PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Discusion

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-11-07, 06:22 PM
So have you seen it/ heard about it/ watched the trailer. will it live up the hype, will it be the most awesome thing since Prince of Persia.. well if you havent seen it yet here's it's link

Assassin's Creed (http://assassinscreed.com)

Can't wait to get my hands on a hidden knife, wana leap tall buildings and I wana have those throwing knives.. man does this guy got skill, he needs to be stated on D&D.

thoughts and comments.

Oeryn
2007-11-07, 06:30 PM
I'm lookin' forward to it, like you wouldn't believe.

I'm a little worried, the last couple weeks, because I've heard rumors about time travel, and that the main character is a modern-day hero, sent back to the Crusades.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Raistlin1040
2007-11-07, 06:43 PM
I think this thread belongs in the Gaming (Other) Forum.

...Aside from that, it's going to be AWESOME!

edit: You spelled Discussion wrong.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-11-07, 09:17 PM
thank you, you all inspire me to become the leader i will someday be.:smallredface:

hanzo66
2007-11-07, 10:08 PM

I'm a little worried, the last couple weeks, because I've heard rumors about time travel, and that the main character is a modern-day hero, sent back to the Crusades.

It's not time travel. It's about Genetic Memory. I'm guessing it's scientist looking back at a supposed descendant of Altair and searching his Genetic Memory for some reason (perhaps wanting to find a way to emulate his 1337 free-running skillz).

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-08, 03:37 AM
It's not time travel. It's about Genetic Memory.

Wow, that like, really increases the game's scientific credibility, like, totally.

Setra
2007-11-08, 03:43 AM
The game has an incredible concept, and it looks pretty fun.. but I can say I'm not as excited as I was before I saw how combat worked, I was hoping for something a bit.. faster, more actiony. To be fair I was a bit hyped up about it, now I have realistic expectations of what it will be like, and I think I'll probably enjoy it.

The 'chase' looks very fun though.

I'll wait til my friend Cody has played it, he has incredibly similar taste in games, and he has an income.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-11-08, 07:15 AM
You have to be quick to this combat system, the countering takes precise timing, and you wont go far unless you can counter.

Emperor Ing
2007-11-08, 07:23 AM
:smallconfused: Doesnt this belong in the Gaming Forum?

Mods? Move this thread.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-11-08, 09:46 AM
ya sorry, i dont move awar from the other gaming thread(D&D) so i thought it might go here (not seeing the other thread) as it hasnt been released, it's media, but now im rambaling, go ahead and move it.

Om
2007-11-08, 03:22 PM
It will not live up to the hype.

ufo
2007-11-08, 03:55 PM

Om, you party crasher :smallwink:

Personally, I can't wait. Though, why must it take so long for it to come to the PC :smallfrown:

expirement10K14
2007-11-08, 04:13 PM

The game that didn't live up to the hype was Halo 3, but Assassin's creed most certainly will.

Om
2007-11-08, 04:17 PM
Om, you party crasher :smallwink: True, I do seem to be permanently grumpy these days:smallwink:

But I've seen this all before. Every second game since the day of pong has been over-hyped and promised as the next big thing. Most are crap. The games that really impress and innovate come from nowhere and take everyone by surprise. AC may well be a good game but I doubt that it will be a great one.

ray53208
2007-11-08, 10:16 PM
ive just got a new job. im saving my cash for an xbox360. there are only five games i want...

assassins creed, call of duty 4, gta 4, guitar hero 3, and dead rising. im not sure ill need anything else because these games totally rock.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-11-09, 07:11 AM
I wana get Prince of Persia for Xbox, and then play it on 360, just for old times sake.

Jibar
2007-11-09, 12:15 PM
But I've seen this all before. Every second game since the day of pong has been over-hyped and promised as the next big thing. Most are crap. The games that really impress and innovate come from nowhere and take everyone by surprise. AC may well be a good game but I doubt that it will be a great one.

I'm looking forward to it. Ubisoft is a company I have great faith in, and I honestly expect they will make a game I consider great.
I am however, aware that it will never be all we want. I'm expecting to pick up the game and find everything great, except for one thing that will bug the Hell outta me, but not be enough for me to be that concerned. So far, I'm expecting it will be the Genetic Memory idea and how it seems to justify having the HUD, which I'm not a big fan of.

Icewalker
2007-11-09, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I REEEALLY want the game, but I'm pretty sure my computer isn't good enough to run it. I'm going to buy a PS3 if the price drops far enough, but yeah. Not so much.

Lord_Butters_I
2007-11-09, 11:45 PM
Don't bother with PS3, it's overpriced and has too few games. Go with a 360, much bigger (and better) library and it costs less. Now that they've reduced the core size they don't red ring nearly as much either.

TSGames
2007-11-11, 01:41 AM
Don't bother with PS3, it's overpriced and has too few games. Go with a 360, much bigger (and better) library and it costs less. Now that they've reduced the core size they don't red ring nearly as much either.
No way, it has all the games. It's got Ratchet and Clank, and it's got dragon combat, and at least one other game on the system. Playstation, why must you whore out your 'exclusive' titles?

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-11-11, 11:16 AM
which one are you talking about Destruction?

Oeryn
2007-11-21, 01:32 PM
Well, now that it's out, I can say that it lived up to the hype for me, personally. I had a blast with it, and I'm lookin' forward to the sequels.

And don't listen to the naysayers. I've got a PS3, and I'm much happier with it than the people I know that have the Xbox 360. It's a great machine, and you know Sony's gonna bring the library.

2007-11-21, 03:40 PM

The reality of it is much cooler :smallwink:

Oeryn
2007-11-26, 11:30 AM
Yeah. I was actually surprised at how well it all came together, and how much it added to the game. Those sequels should be pretty interesting...

Lord of the Helms
2007-11-26, 12:14 PM
The game that didn't live up to the hype was Halo 3

I always thought it was Halo 1. What horrid, horrid interior level design. The reason I never finished the game was that at some point I didn't find the way on because I couldn't tell where the hell forward and backward and anyward was because EVERYTHING LOOKED EXACTLY THE FREAKING SAME. Oh you wasted potential you.

Assassin's Creed will interest me, it has some nice new ideas about the whole crowd interaction, but on principle I do not believe in hypes, ever. Well except if Bioware is concerned, because then it's not so much a hype as knowing, for a fact, that it shall own mightily. :smalltongue:

Anung Un Rama
2007-11-26, 03:46 PM
After finishing the game, i think it is, for me the single best game Iv'e ever played. Better than halo 3 for sure, although i've not played the orange box series or mass effect yet, which promises to be great. The thing that excites me though is the natural evolution of the storyline. Think about it, the next stage will obviously involve desmond free-running around america or some other place, circa 2012 with guns, skyscrapers and possibly some future tech, from what we've seen from the animus.

EvilElitest
2007-11-26, 04:09 PM
hey, how historically accurate is AC by the by? I know very little about the ancient assassins, though i know that is where the name comes from
Is Alter Muslim? If so, than i think that is the first Muslim main character i've ever seen in a video game. Cool
from,
EE

puppyavenger
2007-11-26, 04:52 PM
hey, how historically accurate is AC by the by? I know very little about the ancient assassins, though i know that is where the name comes from
Is Alter Muslim? If so, than i think that is the first Muslim main character i've ever seen in a video game. Cool
from,
EE

Yes, and apparently all of the cities(or maby just jeruselem) have historicly accurate maps.

Eldred
2007-11-26, 04:58 PM
In a UbiDays interview it was stated that Altaïr is the son of a Christian mother and a Muslim father. [Link] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed#Background)

Also, the cities were based on historical documents from the time of the crusades.

Malik
2007-11-26, 05:02 PM
Jumping into hay piles is fun :D

2007-11-26, 05:46 PM
from,
EE

Altair (Which is pronounced All-TY-Ear btw, I never would've known) dosn't strike me as Muslim, nor do any of the Assassins, really. Especially since both the Crusaders and the Saracens call him a heretic.

And I don't think the next game will be Desmond free-running around shooting people, as much awesome as a modern day assassin would be. I'm 100% sure it'll turn out that the pieces of Eden on the map aren't there or something and the Templars spend the next game digging through more of Altair's memories to figure out what he did with them.

Oh, and who wants to bet that the female who was disguised and Robert de Sade will turn out to either be Desmond's great-great-great-great-great-great-great ect... grandma, or Lucy's?

EvilElitest
2007-11-26, 06:02 PM
That assassin group was Muslim historically i believe, and the Protagonist certainly isn't Christian (their is pretty much only the Catholic Church at this time, so the Christian's are unitied relgion wise, while the Muslims have many different sects. Unless we could some of the lesser Christian sects or the Greek Church, but you get the idea)
from,
EE

Gungnir
2007-11-26, 06:40 PM
The Assassins are an extremist Muslim group (like modern day, but without the bombs and the suicides). On top of that, he was responsible for killing several important figures to the Muslim side of the conflict, like the she-impostor said.

2007-11-26, 06:43 PM
But at the end of the game its obvious that El Mualim is an atheist, and Altair never does anything very religious in the game.

I could be wrong, I know nothing about the historical Assassins, but I'm pretty sure they didn't have little balls of alien technology that could turn people into zombies, either.

Teal Kuinshi
2007-11-26, 08:44 PM
I only got to the second or third memory before my xbox 360 died on me (sob). I really like the gameplay; in any other game it might have gotten repetitive, but so far the plot and challenges keep it interesting.

Gungnir
2007-11-26, 08:51 PM
But at the end of the game its obvious that El Mualim is an atheist, and Altair never does anything very religious in the game.

I think that's on purpose. Ubisoft isn't like Rockstar, they avoided anything that would have sparked a lot of debate, and religion is pretty much the biggest argument-sparker in history.

MBV
2007-11-28, 02:51 PM
I got the the game, and am now in memeory block 5, and have to say, the game dissapoints me.

Sure, graphics look good, the crawling around cities and being able to climb everything is fun at first, combat is good and realistic, but there is one major flaw

there is absolutely NO variation in missions thus far (Im at 60%). All missions go like this:
1. Find assassins bureau
2. Climb view point
3. Gain info on target by either pickpocketing, threats, eavesdropping or doing informer tasks.
3. You could (don't have to) save citizens from bullies.
4. If you have done three investigations ( there are about 6 for every tasks)
5. Assassinate target

This is it.
Time and time again
You could collect flags as in GTA
no variation
i't gets boring after 6 assassinations. itr really does

But it is worth the 60 euros imo, it just doesn't live up to the hype