PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Druid?

DiscipleofBob
2007-11-05, 03:16 PM
I've seen builds for the traditional tree-hugging elven forest-based druid and the seafaring aventi or human aquatic-based druid, but I was wondering...

Would a cavern or underground based dwarven druid be a feasible option?

What kind of animal forms would he have?

What kind of spells would he choose?

What sort of animal companion would he have?

Is this plausible or is a homebrew class in order?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-05, 03:21 PM
A cavernous druid would probably take forms like Bat, which dwells in caves. He or she would also probably take spells that affect earth and stone, such as earthquake. As for ana nimal companion, a dire and templated version of anything that suits the wildshape. And it's definetely plausible. When was background important for a base class, except for pallies and samurai?

MrNexx
2007-11-05, 03:42 PM
My first thought? "DOO-DAD!" "That's me brother Pikel. He thinks he's a druid. Even carries around a tree..."

Secondly, however, 2nd edition had variations of druids for various environments. An underground druid was known as a "Grey Druid", and had slightly different spheres (cleric spells were organized into spheres; individual priesthoods only had access to certain spheres) than a regular, forest, druid, and slightly different granted powers.

CabbageTheif
2007-11-05, 04:02 PM
::sigh:: i miss spheres. i hope the class-race relation in 4th is simmilar to 2nd, as well

anyways, i think it perfectly legit. nature is nature, whether its a volcano or an oak tree. there are 2 major dwarf cultures in my campaign, one being the typical dwarf image, the second being the druidy/ancient celtic/ build around nature type of culture. animal companions could include dire badgers or even dire moles. wildshape.... we may need to homebrew some awsome underground creatues, but the dwarves are not foreign to the above world; they know what birds and bears are. or mountain goats, for that matter. can you imagine a dwarf wildshaped into a mountain goat? it would have the same beard! hahaha.... never mind

anyways, i say go for it, no need for a new class.

Stormcrow
2007-11-05, 04:52 PM
He or she would also probably take spells that affect earth and stone, such as earthquake.

So happy not to be in the party with the druid who casts earthquake underground. :P

Cave Ins = Death

Animals forms... Dire Badger would be handy.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-05, 05:06 PM
Prepare a lot of spells with the [Earth] descriptor. Try and talk to your DM about using some of the variants from the Cityscape Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) or the Dungeonscape book.

The one in Dungeonscape trades your wild empathy for vermin empathy, woodland empathy for the ability to move over stone, rock and earth debris without loss of speed or damage, and also alters Resist Nature's Lure to function against aberrations.

As for the Cityscape variants, City-Shape (despite the name) may also make sense, since it trades your Wild Shape ability for one that lets you turn into animals, vermin, and swarms.

mostlyharmful
2007-11-05, 05:55 PM
I've gone caving, seen new caverns, been trapped down big holes.. There's beauty and complexity and grandour down there and that's just in the real world. A dwarven druid of the underground environs makes perfect sense. for forms and companions bat has already been suggested, also try bear (hibernation caves, easy mystic tie in), snakes (some varities hibernate in caves), spiders (not animal type but workable maybe) and burrowing mammels such as wolves, badgers and moles.

TimeWizard
2007-11-05, 07:33 PM
My first thought? "DOO-DAD!" "That's me brother Pikel. He thinks he's a druid. Even carries around a tree..."

That was my first thought. My second thought was "Shill-ale-aye"

MrNexx
2007-11-06, 01:03 AM
That was my first thought. My second thought was "Shill-ale-aye"

"Shi-la-la", I think it was.