PDA

View Full Version : [Monster] You've Got Drive!

Maldraugedhen
2007-11-12, 09:32 AM
The Entrepreneurial Spirit

Size/Type: Medium Incorporeal Deathless
HD: 3D12 + 15
Initiative: +12
Speed: 50 ft. Flying (Perfect Maneuverability)
AC: 16 (+4 Dex, +2 deflection), Touch 16, Flat-footed 12
BAB/Grapple: +3 / -
Attack: Incorporeal touch +7 melee (1d4 plus 1d6 Wisdom damage)
Full Attack: Incorporeal touch +7 melee (1d4 plus 1d6 Wisdom damage)
Space/Reach: 5 ft / 5 ft
Special Attacks: Enthusiasm, Motivate, Spell-like Abilities, Possession
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Improved Evasion, Incorporeal Traits, Servitude, Undead Traits
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +8
Abilities: Str 0, Dex 18, Con 0, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 20
Skills: Diplomacy +10, Bluff +10, Gather Information +10, Sense Motive +10, Listen +3, Spot +3, Forgery +6, Appraise +6
Feats: Combat Casting, Improved Initiative x2, Mobility
Environment: Any, but most often found in deserted places of business or places where businesses could grow
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: One and a half times standard.
Alignment: Any chaotic.
Advancement: 4-6 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -.

Entrepreneurial Spirits are whimsical creatures found wherever they think a business could be--usually where businesses have been, or where there's a driving need for a business. They usually don't attempt combat at all, but will outright attack individuals in direct competition with their business plan. They usually charm or cast a quest on opponents first to get them to work for them, but if they prove to be too resistant for the charm or quest, then they will attempt to turn the other creature through combat. More often than not, however, Entrepreneurial Spirits simply invisibly haunt prime business locations and try to get businesses to form. An Entrepreneurial Spirit, however, will not stay if its business starts--it will instead leave to find a new business opportunity, and will not take any of the profits from the business with it.

An Entrepreneurial Spirit usually takes a form symbolic of the business they are trying to build, such as an anvil if a village is in serious need of a smith. Their forms are always white and ghostly (when visible at all).

Entrepreneurial Spirits will never work on the same business idea at the same time--however, they will cooperate if their businesses would also symbiotically cooperate.

Enthusiasm (Ex): An Entrepreneurial Spirit's attack deals 1d6 Wisdom Damage, and, on each attack, the target must make a Will save against DC 15 or be infected with the Big Idea. The Big Idea is a magical disease with an incubation period of 3 days. After the 3 days, the Big Idea begins to form in the individual's mind, and they cannot stop thinking about it. This gives a -2 penalty to all rolls and deals 1d4 Wisdom and Intelligence damage per day infected. When reduced to 0 Wisdom, however, treat the character as if they were reduced to low Intelligence instead (they do not begin sobbing to themselves in a nightmarish trance--they just babble incoherently). If a character falls to 0 Intelligence and Wisdom due to being infected with the Big Idea, they go insane, obsessed with the idea. They will not take any actions, but if killed while insane due to the Big Idea, they will rise as Entrepreneurial Spirits.

Improved Evasion (Ex): An Entrepreneurial Spirit has Improved Evasion as the Rogue special ability.

Motivate (Ex): The presence of an Entrepreneurial Spirit is a motivating thing. Creatures allied with an Entrepreneurial Spirit within 100 feet add a +4 morale bonus to all rolls, while opposed creatures add 2. Note that this bonus does not extend to saves to resist the effects of an Entrepreneurial Spirit.

Servitude: If captured, an Entrepreneurial Spirit becomes tamer, and is subsumed into the one who captured it. The individual who captures an Entrepreneurial Spirit may allow it to possess him at will, or simply assimilate it into his personality. Assimilating it into his personality grants a +2 insight bonus to Profession checks, and the character becomes infectiously enthusiastic. In gameplay terms, when the character rolls a critical success on a skill check, makes a critical hit, or otherwise rolls a natural 20, the character and all of his allies gain a +1 morale bonus on top of any current morale bonuses.

Spell-like Abilities:
Greater Invisibility 3/day, Suggestion 5/day, Charm Person 3/day, Lesser Geas 1/day, Suggestion. Effective Caster Level 3, casts as Sorcerer (primary casting attribute is Charisma), producing a Spell DC mod of 8.

Possession (Su): As a last-ditch effort, to ensure that the business opportunity does not go to waste, an Entrepreneurial Spirit will attempt to possess a nearby individual. An individual being possessed is allowed one Will saving throw at DC 18. If successful, the individual receives a +2 insight bonus to all Profession checks for the rest of their lives. If failed, the individual still receives the bonus to Profession checks, but also is infected with the Big Idea, and will continuously be re-infected (although the ability damage may be healed while infected) until the Entrepreneurial Spirit's business has been built. The character will still have the disease, however, once the business has been built--it will just no longer continuously reinfect the character.

DracoDei
2007-11-12, 09:38 AM
Quick technical points that came to me before really reading:

Positive energy undead -> Deathless... or do you not like the concept/mechanics of that?

STR and CON should be - not 0.

Do they object to fair market competition? Or only to people trying to stop them from even getting the business started? BTW in a modern setting I would say that they might stick around for at least 1 year after the business first started doing business... many start-ups fail in that period of time... you MIGHT want to give them some knowledge(Economics), Craft, and/or Profession skills, otherwise they are going to be tragically misguided a lot of the time... unless that is the effect you want.

Kinda a "light and fluffy" creature... especially with the joke of giving them double (stacking) "Improved Initiative".

Maldraugedhen
2007-11-12, 06:06 PM
Deathless seems to be absent from the SRD, so I didn't use it. My resources are somewhat sharply limited.

They do not object to the concept of fair market competition. However, they are prone to take 'competition' to an elevated level--to the extent where they act as though they don't. Mainly, though, so long as SOMEbody is doing what they want people to be doing and filling the niche that they see needs to be filled, they don't mind one way or the other (since they can't really do any of the work themselves).

Mewtarthio
2007-11-12, 10:12 PM
Deathless seems to be absent from the SRD, so I didn't use it. My resources are somewhat sharply limited.

Deathless are here (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/monsters/types.shtml).

Three issues:

Did you intend to make these guys give an untyped bonus to Profession permanently? It'd probably be better to give that bonus a type, such as "enhancment bonus" or "insight bonus" (can you apply inherent bonuses to skills?), or else it'll be self-stacking, and you'll end up with people hunting these guys down and intentionally getting possessed by them in large numbers.
You mention that the possession variant of "Big Idea" is cured by starting the business. What about the normal infection?
You mention in the flavor text that these guys like to put quests on people, but they have neither lesser geas nor geas/quest as SLAs.

Maldraugedhen
2007-11-13, 10:47 AM
D'oh, forgot to add Lesser Geas. And Suggestion, actually.

And I'll add a type to the Profession bonus.

Creating the business does not cure you from the Big Idea. It stops you from being continually re-infected. A Cure Disease spell will only reset the Big Idea to the beginning of the incubation period if you are possessed.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-13, 01:18 PM
This is great. Now I'm imagining a horrific medieval quarantine, with all the businessmen horded into a caged-in area in the center of the town, where they excitedly talk each other's ears off about the Big Idea. I picture the PCs walking through the slums of a city, and on the side of the road lies a beggar, shunned by everyone else, holding a cardboard sign that reads, "Need Venture Capital. Please Help. God Bless."

She ushered me in to the room where her husband lay on the bed. I had expected the worse, and on first glance I saw my fears were confirmed: Breaking out all over the bed were countless charts tracing demand, marginal costs, and revenue. Sketched out on the wall was the phrase 'NEEDS BARRIERS TO ENTRY.' I knew at a glance just what this man suffered, but the people always need to see their doctors go through the motions. I checked his eyes, and they gleamed manically back at me. I looked at his throat, and it was red and hoarse from wining and dining. I examined his hands, and they had exchanged so much silver they were beginning to show signs of argyria. The man turned to me. "You know, doc," he said, "I don't want any regrets. So before you go, I just have to tell you... if you find a way to charge people their precise willingness to pay you would maximize your profits while at the same time eliminating dead weight loss." I nodded.

When I turned around, his wife was looking at me, her eyes filled with that painful glimmer of hope that shakes me to my soul every time I see it, the hope of a child when they ask if the vet will make their dog better, the hope of a defendant while the jury deliberates over a life-or-death matter. I shook my head. I killed her hope like I'd killed the hopes of so many others: "I'm sorry, but he's been infected by an enterpenual spirit. His knowledge of economics is too advanced. I'm afraid there's nothing I can do."

Maldraugedhen
2007-11-14, 12:54 AM
Hahhahah!

I might have to give the Venture Capital Hobo a cameo appearance in the next campaign. That's just too awesome.

Added in some stuff on what 'assimilating a captured entrepreneurial spirit' actually does.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-11-14, 01:29 AM
Mewtarthio, I too will be using the Venture Capital Hobo in my next campaign. ANd may I say that the spoilered fiction piece is absolutely brilliant.