PDA

View Full Version : Does wandstrike have a point?

F.L.
2007-10-25, 07:47 PM
I mean, it sure doesn't seem to have one to me. Maybe it's just a feat they never playtested. If anybody can think of a use for it, I'd like to hear about it.

Frosty
2007-10-25, 07:51 PM
It sucks. don't use it. 1d6 damage in exchange for needing an ATTACK ROLL and being in melee? no thank you.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-25, 07:52 PM
Sneak Attack?

F.L.
2007-10-25, 08:10 PM
It specifically says you can't add sneak dice, or strength bonus, or anything else like that. Also, it is a standard action to do it, not an attack.

Kurald Galain
2007-10-26, 04:18 AM
Perhaps duskblades?

mostlyharmful
2007-10-26, 05:14 AM
for all those who actively want to gymp their character? either to "enhance the roleplay" or cause they're a full caster and thus are overshadowing. and even then there are better feats to add fluff with:smallconfused: not a clue really. Maybe the designers thought that d4 no armour casters might like the chance to be useful in combat:smalltongue:

Kaelik
2007-10-26, 05:15 AM
Perhaps duskblades?

Duskblades already have a much better version called Greatsword+Arcane Strike.

2d6 + 1 1/2 Str + Spell vs 1d6 + Spell? I know which one I want.

bbugg
2007-10-26, 07:35 AM
If it's a standard action, not an attack, can you maintain your invisibility while striking?

I know - it's a stretch...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-26, 09:19 AM
It is more than a stretch.

I may not be an attack action, but it is still an attack just like you would probably call being scorched by a Dragon's breath an attack. :smallamused:

Person_Man
2007-10-26, 09:39 AM
I think its a good feat to add a new tactical twist to certain encounters.

Enemies with wands are very powerful who can sometimes take out entire parties if they get lucky. By giving your enemy Wandstrike (and poor Wisdom, so that they use it) you force them to get into melee, making them easier targets for the PCs.

It also just "looks" cool. For example, I could have a Magmin with 4 levels of Warlock and a Wand of Fireball use Wandstrike to try and physically hit a PC, bursting into flames every time he does so.

But from a player's perspective, I agree with everyone else. It's a waste of a feat.

Kurald Galain
2007-10-26, 09:55 AM
Duskblades already have a much better version called Greatsword+Arcane Strike.

Yes, but could not wandstrike be argued to stack with the duskblade ability? Thus giving you 1d6 damage + wand spell + duskblade spell, simultaneously?

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-26, 10:01 AM
Also isn't WandStrike a Touch Attack?

I am AFB right now, but does WandStike say anything about Critical Hits with said spell?

Frosty
2007-10-26, 10:01 AM
No. Channeling your spell thru your weapon is either a standard action or a fullround action, depending on which one you wish to use. Wandstrike is also a standard action. You can't combine both.