PDA

View Full Version : A Construct Question

Runolfr
2007-11-09, 10:40 AM
Is there any information out there on how Warforged get built? I mean, there have to be people out there who know the secret of constructing them, don't there? There are supposedly whole armies of Warforged, which suggests that they are actually easier to make than other constructs.

If there's no official word on this topic, what would you suggest as the requirements for constructing Warforged? I ask this not because I want to create a situation for PCs to make Warforged, but because I think the secret to making them would be an interesting plot point for a campaign.

Caduceus
2007-11-09, 10:50 AM
They're not constructed, however, in quite the same way that other constructs are. Warforged are spawned by creation forges from their base materials: livewood (wood that is still alive even after being chopped), adamantine, mithral, and steel. Variations on the design can be made, but each variation is often only made to mass produce that particular variety. Creating a new form of warforged only to make one or two is inefficient, as has been mentioned in the Dreaming Dark books by Keith Baker.

Runolfr
2007-11-09, 10:58 AM
So, are you saying that Warforged come from some kind of Artifact that produces them from exotic materials?

SilverClawShift
2007-11-09, 11:02 AM
Creating a new form of warforged only to make one or two is inefficient, as has been mentioned in the Dreaming Dark books by Keith Baker.

Which can be an interesting plot hook in and of itself. Imagine if, for every 'unique' specially designed warforged NPC or players, you've actually got a large number of them produced. Where the heck did they go?

So, are you saying that Warforged come from some kind of Artifact that produces them from exotic materials?

Exactly.

Creation Forge (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/eb_gallery/82147.jpg) Note the tiny humanoid down there in the bottom right for scale.

Warforged aren't made by a dwarf with a hammer, they're birthed, magically, from a specially designed construction.

Of course, YOU can decide warforged can spring up any way you want them to. Our last campaign had a warforged player character who was built by a spellcaster in a log cabin as a cook/maid/entertainer/companion. It's up to you in the end.

Runolfr
2007-11-09, 11:05 AM
Actually, I think a massive artifact that builds Warforged will suit my plans nicely.

Irreverent Fool
2007-11-09, 12:28 PM
This isn't addressed in the campaign setting?

Runolfr
2007-11-09, 12:30 PM
This isn't addressed in the campaign setting?

I wouldn't know; I don't have the Eberron campaign setting. I know the statistics for Warforged from the MM3, but it doesn't address their origins.

Runolfr
2007-11-09, 05:11 PM
OK, assuming someone were to get one of these things running, approximately how much of what would the operator need to feed it to get a Warforged out of it. I'm just contemplating what kind of resources a BBEG is going to need to be able to crank out an army of "Stormtroopers".

tyckspoon
2007-11-09, 05:26 PM
In Eberron, at least, I would assume it's powered by one or more bound Elementals. Think of the process that's used to animate Golems- in Eberron, they've found out how to put that sort of binding to more varied uses. Plus, obviously, sufficient supplies of metals and wood to make one or more Warforged bodies. I don't know what the exact proportions would be, but if you're wanting to make a Stormtrooper army out of them, the answer is going to be 'lots'. The metals requirements will probably turn out similar to what you would need if you wanted to equip a similarly-sized human army with swords and decent armor.