PDA

View Full Version : Anastrada: Tierra de los Reinos Seis [Setting]

Piedmon_Sama
2007-11-03, 06:35 PM
(This is a repost from a thread I started at the RPGnet forum. Response eventually died away before I finished working on this homebrew setting, so I'm hoping there will be participation allowing me to continue here).

Introduction:

The land of Anastrada--an isolated peninsula extending south from the continent of Adis--is an ancient place with a complex and labyrinthine history. Many peoples, human and otherwise, call this land home. Their struggles over the course of centuries have run through both triumph and ruin. Even in this modern age, 2000 years since the region enters the annals of civilization, it is a land that offers both danger and fortune to the bold.

I'll begin by reposting the basic setting ideas I started from, adding some of the later ideas that became tacked on. Following that is a large writeup I wrote for the role and function of each class in this setting. I hope the ideas are intriguing enough to my fellow posters that some idea exchange can occur. Thanks for reading through it all if you do, and if you don't I can't blame you. =p

Piedmon_Sama
2007-11-03, 06:44 PM
The Original Thoughts:

-Wheras my last game took place in the extreme west of a continent during an Ice Age, isolated by the sea on one side and seemingly endless barren plains on the other, my first thought to isolate the starting area of this setting was to make it a peninsula. The end adjoining to a continent could be screened by a chain of towering mountains, effectively isolating the peninsula and making its history more internalized. This immediately put me in mind of Spain, isolated from Europe by the pyranees, with its own long history of strife between kingdoms and the epic reconquista.

-With the more Hispanized setting, I perceived an opportunity to utilize some more unique demihuman options than the standard. While Elves, Dwarves and Orcs evoke a more Anglo-Germanic, Tolkienesque feel, I wanted my "Spain" to have a different cultural milleu.

-The first thing I thought of were the Goliaths from Races of Stone. Powerful even in small numbers, they could be ideally placed in the foothills of my northern mountains as an additional deterrance to travelers. Not necissarily evil, the Goliath culture highlights sportsmanship as their prime cultural value. I can see them challenging travelers to physical contests ranging from ball games to lethal duels in order to prove one's mettle. In this instance, they serve an analogous role to the Basque kingdom of medieval Spain as a small but extremely hardcore population of outsiders who happen to occupy a very inconvenient geographical position.

-One of the reasons Spain is an interesting locale is its geographical diversity. It straddles the cooler, northern hemisphere and the more tropical south, with dry deserts sharing space with lush forests and verdant agricultural areas. (In this way, it's not so unlike my own Oregon). When you think tropical areas, of course, Lizardmen are the first thing to come to mind. (I realise "Lizardfolk" is the official term, but I say -men out of habit, especially since "folk" makes me think of reptillian country singers, sorry). Immediately, I thought of a powerful Lizardman kingdom in the south; I hate how Lizardmen are typically portrayed as ultra-primitives and a marginal race. I'd love to see them as a much stronger competitor to the warm-blooded humans. In this milleu, the Lizardmen could play an analogous role to the Arabs and Moors of Spain and North Africa; a powerful, advanced alien culture living right next door, with a definite tension between two civilizations in the background.

-In order to give my Lizardmen more of an edge, I wanted them to have something unique to bring to the table. So I thought I could do this by making them a Psionic Race. So to the list of their abilities, I add "Naturally Psionic," granting them a bonus Power Point from first level. Of course, the Psionic classes will only be available to Lizardmen, and for that matter I want to use the "Psionics are Different" option to emphasize their alieness. Of course this means fights between Lizardmen manifesters and warm-blooded casters are short and bloody. (This idea was ultimately nixed for game balance issues).

-Further thinking on the Lizardman culture makes me want to extend the themes of their advancement and simultaneous alienness. I'm considering giving them such advancements as detailed astronomy (complete with arcane-looking observatory spires), and natural antibiotics (certain organisms cultivated in designated swampland). I want them to have no deity, but instead a philosophical system based around meditation and mental honing towards self-improvement, fitting in with the Psionics theme. The Lizardmen could even be an atheist people, with a naturalist explanation of the world, to further clash with the warmbloods. Also, I could suggest that the peninsular Lizardmen are, like the historical Almoravids, a "broken branch"of a vast and ancient Empire extending to multiple continents.

-As a wholly background thing, I have a vague notion of a "Paladin Kingdom" north of the mountains. Sort of a Merovingian Empire, the power of the continent, in contrast to my isolated nest of broken kingdoms. Since D&D invites more of a mid-Renaissance feel though, I picture them as more Middle-French, with a highly religious society inspired by a Joan of Arc, saint-like figure. (I really like the story of Joan, personally). Their zeal makes them dangerous even if they are Lawful and Good, as their "Paladin King" may not be above liberating lands he judges to be immorally ruled. This brings a quiet menace to the atmosphere of my peninsula--at least to the politically astute.

-Finally, I need to give my thoughts on the setting's humans themselves. It was a serious question for me whether to have there be one kingdom with a lot of internal politics or multiple squabbling kingdoms. Ultimately I've decided to try for a combination of both; there is one clearly powerful kingdom riven with rivalry between its Royal Houses. Then there are a number of smaller kingdoms--maybe even tiny republics--who defiantly hold to their independance on the fringes of hte peninsula. As far as the largest kingdom goes, it should primarily hold the West, where the most lucrative ports are, and thus it draws its wealth from expansive trade abroad. There should, of course, be a Church, and I know I don't want to use the standard PHB Pantheon (I never do). I don't know yet if I want the Church's headquarters outside the Peninsula (as per Rome) or in the region, or if they should be Monotheist or what.

-As far as the history of the region is concerned, I am again thinking of cribbing from Iberia's past, this time in the ancient era. Colonists from a now-gone, Iron Age empire first came to the peninsula approximately 2,000 years ago. They encountered primitive tribes of humans wandering the plains of the peninsula, as well as making first contact with the startlingly advanced Lizardmen. But the colonists soon discovered to their horror, like in the old story by H.G Wells, that the human tribes were literally being kept by the carnivorous reptiles as cattle. A war followed, with the humans ultimately driving the Lizardmen into the south and establishing cities over the peninsula.

Ultimately, of course, the old Empire falls. The Provincials living in the Peninsula aren't effected too much; they're isolated by the mountains and the sea, and the land is bountiful. The local Prelate continues to run a centralized government for a few centuries, until a plague decimates the populace. (Yes, Clerics can Cure Disease. However, if the plague is truly virulent, there may simply not be enough of them.) Or more than decimates---perhaps casualties are as bad as 25%, especially amongst commoners and peasants. With a much-reduced workforce, fields go fallow and famine follows the plague. Society breaks down, with the central government losing control and the major cities reorganizing into new kingdoms.

Other consequences of this are the revival of the old "folk religions." These always held on in isolated communities, but the pagan rites of the old tribal natives experience a resurgance in popularity after what people perceive as the Church's failure. (Yes, this means Druids. Probably the native Peninsulars will have a very strongly Celtic feel in their traditions and practices). There will be a lot of dual-faith going on in the country, with peasants attending Church on Sunday (or whatever) and participating in the Druidic rituals on certain dates. The Church will, of course, retain an iron grip on the metropolitan areas.

Somewhere along the line, steel gets developed. One of the coastal cities becomes incredibly wealthy, and begins to establish its hold on surrounding communities, until it is a mighty kingdom while the others remain feudal city-states or peasant commonwealths.

-A key thing I want to emphasize in this setting is the ruins of the old Lizardman culture. Their bizarre (cyclopean?) architectural style was unsettling to the human conquerors, who left the cities the Lizards abandoned to rot. After 2,000 years, only the grand stoneworks of the Lizardmen remain; palaces, observatories, and "monasteries" of the ascetics. Any of these could hold ancient wonders of the advanced people, if hardy adventurers can suck down their fear (all ruins have, of course, gained an evil reputation) and brave the ghost cities.

-Again, giving a preferance to Southern rather than Northern European mythology, I can draw from the Greco-Roman body for ideas as well. Satyrs, Centaurs, Nymphs and Dryads should all have a place in the setting. Perhaps a prominent role in the Druidic religion actively banned by the Church? It's a cliche, but for a good reason. Something about Satyrs in particular, I like. It may be the fact I recently saw Pan's Labyrinth, but I'm seeing them as another option for a Player Character race if I can drop their ECL a bit.

Later Developments:

-The Kenku from MMIII could also find an interesting niche in this setting as a wandering, nomadic people. Much like the classical Roma of Europe, they congregate in roving bands of extended families centered around a caravan. They are a people with no known origin, who practice exotic magic (some of it true, some of it mere tricks to separate gullible peasants from their coins). These ugly, flightless Crow-Men are generally looked down upon and reviled by society, and considered a menace by the Church. Those not roving the country live in ghettoed neighborhoods in the big cities, or in secret "roosts" often hidden in the spires and towers of a big city. Though the Kenku seem to be a blighted people, they have their own secret protectors, versed not only in combat but their exotic fate-altering magic: the Hexblade.

-The Satyrs, with some abilities dropped off for a more standard PC choice, are a key but subtle player in Anastrada. They rule the deep and trackless forests that fill much of the country's north, and have lived in the peninsula since before the coming of men or lizardmen (or so they claim). Worshipping a mysterious figure called Father Jove, the Satyrs are tricksters and supernatural dealers who are commonly confused with demons in the average commoner's mind. (Pan's Labyrinth will indeed be a heavy influence in my treatment of them, I think).

-As per a suggestion from a close friend of mine, there must be some kind of "pretty race." For the kids. I was thinking perhaps using Avariels as a kind of "Angelic" race, stripping them of the Elf connection.... but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the social ramifications of having "Angeles" living within sight of human communities.

-I've crystallized into a compromise between having one monolithic kingdom with lots of internal strife and many small, squabbling states. As the title suggests, Anastrada is a land of six human kingdoms (with the Church forming a seventh player in the balance of power). The largest and most important of these will be Bonpuerto (a corruption of the Spanish for "Beautiful Port.") As the name suggests, Bonpuerto fills up most of the peninsula's west coast and controls much of the shipping and international trade. As a result, they are easily the wealthiest of all countries and as an added factor the Church takes its seat within their capital city (although the Church is nominally unaligned with any nation).

The other "kingdoms" are actually a mix of petty dukedoms and stubborn all-peasant republicans who struggle just to stay afloat, while wealthy Bonpuerto's government is buried in intrigues--the royals, the Church, the new mercantile and tradesmen guilds, and to a lesser extent the Magi Academies (more on them in the class sections later) are all players in the big cities along the coast. Things are incredibly cut-throat at this level, although most mid to lower-tier government officials in small towns and keeps throughout the countryside do go about their jobs honestly and honorably.

-That "Big Paladin Kingdom" up north is taking more and more of its own character. I've decided their leader is a zealous young woman who is revered as a "Living Saint" by her people (three guesses what historical figure she's based on) and driven to create an "Enlightened Kingdom" free of evil and struggle across the land. To give it a slightly more unique spin than just another quasi-Catholic superstate, I'm giving its local religion a lot of elements loaned out of Zen Buddhism or Islamic Sufi Mysticism: eradication of the self and achievement of a state of "enlightened being" are object goals of the religion, to which end eradicating evil is but one step on the path.

-While the Goliaths are a notably jocular and upbeat people (for being so disturbingly violent), their origins take a turn much more sinister. Going back to the super-advanced state of the long-vanished Lizardman Empire, I attributed to them some genetic experiments that ultimately spawned the Goliaths; originally they were created to be a slave race. The Goliaths have their own legends about how they came into the world, but they are really just an overgrown gene-project. Of course any Goliath who heard this would reject it as outright nonsense; it shouldn't be common knowledge to any humans in the setting and I don't think even the average Lizardman should know (it is ancient history to them, after all).

Piedmon_Sama
2007-11-03, 07:05 PM
The Barbarian: The human lands of Anastrada are highly developed, and give little reign to a barbarian's love for wild freedom. However, in the extreme south and north, as well as in the central high desert, the grip of civilization is still weak. The only men that dwell here are rough frontiersmen, or those who have purposely distanced themselves from cultivated society, and some of these may be Barbarians. Among the Goliaths in the northwestern hills and mountains, barbarian is probably the most common class taken, due to their high value on strength and athleticism. The Barbarian's blunt tactics are not highly regarded amongst the subtle Satyrs, stealthy Kenku or intellectual Lizardmen, but a few oddballs might always crop up.
Races: Any
Mechanical Considerations: As Presented in PHB.

The Bard: The bardic tradition goes back thousands of years amongst the tribal peoples of northern Adis, whose lands became Provinces of the old Empire. In the ancient times, wandering from tribe-to-tribe, Bards were tale-tellers and tale-gatherers, holding all the lore of the land in their heads and serving as records and oracles for all the people. Today, wandering troubadors still collect (and often compose) lyrical tales, moving from city to city and playing here and there for various coins. Bards are troubadors or minstrels who can work a bit of magic into their playing, much as the Bards of old could magically enrapture an audience through the lyricism of sheer voice. They are often initially ill-trusted, and considered by many to have leanings towards the old, pagan times. However, such is the magic of the Bard that he can ingratiate himself most anywhere and win friends wherever he goes, so that a wandering musician or tale-teller is a welcome sight in any Anastradian tavern or keep. The ancient arts of tale-telling have spread to the Goliath and Satyr, who have their own centuries-old traditions, and many Kenku see the value of taking on a Bard's esteem.
Races: Human, Goliath, Satyr, Kenku
Mechanical Considerations: As Presented in PHB.

The Beguiler: The arts of the Beguiler find many uses in the lands of Anastrada. The ability to subtly weave magic, combined with old-fashioned guile and skill, is utilized by agents of the powerful Guilds in the big cities and by ambitious courtiers in the palaces quite often. There is no formal school of Beguiler training; their art is a highly personalized mix of different skills. Amongst the demihumans, the trickster Satyrs use the skills of this class quite often, and the nomadic Kenku have found it extremely useful in survival.
Races: Human, Satyr, Kenku
Mechanical Considerations: As Presented in PHBII.

The Cleric: Religion in Anastrada is a deeply serious matter. The Old Imperial Church is officially the region's only recognized religion, and civil arbiters and clergymen alike are dedicated to keeping it that way. Virtually all the peninsula's human citizens pay at least nominal homage to the Church, and virtually all Clerics are part of its organization. Unlike Arcane casters, Clerics are quite popular amongst the common populace--especially out in the smaller towns and villages, where their miraculous magic can be instrumental from fixing wagon wheels to repairing serious injuries. While the Church has a hard line against any unorthodox thought, most Clerics aren't focused on persecution, but try to help people. Nevertheless, within the dualistic faith of the Imperial Church, there is room for a Cleric of virtually any alignment and domain selection. Like Eberron, this capaign uses a "distant Gods" option to allow any difference in alignment between the Cleric and his patron (Eros is NG, Thanata TN). The Church at least tries to keep those of evil alignment out of any offices outside the Militant Orders. It should be noted that the Cleric class represents only a small, blessed number of the Imperial Church's clergy. Most pastors, friars and monks are simply commoners or experts.
Races: Human
Mechanical Considerations: As presented in PHB.

The Druid: While the Old Imperial Church is an integral part of the Peninsula's political establishment, and everyone pays homage to Lord Eros and Lady Thanata, amongst the countryside and small towns of Anastrada also lives a vital, rich tradition, or "folk religion." Beliefs commonly dismissed in the more metropolitan cities---as in creatures like Fairies, the intelligence of beasts or the intelligence of nature--are rife. Keepers, protectors and teachers of this faith are the Druids. They live wandering, solitary existences most of the time, keeping to the deep forests and hills, as anyone caught practicing the old druidic faith in Anastrada can expect to die in a Church dungeon. Fortunately, the animals, the trees, and the earth itself are their allies, and they mostly have an easy time of eluding the Church's goonsquads.

Aside from combating the "unnatural and foreign" faith, the Druids teach reverance for nature and the worship of the Gods who rule the harvests and the equinoxes, and the God of Fertility and the many rites to appease them all. However, no two Druids have an identical body of beliefs, as the old faith has been shattered for centuries and the old teachings are virtually lost. Nevertheless, any two Druids, regardless of alignment, will recognize each other as allies and fights between them are rare. The Satyrs, who venerate nature in their own way, also have a "druidic" tradition (not their word) dedicated to the service of Father Jove.
Races: Human, Satyr
Mechanical Considerations: As presented in the PHB.

The Fighter: There will always be a need for fighting men, in any place and time. All the countries of Anastrada have no shortage of mercenaries, elite soldiers, champions, bandits, assassins, knights---any of whom might be a Fighter. The Fighter's adeptness with various fighting techniques puts them in high demand as instructors to wealthy nobles; few of the many kings in Anastrada's history have gained their position without drawing steel and taking to the field at one point or another. While some of the demihumans are more martial than others, all have at least some traditions and techniques in armed combat that they pass down. It is not unheard of for a low-born mercenary or man-at-arms to be raised from the peerage for some great deed, and many is the Blacksmith's Apprentice dead on a field who fancied himself a Count in the making.
Races: Any

The Hexblade: The Kenku are a people with a mysterious history and no known point of origin other than their own fanciful tales. While no human believes these nomads' own account of their origin (as it clashes with Church dogma), that they wield a unique and distinct form of magic is undeniable. The "seers" of Kenku caravans often claim they can alter the course of fate and destiny by means of tea leaves, crystal balls, tarot cards and a number of different means. Mostly these are just ruses to separate gullible commoners from their copper, but amongst the Kenku resides an elite class of rare bird called Il I'R'iisheeor "The Protectors," but to humans they are known as Hexblades. These fighting Kenku demonstrate a serious ability to alter fate and chance in their favor, as they demonstrate when zealous watchmen or foolhardy brigands try to attack a caravan. Their unique ability to Curse their enemies is not understood by any magical college, and the Kenku are hardly forthcoming in sharing their secrets.
Races: Kenku
Mechanical Considerations: Hexblades in Anastrada possess Skill Point increases of 4 + Int Mod, and begin with 4 + Int Mod x 4. Appraise (Int), Disguise (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis) and Use Magic Device (Cha) are added as class skills. They receive a new, slightly quicker Spells/Day Progression. Their list of bonus feats now includes: Ability Focus (Hexblade's Curse), Arcane Strike, Skill Focus (Concentration), Skill Focus (Spellcraft), and Skill Focus (Use Magic Device). The Shadow Companion presented in PHBII is now a standard class feature, replacing the familiar (The Hexblade may choose a familiar instead of a Shadow Companion if he wishes).

The Knight: Knights in Anastrada represent that small percentage of the nobility who aim to make their fortune, reputation or position built on a career in armed violence. Contrary to the accusations of some, "Knight" is not an inherited position, though only those of noble blood may apply for the training. Knights form the elite units of their Kingdoms' armies in war, and in peacetime either revert to their professions as landlords and courtiers or "roam around the forest searching for fights" as one might say. In day-to-day life, Knights often carry a lot of authority over commoners, who often can't tell if the armored man demanding bread and board is from their own kingdom or a roving foreigner. Knights can use their status and granted arms for great justice or petty tyranny, but either way they are a cut above in the social strata of the land.
Race: Human
Mechanical Considerations: As written in PHBII.

The Paladin: The Paladin is the most rarely seen of all classes in Anastrada. The word itself has often changed meanings over time. In the ancient days, the Paladins were the elite bodyguards of the Emperor of the old Empire. The best fighters in a humongous Empire, they were commonly considered to be undefeatable, and were often used to crush revolts by marauding barbarians in the provinces. When the end of the Empire came, they stood before the gates of the Imperial Palace and fought to the death, creating a legend that has survived to this day.

Since then, a rare few thousand humans throughout the world are born every generation who receive "The Call." Some say these people hold the reincarnated spirit of the original Paladin Order, but who knows? Despite the divinations of many an earnest Cleric, "The Call" has never been traced back to the Divine Home of Lord Eros or the Twilight Palace of Lady Thanata, though most common folk think it so. Receiving The Call in boyhood, a Paladin is immediately aware of his destiny and either shirks it in fear or steps forward and takes his place in the legend. Paladins serve nothing more than the Ideals of Justice and Peace. They rarely organize, although a few informal bands of a dozen or so Paladins exist. They are barred from ever taking an official position or title of any sort, and would refuse if it were offered (they cannot by nature make the compromises such positions require). Nevertheless, Paladins are loved and admired by all common folk, who see them as living proof of Righteousness in the world. The Kings and Bishops are thus forced to tolerate them, or otherwise they would consider Paladins too much of a loose factor, beholden to nothing but their ideals.

Paladins have no formal means of training, but older ones generally seek out children who claim to have The Calling and after testing them, take them on as apprentices. The path of the Paladin is lonely and hard, but rarely is it long for they tend to die young.
Race: Human
Mechanical Considerations: The limiter on interacting with the Evil is ignored. If someone of Evil weal is no immediate threat, then the Paladin should see to converting them towards the path of Righteousness if such is at all possible.

The Ranger: Though the countries of Anastrada mostly occupy settled and cultivated land, there will always be a need for foresters and frontiersmen. A Ranger in Anastrada might be a royal tracker, militia scout, or simply a hermit who eschews the confinements of civilization. This set of skills is valuable to all races, and so Rangers are found amongst all peoples. Most Rangers come from a common background, but a few noblemen come to embrace the skills that come with hunting to the point where they find themselves preferring the woodlands to court. It is said that some Rangers can share in the pagan magic of the Druids to an extent, and indeed men who spend much time in the untamed wilds are ill-trusted back in more cosmopolitan and conservative regions. With so much of the wilds being the domain of the inhuman, how can those who wander in such places be trustworthy? Thus Rangers sometimes have an evil reputation in the "civilised" world, while on the frontier they are an appreciated and vital part of society as hunters and foragers.
Race: Any.
Mechanical Considerations: The nonmagical variant of Ranger presented in Complete Warrior is considered the standard version of the class. The spellcasting version of the PHB represents a "pagan" Ranger who would be condemned by the Church if his powers were discovered. The Favored Terrain alternate ability presented in Unearthed Arcana replaces Favored Enemy, and the Distracting Attack option presented in PHBII replaces the animal companion as the standard ability, with the companion as an option.

The Rogue: In Anastrada, Rogues are every bit as ubiquitous as Fighters, and just as in-demand. Guild operatives, royal agents, scouts and infiltrators, treasure hunters or simple con-men and criminals, all can be Rogues. The wealthy merchant and tradesmen guilds in the metropoli of the west are as influential on a local level as the goverment, and Rogues are usually the silent knife such organizations employ when obstacles need removing. "El Club de Viajeros Obstinados" (The Obstinate Travelers' Club) is an organization committed to plundering the ruins of the ancient Lizardmen and Satyr civilizations, despite their evil reputation, and many Rogues get their training in its guildhalls. A surprising number of Rogues find their way into the militaries of various kingdoms, although these are mostly Scouts or Spellthieves (see below). Amongst the demihumans, the satyrs often employ the skills of the Rogue in their byzantine plots, and the Kenku find them particularly useful for survival. Even the proud and martial Goliaths and Lizardmen count some Rogues in their number.

The Scout: The Scout is a much more militant version of the Ranger, and they mostly exist in army units. Unlike Knights, these Scout Regiments are full-time soldiers and are open to anyone's enlistment. Scouting parties are the only mixed-race units of any Anastradian military, with humans of different social classes mixing with Kenku, who find some acceptance and comradery here. A lone Scout is likely to either be a former soldier, or one currently on a solo mission, or perhaps somone expelled from the military. Non-soldier scouts are little distinguishable from Rangers and serve similar roles on the fringes of society. They can also be bandits or brigands who use the wilderness as shelter, or foragers for a Kenu caravan, or perhaps wardens of a Goliath tribe. The skills are known to all peoples of Anastrada.
Mechanical Considerations: As presented in Complete Adventurer

The Sorcerer: Sorcerers are a rare sight in Anastrada. This is at least partially due to the fact that the few Sorcerers who do exist are rarely eager to be known. For centuries in human society, Sorcerers have often been considered fiends in human skin and thusly persecuted. Often, Wizards are the ones leading these witch-hunts, for their institutions despise Sorcerers, feeling their natural gifts make a mockery of Wizards' hard work. Stringing up a Sorcerer may be one of the rare occasions where Wizards and Clerics see eye-to-eye. There are many offered explanations as to why Sorcerers exist. Divine and Infernal intervention is considered unlikely by the informed, as Arcane Magic is not bestowed by heaven or hell. Some postulate that in the days when the world was young, many now-near-mythical beasts such as Dragons and Titans walked the land, and their coupling with the mortals of that time still occasionally reverberate through the bloodlines of humanity. Druids offer the explanation that Sorcerers are born with a close tie to the Fairy World, and Druids often welcome Sorcerers into their circles. Among the Demihumans, Satyrs and Kenku can also sometimes spontaneously wield Arcane Magic, and unlike humans this gives them a respected position in society.
Race: Human, Satyr and Kenku.

The Spellthief: Throughout Anastrada, but in the powerful western kingdom of Bonpuerto in particular, the Mages are a formidable political power block. Their Arcane Academies are present in every major city, but isolated from the rest of the metropolitan area. The reclusive Wizards practice arcane experiments and train up young apprentices under the watchful eye of Archmagi, beings so rediculously powerful they seem like unto Gods to the unknowing eye. It galls the Royals of Anastrada to have any powerful force not under their control, but it would be suicidal to challenge the Mages directly. Still, some countermeasure was needed. The instuttion of the Spellthief goes back at least 900 years; originally it was a small and highly trained cadre of various thieves, treasure-hunters and other rogues who had become so used to handling magic items they were like informal mages themselves. They developed a technique of stealing the magical spells stored in a caster's very mind through their backstabbing skills, and thus the Royal Order of the Spelltheives was created, a limiter on the clout of the Wizards. Today the skillset of the Spelltheives are more widespread; Rogues being what they are, it wasn't long before someone sold out the secret techniques so they were no longer the royals' alone. Even the Lizardmen have a small number of Spellthieves ("his'Shrakar") to counter the humans' magic.
Mechanical Considerations: As presented in Complete Adventurer.

The Warlock: Warlocks come in two types. They are those who have sealed pacts with the infernal in exchange for a bit of fiendish power, or they are the descendants of those bargainers. The former are the hated enemies of the Church and society, fought mercilessly wherever they are exposed and hunted zealously to wherever they flee. The latter are pitied, called "cursed children" and isolated for their own good. Cursed children found by the Church (they are known by being able to manifest some infernal aura, expend some eldritch energy or detect magic at will) are taken in and sheltered from the world. Some whisper that El Patrňn uses these unfortunates as a personal assassination squad, but at least some are given to monasteries in the countryside and taught to live quiet lives of contemplation.

Those not found, who grow up "wild," must come to grips with their power in their own terms. In their hearts is a base calling to use their power for personal pleasure, profit and in wrath, and many give in to the siren call of evil. The handful that resist receive no better treatment from society, and so all Warlocks are given to hiding in the inner city or the deep country. A few find employment regardless amongst unscrupulous lords or mercenary bands, as the Warlock's inexhaustible abilities are more useful in a long campaign than the easily-exhausted Arcane abilities of a Wizard. Even the few Warlocks who hold to ethos and sanity have a dark touch to them and find a natural delight in the brutality of combat.
Race: Human.
Mechanical Considerations: As presented in Complete Arcane.

The Wizard: Arcane Magic has been known to humanity since time out of mind. Many cultures, human and otherwise, have developed its science (and it is a science, with immutable laws just like physics or alchemy) to various levels in isolation. The Arcane Academies in Anastrada are amongst the finest in the known world (though their contact with the world community outside the Peninsula is little, and the inner rivalries between Academies fierce). They enjoy all the benefits of the most up-to-date training techniques (as set down in the Garcia Charter 400 years ago) and the Academies are located right in the cosmopolitan heart of Anastrada's biggest cities.

Becoming a Wizard is not inexpensive; in fact, students are expected to pay for supplies (spell components, spellbooks, lab equipment) out of pocket and thus it is virtually unheard of for a Wizard to come from the lower classes. Most Wizards come from either a noble family or are related to one of the wealthy guildmasters and merchants in the cities. It matters little, for old loyalties are quickly stripped away by the Academies' intensive training, and most Wizards consider their classmates a surrogate family.

Wizards interact with the outside world little and generally have few opinions concerning the governance of the state, only that their studies and experiments are undisturbed. Two Wizard Academies in two different kingdoms will have a tight relationship whether their respective states are at peace or war. That said, individual Wizards sometimes serve as trusted advisors in a King's Court or as operatives in some organization (usually these are people who were expelled from the Academy for whatever reason).

To say the Church and the Academies have a professional relationship puts a nice spin on the reality. Archmagi and Bishops tolerate each other, but Clerics consider Wizards likely to fall into herecy and Wizards think of Clerics as obstinate dogmatists. Unlike Clerics, Wizards rarely use their power to help the common man; this is likely because most have their own origins in the upper class and are unaware or uninterested in the plight of the commoners, and the Archmagi generally frown on unabashed altruism. Rogue Wizards, also called Hedge Wizards, are those who had no formal schooling and are a rare sight indeed; they tend to avoid cosmopolitan areas out of fear of humiliation. Interestingly, all people who graduate from the Academies must take public oaths to abstain from alcohol. This is little enforced.
Race:Human, Satyr, Kenku, Lizardman

Mr.Moron
2007-11-03, 07:56 PM
What is there is interesting. Taking things from a Spanish approach isn't something I've really seen before. Some specifics on locations or personalities might be really cool. I'd like to comment, but I'd feel bad about saying to much either without something really concrete to point at. I guess that is a bit of criticism, the areas aren't well enough defined for me to get a good feel for them.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-11-04, 07:06 PM
You make a good point about more information. Here is a more-or-less summarized version of what I've specifically worked out for the setting.

Geography of Anastrada

Put very simply, Anastrada is roughly triangular, with its "tip" pointing north and its broad base in the south. It can be loosely divided into five regions: the North, the West, the South, the East and Central. Obviously, the North is bordered on its edge by Los Norteros, the massive and frozen mountains going East to West and separating Anastrada from Adis proper. Descending into cool, forested foothills, the North ultimately levels into wide, grassy plains split up by deep forests with many cool rivers snaking out of the mountains.

The West is dominated by Los Occidentos, which could be a set of very low mountains or very high hills. They run North to South and separate a lush and flat grassland almost wholly given up to agriculture from the coastal lowlands. The West Coast is Anastrada's modern center of trade and the wealthiest part of the country, while the fields on the opposite side of Los Occidentos are the most fertile in the peninsula and considered the region's breadbasket.

Central is the highest region of Anastrada in terms of elevation. It is mostly all barren desert, cool during most days and bitterly cold at night. The land is studded with mesas and chains of plateaus. Little grows here other than hardy scrub grass and bush patches, and as you might guess most roads lead around rather than through Central.

The East gradually lowers out of the Peninsular center towards the sea. It is mostly rolling plains of grass with some forest and little remarkable settlement. The South, on the other hand, lowering out of the Central high desert becomes very hot, with lush fields and hills occupied by palm and pineapple trees as well as arboles and vibrant tropical bushes. The thickest areas are the tremendous swamps lying near the southern coasts, with just a few stands of actual jungle occupying the Peninsula's edge like foreign invaders.

A history of Anastrada

The recorded history of Anastrada goes back 2,000 years, when most of central and southern Adis was under the rule of a far-reaching Iron-Age Empire that ruled over many more barbaric nations. The first boats bearing Imperial colonists landed on the eastern shore of the Peninsula, and quickly made contact with the native humans. These people had no writing or metallurgy, and wandered the open plains in small clans, following herds of bovine and deer. These clans were led by Druids, who preached and taught the rites of a large pantheon of nature-deities. At first the contact was friendly, with the natives watching impressed as the colonists unloaded timber and brick and set up the first settlement. But it soon came to pass that the colonists realised these primitives were not the true masters of the Peninsula.

Anastrada was home to just one branch of an ancient kingdom that spanned four continents and far predated upstart humanity. This was the kingdom of the Lizardmen, an advanced race of reptillian and semi-aquatic humanoids. Building with stone on a scale most humans had yet to imagine and the Imperials were just beginning to achieve, the Lizardmen had built grand monasteries for their ascetics, palaces for their lords, and observatories for their scientists. In the swamps they cultivated special antibacterial fungi to combat disease, and they had long since charted the movement of virtually all star clusters and celestial bodies. Their medecine had penetrated the living body to such an extent that they could replicate the stuff of life to their desire and shape it to their whim. Yet most impressive of all was the Lizardman's mastery of himself--his own mind. Their art, Psionics, allowed them to tap into the latent power of the mind for a number of seemingly supernatural effects.

Of course the Imperials were frightened and cowed by the first Lizardmen they encountered. And swiftly, they came to a realization as horrible as anything. The Lizardmen were monitoring the native humans and regularly culled them---keeping the roving bands like Imperial farmers kept free-range cattle. The humans of Anastrada were being raised for their meat! The colonists erected fortifications around their lone town and sent word to the capital. Imperial efficiency was never less than perfect, and the Legions were swiftly dispatched to this dread frontier.

The ensuing war lasted the better part of two centuries. The Lizards had advanced much in science but little in war; it was not their way. The first time one of their steel weapons was captured, it took the Imperials little time to reverse-engineer it. Meanwhile it turned out man had other weapons the Lizard had never conceived of. The art of magic was wholly unknown to the Lizardmen, just as their Psionics was a mystery to mankind. Clerics and Wizards proved effective in combating the mastery of the Lizardmens' Psions and Psychic Warriors, as did bombardment with catapaults. Slowly but surely, the Lizardmen were beaten back to the south of the Peninsula. When the last of their cities was abandoned, they retreated wholly into the jungles and the swamps where challenging them would have been sure suicide, and the humans were content to leave them there.

This was the dawn of the Imperial Age. For the next six centuries, Anastrada was a Province of the Empire. A bustling city was built in the peninsula's north, and roads were laid all through the land. Once the primitive Goliaths were defeated, the Imperials even constructed a high road through Los Norteros, though nothing could make those mountains unperilous. The Province was governed by a Praetor, and a new Diocese was established as Bishops of the Imperial Church were imported. (Later, as Provincial Anastrada's population grew, it was made into an Archdiocese with several subdivisions).

Slightly more than 600 years after the settling of Anastrada, the Empire fell. The how and why of this would be too long to tell for this chronicle. But Anastrada had the advantage of isolation and a highly internalized economy. While other settlements floundered in war and famine, Anastrada stayed prosperous. Power was transferred to the Praetor and his family, while the former Archbishop of the realm took on the title of El Patrón of what was now called The Old Imperial Church. While some ports were now declared unsafe and the old road through Los Norteros fell into disrepair, things continued on largely as they had before.

It wasn't until 400 years of this United Anastrada had passed that the Plague came to port. No one knows where the infection came from or by what means it entered into the Peninsula, though all of Adis was touched by the sickness. The number of dead was utterly monstrous. The blessed clerics of the Church did what they could, but the infection spread too rapidly for them to cure by magic. Once signs of infection began to show, death was certain. To this day, scholars debate the total death toll; it is usually accepted at least one-quarter of the population was stricken, and some even say a third died.

Society broke down. Neighborhoods with even a few infected were immediately sealed up, while gendarmes executed anyone who tried to move out of a contaminated area. Paranoia over the disease turned citizens against each other. In some cases, the local Church's practice of boarding all the infected together only spread the sickness faster. Eventually, almost all the cities were abandoned. People in bands roamed the country and often completely ruined whole fields of crops and vineyards with their looting. The Old Capital could not get word out to its various subject provinces over what to do, and as a result local government ultimately devolved into petty domains. After some years, the Plague died away, but the changes were irrevocable. Many people had lost faith in the Old Imperial Government and Church, leading to a revival in the ancient beliefs of the Peninsular Natives and the return of the Druids. The Church countered that the Druids had originated the plague, while warmongers insisted it was the Lizardmen in the south.

At this time, an event occured amongst the Lizardmen that is called The Schism. It happened that the Lizardmen had borne witness to the ravages of the plague but suffered none themselves thanks to their advanced medecine. Now many amongst them called for a renewed war; the humans were weak and divided. This was the chance to restore the glory of their ancient kingdom, and the Warriors clamored to march north. But in every council, the Ascetics---the Lizardmens' name for their respected Psions---argued that this was folly.

The Ascetics argued that the defeat of the loss of the old kingdom had, in fact, been a blessing in disguise. In that bygone era, the Lizardmen had grown too attatched to their worldly power, and to lording over their slaves and chattel. They had forgotten the disciplines required by the path of self-betterment, the spirituality that the mastery of Psionics demanded. Now the Lizardmen were freed, the Ascetics said, to pursue their enlightenment and forget the drudgeries of lordship and politics.

The Ascetics went unheeded. The Lizardmen armies marched in great number towards the north. Great battles were fought through a long, hard campaign, and at first the exhausted humans recoiled in disarray. But, forgetting their squabbles to battle a greater foe, the new kingdoms of Anastrada, numbering five, regrouped and annihilated the invaders. The Lizardman population was greatly diminished, while the Ascetics watched on sadly and welcomed back the few survivors who crawled home. This event precipitated a mighty change in Lizardman society. Now every community was established on a monastic model, headed by an Ascetic with his key disciples. The Lizardmen truly turned to spiritual focus and forgot enslaving the other races.

Meanwhile, of the five nations who now dominated the Peninsula, the western coastal kingdom of Bonpuerto emerged as the wealthiest and most powerful. Its cities on the shore grew into extravagant metropoli with tens of thousands of inhabitants. The rest of Adis had slowly recovered from the Plague, and now trade by sea became a lucrative enterprise. The Mercantile Guilds of each city, joined in union with the guilds of skilled laborers and artisans, have grown exorbitantly wealthy and can now even challenge the nobility in certain areas. There are no less than five noble houses in Bonpuerto, and the intrigues and plots that run between these families could fill a volume in its own right. The Old Imperial Church has also moved to the capital city of Bonpuerto, and there El Patrón still sits as Spritual Father of all five kingdoms.

-----

That's all for the human and Lizardman side of the history. The Kenku, Satyrs and Goliaths are there but they don't have the numbers or the influence to make much more than a marginal impact on things. Their contributions to history will have to follow their descriptions. For now I'm sticking with detailing the human realms. I'll post more of my thoughts on that later. Please feel free to note anything you feel could be improved or submit any suggestions on what I have so far, though.

Eladrinstar
2007-11-04, 07:23 PM
Very interesting. I think the Spanish theme is a really good idea.

Sorry my post is way shorter than your posts on my setting thread.

puppyavenger
2007-11-05, 03:30 PM
Just question, but you say lizerdmen are psionic and that majic is alien to them, so why are their lizerdmen wizzards and why didn't you list the psionic classes?
Also love that it's between a zeolos palidan kingdom and a super advanced intellectual lizzardman empire.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-11-06, 03:01 AM
Just question, but you say lizerdmen are psionic and that majic is alien to them, so why are their lizerdmen wizzards and why didn't you list the psionic classes?

Good eye. I figured Lizardmen ought to be able to be Wizards (even if it would be really, really rare) because there's nothing inherantly stopping them from learning the Arcane Arts, even though the Lizards didn't develop it on their own. However, only Lizardmen have the potential to develop Psionics and so those classes are limited to them. Therefore they're not commonly available and so weren't mentioned on the list (you'll notice a rather human-centric perspective in the writeup of each class).

Then again, I was also thinking that as a hint to their connection, I could give Goliaths access to the Wilder class.

Also love that it's between a zeolos palidan kingdom and a super advanced intellectual lizzardman empire.

Thanks. I wasn't planning on having the Paladin Kingdom (which I really ought to name) be a major player so much as an ominous, alluded to threat that a DM might be able to expand on if they later wish. However, I was also thinking of taking the Crusader class from Tome of Battle and giving it to the elite warriors of that nation exclusively....