PDA

View Full Version : I'm an Eagle Scout!

Traveling_Angel
2007-11-09, 01:04 AM
Last Tuesday, I was approved by my council Board of Review to be an Eagle Scout! :smallcool: This is the last step in the long approval process.

For those unfamiliar with the rank, it is the culmination of a lot hard work. Some things I've done along the way:

Jumped into a swimming pool in plain clothes (including shoes) and then keeping myself afloat
Understood basic supply and demand structures (unusual for a teenager)
I currently know CPR and good deal of First Aid
kept track of my finances for 3 months (really unusual for a teen)
Complete a service project, all on my own (fundraising, recruiting volunteers, and so on), the only help from my parents being rides to a lot of places.

Another thing, the rank must be obtained before the 18th birthday. I'm 15.

*Happy dance*

Raiser Blade
2007-11-09, 01:17 AM
Congrats! I have two brothers in boy scouts. One in webelo's and one in cub.

Gowron
2007-11-09, 01:28 AM
Congratulations!

Coming from a Chiefs scout, the Canadian version of you Eagles.

Terumitsu
2007-11-09, 02:06 AM
Really? Welcome to the ranks! So did you also get to the OA yet? *Feels nice that he isn't the only one he knows of now.*

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-11-09, 02:09 AM

You know for a second I thought that said fiancées, now that would have been impressive.

Syka
2007-11-09, 02:31 AM
Congrats! My boyfriend is an Eagle Scout, so I have an idea of this.

I know how hard it is. I only made it up to 8th grade in Girl Scouts. They wanted me to do the Service Projects. I said screw it, I can't stand this.

Maybe if I'd been in Boy Scouts I'd've done better...I've always liked what you guys get to do more than what we had to do. :smallconfused:

But that's awesome, especially at 15. :)

Cheers,
Syka

Mikeavelli
2007-11-09, 03:06 AM
Welcome to the club! 15, wow, you must have gone through the ranks about as fast as humanly possible too. Still have plenty of time for alls orts of Palms to add on to that.

What'd you do for your project?

hyperfreak497
2007-11-09, 05:39 AM
Congratulations!

Jumped into a swimming pool in plain clothes (including shoes) and then keeping myself afloat
Understood basic supply and demand structures (unusual for a teenager)
I currently know CPR and good deal of First Aid
Complete a service project, all on my own (fundraising, recruiting volunteers, and so on), the only help from my parents being rides to a lot of places.

Aren't most of these from merit badges? The first one is from Swimming and is also used in Lifesaving, and the fourth one is from Personal Management, unless I'm mistaken.

By the way, I'm a Star scout. Only reason I'm not Life/Eagle yet is no time to complete merit badges.

Rogue 7
2007-11-09, 08:33 AM
Life Scout who never got his rear in gear enough to make Eagle. Very dissappointed in myself for that. Well done!

CatCameBack
2007-11-09, 11:24 AM
Life Scout who never got his rear in gear enough to make Eagle. Very dissappointed in myself for that. Well done!

Don't feel bad.

21 merit badges, ended up as Scout Second class. :smallfrown:

And truly congrats to Traveling Angel.

Crispy Dave
2007-11-09, 11:25 AM
my friend is almost an eagle the only reason hes not yet is because hes so buzy being senior patrol leader and with school

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-11-09, 11:26 AM
Congratulations! That's really impressive.

Emrylon
2007-11-09, 11:29 AM
Wow Scouts work very differently over here in the Uk. I'm an Explorer scout but I have to either leave or become a leader now because I'm 18.

Anyway well done that looks really tough.

LCR
2007-11-09, 11:30 AM
Those scout organizations always seem a little paramilitary to me ... :smallconfused:

Veg Sorbet
2007-11-09, 11:35 AM
Wow Scouts work very differently over here in the Uk. I'm an Explorer scout but I have to either leave or become a leader now because I'm 18.

Not exactly - there's Network until you're 25.

Oh, and congrats to Travelling_Angel

The J Pizzel
2007-11-09, 12:17 PM
So does this meen that you lead the armies when the Boy Scouts of America rise up and take over the world.

What? Quit looking at me like that. I know thats what yall are training for.

jP

TRM
2007-11-09, 12:47 PM
Congrats Traveling_Angel! that's really impressive at such a young age (heh. "young" look at the 14 y.o talking).
I've never been a boy scout or had any inclination to. I know a few though and it seems an interesting pastime. Independent service projects are fun :smallcool:
If you don't mind me asking, what service project did you organize and complete?

Congratulations again!

Armond
2007-11-09, 12:54 PM
Aren't most of these from merit badges? The first one is from Swimming and is also used in Lifesaving, and the fourth one is from Personal Management, unless I'm mistaken.

Well, yeah, but that's like half of what you need for eagle. :smalltongue:

I was a star scout at your age... Had all the merit badges I needed and most of the other things... Then there was drama and I left the troop. Never went back to finish things up. So, big congratulations here.

Googlywirdo
2007-11-09, 12:57 PM
Yay for you! My little brother just made scout 1st class a few days ago. I belive the closest thing to eagle in girl scouts is gold award. I should know because I'm working on my gold...

Evil_Pacifist
2007-11-09, 01:01 PM
(heh. "young" look at the 14 y.o talking).

That's nothing. I call everyone "Young Lady", regardless of their actual sex or age relative to mine. :smallcool:

Oh, and conratz. Eagle Scout is the really good one, right?

redshift
2007-11-09, 02:28 PM
Congrats! I barely squeaked in within the deadline. Personally, I found treading water holding a cinder block harder than swimming with my cloths on. Can't say I was too thrilled with the wet jeans flotation device but a Navy friend said a shipmate of his used it to stay afloat for >24 hours until he was rescued.

reorith
2007-11-09, 02:42 PM
congrats amigo

Ishmael
2007-11-09, 07:36 PM
Damn you! Fifteen! How do you motivate yourself like that?

I'm seventeen, and it's five months before my birthday. I just got all my signatures finished to finally begin building my project.

I suppose doing it all young is the best. I found that while applying to college, taking six Advanced Placement courses, and other high school things tend to distract me. When I first got into high adventure stuff, too, it really threw me away--I mean, backpacking is much more fun than paperwork.

I suppose it's all my fault, though...

Midnight Son
2007-11-09, 08:44 PM
Congrats and welcome to the club! the Tenderfoot slaves are stationed in the back room to keep them out of the way, but have been trained to serve at a moments notice. Use them wisely though. That one time was kinda hard to explain when the National Guard showed up.

I also got mine a couple months after my 15th Birthday. I found that it helps to have a mother who constantly pesters kindly reminds you to get your badges and such.

StickMan
2007-11-09, 09:23 PM
Crazy over achieving board members. I got out while the getting was good right after all the animal things what is it like web lo or corn scout or some odd thing. I remember Corn on the hanker chief. Oh well:smallsigh: .

But yea congrats.

Green Bean
2007-11-09, 10:37 PM
Those scout organizations always seem a little paramilitary to me ... :smallconfused:

Nah. I was in one of these (Cub Scouts, if you want to know), and I can honestly say that we were in absolutely no way planning a bloody uprising.

StickMan
2007-11-09, 10:45 PM
Nah. I was in one of these (Cub Scouts, if you want to know), and I can honestly say that we were in absolutely no way planning a bloody uprising.

What you talking about all my group did was plan bloody uprisings.:smallamused:

Green Bean
2007-11-09, 11:26 PM
What you talking about all my group did was plan bloody uprisings.:smallamused:

Man, you guys were amateurs, then. Our plans relied on breaking all resistance with psychological tactics. It's all the fun of a bloody uprising, with the added benefit of having a cheap, depressed labour force afterwards. :smalltongue:

ForzaFiori
2007-11-09, 11:36 PM
Congratulations! Eagle is a great accomplishment. I assume your also a member of the OA?

Since everyone else is, i figure i'll let everyone know my scout stuff too.

I left my troop (and scouting) this past summer, at the rank of 1st class, and I am an ordeal member of the OA. (though i have all my requirements for Star, but my scoutmaster wouldn't get me an appointment for my board of review. Which is why i said forget it and left.) I Know how hard it is to work on an Eagle Project (i helped...4 scouts finish their projects iirc), I can't imagine how hard it would be to do one.

congratulations again.

Ishmael
2007-11-10, 12:20 AM
though i have all my requirements for Star, but my scoutmaster wouldn't get me an appointment for my board of review.

Really? That completely sucks. I'm sorry to hear that, truthfully. Scouting gets enough bad rap without mean leaders.

hyperfreak497
2007-11-10, 12:32 AM
My troop is ludricrously advancement-obsessed. We have Board of Reviews every two weeks, and there's rarely a spot open unless you reserve from the week before. At one point, we had seven Eagles in the troop at the same time (under 18). All of them have 18'd out, though, so we just have a buncha Lifes (Lives?) to fill in for them.

landadmiral
2007-11-10, 01:22 PM
Congratulations!

It's like looking in a mirror. I too had my eagle by age 15, however the requirements were different back in the late 80s-early 90s.
The way requirements worked, you could actually make eagle at age 14 and 10 months.

Well done, well done.

Gaelbert
2007-11-10, 01:28 PM
Congratulations.

I as well recieved my Eagle when I was 15, so I know the amount of work it requires. Ayup. I hope you stay around to help your troop out.

Emrylon
2007-11-10, 05:39 PM
Not exactly - there's Network until you're 25.

Oh, and congrats to Travelling_Angel

True bit I live in the middle of nowhere its quite an acheivement that we have an Explorer group!

Pyro
2007-11-11, 02:43 PM
Congrats to you. Some of that stuff is really impressive.

As for me, I never did boy scouts. It was really never for me. Never did like camping all that much anyway..

sikyon
2007-11-11, 03:47 PM

Coming from someone who was in cadets, scouts are very much differentiated by being non-paramilitary.

Congrats on the promotion, and at 15 too! Not bad at all!

Veg Sorbet
2007-11-11, 04:50 PM
True bit I live in the middle of nowhere its quite an acheivement that we have an Explorer group!

Ah. Yeah, that can be a problem. So, I'm guessing you're not planning on going away to uni, then? If you are, you could look out a local Network, or alternatively, SSAGO (http://www.ssago.org.uk/) (Student Scout & Guide Association. Or both).

'Course there's nothing wrong with becoming a leader - back home, I'm a section assistant/sailing instructor with a sea scout group, in Aber, due to a leadership shortage, I'm almost running the troop I'm helping with (was doing cubs for a while as well) and, despite a few glitches, its fantastic fun. Good for the CV, too...

Sorry for the mini-essay/rambling - I'm supposed to be doing a nasty uni assignment but for some reason, this place is more appealing =P.

Edit: 'Pologies for slewing this towards the realms of offtopicishness, by the way...

Harlequin
2007-11-11, 05:39 PM
Hey, congratulations on Eagle. My brother's an Eagle Scout, as are many of his and my friends. Me, I concentrate harder on gymnastics than Boy Scouting, but maybe I'll get there someday.

Traveling_Angel
2007-11-11, 06:37 PM
*Basks in Congrats*

Yes, It's pretty amazing to be done by 15. But a nagging mom really helps.

Midnight Son
2007-11-11, 07:56 PM
*Basks in Congrats*

Yes, It's pretty amazing to be done by 15. But a nagging caring mom really helps.
Fixed that for ya. :smallcool:

LordOfNarf
2007-11-12, 01:46 AM
*Basks in Congrats*

Yes, It's pretty amazing to be done by 15. But a nagging mom really helps.

Be careful before you say that, one of the guys in my troop has a mom like that. He got his life at something like 13, then dropped out with two merit badges and a project left to do because his parents drove him too hard.

As for me, I'm almost there, I'm life, with only a couple of badges and a project left.

Congrats!

Midnighter1021
2007-11-12, 12:30 PM
im an eagle scout too but instead of getting it early like you i happened 2 get it a week before my 18th birthday.

congratulations

Emrylon
2007-11-13, 03:18 PM
Ah. Yeah, that can be a problem. So, I'm guessing you're not planning on going away to uni, then? If you are, you could look out a local Network, or alternatively, SSAGO (http://www.ssago.org.uk/) (Student Scout & Guide Association. Or both).

'Course there's nothing wrong with becoming a leader - back home, I'm a section assistant/sailing instructor with a sea scout group, in Aber, due to a leadership shortage, I'm almost running the troop I'm helping with (was doing cubs for a while as well) and, despite a few glitches, its fantastic fun. Good for the CV, too...
Sorry for the mini-essay/rambling - I'm supposed to be doing a nasty uni assignment but for some reason, this place is more appealing =P.

Edit: 'Pologies for slewing this towards the realms of offtopicishness, by the way...

Ye I'm gonna go to Uni so i will join a network group then. until then I'm going to just help out. My Dad is the Explorer leader anyway so i'm not in much danger of having to leave.

Twas scouting 100th Aniversery this year! Kinda annoyed I couldn't go to the jamborie but I was in Ecuador.

MandibleBones
2007-11-15, 10:57 PM
Congrats on your achievement - as an Eagle myself (once and always), I know the work it took. Just remember that attaining Eagle is just the beginning - a Star or even a Life Scout can walk away once they turn 18, but you are now a marked man. Strive to be better in everything you do.

On a more selfish note, make sure to note this on your resumé or application for every job you apply for - it will usually make the difference between you and another applicant.