PDA

View Full Version : Fun things a party doesn't get enough of

Accersitus
2007-10-29, 08:33 PM
I wanted to start a post of things a D&D party doesn't do a lot, but can be very fun to play out.

Last session, my group got to play wise sages who had to give cryptic deep advice to a ruler(later it turned out that the ruler should have been dead for 200 years, the party has mostly been in a large forest away from most civilized lands). We were supposed to give deep cryptic comments on the will of the rulers father. We had some quite good laughs from some of our words of wisdom pulled straight from the ass.
Can't wait to find out what was up with the ruler, and if our advice had any influence.

Sonofaspectre
2007-10-29, 11:01 PM
Last session was really keen like that, too. I mean, sure, we had the standard Dragon-slaying moment and the fight the tons of summoned monsters, as well as a classic assassination-of-the-king moment, but the REAL thing that Party's never get enough of is ... dress up.

I mean, we spent probably two hours on clothing alone. The barbarian (who tricked me into letting him sleep with two very hot women with his charisma of 5 ... he later found a soulmate with CHAR 5 just like him, but that is a different story) was the happiest, as he has been practicing taxidermy for fun while we've been going along, so we've turned all sorts of things into a great new outfit, including - but not limited to - a codpiece made of a goblin skull, jaw bone still attached, with black velvet and leather behind it. Now he shakes his junk around, making his codpiece "talk," saying the prayer of his god: "Blood for the Blood God!" I swear, no one could stop laughing.

A party can never have as much fun as when they get to a new city and have to go to a banquet and need new clothes!

MCerberus
2007-10-29, 11:06 PM
The plot hooks while the party is at the tavern usually come too early for any real drinking contests.

Gamebird
2007-10-29, 11:06 PM
Having an actual conversation with an irrelevant NPC, rather than a dice roll, or the DM staring at you dumbly saying, "Uh... I don't know what he'd say. Can we just move on to something more important?"

Doresain
2007-10-29, 11:56 PM
pretending to be the prince of a nation that was wiped out...while kidnapping gnomish merchants and jumping off of trains

The VP
2007-10-30, 12:18 AM
Last session my party arrived in a new city, after being out at sea for a couple weeks. They got to go shopping and spend all their ill-begotten loot. They also got to spend time in the library and temples, had dinner with the lord of the city (complete with additional shopping, since they needed clothes fancy enough to meet the lord), and rounded out the night by getting attacked by, and subsequently killing, the rogue's older brother.

Dausuul
2007-10-30, 07:28 AM
Having an actual conversation with an irrelevant NPC, rather than a dice roll, or the DM staring at you dumbly saying, "Uh... I don't know what he'd say. Can we just move on to something more important?"

Hmm, your DM's improv-fu must be terribly weak. Most DMs I've played under could at least manage to play out a conversation that conveys "this guy is irrelevant and has nothing of interest to say, but I'll humor you." The best DMs can throw themselves into playing Mr. Irrelevant NPC and make him seem cool and interesting (and then find a way to work him into the story later on).

SoD
2007-10-30, 08:04 AM
Or a really annoying player can get talking with random unstatted NPC, work out that he has nothing to do with the story, and convince him to join the party. After getting him addicted to an illegal substance and ruining his marriage and buying his hat off him, of course.

Prophaniti
2007-10-30, 11:29 AM
We took over a gatehouse as our party hq, then we conscripted some of the local goblin populace to run a distillery that specialized in Fungus Beer! Are you Green enough?

Gamebird
2007-10-30, 12:13 PM
Most DMs I've played under could at least manage to play out a conversation that conveys "this guy is irrelevant and has nothing of interest to say, but I'll humor you."

That's pretty much what I'm talking about. The DM can make up a conversation that bores the hell out of the PCs immediately. That's not fun for anyone. As you say, "The best DMs can throw themselves into playing Mr. Irrelevant NPC and make him seem cool and interesting (and then find a way to work him into the story later on)." Exactly. And people just can't get enough of that.

Thinker
2007-10-30, 02:35 PM
My parties have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/782/cowbellbt8.jpg

Fiery Justice
2007-10-30, 03:06 PM
Starting a non-violent revolution. No one ever tries this.

Gamebird
2007-10-30, 03:12 PM
Starting a non-violent revolution. No one ever tries this.

Yeah, Gandhi had a lock on that one. He posed the question, which is braver: to fly at your opponent with a weapon and hope you harm him before he harms you, or to stand resolutely and allow your enemies to strike at you, knowing that they can harm your body, but never your heart?

Leicontis
2007-10-30, 03:29 PM
Don't forget using high-powered PC abilities, including powerful spells, for juvenille practical jokes on random NPCs...