PDA

View Full Version : Regarding The Book Of Vile Darkness; Sacrifices

Collin152
2007-11-01, 06:34 PM
So, I was leafing through the book of vile darkness, and happened upon the part discussing ritual sacrifice. It says intelligent creatures can be sacrificed for yadda yadda yadda.
Why can't we sacrifice Rams, Cows, and Blondes to gainpower? Surely 300 of the finest Bulls in the nation is equivelant to one virgin. Sure, one soul is not worth another, but sheer numbers, people!

Fax Celestis
2007-11-01, 06:38 PM
Because sacrifice of non-intelligent creatures isn't evil. Ask the ancient Greeks.

Saph
2007-11-01, 06:41 PM
And if you're the kind of person who's willing to do any of the rituals in the BoVD, I doubt you're going to have many moral qualms about sacrificing people.

- Saph

Lochar
2007-11-01, 06:42 PM
Because the non-intelligent creature doesn't know that it's soul is about to be damned to the lowest reaches of hell, just so that your character can get divine effects for the day.

Stormcrow
2007-11-01, 06:45 PM
Because the souls of animals have no value to higher beings, the financial loss of the hundred best bulls has no value to them either. "Human" souls are a commodity on the outer planes, animal souls aren't. I always figured animals directly reincarnate into new animals when they die. The birth rate is high enough.

Duke Malagigi
2007-11-01, 07:08 PM
So, I was leafing through the book of vile darkness, and happened upon the part discussing ritual sacrifice. It says intelligent creatures can be sacrificed for yadda yadda yadda.
Why can't we sacrifice Rams, Cows, and Blondes to gainpower? Surely 300 of the finest Bulls in the nation is equivelant to one virgin. Sure, one soul is not worth another, but sheer numbers, people!

It's because the sacrifices in the Book of Vile Darkness are more like loyalty or ruthlessenss tests than they're like animal sacrifices. The more loyal and or ruthless you are the more you willing to sacrifice other sentient beings.