PDA

View Full Version : Style Feats

DiscipleofBob
2007-10-28, 01:00 PM
I was working on a concept for my campaign setting to better represent the martial arts concept: basically Style Feats which work like legacy weapons in that they gain more features as you level up with them.

I proposed this idea to my roommate and he said he'd seen this exact concept in a book, but he can't remember the name.

Anyone out there know what I'm talking about or know the name to said book?

Crow
2007-10-28, 01:37 PM
Only thing I can think of would be the style feats in Complete Warrior that gave you situational bonuses for using specific weapons or combinations of weapons (like dagger and axe). They didn't scale with level though.

mostlyharmful
2007-10-28, 01:57 PM
It's a good idea, have them available at first and people can only have the one. Then as they scale you have a character with a recognizable style with whatever weapons they use. Certainly beats the doldrums of charge, charge, power attack, power attack, full attack, charge, etc,. etc.,

You could also add in that they take penalties on using weapons and styles oppossed to their style feat because that isn't what they're focused on. Fighters with two-handed wrecker style takes penalties on using bows, whirlwind style might lower two weapon fighting penalties but it lowers their proficiencies with shields, or their power attack with a two handed weapon isn't doubled type of thing. Nothing that penalizes them for going with their thing but lowers their options outside that.

Yakk
2007-10-28, 02:05 PM
There was a bunch of work done on this kind of progressive feat.

It takes a huge amount of effort to actually redo any appreciable number of feats, however.

DiscipleofBob
2007-10-30, 06:23 PM
Hm... doesn't seem like anyone has seen this in any of the books. Oh well, more fun for me really. I planned on HBing my own style feats anyway. The ToB looked like a good idea to start getting ideas for styles.

Here's a question. If this idea WERE implemented into some random splatbook, what kinds of styles should be included? I was going to try to pick several good "real-world" styles and then just name them something different.

cupkeyk
2007-10-30, 06:26 PM
So its like complicated power attack?

Fax Celestis
2007-10-30, 06:35 PM
Hm... doesn't seem like anyone has seen this in any of the books. Oh well, more fun for me really. I planned on HBing my own style feats anyway. The ToB looked like a good idea to start getting ideas for styles.

Here's a question. If this idea WERE implemented into some random splatbook, what kinds of styles should be included? I was going to try to pick several good "real-world" styles and then just name them something different.

This might be a good place to start.

codexgigas
2007-10-30, 06:55 PM
Oriental Adventures had martial arts fighting styles. Unlike 3.5's fighting style feats, you gain the bonuses on a marital arts style when you "master" all of the associated feats. I'm not sure how balanced that is in 3.5, where feats have replaced these automatic bonuses, but the bonuses aren't as good as the additional attack options the style feats give.

Quietus
2007-10-30, 06:59 PM
There was a bunch of work done on this kind of progressive feat.

It takes a huge amount of effort to actually redo any appreciable number of feats, however.

Rather than changing existing feats, why not make them feats you pick up at a later time, similar to the Tactics feats or existing Style feats, but have them work in a method similar to the Savvy Rogue feat. For example, you could have the "Two-handed rager" style, which requires Power Attack, Leap Attack, and Shock Trooper. It increases the damage bonus you get from Power Attack by an additional 1 for every 5 BAB you give up, increases your crit multiplier when using Leap Attack, and does something else to provide a minor benefit to your Shock Trooper stuff.

They'd requires a large BAB, and some might require a good deal of Fighter levels - which would also be the ones that require a lot of feats, like the full TWF and TWD line of feats, for example. Could work out well, but I can't be bothered to homebrew them myself.

Stormcrow
2007-10-30, 08:40 PM
I met a DM once who allowed players to describe to him what they wanted to do and he made it work in the game (read: Barkskin as a feat for a born of the earth style druid) it got me thinking. In this case (as I plan to) I'd have the character in question describe to me what they want to be able to do with their weapon, shoot me but with a RL example if possible. And then assign a feat cost, if its small, one feat, if its larger split it up into different techniques that make it up. *shrugs* In my homebrew there is a nation of mercenaries and every clan has a diferent specific fighting/tactic/weapon style. The elders reward people who find new ways to use their ancestral knowledge.

Suzuro
2007-10-30, 09:03 PM
These ideas seem like good ideas, but I thought I saw something along a similar lines, eh, with my twisted mental capabilities, I never know what I remember and what I make up. Anyways, Kudos on making stuff like this, and good luck.

-Suzuro