PDA

View Full Version : Powerful Build

azule74
2007-10-25, 12:46 PM
Okay so I am looking to bring in a new character and I am trying to play off that it is Halloween. I am looking to make a character that has the Were bear added to it. BUT I want a character that will not destroy all of his equipment when he first changes. Any suggestions? I was thinking of the Goliath because of the powerful build, but would rather not have the +1 LA if I can get around it. The 6HD and the +2 LA for the Were bear is kind of a big hit.

Hyfigh
2007-10-25, 01:02 PM
Powerful build wouldn't prevent the armor from being destroyed. You can wield weapons a size larger, and be treated as large for some things. Your armor size wouldn't change.

I think there is a Half-Ogre template out there that is +1 or +2 LA but gives you large size. I think there is a similar Half-Minotaur template but it is in a Dragon Mag (I don't have access to Dragon Magazine).

azule74
2007-10-25, 01:08 PM
Oh crap you are right about the powerful build. I guess I will need to go and look at a Lg Creature then. thanks.

Townopolis
2007-10-25, 01:09 PM
By RAW (mentioned because it may be a little...) You can become large by spending money as follows.

A 9th level wizard can cast 5th level spells, making that the minimum for this combo.

under equipment:

spell cast: 1st level = caster level x10 gp (90)
spell cast: 5th level = caster level x50 gp (450)

permanent enlarge person: 540 gp

But, it also costs 500 xp from the caster, which under certain rules (I don't know which) you could bear for them, or could be bought at an uncertain rate of xp/gp.

It's also vulnerable to dispell magic

Amiria
2007-10-25, 01:12 PM
The equipment won't be destroyed. See the last point of the Alternate Form special quality:

Any gear worn or carried by the creature that can’t be worn or carried in its new form instead falls to the ground in its space. If the creature changes size, any gear it wears or carries that can be worn or carried in its new form changes size to match the new size. (Nonhumanoid-shaped creatures can’t wear armor designed for humanoid-shaped creatures, and vice versa.) Gear returns to normal size if dropped. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm)

azule74
2007-10-25, 01:16 PM
The equipment won't be destroyed. See the last point of the Alternate Form special quality:

Yes, but if you read the description it says that if your size increases any of your items that are being warn will be destroyed unless the item saves a DC 15 WILL save.

Jasdoif
2007-10-25, 01:17 PM
The equipment won't be destroyed. See the last point of the Alternate Form special quality:The lycanthrope's changing form ability had stipulations for the destruction of clothing and armor if it changed into a larger size, but it was removed by errata.

Omniplex
2007-10-25, 01:17 PM
You could just get armor that sizes with you. Wild armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#wild) is core, though it's a +3 adjustment, so a minimum of 16000 gp, but Complete adventurer includes.... never mind, that really only works for druids. and I suppose tecnically by raw Wild only works for druids too. But it's not overpowering to let lycantropes use it too. Maybe you should talk to your DM about letting you use Wild armor.

azule74
2007-10-25, 01:25 PM
The lycanthrope's changing form ability had stipulations for the destruction of clothing and armor if it changed into a larger size, but it was removed by errata.

Where was it removed? I am interesed in looking at this.

Jasdoif
2007-10-25, 01:31 PM
Where was it removed? I am interesed in looking at this.You can get all the official errata here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a). The one for the Monster Manual is what you want, because that's where lycanthrope was presented.

The section in question is:

Lycanthrope

Monster Manual, page 176 and 178

Replace the first sentence of the Alternate Form entry with the following text:
A lycanthrope can assume the form of a specific animal (as indicated in its entry).

Changing Form: Eliminate sentences 3, 4, and 5 (from “Changing to animal or hybrid form…” to “…on a DC 15 Fortitude save.”The bit on "changing form" removes the entire piece on item destruction.

Changing to animal or hybrid form ruins the character’s armor and clothing (including any items worn) if the new form is larger than the character’s natural form; carried items are simply dropped. Characters can hastily doff clothing while changing, but not armor. Magic armor survives the change if it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save.