PDA

View Full Version : Questions about AMF

Frosty
2007-10-25, 12:12 PM
If I shoot a Scorching ray, and there is an AMF between my target and me, but the target is not in the AMF, what happens to my spell? Does it wink out temporarily as it travels through the AMF and comes out the otherside intact, or just it just get dispelled?

Tyger
2007-10-25, 12:31 PM
INteresting question actually...

The text of the spell indicates that:

An antimagic field suppresses any spell or magical effect used within, brought into, or cast into the area, but does not dispel it. Time spent within an antimagic field counts against the suppressed spell’s duration.

As the text specifies "suppresses" the effect, I would suggest that it could be interpreted that the ray continues on the other side of the AMF unharmed. That said, line of effect is broken by a AMF, so it could easily be argued to the contrary.

Line of effect indicates that it is only broken by a solid barrier, and the text of AMF indicates that it is only impervious to most magical effects, not a solid barrier.

Personally, as a DM, I'd let if re-appear on the other side. But that would be a houserule, as the RAW isn't really clear.

Frosty
2007-10-25, 12:51 PM
Actually, according to the Rules Compendium, AMF does NOT block line of effect.

Townopolis
2007-10-25, 01:02 PM
Your laser is unharmed and fully operational.

Tyger
2007-10-25, 01:51 PM
Actually, according to the Rules Compendium, AMF does NOT block line of effect.

Yeah, which is what I was getting at with the fourth part there... the part that says "Line of effect..."

Should have cleaned up the second part though, you're right.