PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scouts vs. The SCA

Mikeavelli
2007-11-10, 02:09 AM
Inspired by This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62787); Pretend (heh) that the Boy Scouts really are a paramilitary organization intent on taking over the world. Now, as well all know, the SCA has already successfully Invaded Russia (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29464), and is the most likely opponent to the boy scouts for eventual world domination.

SCA has swords, armor, and prodigious amounts of alcohol.

Boy Scouts have Guns, Pocket Knives, and the ability to create fire.

Assume the overlap between the two organizations consists entirely of spies, with a roughly equal number of individuals loyal to one or the other.

wumpus
2007-11-10, 09:20 AM
The boy scouts ability to create woodland snare has to be noted.

The SCA's "corrupt youth" ability will lock the thread.

ps. This type of thing works better in an Illuminati structure. When I was a scout, they were controlled by a group of "adults*" called the coffee-muggers. Coffee-muggers were known by wearing a coffee mug on one hip and a stirring spoon on the other. They were especially feared for the ability to butt ahead of the chow line and steal food from hungry scouts. I've heard that the Mormons have taken over the scouts, but don't know if they took over the coffee-muggers or grabbed the scouts directly.

* scare quotes due to the fact that said adults tended to play boy scout at the drop of a hat.

MandibleBones
2007-11-10, 09:35 AM
Actually, I'd say it's even money either way. In both organizations, the higher you get up the heirarchy the bigger the egos get - but it's at the low level where all the fun is and all the real power rests.

Remember that Boy Scouts also have other skills - like building catapults that launch said fire, archery and riflery, the ability to identify and make use of several varieties of venomous animals, a high tolerance for horrible camp food and the ability to work as a team.

The SCA, on the other hand, I know little about, but it seems to be more of an individual's organization. On the other hand, most SCA people are older and have more experience, are at least as physically fit as the BSA (carrying rucks over 50 miles vs. fighting in Plate Mail or even just chain), and are more likely to be able to drive thier own cars.

I say even money - but if I had to place odds, it'd go to the BSA for sheer numbers (especially if we're counting alumni).

Saithis Bladewing
2007-11-10, 09:38 AM
As a former SCAer, who has found childhood memories of the SCA, I can tell you right now that BOY SCOUTS ARE GONNA LOSE! *Tries to put on old armour, sighs at suit of chainmail being meant for someone two feet shorter.* :smallsigh:

Green Bean
2007-11-10, 10:47 AM
As a former SCAer, who has found childhood memories of the SCA, I can tell you right now that BOY SCOUTS ARE GONNA LOSE! *Tries to put on old armour, sighs at suit of chainmail being meant for someone two feet shorter.* :smallsigh:

You fool! Scouts are far more powerful; our numbers are great, and our meetings far more frequent!

Plus, I knew this guy in high school who always wore chainmail, and frankly, he was an idiot. :smallwink:

Timberwolf
2007-11-10, 10:53 AM
*Raises hand*

Just for those of us who have or had a negative interest in this stuff, what exactly is SCA ?

Omniplex
2007-11-10, 11:09 AM
Yeah, for more than just the sake of sheer numbers, the boy scouts would have to be restricted to just the youth. While I, as a scout alumni, would be mostly useless, I know a lot of other Eagle Scouts who do things like join the military, where they get real combat skills, as opposed to what it is the SCA does. Even then, in a fight with even numbers, the scouts could just send all the guys with the "riflery", "shotgun", and "archery" merit badges.

Tirian
2007-11-10, 11:30 AM
*Raises hand*

Just for those of us who have or had a negative interest in this stuff, what exactly is SCA ?

The Society for Creative Anachronism. A bunch of college students roleplaying middle age European culture but without the serfs.

I don't think that the question is who would win the melee. The question is in two parts: do the Boy Scouts have enough first aid experience to heal their troops, and is global supply of mead sufficient for the SCA to properly celebrate their victory?

CrazedGoblin
2007-11-10, 11:47 AM
why did i just get the mental image of the ewoks on Endor???:smalltongue:

Saithis Bladewing
2007-11-10, 11:57 AM
The Society for Creative Anachronism. A bunch of college students roleplaying middle age European culture but without the serfs.

I don't think that the question is who would win the melee. The question is in two parts: do the Boy Scouts have enough first aid experience to heal their troops, and is global supply of mead sufficient for the SCA to properly celebrate their victory?

*High fives for answer of win.*

There's always enough mead if you pass the bottle around!

Chronos
2007-11-10, 12:54 PM
Both sides get some cool toys to play with. But the SCA relies on a select few members with specialized training, forges, and a supply of steel to make their toys. The Boy Scouts, though, you can send into the woods with nothing but a Swiss army knife each, and they'll make their own toys from scratch. Advantage: Boy Scouts.

Plus, the Scouts have better technology available. Forget about the rifles and shotguns... When was the last time you heard of an SCA member building a working nuclear reactor in the backyard using old clock paint, smoke detectors, and lantern mantles?

Saithis Bladewing
2007-11-10, 12:59 PM
Both sides get some cool toys to play with. But the SCA relies on a select few members with specialized training, forges, and a supply of steel to make their toys. The Boy Scouts, though, you can send into the woods with nothing but a Swiss army knife each, and they'll make their own toys from scratch. Advantage: Boy Scouts.

Plus, the Scouts have better technology available. Forget about the rifles and shotguns... When was the last time you heard of an SCA member building a working nuclear reactor in the backyard using old clock paint, smoke detectors, and lantern mantles?

Never, but I've yet to hear of a boyscout who did that earlier.

Things to point out: many people I met in the SCA were ex boy scouts, and I didn't meet a one who didn't know how to survive in the wilderness or make weapons with nothing but a Swiss army knife. Hell, everyone in our Clan could do it without one. :smalltongue:

Green Bean
2007-11-10, 01:06 PM
Scouts would win because the SCA would flee from the strange, advanced technology the Scouts wield. We have devices that can create light and heat without needing fire! Truly, the Scouts are powerful magicians.

averagejoe
2007-11-10, 01:18 PM
Boy scouts. They have the factor that will tip the balance; their Swiss Army Knives, or, as known by some, McGuyver knives.

You know why Switzerland never got invaded in WWII? I mean, the real reason? Because Germany knew the Swiss army is unbeatable. Because of their knives. SCA doesn't have a chance.

Timberwolf
2007-11-10, 01:32 PM

On the other hand, I was neither a scout nor one of these SCA people yet even I can go into a forest and come out with a perfectly servicable 2 foot branch of thwacketyness.

So much for that argument.

Gaelbert
2007-11-10, 01:35 PM
I would have to say Boy Scouts, even though I am incredibly biased (I'm an Eagle Scout and I've never heard of the SCA before now.) If my troop is any indication, we would have thousands of hyperactive midgets to send against the SCA. And if this is after their first viseit to summer camp, they'll have around 5 knives as well. The older scouts could stay to the back and use their pioneering skills to build catapults and elaborate traps involving trip wires, or just use the rifles, shotguns, and bows to pick off the SCA members. In addition, we are all trained in the arts of fire.

Mikeavelli
2007-11-10, 01:42 PM
The Atomic boy Scout (http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radscout.html) built a breeder reactor.

Take THAT, SCA.

Foeofthelance
2007-11-10, 04:47 PM
Boy Scouts take the win I'm afriad.

1) We have hyperactive midgets who are inbuilt pyromaniacs. Hand a couple of fresh scouts matches and watch SCA headquarters disappear in a poof of flame! Heck, we'll even build homemade flamethrowers with the old aerosol can trick. SCA members don't believe in things such as "bug spray" so are forced to make do with less advanced equipment.

2) Admittedly, the SCA has bows and arrows. And once more, admittedly, both can have some throw weight to them. Scouts, on the otherhand, have not only bows at their disposal, but shotguns and rifles as well. The SCA gets chopped down in a storm of lead should it come to ranged combat.

3) SCA is literally the definition of the term "weekend warrior". For Scouts, it is much more serious than just a weekend deal. Scouts must attend weekly meetings where they practice various combat skills, from fire building to first aid, as well arranging for monthly survival courses, where they practice boating, fishing, hiking, etc. This is disguised by awarding them "merit badges" when the scouts have proved their proficiency. Their unit strength is tested regularly at seasonal intervals. These tests are camouflaged under inocous names such as "Fall Camporee", "Klondike Derby", "Spring Camporee", and "Summer Camp". The true nature of these events becomes apparent quite readily, as at all four events Scouts are tested on their ability to produce the materials for, and the construction of, siege equipment. Normally a catapult of somesort, this is covered under the name "pioneering". Scouts are then required to undergo a competnecy demonstrationg, where they fight these catapults, generally with prizes going to the victors of these "innocent" games.

4) Scout organizations tend to own large tracts of land, providing training camps for their new recruits. They also have infiltrated schools and churches, buying community favor with such scams as "Scouting For Food" and "Eagle Projects", the latter of which must benefit the community. These acts are truly thinly veiled attempts to buy community loyalty, almost guarenteeing should the fight go south that the scouts could maintain a guerilla war from amidst the populace.

5) Scout indocrtination begins early, sometime as early as five years of age. Participants are encouraged to continue with the program until their eighteenth birthday, at whcih point they become leaders of their troops, are used to lead the next generation.

6) Scouts has a presence on all seven continents, including Antartica. This guarentees that at least some scouts will be capable, no matter the terrain presented.

7) Scouts has produced two support units, the Girl Scouts and Venture Scouts, from which it can draw reinforcements, should it prove necessary.

It is my unbiased opinion as an Eagle Scout that should the SCA seek to provide any action against the Scout organization, the SCA would fail to make any headway.