to increase its powers should be straightforward.

ReluctantDragon
2007-10-25, 01:44 PM

Thanks.

In terms of physical changes, take a cue from the player/character. What are the character's traits or habits? Give them a physical change that would influence these. For instance, if the player likes to talk alot, give him the old Raistlin harsh whisper. If he likes to be the center of attention, give him pale skin and white eyes and make him sensitive to light. Not a vampire, but still fits the bill. Think along those lines.

And I agree with GimliFett. This type of thing begs for a Legacy Weapon to be created. It actually levels with the character and provides flaws and bonuses as the character improves. A great rp and mechanic item.

GimliFett
2007-10-25, 01:54 PM
I like the Choker idea, but you might consider starting it off with a simple daze spell available several times/day (based on Int bonus?), then graduate to hypnotism and other stronger effects later on: suggestion, lesser geas, geas, etc.

As far as physical changes go, I like ReluctantDragon's idea of contrasting the character's focus. Not detracting from his capabilities, but contrasting them with some opposed symbolism.

Severus
2007-10-25, 01:56 PM
I always like items that have a very powerful effect that can be used very rarely, like once every month or once every three months.

It gives the item an epic feel, gives the player a chance to really shine, but doesn't come up very often.

Also helps if you sometimes throw too much at the players. They can whip out the ring of uberness and let fly without you having to fudge things back into place.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-10-25, 02:44 PM
check the first link in my sig for magic items.

mostlyharmful
2007-10-25, 02:52 PM
well you could give him a mysterious item, something that he himself has to figure out because it's resistant to identify. This sounds like just the sort of thing big shot WoHS would be into, "once you've worked out what it is and what it can do you're far less likely to blow up something random and get us all in trouble" sort of thing. And yes this is exactly the kind of thing that begs for item of legacy ideas, although less suckally built than the ones in the book of corse.:smallsmile: