PDA

View Full Version : review of Ghost

Mr White
2007-11-01, 07:41 AM
I start by saying that I’ve only read until issue 18 so I can only share my opinion about those first few comics.

First a few words about the art work: the art is certainly decent. The framing, style and perspectives are all what one should expect but nothing spectacular about it. Something I might (to easily) generalise as typical for the comic scene it came from.

Now about the feel of this title:
I’m very disappointed by the comic. There are just too much inconsistencies, bad writing and cheap tricks involved.
The world of ghost seems to be a radical feminist point of view in a macho mans world. All men are perverts with rape on their mind while all the women have the perfect measurements with a D cups. Ghost is the paramount of this as she despises anyone with both X and Y chromosomes but she still prances around in a bodysuit with a cleavage you could lose your wallet in.
Her powers, actions and past is used as a superficial reason for the story. Villains seem to have no other reasons then jealousy, cheap revenge or to torment Ghost. She is being hunted just because she exists while she lives in a world full of ‘paranormals’ with at least 4 people with the same powers.
In the 19 issues I read so far (18 + 1 special) there have been have been at least 3 cameos and an announced team-up with hellboy. I can understand the need for such measures from an economical point of view but it just shows how weak this title is story wise. Furthermore there was little reason for King tiger or Barb wire to be there.

The story itself is in my opinion just there to show as much erotic images as possible. How else can you explain the sheer amount of certain poses, shots and situations.
I’m used to sex in art, comics, movies, … and can appreciate it but there is a line between where sex in those media gives some surplus value and where sex is just a way to sell said medium. The sheer frequency of those poses, shots and situations alone indicates the latter. For example a murder of passion is shown where the ex-lover interrupts a couple in the ‘act’. This was relevant to Ghost as they were al persons that could’ve told her about her past life. The only thing however that was shown was their death and the few moments before but nothing about Ghosts search for them. You can clearly see what was important to the writers.

Conclusion:
I read in one of the readers mails that he was pleased he found this comic for adults. I hate to disappoint that person, but Ghost is more a comic for horny teenagers. Just a series of erotic images held together by a flimsy, inconsistent excuse for a story.

Mr White
2007-11-03, 12:36 PM
Well, I didn't expect a lot of replies but not absolutly none.

I realize I was negative about 'Ghost' but I stand by my opinion. I have to stress the fact that it is my opinion and I respect others that have another opinion. I would, however, like to hear why you have a similar or different opinion. No one ever got dumber from a polite debate.

There are three things I find most important in a comic. The concept, the story and the atmosphere. If I like two of those three things than I'll probably like that comic book title.
I started reading Ghost after I read the team-up with Hellboy. I thought I would like. I however discovered that I neither liked the atmosphere, the story or the concept.

The story:
The story is just full of holes, easy assumptions, inconsistencies and weird plot twists. And all those things seem to be there as a reason for something erotic. A pose, a costume, a situation, ...
If a story involves a plan to escape a group of naked men by making out with your female compagnon, you can pretty much say that that story is rather unlogical. Ghost finds herself to often in such situations. We had a guy who could stimulate the part in your brain that made you want to have sex with somebody, than we had a guy who did the same thing with pheromones, ...

The atmosphere:
Like I said nothing special. The art nouveau drawings on the cover and later at the end of the book were great. Incorporating that in Arcadia would make it stand out of other cities in comic books. Now everything is just bland to me.

The concept:
That was the thing that made me read the comic in the first place. A character that's between death and living with all the powers of a ghost. Great. The problem is that the writer tries to give the reader a womens point of view while utterly failing to do so (even a twisted PoV).