PDA

View Full Version : Spice Girls

Kaelaroth
2007-11-04, 10:59 AM
Is anyone else revolted by their return? I admit, back in the day, they were probably a fantastic band. But now, with their new song and video, I am disgusted andrevolted. All their old feistiness has gone out of their music, they are, by no means, girls any more, and it is disgusting to watch (they're mums! MUMS!). I feel dirty and wrong having sat through the entire video on a pop-show this morning.

Does anyone else have the same sentiments, or should I admit myself back in to the funny farm now?

Dihan
2007-11-04, 11:28 AM
I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a spork, pour sulphuric acid into my ear canal, and tuck into a slice of ceasium sandwich than listen to those hags.

Blayze
2007-11-04, 11:59 AM
They were yawn-inducing and forgettable back in the day, and they're yawn-inducing and forgettable now. Same old message, only now it's "Yeah girls, you can end up like us!"

Oh dear.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-04, 01:02 PM
I admit, back in the day, they were probably a fantastic band.

Compared to the other stuff they played on the radio at the time, the Spice Girls were a noticable improvement.

Which is terrorfying to think of in itself.

LCR
2007-11-04, 01:46 PM
I loathed their music when they were big and I'm not too amazed by their comeback. I don't exactly wish them death, but frankly don't care about them.

PlatinumJester
2007-11-04, 01:53 PM
They're a bunch of washed up 30 something years olds who can go die fro all I care especially Posh.

unstattedCommoner
2007-11-04, 01:59 PM
I don't exactly wish them death ...

If I had wishes, I certainly wouldn't waste them on that.

Winterwind
2007-11-04, 02:08 PM
Badly cut, but the only version of that video I could find in two minutes (and I see no reason why to invest more time into something Spice Girls related):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vjzDUl2jmc

Anyway - didn't care for them back then, don't care for them now. Completely not my kind of music.

averagejoe
2007-11-04, 02:22 PM
Wait, they're back?! This is horrible news! I still have nightmeres about when my sister would have sleepovers and they'd blast Spice Girls through the night. :smalleek:

Jimorian
2007-11-04, 09:37 PM
What bothers me more than them personally, is an interview with a major record company exec I read in Billboard back in 1999. His thesis was that the major labels were sick and tired of supporting a band for 4-5 albums while they grew an audience and learned their chops, only to have them bolt to another company for a whole lot more money when the contract was up. (He conveniently left out the fact that since they all did this to each other, the average talent pool per company would remain the same, it's just that now their profit margin was less because those evil musicians were taking too much of the pie.)

No, he said, instead all the record companies were now going to concentrate on "making" hit acts like the Spice Girls so that they would still have the act under a cheap contract when they were selling multi-platinum numbers.

What about catalogue sales? Well, they were doing just fine with people upgrading to CDs at the time, and by the time all the new created acts burned out, there would be a new format that people would have to buy the old stuff all over again, so no problem.

Of course, move forward a few years, and aside from the internet copying problem, the other major thing record companies are whining about how they can't move back catalogue. Well DUH, who's going to want to "rediscover" Britney Spears' earlier works?

And all the acts that they abandoned who took years and numerous albums to learn their chops? They're on tour making money hand over fist because they've learned how to put on darned good shows and don't necessarily need the income stream from CDs anymore. So now the record companies are trying to sign new acts to draconian contracts that also take a large chunk of tour proceeds.

So, it's not like the Spice Girls were the first manufactured bubble gum act, or the best, or the worst, but they're the ones that the entire music industry decided to use as a business model, and now look where we are. :smallsigh:

sikyon
2007-11-05, 12:45 AM
I loved spice girls back in the day.

OK, outwardly I hated them, but honestly I'm mature enough now to admit that I loved them (like how boys punch girls they like)

Now I don't really care.

Serpentine
2007-11-05, 01:26 AM
They're... back?! :smallconfused: :smalleek: I own one of their CDs v.v

Skippy
2007-11-05, 01:27 AM
I saw the thread name and had to wash my eyes with acid. I need therapy again now. I had finally wiped them out of my mind, and they're back?!

Someone shoot me please.

Vella_Malachite
2007-11-05, 01:52 AM
I used to adore them, being at the correct age (i.e, between 5 and 7 inclusive) just before they left last time, now I feel they are cringeworthy and I have listened to them again and they're just like any other pop **** available these days... [rant]

Dea_al_Mon
2007-11-29, 05:52 PM
yep, they were cool when I was eight. Then I discovered music. You would think they would just accept that they are done and move on. I can't even hate them anymore. I just feel sorry for people like that who have to keep trying and trying when you know they have already peaked. Also, I know that one good dose of "At the Gates" would cause their brains to explode. Which is sad in and of itself.

Tamburlaine
2007-11-29, 06:56 PM
Didn't like them before, don't like them now. Their return is as painful as having a kangaroo kick your guts out. stupid talentless singing kangaroos

2007-11-29, 07:36 PM
I think they're hot.

thedavo
2007-11-29, 07:40 PM
obviously a bit strapped for cash, as they're advertising for tescos.

i dont really care, i'll just ignore their existence like i did years ago.

Dervag
2007-11-29, 08:17 PM
I have a similar policy; I simply do not perceive the Spice Girls. I refuse to acknowledge that this hypothetical entity exists, ever ceased to exist, or has resumed existence.

There. Are. No. Spice. Girls. There never were, and there never will be.

Now, try thinking it yourself.

See? Wasn't that relaxing?

dehro
2007-11-29, 09:48 PM
wha.. when did they ever leave? the newspapers, that is..
anyway, I loved them too, provided the volume was turned off...I mean..pretty hot, most of them...
Now? dunno...
oh wait..you are talking of music...
:smallconfused: how is that related to the spice mums?

Jack Squat
2007-11-29, 10:16 PM
true evil in the world, something must be done

http://www.danielthomas.org/Assets/film%20reviews%20pix/stop-stealing-my-photos.jpg

Cyrano
2007-11-29, 11:20 PM
They combine sexy, vaguely slutty, distasteful, bloody ugly, untalented, Celine Dion-ish, and painfully overconfident in one skimpily dressed package.
More power to them. They made a CAREER on this crap. That takes SOME kind of talent.

sealemon
2007-11-30, 10:15 AM
They're hot, Mel C is even better looking now than she was back then, and the video for Wannabie was notable because the entire video was done in a single 4 minute take--not an easy thing to pull off.

Other than that, a completely forgettable pop band.

DraPrime
2007-11-30, 08:51 PM
The spice girls never were, are, or will be good. I would rather suffer castration than go to one of their concerts. The fact that they're making a comeback is reason enough to make a anti-spicegirls terrorist organization.

Fin
2007-12-01, 10:07 AM
true evil in the world, something must be done

http://www.danielthomas.org/Assets/film%20reviews%20pix/stop-stealing-my-photos.jpg

boondock saints, awesome film.

but seriously the worst thing about the spice girls return is that they have made their way onto these hallowed message boards.

Imrik
2007-12-01, 10:15 AM
...Oh God, I didn't want to know that! All this time trying to forget the torment of my obsessed younger sister, and hours of the same damn song!

Flashbacks! IT BURNS!

Kaelaroth
2007-12-01, 01:51 PM
They're... back?! :smallconfused: :smalleek: I own one of their CDs v.v

Like the tackiest of Timelords (or that cheerleader lassie):
They Regenerate!

Although, after hearing some of Melanie C's solo work I hated them marginally less. But the cruddy Tescos advert has now made me want to drill thousands and thousands of fiery needles into their eyes, and leave them out in the sun, in the desert, tied up and covered in honey, waiting for the fire-ants to come.