PDA

View Full Version : Starmantle

Illiterate Scribe
2007-11-12, 05:57 PM
Y'know, that spell that makes you immune to non-magic weapons and gives you a DC15 ref save to half the damage from magical ones.

Would this work with evasion?http://www.rationalwiki.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif

The_Snark
2007-11-12, 06:01 PM
Inclined to think not, based on the text for Evasion and the example of Defensive Roll:

At 2nd level and higher, a rogue can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage

Since this effect would not normally allow a character to make a Reflex save for half damage, the rogue’s evasion ability does not apply to the defensive roll.

Emphases mine. Attacks do not normally allow Reflex saves for half.

That is an absurd spell no matter how you look at it, though.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-12, 06:02 PM
Sweet merciful Paul Atreides, NO! What was WotC thinking? :eek:

NB That's no so much a definitive answer as it is an agonized cry of sheer horror.

Douglas
2007-11-12, 06:05 PM
As The_Snark says, a rogue's class ability would not apply because attacks do not "normally" allow a save for half damage. A Ring of Evasion would, however:

This ring continually grants the wearer the ability to avoid damage as if she had evasion. Whenever she makes a Reflex saving throw to determine whether she takes half damage, a successful save results in no damage.

Yes, it's broken, but that's what the RAW says.

Crow
2007-11-12, 06:18 PM
RAW is not the be-all and end-all. Let your DM make the call. I would suggest contacting Customer Service, but those guys are idiots sometimes, so take their "rulings" with a grain of salt.

JaxGaret
2007-11-12, 06:21 PM
RAW is not the be-all and end-all. Let your DM make the call. I would suggest contacting Customer Service, but those guys are idiots sometimes, so take their "rulings" with a grain of salt.

QFT.

It's really up to the DM.