PDA

View Full Version : The Quintessential Monk

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-01, 12:09 AM
Has anyone done a compilation of monk fixes/variants/homebrew etc?

If not, let's give it a shot. Post a link to your monk fix/variant/PrC/feat/special weapon/etc., and I will keep them organized in the first post.

Monk "Fixes":

Grand Master of Flowers (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=9483486&postcount=3) by K

Monk "Quick Fixes"

-Make Flurry of Blows a standard action
-Give Monk Full BAB

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-01, 12:10 AM
Saving space in case needed.

Snadgeros
2007-11-01, 01:09 AM
The only one I've come up with is to make flurry a standard action. It's the best ability he has, comparable to a barbarian's rage or a rogue's sneak attack, yet he takes a full-round action to do it, completely crippling it. I mean, unless you have an enemy surrounded, you're not going to be able to pull it off more than once, they'll just move and attack you ranged.:smallmad:

The Professor
2007-11-01, 01:57 AM
We always get stumped when trying to think of a good fix for the monk, so we just quick-fix it with Full BAB.

Snadgeros, that's not a bad idea. I'll see if that helps our games any.

Aquaseafoam
2007-11-01, 02:14 AM
My Idea, which I haven't gotten around to doing yet, was to give them limited martial manuevers.

Goumindong
2007-11-01, 02:15 AM
I like the PHB II alternate class feature fix.

Xuincherguixe
2007-11-01, 05:56 AM
As a nice strange one, how about partial casting, like a Paladin or Ranger?

its_all_ogre
2007-11-01, 06:45 AM
flury as standard action, same as two weapon fighting in my games.
i also base all of a monks combat stuff straight off wisdom rather than strength.
basically a monk uses pressure points and clever holds rather than brute force. so wisdom adds to hut rolls, damage rolls, grapple checks etc which makes it nice in synergy and reduces MAD.
playing around with giving them full bab too.
bear in mind that they still need str 13 to use power attack though.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-11-01, 07:31 AM
House ruling certain combat abilities such as grapple or disarm use either DEX or STR, depending on the character, has helped the monks we have played. I prefer the Decisive Strike feature in the PHBII instead of Flurry myself. the Initiate of Pistis Sophia (BoED) is a decent class. In Dragon 331 I beleive, there is the Sidewinder Monk; it is more of a 'less than perfecly Good' Monk. Sneak attack, bonuses to Intimidate and Bluff, fangs, etc.

Also there is a 3rd edition (easy to update to 3.5) monk book called The Quintessential Monk, from Mongoose publishing. Utterly fantastic book. I thought that was what this thread was about :confused: