PDA

View Full Version : i wonder wonderous wonders.

RandomNPC
2007-11-12, 05:57 PM
so i've wondered a few wonders.

1: what is this storm trooper thing everyone keeps talking about? (by everyone i mean i saw it in more than one thread.) i think it's a feat?

2: do female minotaurs have udders?

3: last time i checked, if my character were to swing on a rope they stop mid swing at the end of the action, and finish the swing next turn. do i fall at a rate of 30ft/round? a full retreat of 120?

4: what level is bugs bunny? he can paint portable tunnels on walls that only work for himself, thats gotta be some kind of artifact power.

5: looking at magic missiles target discriptor, what exactly is in the darkness?

ok so the odd ones are the real questions, but i wouldn't mind answers to 2 and 4.

puppyavenger
2007-11-12, 06:18 PM
5: looking at magic missiles target discriptor, what exactly is in the darkness?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/umbralBlot.htm

Icewalker
2007-11-12, 06:22 PM
Actually, I don't think that's where the whole 'I shoot magic missile at the darkness' thing started...

Interesting questions though.

Chronos
2007-11-12, 06:25 PM
For question 1, you're probably misremembering Shock Trooper. It does a few things, but the one folks are most interested in is that when you're using Power Attack, it lets you take a penalty to your AC, instead of a penalty to your attack. The basic idea is that you can survive any counterattack by utterly squishing your opponent before he has a chance to counterattack you.

For question 4, he's presumably using either Marvelous Pigments (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#marvelousPigments) or a Portable Hole (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#portableHole).

JaxGaret
2007-11-12, 06:26 PM
Well, I'll answer the one serious question... Shock Trooper can be found in the Complete Warrior, and is excellent for any charger build.

daggaz
2007-11-12, 06:27 PM
Female minotaurs do not have udders. Minotaurs have the upper bodies of men, so a female minotaur would have human breasts.... And although they are animal from the waist down, a cow's udders are actually above its 'waist' (look at the pelvis and the vertebrae to figure it out, this can be hard to figure out on modern day milk cows, because their udders are abnormally large and tend to jut out between their legs), placed instead on the what would be the lower stomach of a human. So yeah, definitely no udders.

JaxGaret
2007-11-12, 06:28 PM
For question 4, he's presumably using either Marvelous Pigments (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#marvelousPigments) or a Portable Hole (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#portableHole).

They could be Ring Gates (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#ringGates) combined with Marvelous Pigments.

2007-11-12, 06:32 PM
Actually, I don't think that's where the whole 'I shoot magic missile at the darkness' thing started...

Interesting questions though.

Dead Ale Wives D&D audio.

Look it up, its pretty funny.

"WHERE ARE THE CHEETOES!?"

MCerberus
2007-11-12, 06:33 PM
If Batman were a rogue, would he be a skill monkey or combat oriented? He just seems to have stats everywhere he needs them. Maybe he rolled natural 18s for them all.

daggaz
2007-11-12, 06:34 PM
Ok this is slight thread derailment, but is it kinda related to question number two.

If you wanna see something real wierd, take a closer look at female elephants sometime. They have two, very human looking breasts (except for the thick grey skin) placed right between their forelegs. Its just, freaking bizarre... I know of no other quadrapeds that have breasts like this.

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-12, 06:44 PM
Ok this is slight thread derailment, but is it kinda related to question number two.

If you wanna see something real wierd, take a closer look at female elephants sometime. They have two, very human looking breasts (except for the thick grey skin) placed right between their forelegs. Its just, freaking bizarre... I know of no other quadrapeds that have breasts like this.
Ok, I've just got to ask...
What lead you to make that kind of observation?

Temp
2007-11-12, 09:40 PM
1: what is this storm trooper thing everyone keeps talking about? (by everyone i mean i saw it in more than one thread.) i think it's a feat?Probably Shock Trooper, which was mentioned before. Alternatively, it could have been Stormguard Warrior from the ToB.

SW comes up relatively often; it lets a character replace all their attacks in a round with touch attacks that deal no damage. The next round, every attack the character makes deals an extra 5 damage for each of the touch attacks which hit.

It also lets you turn down Attacks of Opportunity for Bonuses to attack and damage rolls in the next round.

RandomNPC
2007-11-13, 05:39 PM
Elephant thing, hilarious.

thanks everyone, the shock trooper thing, can it be paired with Power attack for even more glory, or is it one or the other? for example, with BA5 can i shock trooper 3 and power attack 2?
also, for super cheese, with BA5 can i Shock trooper 5 and power attack 5?

The Linky to the answer about the darkness, great answer. I've seen a few different videos with the same audio about shooting the darkness, can i have some mountain dew, are there any girls there? all that. Good audio, funny stuf, i just wanted to know what was being aimed at seeing as you need to aim magic missile at something.

my thoughts on bugs bunny, he's a demi-deity of anamalistic humor, and can do whatever he wants. i just made that up but i like it so i'm keping it.

anyway, thanks for giving me your time, i like the marvelous pigments/ring gates as well... oy. so thanks, i'll have more questions later.

Zincorium
2007-11-13, 05:44 PM
thanks everyone, the shock trooper thing, can it be paired with Power attack for even more glory, or is it one or the other? for example, with BA5 can i shock trooper 3 and power attack 2?
also, for super cheese, with BA5 can i Shock trooper 5 and power attack 5?

Er, I humbly suggest you read the feat. However you can.

Because there is no 'shock trooper for 3'. Instead, by taking a penalty of over -5 with power attack on a charge, you can change the penalty from to-hit to an AC penalty. Which means you connect when power attacking for maximum.

Burrito
2007-11-13, 06:17 PM
Female minotaurs do not have udders. Minotaurs have the upper bodies of men, so a female minotaur would have human breasts.... And although they are animal from the waist down, a cow's udders are actually above its 'waist' (look at the pelvis and the vertebrae to figure it out, this can be hard to figure out on modern day milk cows, because their udders are abnormally large and tend to jut out between their legs), placed instead on the what would be the lower stomach of a human. So yeah, definitely no udders.

But udders would be.... so much funnier!

Burrito
2007-11-13, 06:38 PM
so i've wondered a few wonders.
3: .....do i fall at a rate of 30ft/round?

Well, not according to physics, but then when have physics ever had anything to do with D&D. :)

This is a good site (http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/newtlaws/efar.html)
using nice round numbers, falling is 10 m/s/s
where 10 = 10
and m = meters
and s = second
and the other s also = second. Ten meters per second per second.

After one second you fall about 15 feet, after two you have fallen about 60, after three you have fallen about 135 feet and by the time you have fallen 5 seconds you have gone a distance of 375 feet. Ouch.

MCerberus
2007-11-13, 06:41 PM
Yes but what's terminal velocity for a plate mailed fighter? If he has a spiked chain can he use it to lower it a couple m/s? *helicopter*

Meanwhile on planet Catgirl - "OH GOD IT BURNS"

Burrito
2007-11-13, 06:46 PM
That would depend on air density, and the aerodynamicness (word?) of said plate mailed individual. Weight has nothing to do with speed of fall, since we all know all objects fall at the same rate(in a vacume anyway).

*Yes, catgirls are dying by the hundreds here, but it is for the good of the species. Otherwise they would overpopulate and start dying slowly of disease and starvation.

Hawriel
2007-11-13, 06:49 PM
a warcow would have udders.

MCerberus
2007-11-13, 06:54 PM
That would depend on air density, and the aerodynamicness (word?) of said plate mailed individual. Weight has nothing to do with speed of fall, since we all know all objects fall at the same rate(in a vacume anyway).

*Yes, catgirls are dying by the hundreds here, but it is for the good of the species. Otherwise they would overpopulate and start dying slowly of disease and starvation.

Terminal velocity is based on your mass, shape, and local force of gravity reaching a point where gravity and air resistance are in such a balance to prevent any further acceleration.

Ignore the above I worded it horribly.

Alright Terminal Velocity -

As you fall you accelerate, but air resists your fall slowing it. As you go faster the air resists more because you push through it faster. Now, you will reach a point where the resistance = the local force of gravity and you stay at the same velocity.

It has mass as a variable because the more momentum you have, the more resistance it will take to slow you. Interestingly enough the "leaning tower" experiment that was used to prove that things of different weight fall at the same rate was a dud. The heavier ball DID actually land first but at that height the difference was so small nobody could notice.

You can decrease your terminal velocity by increasing your contact area with the air (like parachutes).

Burrito
2007-11-13, 07:10 PM
Your right, I was simply giddy with the excitement, and didn't really proof-read my post.

for more cat-girl slaughtering fun...Has anybody really thought about what would really happen if Reverse Gravity was cast?

RandomNPC
2007-11-13, 07:16 PM
so anti-gravity. you could swim through the air, like the guys on the nasa videos. but if you caught even a bit of the ground (asumeing loose dirt or small stone) you'd have bits of ground floating around possibly hitting you in odd directions. i'd go for it.

didn't the cows in diablo2 have udders? for those who don't know, they were cows walking on two legs, carrying pole arms. not minotaurs, cows walking on two legs.

moo moo moo, moo moo.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-13, 07:38 PM
a warcow would have udders.

Heh. Warcow. That's awesome. That'd be the best paladin mount ever.

Alex12
2007-11-13, 08:16 PM
Heh. Warcow. That's awesome. That'd be the best paladin mount ever.

Paladin, upon seeing his Celestial mount: "Wh-? Where is my mighty steed? Pelor! Thou hast promised me a holy steed!"
Pelor: "What? Steed? Oh, sorry, I thought you said steer. My bad."
Paladin::smalleek:

Nonah_Me
2007-11-13, 08:28 PM
Paladin, upon seeing his Celestial mount: "Wh-? Where is my mighty steed? Pelor! Thou hast promised me a holy steed!"
Pelor: "What? Steed? Oh, sorry, I thought you said steer. My bad."
Paladin::smalleek:

Ahh Pelor. Neutral Good doesn't mean Neutered Sense of Humor.

Pelor: "What? It's still celestial."

Alex12
2007-11-13, 08:35 PM
Ahh Pelor. Neutral Good doesn't mean Neutered Sense of Humor.

Pelor: "What? It's still celestial."

I just had to say something like that when warcows as celestial mounts were mentioned. I just had to. Life only very rarely gives me opportunities like that, so I take them whenever I can.:smallsmile:

Chronos
2007-11-13, 09:37 PM
Holy Cow.

for more cat-girl slaughtering fun...Has anybody really thought about what would really happen if Reverse Gravity was cast?Oh, yes, to quite a great extent, especially when it's permanencied. I literally think about gravity for a living. For starters, you can build perpetual motion machines around the edges. It makes great fixed-position artillery: You dig a long, vertical shaft through stone, curving a bit at the end. Shovel boulders in at the bottom, and the fall to the top of the shaft, roll down the slope, and head out onto the battlefield (and then lower stones back to the bottom on winches, for more free energy). For the more aesthetically inclined, you could make one heck of a fountain.

Even I, though, shudder to contemplate what would happen if you cast it on a black hole.