PDA

View Full Version : Bard Spells

CrazedGoblin
2007-10-28, 04:32 AM
Ive finally got level 1 bard after 5 levels of monstrous humanoid, now i know cantrips arnt much to look at but i was wondering what books contain some funky looking bard cantrips so i can make it worth his while.

and also my first feat will be extra music, is this a good idea?. :smallbiggrin:

PlatinumJester
2007-10-28, 05:23 AM
It's all about detect ghost from Ghostwalk :smallbiggrin:.

Change your alignment to NG (since we're playing Eberron it doesn't matter) and get the Words of Creation feat and then use Celestial Choir.

CaptainSam
2007-10-28, 08:39 PM
Surely you should be seeking "Funky-sounding" cantrips as a bard?

There's one you should never be without, and that's Summon Instrument. You don't then have to worry about lugging around a valuable instrument that might get broken. If it does, make sure you have Mend.

Ghost Sound is also very useful to provide spooky sound effects for a story or song. Add lighting with Dancing Lights and you don't need roadies. Prestidigitation is good for impressing the locals. Oh, and keeping your gear clean!

Finally, you should never be without Light. While you may have torches and lanterns and darkvision et cetera, there's always a use for this old gem.

Case in point: the party was attacked by Drow at night. We knew generally where they were, so I cast Light on an arrow. The Ranger shot a Drow with it, they immediately turned on him to extinguish the light, thereby making better targets of themselves!

As far as feats go, Extra Music is a good one if you're planning of going the support role. Obscure Lore will allow you to pull the most bizarre facts out of thin air. Weapon Finesse is good for the whip-users out there, but I took a level in Fighter to get that.

It all depends on the campaign, personal style and what niches are filled by other members of the party.

Chronos
2007-10-28, 09:27 PM
There's one you should never be without, and that's Summon Instrument. You don't then have to worry about lugging around a valuable instrument that might get broken. If it does, make sure you have Mend.Or you could just use Sing for your performances. The only advantage to an instrument is it can be masterwork, but the one summoned by the spell isn't.

But I'll agree wholeheartedly with Prestidigitation. Nobody should ever pass up an opportunity to get that spell.

Temp
2007-10-29, 01:48 AM
Just the ability to call a substancial object out of thin air can have utility in certain situations. So if you're lacking a cantrip, Summon Instrument can still be fairly useful.

Miles Invictus
2007-10-29, 02:34 AM
Heh. Back that up with Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Mouthbow), and you'll never be without a weapon. A ranged weapon, at that. :smallbiggrin:

Rad
2007-10-29, 03:02 AM
Ive finally got level 1 bard after 5 levels of monstrous humanoid, now i know cantrips arnt much to look at but i was wondering what books contain some funky looking bard cantrips so i can make it worth his while.

and also my first feat will be extra music, is this a good idea?. :smallbiggrin:

Your first feat? You should already have 2 from your monstrous humaniod HD.
Feats and stat increments are based on your HD, not levels, so you should have already 2 feats (1st and 3rd HD) and one stat increment (4th HD). Now you get the 6th HD as a class level and get feat number 3.

Darrin
2007-10-29, 08:24 AM

See if you can track down Dragon #302, and take a look at "A Clutch of Cantrips". There's a 0-level cantrip in there called "resize", which allows you to take a non-magical weapon or armor and increase/decrease the size by one category. Here's the kicker: it's permanent. Set yourself up as a tailor/armorsmith, or just play pranks on your friends.

It depends on what you're using your bardic music for. If you're going the Snowflake Wardance route, then yes, you'll need more music. If you're just buffing your buddies in combat... I'd look for something that'll get more use.

CrazedGoblin
2007-10-29, 11:01 AM
Your first feat? You should already have 2 from your monstrous humaniod HD.
Feats and stat increments are based on your HD, not levels, so you should have already 2 feats (1st and 3rd HD) and one stat increment (4th HD). Now you get the 6th HD as a class level and get feat number 3.

yep i got those two feats, i should of said first feat as bard hehe, i chose pointblank shot as im a spear thrower and thoughness

Raolin_Fenix
2007-10-29, 12:28 PM
As far as spells go, if you didn't take Inspirational Boost (Complete Adventurer), you are a silly person.

Keld Denar
2007-10-29, 12:37 PM
As far as spells go, if you didn't take Inspirational Boost (Complete Adventurer), you are a silly person.

Insp Boost is a 1st level bard spell, so he won't get it until Bard2. That said, if you don't take Insp Boost at Bard2, see above name calling...

(Insp Boost(CV) is a swift 1st level spell that increases the bonus of your bardsong by 1)

PlatinumJester
2007-10-29, 01:00 PM
Insp Boost is a 1st level bard spell, so he won't get it until Bard2. That said, if you don't take Insp Boost at Bard2, see above name calling...

(Insp Boost(CV) is a swift 1st level spell that increases the bonus of your bardsong by 1)

Who needs that when you have Words of Creation :smallwink:.

Iudex Fatarum
2007-10-29, 02:30 PM
it means that at 2nd levle you can give a +4 to attack and damage rolls. which i think is worth while.