PDA

View Full Version : [Setting] Ghostly Mayhem!

Neftren
2007-11-04, 07:00 PM
After reading Ghostwalk, and discovering that there are no playable races within it, I decided to start a campaign setting focused around ghosts. So here's my shot at it. It's still a major work in progress, especially the fluff, so please be patient. :smallamused: . Yay for lots of spoilers! I've got a few design comments of my own, although I'll let you guys take it apart on cross examination before telling you my own thoughts.

Races of The Ghost Plane:The Ethereal Races:
Ghouls:• Medium Sized
• Ethereal Subtype. A Ghoul is considered in the Ethereal Plane at all times, except for the below case.
• • • A Ghoul may enter the material plane as a free action for a duration of two hours, twice per day.
• A Ghoul may treat Ghost Elves as Favored Enemies, as per the Ranger ability.
• -4 Charisma, +Strength, +2 Constitution
• Darkvision [60 Feet]
Ghasts:• Medium Sized
• Ethereal Subtype. A Ghast is considered in the Ethereal Plane at all times, except for the below case.
• • • A Ghast may enter the material plane as a free action for a duration of two hours, twice per day.

Banshees:• Medium Sized
• Ethereal Subtype. A Banshee is considered in the Ethereal Plane at all times, except for the below case.
• • • A Banshee may enter the material plane as a free action for a duration of two hours, twice per day.
• -6 Charisma, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom
• Flight. A Banshee may fly at a speed of 40 feet, with average maneuverability when manifesting in the Material Plane and Perfect Maneuverability while within the Ethereal Plane.
• Banshee Scream. Once per day, a Banshee may manifest and scream, causing all enemies within 30 Feet to make a DC 10 Will Save, or be Panicked for 2 rounds. Afterwards, they are shaken.
The Material Races:
Ghostly Humans:Ghostly Humans share the same traits that their normal Human cousins have, except for the following:

• +2 Charisma, +2 Constitution
• No Extra Skill Points at First Level, and when Gaining Levels.
• No Bonus Feat at First Level.
• Turn Ethereal (Su). A Ghostly Human may enter the Ethereal Plane as per the Ethereal Jaunt Spell once per day.
• Favored Class: A Ghostly Human does not have a Favored Class.
Ghostly Dwarves:Ghostly Dwarves share the same traits that their normal Dwarven cousins have, except for the following:

• No Darkvision. Ghostly Dwarves have been driven out of their traditional tunnels, and into the sunlight although in some ghost free areas, Ghostly Dwarves still maintain their mines deep into the crust.
• No Stonecunning.
• • • A Ghostly Dwarf gains Ghostcunning instead of Stonecunning. This ability grants a Ghostly Dwarf a +2 Racial Bonus on Listen, Search and Spot checks to detect any Ethereal Race within 20 Feet. Any living creature currently in the Ethereal Plane may also be detected provided they are within 20 feet.
• +4 Dodge Bonus against creatures of the Ethereal Subtype. This replaces the bonus to dodge against creatures of the Giant subtype.
Ghostly Elves:Ghostly Elves share the same traits that their normal Elven cousins have, except for the following:

• +2 Strength, +2 Constitution
• No Racial Bonus to Listen, Search and Spot checks.
•*No Favored Class.
Ghostly Gnomes:Ghostly Gnomes share the same traits that their normal Gnomish cousins have, except for the following:

• +1 Racial Attack Bonus against creatures of the Ethereal Plane. This replaces the original attack bonus against Kobolds and other miscellaneous Goblinoids of the same type.
• +4 Dodge Bonus against creatures of the Ethereal Subtype. This replaces the bonus to dodge against creatures of the Giant subtype.
Ghostly Half-Elves:Ghostly Half-Elves share the same traits that their normal Half-Elf cousins have, except for the following:

• +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma
• No Low-Light Vision
Ghostly Half-Orcs:Ghostly Half-Orcs share the same traits that their normal Half-Orc cousins have, except for the following:

• A Ghostly Half-Orc's starting Intelligence Score does not have to be 3, and may instead be higher although not lower.
Ghostly Halflings:Ghostly Halflings share the same traits that their normal Halfling cousins have, except for the following:

• A Ghostly Halfing is identical to the Ghostwise Halfling as presented on Page 74 in the Races of Faerun, Forgotten Realms, Supplemental Race Book.
New Classes of the Ghost Plane:The Ethereal Classes:
The Shrieker:

The Predator:

The Material Classes:
The Ghostwind Scourge:

The Master of Twelve Winds:

Okay, I need something to add to fill the Ghast race, and I want more abilities for the Ghoul race as well. Yes, I know it's a lot of spoilers, but please bear with me here, since it's a lot easier to organize and read this way. Well for me it is...

More is on it's way! It's just taking a long time to write up. Bear with me. I'm basically done with races, although classes take forever to put together.

Neftren
2007-11-04, 07:10 PM
This Post Reserved for Additional Things.

Neftren
2007-11-05, 09:51 AM
Okay, questions? Comments? Or will this thread be left to a... ghostly death?

DracoDei
2007-11-05, 11:53 AM
Setting background/history would really help with this.

It doesn't make much sense to me that Humans are +2 Cha, Elves have no modifier to that ability, but Half-Elves get -2.

What is this about Half-Orcs starting with intelligence 3? By RAW they get a -2 to INT which never reduces their intelligence BELOW 3.

For what it is worth, take a look at my Master of Life and Undeath class and see if it might relate to your setting. (See my signature).

Neftren
2007-11-05, 12:01 PM
Fluffwise, the material races have been fighting the Ethereal races for well... ages. So the humans are born as heroes basically... so they're slightly more charismatic than normal. Half Elves are shunned from Elf and Human communities... it's more fluffwise related. I've got three full documents of just fluff, which I'm working at light speed (basically) to get typed and edited to look nice.

As for intelligence, I believe Half Orcs always start at an intelligence of three? I've never actually played one... so I dunno...so a Ghostly Half Orc would be slightly more intelligent, after fighting with the Ethereal races a bunch more.

DracoDei
2007-11-05, 12:12 PM
Yeah... NO! Half-Orc get a -2 racial modifier to their intelligence... most of the time this works just like the -2 Con modifier for elves (or their is an alternate chart you can use, but it is still very unlikely that a half-orc will end up with a 3 intelligence).

Neftren
2007-11-05, 06:40 PM
Heh, okay, I'll go fix it. :D