PDA

View Full Version : HappinessTM, by Will Ferguson

Ikeren
2007-10-25, 12:01 PM
(I did a search on "HappinessTM and got no hits, same with "Will Ferguson." Ferguson alone got a ton of hits, but I am hoping that there isn't already a thread with this information).

You may think it's odd that I'd create a post here about a seemingly unrelated book, except for the fact that the last 3-4 comics have been littered with literary allusions to it!

HappinessTM is a book in which a self-help book is written, one that actually work. It proceeds to destroy western civilization as we know it.

The name of the self help book within the book HappinessTM is "What I learned on the Mountain" by Tupak Soiree (a made up name.) The mountain is a metaphor for climbing to perfect joy/happiness/understanding as it has been in the last few strips.

Furthermore, one of the bizarre, random jokes in the book is that whenever anyone reaches this state of happiness after reading the book, they put a sign on their (office, house) door that says "Gone Fishin'." (Indeed the title of the last comic).

Am I reading too much into this? Has anyone else read the book? Do you think the next few comics will include references that show this hypothesis to be right?