PDA

View Full Version : Bertram's Shadow: Misfits



Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Breten
2007-11-13, 11:37 AM
Staring down at the invitation in your hands you read the strange silvery script again to make sure that you have the address right. In precise, elegent letters you find the words you have read probably a hundred times since a grey cloaked figure handed you the invitation under the strangest of circumstances


Greetings Bold Adventurer!
It is with great pleasure that you are hereby invited to attend Bertram's School for Adventurers! You come highly recommended to us and you have been granted a scholarship to cover all tuition and room and board. Classes begin 2 days after Highharvestide. To enroll in the school present yourself on the first day of class at the backdoor of the Happy Harpy Inn in Arabel. From there you will be escorted to famed Castle Fastflow. Please arrive before dusk. We can not vouch for the safety of those whom arrive late. The Ogres get hungry after dark.

You look up again at the faded sign nailed over the door in a foul smelling alley in one of the more unsavoury parts of town. The crude painting seems to depict a harpy sitting on the chest of a adventurer eating his heart. Above the sign in barely legible common the letters Hape Harpe in what you sincerely HOPE is red paint.

You take a deep breath, and immediately regret it as the stench of human waste and other more unpleasant odours assaults you. Finally you step up and knock on the door.

The door flies open and you are staring up at a very large, very ugly ogre wearing faded leathers, and incongrously a spotless white apron.

What do you want?

The creature bellows at you.

Hestitantly you hold out the invitation.

Oh. Your another one of THEM. Well then, hurry along. I ain't got all day. Why I let that charmer Bertram talk me into playing housemother to these wet behind the ears want to be adventurers I'll never know! I swear that man could charm the tentacles of an Ithillid if you give him the chance. Well! Don't stand there gaping! Follow me.

The large matron of the Inn leads you through a back hall and up a flight of rickety stairs. At the top of the stairs the points you to the door of what appears to a broom closet.

There you go. On with you. I don't have time to sit holding your hand all day! The ogre growls at you in a strangely affectionate gravelly voice.

You grab ahold of the door nob of the closet and open it. Inside instead of cleaning supplies (which you doubt would ever be used in such a place) you find a doorway of shimmering silver light. You stare transfixed at the portal. You had heard of such things...but to see one..in such a place as this.

Enough dawdling! cries the ogress On with you now!

And with a firm shove you are pushed into contact with the portal and your world shimmers and disolves around you

lostlittlebear
2007-11-13, 12:23 PM
(I'm just posting first because I want to reserve RED!)

Julius tumbles into the strange new world with a undignified "eep"! Brushing himself off, he timidly surveys his new surroundings.

"Hello, anyone there?"

Breten
2007-11-13, 01:45 PM
With a wave of disorientation and nausea you find yourself suddenly standing before the front gates of a massive castle. The walls are masterfully hewn and atleast 50ft high. The gates are of wrought iron and a worked with intwined dragons fighting each other. Below you a path leads down a hill into woods. In the distance you see the Immersflow river and a village on its shores.

Ah. I see you made it. Excellent. We have been expecting you. Welcome to Bertram's.

You turn to see a dour man whom you would guess to be in his forties dressed in plain my high quality black and grey clothes. Around his neck he wears a silver amulet worked with the sigil of Bertram's: A dragon entwined around a harp.

There will be an assembly at dusk is the parade grounds. In the meantime you will be lead to you quarters. You have been assigned to the Blue squad.

He touches his amulet and a small blue ball of light appears in front of you.

Follow this and it will lead you to your squads barracks. Stow your gear and get to know your other squadmates. Food will be available if you wish it. When to bell tolls the light will lead you to the parade grounds. Do not go exploring. The castle has many defences magical and mudane and wandering the wrong place could lead to....unpleasantness

With a gesture of his hand the wide doors to the castle swing open and he walks through disappearing into the darkness inside almost immediately. When you have the presence of mind to follow...he is gone. You stand for a moment gaping at the long hall filled with tapestries, priceless art and weapons and suits of armour on display at regular intervals. Then you notice the light bobbing in front of you with a start. As you turn to look at it, it begins moving down the hallway, and you are forced to jog to catch up to it. It leads you through several twists and turns, and down a set of stairs. Already you feel lost in the vastness of the place. Finally you emerge through a large door into an open area. The walls of the castle extend in all directions and you realise they must be over a mile square. The light leads you to a cluster of small one storey building, each marked over with a different colour sign over the door. YOu follow the light to the building marked with a blue sign.

Entering the building you find a clean open room with 6 bunks each with a small footlocker at its foot. Through door from this room there is another smaller room with table with 6 chairs around it, and a servingtable which is well stocked with fresh bread, cheeses and cold meats. There is also well watered wine, some kind of berry punch and and water offered. A quick look into the final door reveals jakes and an area to wash.

As you turn back into the main room you realise that others have arrive.

(Feel free to describe yourself and do introductions in character)

Kyroswolf
2007-11-13, 02:52 PM
Gamiel surveys his new surroundings from atop Gizmo as they follow the light through the castle. Upon finding the quarters he deposits his backpack on one of the beds. He also leans his half-spear against the wall with his shield and removes Gizmo's saddle, briddle, and saddlebags. "This is certainly more than we are used to isn't it, Giz? What's this?" The gnome and the dog closely inspect the jakes and wash areas as they have never seen them before. Gizmo thoroughly fills himself and even Gamiel takes a sip, both very thirsty from the journey.

Remounting Gizmo, Gamiel returns to the main chamber, "Oh, hello there. Name's Gamiel Dinasegehed and this is Gizmo." He dismounts and pats Gizmo on his flanks, reaching up to do so.

The pair look quite odd their, a small Gnome standing beside a truly massive dog. Gamiel is dressed simply in loose clothing of forest greens and browns. He could easily disappear into nearly any wooded area in the world. His face is young but his green eyes betray the wisdom behind them, but none of the mischievousness his kind is known for shines there.

Beside the small Gnome stands Gizmo, his nearly constant drool poring from his open mouth, tongue lagging out has he pants to cool himself, still a little tired from their travels. His short dark brown fur is well groomed and filled with wrinkles that hide the dogs strength beneath them.

Adjudicator
2007-11-13, 03:50 PM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal entered the Happy Harpy Inn, looking forward to a restful night. The journey from the Stonelands had not been easy, especially since he practically had to pass the school on his way. Being from outside Cormyr proper, Torgal had never really seen a large city before. The Stonelands were not a place to cultivate civilization and the only real knowledge of Cormyr Torgal had came from the random Purple Dragon Knight patrols that he would see from time to time.

Following the massive ogre up the stairs to the portal, Torgal is literally speechless in awe. He had heard of high magic and how common it was elsewhere, but had never expected to see something as amazing as a portal for traveling. Stepping through, he adjusted quite rapidly to the scenery around him, recognizing the world beyond the walls as similar to his home in the Stonelands. Following the light from the well-dressed man at the portal's exit, Torgal took in the sights of the school.

Upon entering the bunk room, Torgal immediately took off his fairly light pack and claimed one of the top bunks by removing his chain shirt and slipping it onto the mattress. leaving a simple cloth shirt of nondescript brown to match his leather leggings. He marveled at the softness of the bed; living off the land with his tribe had meant a blanket and a tent was normal sleeping accomodations. Torgal wasn't too sure about sleeping under a roof, this cut off from the outside world. Still, it would be nice to sleep on something this soft, he thought.

As he leaned his longspear against the wall next to his bunk and stashed his pack in one of the footlockers, Torgal heard someone exiting the door at the end of the room. Turning, he had to struggle to keep his jaw from dropping. Torgal had never seen a creature so small as the one walking out next to the rather large mastiff.

"Oh, hello there. Name's Gamiel Dinasegehed and this is Gizmo."

Torgal roused himself with a start. "Good eve, Gamiel. I am Torgal Wynn, of the Windstrider tribe. I wish you peace on your journeys and strength in your battles," Torgal replied automatically, using his tribe's common greeting for strangers. Torgal hesitated and then plunged ahead with the question building behind his eyes. "If you don't mind, Gamiel, what, exactly, are you? I don't know that I've ever met someone as small as you, and if I had, I would expect Gizmo there to be having you for lunch!" Torgal continued with a grin.

As he spoke with Gamiel, Torgal stuck his head through the other doors and, seeing the food laid out, immediately went and picked up several pieces of fruit and bit into the first one that came to hand.

Lochar
2007-11-13, 04:22 PM
Tarrin enters the portal cautiously, giving an odd look at the ogress. As the wave of disorientation passes over him, Tarrin comes through the portal hands raised, his fingernails actually slightly elongated.

At the peaceful reception, he shakes himself. Then follows the bouncing light, stretching out his walking pace a little to keep up with the quicker moving ball of light. Someone's having fun with this, I can tell.

Noticing the others already in the room, Tarrin nods to them. "Tarrin Kael. Nice to meet you both. I assume we're roommates?" He holds out a well calloused hand to the taller of the two, and then squats to offer it to the smaller one. You can notice he wears a ring, reasonably well made. He then throws his backpack onto one of the unclaimed bunks closest to the door."So... who else do you think they'll toss in here with the lot of us?"

Tarrin looks at the door, nearly completely black eyes focused on it for a moment, before shrugging and pulling of a helm, running his hand through thick brown hair.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-13, 04:29 PM
"If you don't mind, Gamiel, what, exactly, are you? I don't know that I've ever met someone as small as you, and if I had, I would expect Gizmo there to be having you for lunch!"

Gamiel laughs a bit at Torgal's straightforwardness. Maybe these new people won't take as much getting used to as he thought. He hops atop Gizmo, who follows Torgal into the other room. "I am of the race called gnomes. We are a small people known for our curiosity and a penchant for illusions. For example." Tulkin gestures towards the table. Above the food appears four balls of light which begin to perform a magical dance as they zip around each other. "I, however, grew up in the forest, away from my kind so I do not have as much skill as some of my kind do. I prefer being with my friend here." He reaches down an pats Gizmo.

"As to why he doesn't eat me? Believe it or not when I found him two years ago I could hold him in my hands. He was barely weaned. He appeared to be the last survivor from the litter. I found his mothers body, as well the bodies of several more pups. I took it upon my self to raise him, and he has been my best friend ever since." Gamiel pauses has he laughs slightly. "The funny part is, Gizmo was the runt."

Gamiel joins Torgal at the table. He takes several fruits and nuts for his plate, and passes some of the meat to Gizmo, who had already dragged a good helping onto the floor himself.



"So... who else do you think they'll toss in here with the lot of us?"

"There will be more? This is certainly going to be a crowded place, Gizmo."

"Why don't you share abit about yourself?" he asks his two new companions.

Randel
2007-11-13, 04:49 PM
Lukas

A young man enters his room wearing clean everyday clothes and carrying a bag of his things. A small black raven perched on his shoulder, he looks a bit shaken and nervous, he looks around the room to find a place to sit down.

"Inns with pictures of harpies on it... a ogres matron... swirling portals leading to a school in a huge castle..."

He shakes his head at it all and looks to the Raven on his shoulder. "What have we gotten into, Sampo? This is like... something out of a fairytale or a bestselling series of childrens books." The raven on his shoulder glares at him. "Okay, okay... but now I'm starting to think I should have been studying my history instead of reading those Lar..."

"Oh, hello there. Name's Gamiel Dinasegehed and this is Gizmo."

Lukas blinks as he sees a gnome and his dog chatting with a man with a longspear.

"Yeah... probably."

He gathers his courage and approaches them, figuring good first impressions are what he would need the most.

"Hello, I'm Lukas Breen and this is my raven Sampo. So, did you guys have to go through a magic portal to get here too?"

Lochar
2007-11-13, 04:55 PM
Tarrin

"Myself? Orphan. Since I was all of..." he pauses for a moment, thinking. four I guess. I grew up a street brawler. Surprised the hell out of my to get some guy in shadows showing up offering my a schooling. Figured I'd be on the streets for life." Tarrin nods. Sounds about right.

He looks to the new arrival. "Weird ogres, magic portals, schools in castle? Check. Howdy bunkmate. What's your story?"

Adjudicator
2007-11-13, 04:57 PM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal nodded as Gamiel spoke. "Amazing, Gamiel. Well, it is truly a pleasure to meet you. I enjoy new things, and you definitely qualify. And a good eve to you as well, Gizmo."

Torgal reached out to shake the hands of Tarrin and Lukas as they entered and introduced themselves, repeating the traditional greeting he had used with Gamiel.

So, did you guys have to go through a magic portal to get here too?"

Torgal nodded his reply as he finished off a mouthful of apple. "Aye, and a strange and wondrous thing it was. The magic of this place is used so commonly that it still amazes me. In my homelands, we rarely see magic in use except for the dragons, when they fight, and the clerics that normally accompany Cormyr's Purple Dragon Knights. There's no doubt that this will be a strange land to live in."

Torgal stood and stretched, looking out the windows at the setting sun. "Apparently we'll be called for at Two Bells, sometime around dusk. I hope we find out more about our classes then. I'm looking forward to learning more from these folks. Bertram's is famous in the Stonelands."

Randel
2007-11-13, 05:09 PM
Lukas

Looking to Tarrin, Lukas answers. "Oh, I grew up in a small town quite a ways from here... we ate well but it was a small town and when I started displaying an affinity for magic my father didn't want my potential wasted. So, after a while he was able to get me a scholarship to learn here. Hopefully with professional instructors I'll be able to really do something."

Sampo meanwhile looks down at Gizmo, tilting his head curiously as he looks at the big dog.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-13, 05:10 PM
Myself? Orphan.

This statement brings back dark half memories and hidden emotions within Gamiel. His expressions saddens for a moment as he ponders the parents he never knew.


Hello, I'm Lukas Breen and this is my raven Sampo. So, did you guys have to go through a magic portal to get here too?

The question brings Gamiel back to himself and he brightens again as he answers,"Hello, Lukas. Names Gamiel and this is Gizmo. Yes we come through the portal. I've see scrying portals before, but that was the first portal I've ever traveled through. Gizmo needed a bit of coaxing for that one."


I'm looking forward to learning more from these folks. Bertram's is famous in the Stonelands.

"I'm also quite looking forward to classes, though I must say it was more curiosity than reputation that brought me here."


Gamiel finally notices Lukas's intrigue with Gizmo. "Go ahead. He only bites on command," laughing at his half joke.

Randel
2007-11-13, 06:39 PM
Lukas

Lukas blinks at this and then reaches down to pet the big dog on the head. His raven Sampo flutters off of his shoulder as he leans down and lands on one of the bedposts, looking around the room from his new vantage point.

Lochar
2007-11-13, 08:07 PM
Tarrin

Tarrin looks around at the beds and chairs. Six beds and chairs, room for six. Wonder if we'll end up with two more, or if our headmaster has a sense of humor and gave beds to the pets?"

Tarrin shrugs and lays down on his bed, looking up at the ceiling. "Doesn't really matter though." He stops and thinks for a moment. "Weird guy said dusk is when we'd get called, right? I'd love to have a look around this place, but I'm really fond of my skin, and I'd rather not lose it to what he so affectionately termed unpleasantness."

He sits up. "Although, I'd hope we get an actual person to lead us, instead of following the bouncing ball again."

Kyroswolf
2007-11-13, 11:01 PM
Gamiel hops from Gizmo's back onto the bed where he placed his pack. "I'd certainly prefer a guide or map for at least my first day here. After that, I'm sure Gizmo and I can find our way around. Oh if any of you guys are thirsty they have water in basins in that room." He points to the door leading to the jakes and wash basins, just as Gizmo pushes his way inside and can be heard lapping happily from one of the basins.

Darkantra
2007-11-13, 11:44 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

The journey from outside Suzail to Arabel had been easy, though Essel purposefully dogged his steps. He hadn't been sure that going to this school was the best thing to do but there weren't really any other options. After arriving in Arabel it only took a little asking around before someone pointed him in the right direction. When he knocked on the back door it practically exploded outwards from the force of the Ogre matron's push. Essel had to wave to get her to look down. After the bellowing introduction he was led to the closet, where the shimmering portal beckoned to him.

"Umm, are you sure this is sa--AAHH!"

The ogre's shove sent him head over heels through the portal. The world blinked out and then swerved back into focus, and only quick reflexes kept him from landing face first on the dusty trail. Surveying the castle Essel gives a low whistle. "If there were any place to make some money," he thought, "It'd be here."

After getting filled in by the grey-dressed man Essel began following the blue light, giving several whistles at the tapestries and armor that lined the wall. He eyed the other passages curiously but held back his desire to explore. The blue light led him into the courtyard and up the path to the blue themed building. He could hear other people from inside the door, and after a moment of pause he mumbled, "Well, here I am." and opened the door.

A quick glance showed him four people and a raven in the main room, three humans and a gnome all chatting with each other.

"Hi, I'm Essel Lightningfoot, guess you guys got the mystery invite too."

He nods to each one in turn, smiling, then moves to the second-last empty bunk to drop his belongings.

Essel is dressed in mostly leather and wool, firm traveling gear, and moves with the quickness of all halflings. His dark eyes speak of intelligence but the most noticeable thing about him is the preciseness in his movements.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-14, 11:50 AM
Gamiel looks quickly over the newcomer from his bed then hops to the floor. Offering his hand to Essel he introduces himself and Gizmo. "Glad to know I won't be the shortest of our group, barely." Gizmo comes beside Gamiel sticking his nose to the back of Essel's head, sniffing loudly. Essel is possibly the first humanoid Gizmo has encountered that is similar in build to Gamiel.

Gamiel calls to Gizmo as he returns to his bed. Gizmo hops atop it as well laying at the foot of the bed, taking up even more room than Gamiel laying with his head on the pillow.

Darkantra
2007-11-14, 03:31 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

"Glad to know I won't be the shortest of our group, barely."

Essel chuckles at that and shakes the gnomes hand

"It's always about the height, good to meet ya though." He stiffens a bit at the enormous dog snuffling him and manages to squeek out, "Good boy..."

Once the gnome and his dog settle down in their bunk Essel does the same.

"So, anyone know we got invited? I'd have to say that it isn't normal to be invited to a prestidgious academy out of nowhere like I was."

Lochar
2007-11-14, 03:42 PM
Tarrin

"An odd invitation was my introduction as well. I'd half feared I was about to be caught by the local guard's mage for some idiocy. I haven't stolen from anyone in years."

Tarrin shrugs. "As for anyone knowing we were invited? I assume that the headmaster would, as would anyone that is supposed to directly deal with us. Other than that? Most will assume we're here just as anyone else is."

Darkantra
2007-11-14, 04:18 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

"At least it's good to know that I'm not the only one without a clue. So, who is everyone here? Like I said, I'm Essel, trained in the art of scouting."

Kyroswolf
2007-11-14, 04:47 PM
"I am what many call a druid, a follower of nature. I was quite surprised by my invitation to come here. I had heard some of it's reputation, but never expected to attend." Gamiel is laying on his back, his eyes closed. Gizmo is snoring soundly loudly at his feet.

Adjudicator
2007-11-14, 04:55 PM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal hoisted himself onto the top bunk, as the room started to fill up.

"I am Torgal Wynn, of the Windstrider tribe. I am a representative of the clan of Brass dragons that lives near my tribes hunting grounds." Torgal paused to attempt to recall a memory. "I cannot say that I know who exactly handed me my invitation. It was a cloaked figure that was with a company of Purple Dragon Knights who assisted my tribe during a dragon fight. I never did see his face, but the commander of the Dragon Knights swore that it was a legitimate offer, so my elders felt I should at least make the journey."

Darkantra
2007-11-14, 07:23 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel brightens after hearing Gizmo speak of his vocation and a big grin fills his face.

"A druid, that's great! My mentor told me a lot about those who follow nature's path. It's great to meet another wild walker. And dragons?" he lets out a low impressed whistle towards Torgal, "You probably have some tales to tell."

The halfling stretches out and flops down completely onto his bunk.

Lochar
2007-11-14, 07:28 PM
Tarrin

"Like I said before you showed up, I've grown up on the streets. I'm a brawler by nature and need. I don't mind wearing a bit of armor to stop the occasional blow, but my fists and fingers are all I need for weapons."

Breten
2007-11-14, 08:02 PM
Your conversation is suddenly interupted by the door flying open and a high mocking voice loudly announcing:

Well well. I guess the rumours are true. They do let in a bunch of charity cases and losers each year. I guess someone has to pull down the bell curve so the merchant brats can manage to pass

Framed in the failing light of the door way stands a individual in heavy plate armour. He is not tall, but almost as wide as he is high and obviously muscled underneath his armour. A greataxe hangs across his shoulder, and the blazing sword of Tempus is emblazoned boldly across his chest.

He steps arrogantly into the room, looking around with obvious distaste at each member of the group. Immediately behind him two beautiful women stride in, one in dark black leathers with long raven hair to match, and the other in a very low cut green dress, expensive jewelry and chestnut brown hair framing her face in tight ringlets.

Ugh. And they even let in demi-humans...and dogs. I swear I don't know what Bertram is thinking. And this one, he looks to be a barbarian of some kind. Does this school not have any standards? mutters the black clad beauty, acting as if the party was not even there. But the other female looks over each of the group with a slow smile, lingering on Torgal with a brazenly speculative look on her face

Don't be too hard on them sister darling. Not everyone can have Silver blood now can they. Besides the big one there looks like he could be....entertaining

Lochar
2007-11-14, 08:12 PM
Tarrin

Tarrin, still resting on the bed, raises an eyebrow at the woman, before raising a fist. He lifts the fingers, showing off the ring for a moment, before the fingers all fall except the middle. The finger seems to elongate for a moment into a sharp pointed claw. "Want to play?"

Adjudicator
2007-11-14, 08:36 PM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal bit back any anger as he slid off his bunk and stood beside Tarrin's bed. Barbarian he might be, but Torgal had learned to ration his anger and store it up for when he might need it. The Stonelands were no place for uncontrolled rage, it just got you killed. Besides, he recognized a ploy to provoke someone when he saw it.

Still, one had to admire the sheer bravado behind Tarrin's response and Torgal cracked a grin. Until he remembered the lady in green. Torgal always had been a sucker for red-haired ladies. The barbarian lad swallowed a little less maturely as the woman in green's sultry smile grew.

Darkantra
2007-11-14, 08:49 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel flips up from his bunk and lands near to his gear, not at all happy about the demihuman comment.

"Don't bother with the 'ladies', Torgar, Tarrin. By the way they dress," the little halfling gives them a raised eyebrowed look as he scans their bodies, "They're already used goods."

He keeps his eyes on the big man though, ready to pick up his shortsword if the axe-weilder starts trouble.

Breten
2007-11-14, 10:17 PM
The large cleric explodes into laughter at the halflings words

On that you can be sure pipsqueek!

The dark clad woman's eyes turn in settle on the cleric in a steely way that suddenly silences the clerics laughter with quiet promise of revenge, but woman in green merely smiles.

There now little one. Such harsh words. It isn't very friendly now is it. But you DO want to be my friend, don't you?


As the woman leans seductively over the halfling both Essel and Tarrin both notice the sudden flick of the womans fingers in strange movements but react too late to do anything

Essel gets a will save [roll0]

and makes it

both can make a spellcraft check to try to recognise what just happened

Randel
2007-11-14, 11:04 PM
Lukas

"I guess someone has to pull down the bell curve to the merchant brats can manage to pass"

Lukas blinks at this, though he remains quiet standing behind the others. He's not really comfortable with conversations and thinks to himself. "Wait, did he just say 'to' instead of 'so'? What the hell kind of person mistakes a t for an s? And he came all the way over here just to annoy us with his floo... I mean girlfriends? This seems strangely familiar."

Remembering his parents advice on dealing with girls... or more specifically dealing with girls who dress like jailbait. He avoids looking at them and thereby doesn't notice when she cast a spell (which he probably would have easily identified if he had seen it)

He just stays in the background and tries to not get involved.

Breten
2007-11-14, 11:09 PM
(( While Joff is dumb as a pile of bricks, one probably shouldn't interpret my typos as meaningful commentary on any particular character. ))

Darkantra
2007-11-14, 11:20 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel tries to determine what the red-haired woman just did. (OOC see the OOC thread for the real roll)

1d20+2

Kyroswolf
2007-11-14, 11:40 PM
As the group enters the room, Gizmo jumps to the floor, his posture nowhere near as friendly as it was before, Gamiel grabs his half-spear and leaps upon Gizmo, almost before he realizes. While they maybe a comical pair, the sight of the snarling dog, with the spear wielding gnome atop, would make many a wandering woodsman think twice about crossing them.

As Gamiel realizes the groups attentions appears to be to provoke a fight, he strokes Gizmo to calm the canine down. "I wouldn't waste my time with them, my friends. Those who are convinced of their own superiority, only prove their own short comings."

With this he moves back to his bed and appears to ignore the group, though he doesn't put his spear back down and Gizmo remains on the floor watching the newcomers.

Adjudicator
2007-11-15, 12:00 AM
Torgal Wynn

Gamiel and Gizmo's reaction seemed to light the spark in Torgal's head and he shifted forward, away from the bunk. "Ok, you've proved your point, mate. We are a bunch of raw recruits and we do have a lot to learn. And I plan on being here long enough to learn what I set out to," Torgal said with a meaningful look at the others. "I don't want to get kicked out for messing with the upperclassmen on my first day here, so, if you'd excuse me, I'll go wait in the hallway for our little glowballs here to show us where our dusk meeting is."

With that, Torgal deftly slipped between the big armor wearing bully and his two companions, pausing ever so briefly to admire the red-haired beauty, and stepped out into the hallway. On his way, he pointedly readjusted his longspear by the bed, drawing attention to it, but making it clear that leaving it behind was intentional. Once into the hallway, Torgal leaned against the opposite wall and cast a glance around to see if any teachers might be present.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-15, 12:07 AM
Gizmo barks as Torgal leaves the room, making Gamiel sit up, "Yes, Giz, that does appear to be the best course of action." He sets his half-spear back in place and hops atop Gizmo. As the pair push past the upperclassmen, Gamiel stops Giz between the two women, "By the way ladies, has anyone ever licked your thighs, while standing up?" He then follows Torgal out the door before either can react.

Darkantra
2007-11-15, 12:17 AM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel's eyes harden as he recognizes the spell just cast.

"Careful everyone," he says, locking eyes with the red-head, "The sorceress here just tried to enspell me."

He takes a step back and folds his arms. Despite the mind-assault he feels no need to start a fight, Gamiel was right about the three. He nods towards the entrance, eyes still on the red-head.

"I think it's time for you to leave, you'll find no friends or fight here."

Breten
2007-11-15, 12:43 AM
((Just a reminder, there is no hallway, the door leads outside to the parade ground))

As the last few moments of daylight fade you see a number of groups beginning to assemble on the parade ground. As you step into the crisp night air you find another classmate trotting over to your barracks with a vexed look on his face. He is wearing high quality armour and a longsword hangs in a sheath at his side. He is tall, around 6'3 and incredibly good looking. He moves with a confidence and grace that speak to his probable ability with his sword. His long black hair is pulled back into a warriors ponytail.

Joff! Mirana! Jemma! It's almost dusk and the bell will toll any minute. Leave these guys alone and lets get going. I don't want to be late for assembly on our first day here because you have to waste time pestering the commoners!

The three trouble makers give the remaining members of blue squad a sour look, and then turn from the room and saunter out. Jemma winking at the gnome as she goes, and Mirana looking as if she were contemplating ripping out the gnomes heart and eating it then and there.

Were coming cousin. growled Joff. Just because you are the oldest of us doesn't make you our leader

But Joff jumps suddenly as a voice drawls from the shadows of the barracks behind and to the left

He is not leader because he is the oldest of us. He is leader because is far smarter than you, and the only one of our little group that the rest even remotely trusts.

From the shadows a black clad figure emerges. He is wearing black leathers, gloves and boots. His hair is as dark as his clothes and also pulled back into a ponyail. He is short and quite thin, but his grey eyes hold an intensity to them that makes you somewhat nervous.

gods Scion! Must you do that! Joff swears. I swear I don't know why you are in our squad anyways. I mean the Nightbanes are what a third tier family.

Yes. A fact that leaves me crying myself to sleep every night, bemoaning how fate could leave me so unlucky as to miss out on being imbred Scion noted dryly.

Joff's face turns purple with anger, and he seems about to take a swing at the shorter youth, but suddenly there is a loud tolling of a bell signaling the arrival of dusk.

SQUADS FALL IN! You hear a voice bellow from the front of the parade grounds

Kyroswolf
2007-11-15, 12:49 AM
Realizing everyone they have seen is in their armor, and carrying weapons, Gamiel hurries back into their barracks, "They have called Fall In, and everyone we've seen has their gear. Might want to suit up....fast." He then quickly puts Gizmo's saddle on the canine, grabs his shield and half-spear, remounts Gizmo, and waits outside for the rest of the group. "There is still and empty bed. Hope whoever it is for is well."

Once the rest of the group has left, Gamiel will follow them to the parade ground.

Darkantra
2007-11-15, 12:53 AM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel grabs his weapons and dashes out after the three troublemakers have left. He joins Torgal and Gamiel out on the field and leans in to them to be heard over the chaos of the other students exiting their dorms.

"Be careful of that group, that red-head tried to charm me with a spell when she bent over me. You two might want to run back and grab your stuff for this assembly though, looks like everyone's bringing their weapons at least."

Adjudicator
2007-11-15, 01:09 AM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal sized up the rest of the squads in the parade ground, and ducked back into the bunkroom. While he was quick, he doubted he had enough time to struggle into his chain shirt before the teachers started, so he simply snatched his longspear from the wall and hustled back out by the rest of blue squad and fell in to a line with the others.

Randel
2007-11-15, 01:51 AM
Lukas Breen

Lukas heads back and picks up his things as well, putting his backpack on and making sure his crossbow is available. Sampo perches on his shoulder as they head out and fall in line with the rest of the squad.

Lochar
2007-11-15, 07:10 AM
Tarrin

Tarrin had watched the whole encounter bemused, laughing silently to himself. Once the field call came, Tarrin stood up from the bed.

"Well, time to finally get this show on the road."

Only if he sees others on the parade grounds with backpacks does he grab his bag, otherwise he walks out, still in his leathers, but otherwise unarmed.

Breten
2007-11-15, 02:11 PM
As you pour out onto the parade grounds you find a raised platform on the far end, on which several individuals are standing. It is a strange group, including an old gnome talking quietly with a grey bearded man in white robes, an imperious looking elven woman dressed in expensive silks, and most notably the tallest, fattest dwarf you have ever seen. The dwarf is most noticable because he is currently standing at the front of the platform bellowing at the top of his lungs, his face nearly turning purple with the effort.

FALL IN Damn you all! Line up in your squads. At attention! This isn't a dinner social, its a formal inspection assembly! Look sharp or I will have you cleaning the parade grounds till midnight...with your tongues!

The dwarf hollars and glowers, spittle almost hitting the front ranks as the eight squads find their place each behind a flag of their squad colours. As you form up you glance around and find that all the other squads seem to be made up of 5 members. You see the Silver Squard forming up not so far away, and Joff, looking over to see you watching them makes a rude gesture in your general direction.

Now listen up and listen well. Bertram owns this here school, but I am Gell and for the next few years I own your asses. Many of you dream of glory...of being mighty wizards or fierce warriors someday. Perhaps you will be...but let me tell you something of adventuring....long before you get to retire with your share of a dragons horde you will endure long miserable nights with no sleep. You will walk through rain, and cold, and snow and worse. You will run for your life fleeing unspeakable horrors you thought were only real in old wives tales. You will bleed, and burn, and have other worse things inflicted on your body minds, and souls.

Now it is my job that when all these things happen you do not get your worthless selves killed. I will ride you hard these next year, and you will probably come to hate me for it. Good. I am not here to be your friend. Your parents did not pay heaps of gold so you can come here and have tea and crumpets either. You are here so that the next time a red dragon and goblin horde invade the country we will have heroes to replace the ones who died valiantly to protect your spoiled hides. You are here so that this fine country of ours can stand against he constant flood of Sembian plots, Zhent slavers and shadow mage crazies that seem to try and take us over one way or another. You are here so that maybe you will live long enough to spawn your own brats and send them here. But for any of that to happen, you must survive. I will drive you into the ground, but I will make you strong and tough. So I don't want to hear any whining or complaining or telling me who your parents are or how important your daddy is. Here you are nobody. If you can't hack that, feel free to leave at anytime.

The other instructors here will be teaching you classes. Father Tal will be instructing those of you with a divine powers, (he says as he points to the old white bearded man) Aryenae will be instructing those whose magic leans toward the arcane (he says as he points at the elf) Lord Glitterspells here (pointing to the gnome) is in charge of the Cave, which you will learn more of later. Those of you who will be instructed in stealth and theivery and such will end up with Whisper. Don't bother looking for him, he will find you rest assured. Those of you who think you can handle yourselves with weapons, you are stuck with me full time. But whether you are a spell hurler, a priest or a warrior, all of you will learn how to defend yourselves.

Now...the first lesson of adventuring is this: Always be prepared to run! It might not be noble, but it will save your hide. So before you all head to your bunks tonight I expect 2 laps around the Castle walls. Head out the east gate there. Oh, and you better be running on your own feet. (he says as he looks significantly at Gamiel)

There is a pause for a second as he glowers at you, and the students look uncertainly back and forth at each other wondering if the dwarf could seriously expect them to run 8 miles after a long day of travel.

DON'T JUST STAND THERE! RUN BLAST YOU! the dwarf roars, and suddenly you are doing just that, forcing your weary limbs into motion.

(everyone roll a fortitude check please. DC 12 If you did not note in the thread that you ate back in the barracks you are hungry and suffer a -2 on your roll)

Lochar
2007-11-15, 02:15 PM
Tarrin

Fort: [roll0] Since I didn't eat anything, no modifier.

HA! 20!

Tarrin grins at the dwarf, before saluting and turning, running at an easy pace towards the east gate. Concentrating for a moment, his stride lengthens and he begins easily putting the normal humans and others behind him.

And hooray for Speed of Thought, +10' movement speed.

Darkantra
2007-11-15, 02:51 PM
Essel Lightningfoot


[roll0]


Essel gives a whoop and runs on after Tarrin.
"That dwarf has some pipes!"
Seeing that the school would be a tough test afterall instead of a babysitting hostel for nobles he begins to think that he might like this place. Though his stomach has started to grumble he pushes on through it and runs. He falls slightly behind the pack of taller people, what with his shorter stature, but is still easily ahead of those who have begun stumbling or wheezing with each breath.

Adjudicator
2007-11-15, 03:28 PM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal fell in behind the others, thankful that he had left his chain shirt in the bunkroom. The fruit he had munched before the silver squad had crashed their introductions sat comfortably in his stomach. Keeping an eye out for other from the Blue Squad, Torgal paced himself, content to put in his laps and then turn in for the night.

Fortitude save: 1d20+4[roll0]

Phew! Just made it. Torgal must be tired!

Kyroswolf
2007-11-15, 03:39 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
OOC: We both ate so no penalty.


Gamiel and Gizmo take off at the dwarf's command. "Eight miles. Giz and I are used to this." Inwardly Gamiel is thankful for the hard life him and Gizmo have become used to. He easily runs the distance, keeping near the front of the shorter folk. Gizmo appears to enjoy the run as he makes laps around the group Gamiel is running in.

Darkantra
2007-11-15, 03:53 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

Looking around Essel has a sudden epiphany and paces himself to meet up with Gamiel, who is in the same general pack.

"Hey Gamiel," he says between breaths, "Something tells me that we aren't put in squads for nothing, we should be running together. If we both yell for the others they might hear us and join up."

Lochar
2007-11-15, 04:01 PM
Tarrin

Running out in front of the others, Tarrin feels a little bored. Might as well see how the others are doing. Looking behind him to make sure the dwarf wasn't watching, although, whoever is the thief teacher could probably be running right next to me and I wouldn't know it, Tarrin slows down, allowing some to pass him until he spots a familiar face from the barracks. Ignoring, of course, any of those who named themselves Silver.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-15, 04:02 PM
Gamiel & Gizmo

Gamiel thinks for a moment as they jog along, "Well, that would show a bit of unity, even if it wasn't actually required. Sounds like a plan." He then begins to shout to catch the attention of their nearest companion.

Darkantra
2007-11-15, 04:14 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel begins shouting alongside of Gamiel.

"Blue Squad! Over here Blue Squad!"

Lochar
2007-11-15, 04:17 PM
Tarrin

Tarrin, already falling back slightly, begins making his way to them. "Yeah, yeah, I hear ya. What's up short stuff?" He laughs and nods at Gamiel and Essel.

Tarrin is now currently half jogging in place, half actually moving since he's nearly twice as quick as Gamiel.

Adjudicator
2007-11-15, 04:18 PM
Torgal Wynn

Hearing Essil's shouts, Torgal closes in on the others and falls in beside the rest of Blue Squad. Nodding, the barbarian simply keeps pace while conserving his breath.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-15, 04:22 PM
Responding to Tarrin Gamiel laughs a bit, "Shouldn't that be short stuffs? Essel here just thought it would be a good idea for us to run together...you know help build some unity."

Lochar
2007-11-15, 04:28 PM
Tarrin

"True, very true. I must not forget the taller of the short ones."

Tarrin appraises the castle walls to their side. "You know, I learned a trick on the streets, that the dwarf Gell didn't mention. Even if you run away, there is always something that might be faster than you. So make sure you can run where they can't follow."

Tarrin, in mid step, puts a foot against the castle wall and starts running against it, moving up and down the wall as well, every now and then putting his feet back on the ground again.

Up the Walls! Since I'm only moving at half speed to keep up with the small Blues, burning the other bit of movement to go up and down the walls in the run.

Darkantra
2007-11-15, 04:37 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel, about to respond to Gamiel instead gawps at Tarrin's defiance of gravitry. He suddenly bursts out laughing and almost looses his pace.

"Hey, being short has it's advantages, it means that when we face our first angry dragon I'll be the smallest target." he lets out another burst of laughter and steadies his pace. "I knew this group would be fun, but like Gamiel said, we should learn how to act as a group early on, nothing like unity eh?"

Lochar
2007-11-15, 04:41 PM
Tarrin

"Yes, you can be the appetizer, I'll be the main course." Tarrin drawls. "Of course, I hope that it'll choke on me on the way down."

Randel
2007-11-15, 04:51 PM
Lukas


Fort Save: [roll0]
didn't eat and have wizards fortitude.


Lukas runs as best he can, but not having been the most athletic person to begin with he finds himself struggling to keep up. Not having eaten doesn't help either. "Damm... note to self... *huff* *puff* don't skip gym practice." He mumbles between gasps for breath.

Lochar
2007-11-15, 05:03 PM
Tarrin

Tarrin notices Lukas flagging strength as he runs and winces, coming off of the walls.

"We're half way there, you can do it Lukas. Don't fall over on us now."

He runs close to Lukas, allowing the man to keep pace with him, trying to bolster him.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-15, 05:13 PM
Gamiel falls back to keep pace with Lukas, "Here perhaps this will keep you going." He gesture briefly in the air. Slowly the sound of music comes from the space just in front of Lukas. The tempo and notes would be considered inspirational by many.


Gnomish 1/day Ghost Sound.

Randel
2007-11-15, 06:00 PM
Lukas

Lukas wheeses as he goes, trying to pace himself. He adjusts his running into a sort of skip. Sampo flies alongside him, having dismounted and taken to wing awhile ago.

"Thanks, guys... heh, Its funny, I specifically prepared a spell today to trip up monsters if they were to chase me. Though it only trips them up instead of speeding me up."

He keeps running, the pain in his side getting more intense as he reaches the end.

Breten
2007-11-15, 06:15 PM
As the group falls back to help encourage Lukas, slowly person after person begin to pull ahead of the group. Soon the group is a good distance from anyone else, except even further behind is Jemma, staggering along barefoot, her fancy lowcut dress not cut away to a shockingly high hemline to keep her from tripping as she tries to run in the impractical garment.

Puffing and cursing she runs on grimly glaring at the group ahead of her. Finally, as the group approaches the last stretch she reaches for a vial at her belt and gulps it down. Then smiling wickedly her hands and lips begin moving for a second and she gestures towards the group. Before you can react all but Gamiel and Gizmo feel a wash of tiredness fall over them



Will Save Time! DC is 17!

Torgal [roll0]
Tarrin [roll1]
Essel [roll2]
Lukas [roll3] (note you are now fatigued and so take a -2)



As Essel and Lukas fall flat on their faces asleep Jemma puts on a sudden burst of speed swinging wide to pass the group with a smirk, leaving them to be the last back in.

((If you wish to do anything now is the time to roll initiative))

Lochar
2007-11-15, 06:39 PM
Tarrin

Init: [roll0]

"Excuse me friends, I think I need feel the need to catch someone."

Showing Jemma what a true burst of speed is, Tarrin speeds up, attempting to catch her.

Fingers elongating into claws again, Tarrin jumps, fingers reaching out for her dress.

Will roll OOC for his attack.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-15, 06:40 PM
As the two fall on their faces, Gamiel drops to his knees beside Essel. Once he realizes he is asleep, he shakes his new friend, "Lets go man. We're almost their, no time for napping now." Gamiel also turns to Gizmo, "Catch her."


Gizmo will attempt to grapple then pin Jemma.
Rolls in OOC

Kyroswolf
2007-11-15, 06:41 PM
Gamiel and Gizmo

OOC: Sorry didn't see request for Init.

[roll0]

Lochar
2007-11-15, 07:11 PM
Tarrin

Speeding up and catching Jemma, Tarrin ducks under her fist as his claws come up, catching her dress and ripping through it.

Whispered to Jemma:"You always have a bunch of suitors, don't you? Now is your chance to show them what you've got."

Adjudicator
2007-11-15, 08:51 PM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal stumbled slightly as the wave of fatigue washes over him. As Jenna blurs by and Tarrin speeds past, Torgal slowed to a halt and stopped to help Gamiel with the other two Blue Squad members. Glancing up at Tarrin, Torgal called out to the speeding youth. "Don't hurt her, Tarrin. We want to take the high road on this one."

Randel
2007-11-15, 10:02 PM
Lukas

Suddenly, a wave of fatigue washes over Lukas and he finds himself falling to the ground.

The next thing he knows, he's being shaken back to consciousness by Torgal and Gamiel. "Wai... wha? Oh no... did I just faint?" He asks because he's never fainted before.

Breten
2007-11-15, 10:15 PM
Jemma screams as Tarrin closes with her, fingers suddenly transformed into claws. She desperately swings at him with a dagger, desperate to keep him at bay, but he dodges the swing, and swings his claws in return.

There is a tearing sound as the claws tear through the shreds of her dress, and the nobel is left clutching at the falling remains of the dress as the quickly outdistances even the fleet footed Tarrin.

After a moment she realizes that the only damage was to her dress not to herself and she laughs coldly.

You missed she calls over he shoulder, running on, for all the world as if she was completely unaffected to run almost naked in throught he gates. But her eyes smolder with repressed anger and shame, and the promise of terrible revenge.

Lochar
2007-11-15, 10:35 PM
Tarrin

Tarrin laughs, holding onto a few shreds of dress, watching her move quickly back into the castle. "I should have realized you didn't have anything everyone hadn't already seen!" he yells after her.

He then turns back to the others, intent on helping them.

Darkantra
2007-11-15, 10:44 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

Gamiel's shaking finally brings Essel back to conciousness.

"Unh, what the... what happened?"

He shakes his head to clear it and with the assistance of the others slowly stands up. He notices Tarrin coming towards the rest of the group with a few tattered shreds of a familiar green dress.

"I'm really starting to hate that woman. Is everyone else okay?"

Lochar
2007-11-15, 10:48 PM
Tarrin

"Doesn't look like anyone's hurt, but we need to finish the run, before we get into trouble. Come on, you can finish napping back in the barracks."

Tarrin pulls them to their feet and gets them to continue running the last part of the run.

Randel
2007-11-15, 10:53 PM
Lukas

"Yeah... I think so, I'm surprisingly rested though." He gets up, and starts running to finish up the last stretch.

Darkantra
2007-11-15, 10:58 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

"Yeah, let's get going. We shouldn't give the Silvers the satisfaction of not finishing."

Essel readies himself for the last leg of the run.

Breten
2007-11-15, 11:02 PM
Those that had fallen futilely try to wipe the splattered mud off themselves, and then as a team you pick up the pace to race in step back through the gates. Inside you see a few other students watching you come in, and you hear a few cheer or jeer you for making it. But for the most part everyone seems beat, and with your appearance everyone heads back to fall exhausted into their bunks.

Breten
2007-11-15, 11:06 PM
You stumble into your cabin and collapse into your bunks without even turning on the lights. As silence settles in the room you hear low, even voice state

You shouldn't have done that to Jemma. It was dangerous. I know she is a manipulative twit at times...but...you shouldn't have done that. Humilating her like that was worse than hitting her, and she never forgets a slight, and her sister Mirana is worse. Your have made some dangerous enemies tonight Darkmantle, dangerous enemies indeed, and you can ill afford them. Be prepared. She will tell your family. Be sure of it

Randel
2007-11-15, 11:33 PM
Lukas

Lukas gets up just enough to eat something before heading to bed. He had learned his lesson about not eating enough around here. He closes the door and puts out the lights before collapsing in bed again.

Darkantra
2007-11-15, 11:51 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel jerks out of his restful state after hearing the first few words. Though the speaker seems to be making no hostile moves Essel carefully sits up and tries to determine where the speaker is.

[roll0]

Breten
2007-11-15, 11:53 PM
((Good roll))

the speaker seems to be in the back right corner of the room.

Darkantra
2007-11-16, 12:00 AM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel tries to slip off his bed and approach the speaker unnoticed.
He thinks to himself, "I'm getting tired of these games, I'll show whoever this is how a real sneak opperates." He doesn't make a move to draw his sword, though he keeps his hand on it.

[roll0]

Heh heh, Essel's going to grab a light from the wall, sneak towards the speaker and light it, while saying something witty of course.

Breten
2007-11-16, 01:19 AM
Tip toeing as quietly as he can out of his bed Essel grabs a light as he sneaks towards the source of the voice. He moves silently into position and then srikes the match to light the candle and reveal the speaker. Soft light floods the room....but no one is there.

Darkantra
2007-11-16, 02:14 AM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel blinks in the light then spins around quickly, trying to catch a glimpse of anything. When nothing presents itself he turns to his bunkmates.

"Sorry guys, I thought I had him. Whoever that is, they're good at sneaking around, damn good."

Just in case he inspects the area he thought the voice came from, looking for any sign of the ghost.

1d20+6

Darkantra
2007-11-16, 02:16 AM
((Search roll typo, re-rolling))

[roll0]

Lochar
2007-11-16, 08:46 AM
Tarrin

Tarrin blinks at the voice. What fun.

He then looks around when Essel turns on the light, only to find no one. "You know," he said loudly, "it's not nice to invade other's bunks."

He shrugs, but doesn't expect an answer from the mysterious voice.

Adjudicator
2007-11-16, 08:47 AM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal helped the exhausted members of Blue Squad back to the bunkhouse after they returned to the courtyard. When they hit the room, he quickly propped his spear against the wall and headed to the jakes to rinse the dirt and mud off before climbing into the top bunk. By the time he was settled for the night, his eyes were already heavy with sleep.

Torgal woke briefly as Essel tried to track down the mysterious voice, but when the halfling couldn't find it, the barbarian quickly fell back asleep.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-16, 09:47 AM
After watching Torgal use the jakes, Gamiel comes to his horrid realization of their purpose. Looking at Gizmo, "We will not be drinking from their again." He then mimics Torgal's actions, washing himself before falling into bed, Gizmo already asleep at the foot of the bed.

Upon hearing the voice Gamiel opens his eyes but make no other indication he is awake. Gizmo raises his head, looking in the direction the voice came from.

After Essel's inspection, Gamiel offer's this, "It could have been a spell, but you can never be certain. It apparently meant no harm, only to warn us. I'd suggest we heed it's words. We should be careful."

He and Gizmo then lay back down, Gizmo soon snoring loudly at his feet.

Breten
2007-11-16, 10:39 AM
((Whoops! Sorry guys you jumped ahead on me there. I wanted to give you chance to react to the visitor last night but the nights events are not done yet! Can you delete your in the morning posts and rework the convos in?))

The party drifts back to sleep shortly after the appearance of the mysterious voice in the dark, mostly too tired to wonder who it was and how they got in here.

A search of the barracks finds a window open in the common room between the bunks and the jakes. Whoever was here must have snuck in and out through there. How they avoided you, and who they are is a mystery however

You are sound asleep again, when around 2am in the morning the door suddenly crashes open

Rise and Shine Children!

You bold upright, grabbing instinctly for weapons, until your blurry eyes focus on the bulky frame of Gell the Dwarf standing in your doorway.

Since you were the last group to make it back from our run, your get to be the first group to experience the Cave. YOu have 10 minutes to gear up and meet me by the fallen oak tree outside the east gate. Don't be late.

Without another word he spins and marches out of the doorway and heads towards the east gate.

Lochar
2007-11-16, 10:50 AM
Tarrin

Tarrin shrugs, pulling on his leathers. He looks to the others. "We need to talk later about our visitor last night."

Flexing his fingers, Tarrin waits until the eight minute mark for the others if required, and then leaves for the tree.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-16, 11:22 AM
Used to sleeping light, Gamiel is among the first to be ready, donning his leather armor, saddling Gizmo. He then assists anyone that needs help with their armor, before mounting Gizmo and riding with the rest to the tree.

Adjudicator
2007-11-16, 12:01 PM
Torgal Wynn

Used to needing a quick jump into battle, Torgal was dressed and equipped in just a few minutes. With his sturdy, if plain, chain shirt on, Torgal grabbed his longspear and kicked the footlocker at his bunk. When the top popped up, Torgal scooped out his pack and slung it over his shoulders, heading to the door with the rest of Blue Squad.

Breten
2007-11-16, 12:20 PM
((I'm going to move ahead to set up tonights action, feel free to fill in your characters reaction later. Randall just a reminder you are still fatigued (-2 to Str and Dex) and Lochar you have not renewed pp yet))

You meet the dwarf beside the blackened remains of a fallen oak tree, apparently felled by a lightning strike some time ago. You all manage to make it just in time and the Dward nods his approval at seeing you all armed and armoured.

You are all about to get your first experience in the Cave. The Cave was designed as a trainer for young adventurers. It uses a mix of illusion and summonings to present you with combat scenarios. The cave has several poweful enchantments placed on it. Your combats there will not kill you, but mark me well on this, what you experience there is real. The wounds you take going in, you will have coming out. Should you sustain wounds serious enough to kill you, the cave will preserve your life, but only barely. The pain will be very real. We find pain to be an excellent educator.

Not all the news is bad. The treasure you find in the cave is real as well. What you collect is yours to keep. We find it adds motivation for students.
Do with it as you like. There will be chances later in the semester to go to town to buy supplies with it, or you can store it in your footlocker. You will find them remarkable spacious, and each will only open at the your touch, or the touch of an instructor.

Once you enter the caves you will find yourself in a room. Somewhere in the room you will find a mundane steel key. That key will open the lock on the only door to the room. You will be graded for this mission on how long it takes you to find the key and exit the room. Oh...and how many of you manage to remain conscious to do so.

The other teams will have their attempts at this as well. Team standings will determine privledges and punishments within the school.

We have a minute or two before Glitterspells has the Cave ready. If you need to make preparations, or have questions now is the time for them

((Also everyone please roll for your initiative order))

Adjudicator
2007-11-16, 12:37 PM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal grinned as Gell revealed the nature of The Cave. A little combat was just what he was looking for after the effort yesterday to hold himself back from attacking the Silver Squad. As he checked his pack and gave a rub to his longspear, Torgal paused a moment to close his eyes. When he opened them again, a close observer would have noticed that they flared a brilliant yellowish metallic color for a second or two before returning to their normal brown.


Quick action: activate Draconic aura of Power: +1 to all melee damage rolls
Initiative: [roll0]

Kyroswolf
2007-11-16, 12:58 PM
Gamiel & Gizmo

Gamiel checks his gear, and the straps on Gizmo's saddle. He then double checks the straps on his shield and Gizmo's saddle. Finally he remounts Gizmo and scratches behind the dogs ears. He leans forward and whispers into the dogs ear. Gizmo's demeanor changes as he goes from friendly oaf to a snarling growling hound. His stance is similar to the one from the day before, when the Silvers barged in. He appears to be ready for anything. Gamiel closes his own eyes for a moment. As he opens them they have a calmness within them. "I am ready when you are my friends." His voice is a whisper upon the wind. His calmness a stark contrast to the snarling hound he rides.


Init is in OOC = 14

Lochar
2007-11-16, 01:09 PM
Tarrin

"And you purposely made sure to wake us up before any spellcasters in the group would have enough rest to reset their spells as well, huh?" Tarrin laughs. "Fine by me. I'm ready."

Tarrin grabs something to munch on before leaving.

2 pp left then. I think. I really need a cog crystal. :P

Init: [roll0]

Randel
2007-11-16, 01:42 PM
Lukas

"Well at least we won't die after these monsters kill us."

As he dons his backpack and equipment, he checks his crossbow and talks to the others, yawning as he does so.

"Sorry guys but for some reason sleeping for only 7 hours 45 minutes hasn't done a thing for me... I don't think I'll be much help in this." He thinks about it "though I do have this crossbow. I also have the spells from yesterday to detect magic auras and another to create a slippery surface to trip up any monsters we find... oh and one that should keep me from getting killed as fast. So... yeah, thats about it."

He quickly eats something before heading out to the caves and casts Mage Armor on himself just before he enters the cave.


Initiative:[roll0]

Darkantra
2007-11-16, 02:29 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

After failing to startle their talkative intruder Essel thoroughly closed each entrance and went back to sleep. He was miffed that he'd lost his chance to startle the intruder but he put it aside for now.

"The Tracker will give us another chance one day." He thought to himself before going back to sleep.

When Gell woke them up with yet another booming yell Essel jumped up and grabbed some of the fruit and bread from the previous day, shovelling some into his mouth. He spent the next minutes donning his armor and checking his gear, before grabbing everything and heading out with the others. After leaving with the others and being told of the cave he nocks an arrow in his bow.

"You guys should know, my fighting style is kind of... sporadic. I'll be moving around a lot to surprise whatever we meet in there, but I'm starting with a shot from my bow then I'll cover the rest of you with this," he points down to his shortsword, "I may not look it, but I'm pretty damn deadly in a fight," he turns to the mage and chuckles, "Don't worry Lukas, if anything comes after you it'll feel my blade in it's spine before it even gets close."

Initiative is 22 from OOC thread

Darkantra
2007-11-16, 05:06 PM
[Essel Lightningfoot]

Essel looks to Gell, "I'm guessing that there are traps too huh," he states pretty evenly. Turning back to the group he says, "If we don't fight anything immediately let me take a look around first, there's no telling what surprises have been cooked up for us."

Breten
2007-11-16, 07:37 PM
Battle starts with you in a large square room. In the center of the room is a small raised platform with a chest in the middle of it. (Squares F6&7 and G6&7)

You are located in the follow squares.
Gamiel and Gizmo (D&D for Druid and Dog) D5
Tarrin (PW) H5
Randal (W) H8
Essel (Sc) H7
Torgal (DS)D8

There are Goblins at G1 & 13 and A7 and L7

Initiative Order is:

Essel (22)
Torgal (20)
Tarrin (18)
Gamiel and Gizmo (14)
Goblins (10)
Randal (3)


Battle Map Turn 1 (http://bp2.blogger.com/_y9bNLN6jfhY/Rz42hNDivtI/AAAAAAAAAAU/KIh0BhUm0sw/s1600-h/D&D+002.jpg)

YOu can post actions in any order, or give standing orders in OOC for what you want to do if you are waiting on others Initiative

Breten
2007-11-16, 07:45 PM
You step into the cave and are dazzled by a swirl of lights around you. When you blink your eyes clear you are standing in the middle of a square room carved of plain stone. In the middle of the room is a small platform about 10ft wide, with a treasure chest sitting in the middle of it.

Surrounding you on all sides are goblins, one against the wall in each direction. They are carrying crossbows and small spears. They seem as confused at being in this place as you are, but as they see you the raise their bows to attack.

Randel
2007-11-16, 08:24 PM
Lukas
HP: 8/8 AC: 14

OOC: (AC due to my dex penalty from fatigue, and the mage armor I cast)

"Okay, we're surrounded. I'll help take out the guy to the east. I'm not sure if there are traps around here, but if there are they might be on this pedestal."

Lukas loads his crossbow and fires a bolt at the goblin east of him (L7)

If Essel moves from his spot, Lukas takes a five-foot-step north to H7.


Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Lochar
2007-11-16, 08:45 PM
Tarrin
HP: 10 AC: 15

Tarrin grins, flexing fingers as he sharpens them and moves forward, swiping at the goblin.

Assuming I'm PW at H5, manifest claws of the beast and then move forward to G2. Attack in OOC thread.

PP left, 1.

Darkantra
2007-11-16, 08:55 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

HP= 9 AC= 18

Before anyone can make a move Essel takes a quick look around and dashes out to I8 (by way of I7) and sights for a weak spot on the goblin at L7 with his bow.

As he fires he yells, "I've got the one on my side, just don't step on the platform until I can check it!"

[roll0] with Shortbow
[roll1]
[roll2] for moving 10 ft this round.

Breten
2007-11-16, 09:10 PM
The goblin goes down without so much as even screaming, and arrow right neatly through his left eye.

Adjudicator
2007-11-16, 09:58 PM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal grinned fiercely as he blinked the flash of light clear from his eyes. A quick scan of the room showed him the goblin to his left, on the western side of the room. With a growl, Torgal leveled his longspear and charged the unfortunate enemy as his eyes flared again with a burnished metal gleam.


Torgal Wynn
AC: 14 (-2 for charge attack)
HP: 12/12
Init: 20
Full-round Action: Torgal charges the goblin in A7. +4 to attack (Furious Charge feat), -2 AC
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Breten
2007-11-16, 10:33 PM
The goblin screams in pain as it is impaled on the end of Torgal's spear. Lochar steps forward and swings his claws at the goblin, but the agile creature ducks aside.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-16, 10:59 PM
Gamiel quickly surveys the situation, then places a hand upon Gizmo as he mumbles a few words in a language none of you have ever heard. He then looks at one of the goblins and speaks a single harsh word, "Takedown!"

Gizmo charges toward the goblin biting it and attempting to bring it to the ground.


Cast Magic Fang on Gizmo.
+1 to attack and damage
+2 to attack from charge -2 to AC (14)
Attacking goblin at G1 ending charge at F2
[roll0]
[roll1]
if successful
[roll2]

Breten
2007-11-16, 11:20 PM
The nimble goblin being harrassed by Tarrin manages to avoid the dogs bite as well and skitters back a step (to H1) and unloads his crossbow at Tarrin, who once again tries to take advantage and attack, but misses again.



Roll to attack [1d20+3]
Roll Damage [1d6]



The goblin to the south relieved not to be the recipient of the Dragon Shaman's attack decides to aim at him to avenge his brother (whom HE had wanted to have the fun of killing) he steps over to D12 and loses with his weapon.


Roll to attack [1d20+3]
Damage [1d6]


Both goblins then drop thier bows, and draw morningstars to defend themselves

Breten
2007-11-16, 11:33 PM
The bolt from the goblin facing Tarrin speeds true and catches him in the chest for a staggering 10hp. The goblin cackles with glee even as it drops it's crossbow and reaches for it's morningstar, ready to finish the job.

The goblin to the south also shoots true and strikes Torgal a solid blow in the arm. ((5 damage)) It too prepares it's morningstar for the coming attack.

Lukas shoots his crossbow at the goblin to the south, but the bold goes wide and the creature is unharmed.

((Okay that is round 1. Round 2 is up. Post your actions here or plans in OOC))

Lochar
2007-11-16, 11:41 PM
Holding his chest where the bolt is sticking out, Tarrin scowls and claws at him again.


Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Confirm Crit: [roll2]

Autohypnosis to stablize. DC 20. [roll3]

Randel
2007-11-16, 11:50 PM
Lukas
HP: 8/8 AC: 14

Lukas reloads his crossbow and fires again at the goblin to the south.


Attack: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Kyroswolf
2007-11-16, 11:55 PM
Gamiel reaches out placing a hand upon Tarrin, "You can't quit now you know that?" As he finishes the spell Gizmo surges forward biting again at the goblin.

[spoiler]
[roll0]
Gizmo's 5 ft step to G1, no charge bonus AC back to 16
[roll1]
[roll2]
If successful
[roll3]

Darkantra
2007-11-17, 12:05 AM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel swears after seeing Tarrin and Torgal get hit but trusts that Gamiel and Gizmo can hold off the northern goblin. He moves over to F9 and takes careful aim at the southern goblin (at D12) with another arrow, hoping to at least distract it from Torgal.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] for moving more than 10 ft.

Breten
2007-11-17, 12:13 AM
The halfling ghosts across the room and then releases another arrow, this time catching the goblin in the throat. The creature collapses twitching for a few moments before finally laying still.

To the north Tarrin finally makes contact with the elusive goblin, swiftly dissembowling him before passing out himself, overcome by his wounds. Gamiel comes to the rescue, casting calling on the healing powers of nature to restore his friend even as Gizmo grabs a mouthful of the goblins entrails and finishes the job.

With the goblins all dead your find yourselves still within a room with no obvious exits. The chest is still on the platform.

A search of the goblin's body finds nothing of value. Even their weapons are of obviously shoddy quality.

Breten
2007-11-17, 12:17 AM
As Lukas takes stock of the situation he notices that a brick in the floor nearby seems to be sticking up higher than the others.

(In Square I8)

((Yay! You made a roll!))

Darkantra
2007-11-17, 12:23 AM
[Essel Lightningfoot]

Essel lets out a sigh and hooks his shortbow back onto his pack. As he approaches the platform his looks over at Tarrin and Torgal with concern, "Are you guys going to be alright?" Though seeing them standing boldens him somewhat their wounds look like they need tending.

"Damn that was sudden. I'm going to have a look at the platform and chest, no one go near it for a minute, then we can get the hells out of here and get healed up."

[roll0]

Breten
2007-11-17, 12:28 AM
You look over the platform and chest carefully. The platform is simply a slap of stone about 2 ft higher than the rest of the floor but of the same quality. The chest made of wood and bound with steel. It does not appear to have a lock on it, nor can you find any traps.

Randel
2007-11-17, 12:52 AM
Lukas

"I think there is a trap over there." He says, pointing to the slightly higher brick. "Though we should probably take the goblins weapons... they might not be high quality... or even passable quality but we can always use them for firewood or something. And at the very least, it means that other goblins can't use them."

He carefully walks over toward Tarrin, and the others, checking the floor to see if there are any other suspicious bricks. And avoiding the platform.

"Here, let me check to see if there is any magic afoot."


Lukas casts Detect Magic to search the room for any magical auras, starting with the chest.

Breten
2007-11-17, 12:55 AM
You search the rest of the room, but do not find any more raised bricks to point out.

Darkantra
2007-11-17, 01:11 AM
Essel Lightningfoot

After performing an intense search Essel straightens up and scratches his head.
"The chest and platform don't seem to be trapped everyone. But..."
He turns to Lucas and shrugs.
"I already stepped on that tile during the fight, and nothing happened," Essel looks at the stone carefully, then looks up to the others, "Maybe I was too light to activate it. I'm going to have a closer look at this one. Can anyone see any other raised stones?"

[roll0]

Adjudicator
2007-11-17, 01:25 AM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal snarled as the crossbow bolt lodged in his arm. Essel's return fire felled the goblin before the barbaric dragon shaman could free his longspear and attack the aggressor. With Tarrin disposing of the final goblin, Torgal planted a foot firmly on the chest of the skewered green body and pulled the longspear out again. The barbs on the head of the spear caught against the creature's rib cage, and Torgal had to angle it back and forth to finally get it out. Once he did, the shaman pulled a cloth from his pack and cleaned the spear shaft and head from the foul blood of the creature.

That taken care of, Torgal turned his attention to the crossbow bolt in his arm. As he walked over to the chest where the others were, he carefully pulled it out, using noticeably more cautious measures than when he had removed his longspear from the goblin body. With the bolt out, Torgal concentrated and once again his eyes flared a brilliant metallic yellow. Shaking his head, Torgal looked around the room. "Any ideas on how we get out of here?"


Swift Action: Activate Draconic Aura: Vitality - Fast healing +1 - +1 lethal hp per round, so Torgal lost 5 hp, in 5 round, he'll be back to full health. Only stabilizes lethal / unconscious, so not much good otherwise, but if you are in 30 ft of me, then you get the bonus. In a minute or two, we'll all be full health again!

Hooray for the Dragon Shaman!

Breten
2007-11-17, 10:22 AM
You examine the raisedbrick, and then realise that it is raised because there appears to be something under it. Moving the brick aside you find what appears to be a small switch. You examine it, but can't seem to determine what the switch does.

so who is feeling lucky today?

Lochar
2007-11-17, 10:29 AM
Tarrin

"Torgal, could you possibly use your longspear to hit the switch from a distance?"

Adjudicator
2007-11-17, 11:27 AM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal nodded at Tarrin's suggestion. Motioning for everyone to stand well back from the brick, Torgal reached out with his longspear and used the tip to activate the switch.

Randel
2007-11-17, 01:01 PM
Lukas

"Wait... what if that teleports us out of here? Lets check the treasure chest!"

Adjudicator
2007-11-17, 01:29 PM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal jerked his spear back as Lukas called out. Glaring around at the others, Torgal let a wry smile cross his face. "Elder gods, people. Let's make up our minds, eh?"

Randel
2007-11-17, 01:47 PM
Lukas

"Here, I'll see about opening this chest... Essel didn't find any traps on it and I don't think that triggering traps on the floor is the best thing to do."

He steps onto the platform and puts his hands on the lid of the chest. "Okay, everybody clear?" He steps to the side of the chest, hopefully out of the way of anything that would fly out of the front of the box, quickly flings open the lid, and then runs off of the platform onto the floor at space E6. Hoping to dodge whatever fiendish traps that box and platform had in store for him and avoiding spraining any ankle or falling in the process.

"Hey, with my luck. I have to be careful."

Breten
2007-11-17, 02:07 PM
Lukas steps up and undoes the latch on the chest and throws it open as he scrambles backwards. Unfortunately he is not quite quick enough to avoid being pricked in the finger with a needle.

He looks down at the small needle covered with blood, and a red powder, but after a moment he realizes he is feeling fine. He must have fought off whatever poison was on the trap.

Looking inside the chest he discovers

120 gp, a small darkred gem (a bloodstone 50gp) and a small white woodenwand covered in bright silver runes.

Darkantra
2007-11-17, 02:24 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel sees Lukas' finger red with blood and feels his own run cold.

"Oh gods! Are you okay Lukas? Damn, this is all my fault. Here, I'll look in the chest, if there are any more traps I'll set them off, not anyone else."


Essel jumps up onto the platform and looks into the chest.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-17, 03:03 PM
Gamiel and Gizmo approaches Lukas, avoiding the trap on the floor. "Here let me look at that wound."


Cast Detect Poison on Lukas.

Randel
2007-11-17, 03:03 PM
Lukas

Lukas looks at the prick on his finger, then looks at Essel "Oh, that's okay. You never can tell with traps... though I probably should get some heavy gloves that can protect against pins next time..."

He looks around the room, "Though, I think we should just avoid that little switch on the floor, it probably drops something from the ceiling. Perhaps we should check the walls for a secret doo... How the heck did we get in here anyway?" He asks, not quite remembering.

Breten
2007-11-17, 03:07 PM
The wound shows definite signs of poison, even if there was no reaction yet. ((He made his first saving throw))

Darkantra
2007-11-17, 03:23 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

"Well, we all stepped into the cave and were teleported here, I think." Essel peers over the top of the chest on his toes, "Have a look at this wand Lukas, it's probably magical."

"I'm going to have a look around the walls for a secret door, but I have a feeling that all we'll be left with is that wand and the switch. When Gell was talking about a key he probably didn't mean it in the literal sense. Plus if that really was poison we might not have much time left."

[roll0]

Adjudicator
2007-11-17, 03:41 PM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal paused impatiently as the others debated what to do. "Look, we get graded on speed. We did good on dispatching the goblins, but we've wasted time since, so how about this. All of you move away from the switch here. I don't know, get flat against the walls or something, and I'll trip it. If I vanish in a flash of light, it's probably the way out. If a giant stone smushes me, well, Gell said it wouldn't kill us and I heal pretty well."

Torgal looked around questioningly as he took up station by the switch in the floor and got his longspear ready to flip the small lever. "That work for you guys?"

Randel
2007-11-17, 04:00 PM
Lukas

"Okay, sounds good."

He moves towards one of the walls with the others, then he casts Detect Magic and scans for magic auras. Starting with the wand to see what school of magic it is from. Then he scans the rest of the area to see if there are any other magic auras.


Spellcraft Check: [roll0]

Breten
2007-11-17, 04:24 PM
The wand is definitely magical, of divine sources and of the conjuration school.

Searching the room Essel finds two more switches. One at D8 and L1

Randel
2007-11-17, 05:32 PM
Lukas

"This wand contains some divine magic, conjuration magic if I'm reading this right. Most likely it contains healing magic, which would be quite useful."

Darkantra
2007-11-17, 06:51 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

"Guys I found two other switches," He points their locations out to the group. Mulling over Torgal's offer he shrugs, "I'm out of ideas so go ahead. If it doesn't do anything I'm going to pull that one over there," he points to the one in L1, "if I don't see anything trapish."

[roll0]

Randel
2007-11-17, 08:15 PM
Lukas

Standing safely away from the switches, Lukas looks up at the ceiling to see if there are any holes in it and then back down at the platform. "If this is some sort of training thing... would the school set up the Exit system to look like a bunch of traps? Aw who am I kidding, who knows what they would do."

He then walks back to the chest, "Hey, the instructor said we were looking for a steel key... maybe they set it underneith this chest!"

He starts shoving the chest with the heel of his boot, being careful to only hit parts that don't have protruding points. Nudging it in order to see if there is anything below it. "If nothing else, we could take the chest... maybe use it to keep stuff in or trigger these traps?"

Just making sure, when Lukas cast Detect Magic I pointed out that he first checked the wand and then looked over the rest of the area. He didn't see any magical auras?

Kyroswolf
2007-11-17, 08:54 PM
Gamiel places a hand on Lukas' arm. "Perhaps you should be the one to do that. There is still some poison in your system. Let me attend to it before we wait to long."


Heal check to cure poison.
[roll0]
DC is same as for the poison, IFRC.

Breten
2007-11-17, 10:26 PM
The chest appears to be bolted down to the floor, for you can not move it nor pick it up, no matter what you do.

The druids attentions don't seem to have any effect on the wizard, but after a moment he is feeling better anyways. ((I guess your luck balances out on the saving throws!))

So now you are left staring at what appears to be 3 identical switches in the floor. After a moment's consultation, and warning everyone to step back Essel flips the switch at L1.

With a loud rumble a stone block to the north slides to the side, revealing a previously hidden metal gate. The gate however seems to be locked.

Darkantra
2007-11-19, 12:18 AM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel pulls the level and dances back, ready for scythes flying out of the walls, bricks falling from overhead, or something even more sinister.

"Huh," he says after the stone block has fully moved aside, "We might as well try the other levers now, Torgar, I'll see if there isn't a way to open this gate directly."

[roll0]

Breten
2007-11-19, 12:38 AM
The gate seems pretty secure. You could try forcing it, but don't have high hopes on how well it will work.




Essel Lightningfoot

Essel pulls the level and dances back, ready for scythes flying out of the walls, bricks falling from overhead, or something even more sinister.

"Huh," he says after the stone block has fully moved aside, "We might as well try the other levers now, Torgar, I'll see if there isn't a way to open this gate directly."

[roll0]

Adjudicator
2007-11-19, 08:20 AM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal followed Essel's lead and flipped his switch with the end of his longspear, waiting for any response.

As he did so, Torgal mused, "Maybe we have to flip all of them at the same time?"

Lochar
2007-11-19, 08:22 AM
Tarrin

"It's quite possible. Or in a certain order."

Randel
2007-11-19, 10:56 AM
Lukas

"Hmmm... the instructor said a steel key would open the only door out of the room. This looks like the only door. Maybe one of the other switches drops a key or something? Not sure what the third one would do."

Breten
2007-11-19, 12:53 PM
Everyone stands back and holds thier breath as Torgal uses his longspear to flip the second switch. For a second nothing happens and everyone blinks, looking around to see if some new secret door was opened....and then a group of angry kobolds appears in the room in a flash of coloured lights.


((Okay everyone, I need to you to let me know what square you are in (since some of you have moved since combat, also roll for initiative))

Kyroswolf
2007-11-19, 12:59 PM
D&D should be near the center since they moved to attempt a heal check on Lukas.

[roll0]

Lochar
2007-11-19, 01:01 PM
I should be at the same location I was at before.

Init: [roll0]

Darkantra
2007-11-19, 01:05 PM
[roll0] I'm in L1 right now, at least the kobolds didn't have time to prepare!

Randel
2007-11-19, 03:03 PM
Initiative: [roll0]
I'm at position F6, the northwest corner of the platform after poking the treasure chest.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-19, 03:10 PM
Then I should be in one of the squares next to Lukas. I leave it to DM. I'm sick at work today so don't feel like thinking too hard. Init from previous post was 20.

Adjudicator
2007-11-19, 06:21 PM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal cursed violently as the kobold warriors appeared. Kobolds were common in the Stonelands and often worked for the chromatic dragon clans, thieving and harassing the tribal peoples of the steppes. Torgal readied his longspear as he adjusted to the Kobolds' positions and his eyes flared once again.


Torgal is one square north of the switch he flipped, so either I7 or H8, which ever way you have the numbers and letters going.

Torgal Wynn
AC: 16
HP: ?/12
Init: [roll0]
Swift Action: Activate Draconic Aura of Power +1 - +1 to melee damage rolls

Breten
2007-11-19, 06:23 PM
Okay Rolling Initiative for Torgal and the Kobolds

Torgal [roll0]
Kobolds [roll1]

Breten
2007-11-19, 06:50 PM
Here is the battle map for Battle #2 (http://bp3.blogger.com/_y9bNLN6jfhY/R0IgAdDivuI/AAAAAAAAAAc/Juji5zP6v2I/s1600-h/D&D+004.jpg)

I used miniatures for everyone. I know they are a bit hard to make out, but you know where you are.

I didn't have a weaponless psiwarrior, so I used a monk.
I didn't have a dragon shaman, so Torgal is the Barbarian with the greatsword


The kobols are at A4-9 although the models are different (and some are goblins) they are all identical kobolds all are armed with slings and spears


Suddenly the room is filled with yipping and short barks as a group of kobolds appear in the room along the east wall. The creatures are as surprised to be here as you are for to have them arrive, but you quickly recover. As you prepare to attack the creatures you notice one of them is wearing a steel key around his neck on a chain, as if a badge of office or talisman.

((This is the kobold at A6. Everyone has initiative before the Kobolds, so remember they are flat footed (-1 to AC)

Initiative goes:

Essel
Gamiel and Gizmo
Lochar
Torgal
Lukas
Kobolds

Darkantra
2007-11-19, 07:25 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel is surprised as the rest of the group at the appearance of the kobolds but reacts quickly. He moves along the wall ((to H1 one move action)) and draws his bow ((2nd move action)), picking a target for his next round.

Lochar
2007-11-19, 07:43 PM
((The fact that only my username is used and the rest are PC names is sad. Shortspears or longspears? AKA, do they have reach or no?))

Randel
2007-11-19, 07:54 PM
Lukas

Seeing the kobolds appear, Lukas arms loads his crossbow and attacks the one at A6, due to its being closest to him. He then steps away from them to G6.

Attack: [roll]1d20[roll]
Damage:[roll0]

Randel
2007-11-19, 07:58 PM
Lukas' attack roll
Attack: [roll0]

Breten
2007-11-19, 08:36 PM
((Sorry Lochar! My bad. I've made the mistake before with others, I just caught it before posting. And the spears are just regular spears, neither short nor long.))

Lochar
2007-11-19, 08:56 PM
Tarrin

Tarrin grins, moving and letting his fingers sharpen again, striking out at one of the kobolds.

Moving to B3.

Attack: [roll0]
Confirm on 20: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Splatter!

Adjudicator
2007-11-19, 10:11 PM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal leveled his longspear and let out a shout as he once again charged the enemy before him. After all, it had worked with the goblin, why fix what wasn't broken? Trogal's boots kicked up grit and dust from the cavern floor has he sprinted towards the kobold directly across from him.



Torgal Wynn
AC: 14 (-2 for charge attack)
HP: 7/12
Init: 17
Full-round Action: Torgal charges the goblin in A8. +4 to attack (Furious Charge feat), -2 AC
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Just realized I forgot to add my +1 to damage for my previous hit, not that it mattered for that poor goblin!

Breten
2007-11-19, 10:26 PM
I think Kyrowolf is sick, and won't post tonight....so I will go ahead and roll for him. I am assuming since he has no spells left he is attacking. Charging to B5

Gamiel Attacks [roll0] (-2toAC)
Damage [roll1]
Handle Animal Check [roll2]

Gizmo Attacks [roll3]
[roll4]

Breten
2007-11-19, 10:36 PM
Gamiel nudges Gizmo into action charging the hated Kobolds. He aims his spear at the heart of of the lizard like creatures, but the wiley creature dodges a bit taking only a fleshwound instead. Gizmo caught up in the excitement of the charge forgets to attack however.

Tarrin jumps into the fray and using his claws once again tears the throat out of one of the puny creatures. It collapses gasping onto the floor, its life blood gushing out.

Breten
2007-11-20, 03:40 PM
Lukas aims his crossbow at the mob of pathetic kobolds, but finds it hard to actually shoot given their short stature and the fact they are all swirling in combat with his allies. Hoping for a clear shot Lukas wait for an opening.

The Kobold, angered and confused by the sudden turn of events that brought them to this strange place, and the adventures that attacked them, including a hated gnome gather their meger wits and attacks

Kobold 1 is dead
Koblod 2 attacking Gamiel [roll0] damage [roll1]
Kobold 3 attacking Gamiel [roll2] damage [roll3]
Kobold 4 attacking Torgal [roll4] damage [roll5]
Kobold 5 is dead
Kobold 6 attacking Torgal [roll6] damage [roll7]

Gamiel grunts in pain as the kobold that he had scratched earlier stabs him in the leg with its spear in return.

Torgal doesn't even flinch as one of the spears catches him in the chest. There was little force behind the thrust and it is a mere fleshwound.

Okay Turn 2.

Lochar
2007-11-20, 03:47 PM
Tarrin

Tarrin takes a five foot step over the dead kobolds body, eyes alight, as he reaches for the throat of the next kobold.


5' step, then full attack on kobold 2.

Attack: [roll0]
Confirm crit: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Attack: [roll3]
Confirm crit: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Adjudicator
2007-11-20, 03:52 PM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal grimaced as the kobold's spear found a chink in his chain shirt and scratched his chest. With a snarl, he jerked the longspear from the body of the dead kobold he had spitted and brought the weapon around, driving it forward against the attacking dragonkin.


Torgal Wynn
AC: 16
HP: 5/12
Init: 17
Standard Action: Torgal turns and attacks kobold 6 (moving if necessary)
Move Action: Move if necessary to reach Kobold 6 (shouldn't be, since he attacked me)
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Kyroswolf
2007-11-20, 04:11 PM
Gamiel winces at the wound in his leg, but still utters a command to Gizmo, "Takedown!" Upon the command Gizmo lunges at the kobold that struck Gamiel. Gamiel then thrusts his spear aiming to end the kobold.


Gizmo
[roll0]
[roll1]=7 rolled in OOC
[roll2]

Gamiel
[roll3]
[roll4]

If Trip succeds Kobold will be prone and at -4 AC. If Gizmo finishes the Kobold Gamiel will attack another kobold in range.

Darkantra
2007-11-20, 05:58 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

Seeing his friends all in melee and no good targets Essel drops his bow and draws his short sword, then moves up to F3.

Randel
2007-11-20, 07:40 PM
Lukas
HP: 8 AC: 14

Seeing that all of the kobolds are currently in combat with his allies, he doesn't want to risk hitting his team mates with his crossbow.

Instead, he readies an action to attack a kobold when it is not engaged in combat with one of his team mates.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

(OOC: okay, I just won't do anything this turn)

Breten
2007-11-20, 11:13 PM
At his masterís command Gizmo bites at the kobold wearing the key, tearing out the creatures throat in one swift movement, and breaking the chain holding the key around his neck. Gamiel follows up with a thrust of his spear, but a sudden twist of Gizmo sets his aim off and the thrust swishes through empty air.

Tarrin steps over the body of the fallen kobold, still leaking its life blood onto the stone floor, and attacks the next kobold with both claws. The creature, having seen the fate of his comrade skitters back away from the claws, avoiding both attacks.

Torgal pivots in place to attack another of the annoying yipping creatures, but this time the creature ducks below his thrust, and the spear scrapes along the wall behind ineffectively.

Randall meanwhile seeks vainly for an opening with which to be effective with his crossbow.

Breten
2007-11-20, 11:19 PM
Alone and trapped between the Clawed man who had torn apart his hatchmate, and the cursed gnome and his demon dog the last of the top three kobolds looks desperately for a place to flee to, but finding himself in a locked room, he despairs. Hissing angrily he makes a last attempt to take the cursed Gnome with him

Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

The remaining two goblins fighting Torgal sense the chance for advantage, and each step forward catching the Dragan Shaman between them. Cackling with evil glee they both stab forward with their weapon, attempting to finish the barabaric foe.

Attack [roll2] Damage [roll3]
Attack [roll4] Damage [roll5]

Despite their best attempts all the kobolds fail to harm their foes. Sensing the end is near they prepare themselves for the slaughter to come with growled prayer for vengence to Kurtulmak

Breten
2007-11-20, 11:39 PM
Turn Three!

Here is the updated Battlemap (http://bp0.blogger.com/_y9bNLN6jfhY/R0O3udDivwI/AAAAAAAAAAs/QJ40GrnyPno/s1600-h/D&D.jpg)

Kyroswolf
2007-11-21, 12:30 AM
Encouraged by Gizmo's ferocity, Gamiel lets out a war hoop. As he calls Gizmo moves to one of the kobold harassing Torgal and attacks. Gamiel strikes out his own attack, hoping for some kobold blood on his half-spear.


Assuming I'm in the B column
5ft. step from B5 to B6. Flanking with Torgal.
Gizmo attacking kobold at B7. HA roll of 16 in OOC.
[roll0] +2 from flank included.
[roll1]
[roll2]

Gizmo will attack B7, or the one at A5 if B7 is down.
[roll3] +2 if attacking B7.
[roll4]

Lochar
2007-11-21, 07:18 AM
Tarrin

Tarrin grins at the scared kobold, shaking his head and reaching out again.


Attacking the same one again. Do I have flanking now that Gamiel moved?
[roll0] Does not have flanking added.
Confirm Crit: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

[roll3] Does not have flanking added.
Confirm Crit: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Darkantra
2007-11-21, 01:40 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel spies an open kobold and charges towards it, grinning and sprinting with his sword held at his side for a quick strike to a vulnerable spot.

Essel charges the kobold at B7, ending his charge at C7 and attacking with his short sword. AC is 16 after the charge.
[roll0] extra attack bonus from charge
[roll1] the extra point of damage is from Torgal's aura
[roll2] and of course, skirmish damage for moving at least 10 ft.

Breten
2007-11-21, 04:17 PM
Essel's charge attack is parried by the kobold currently flanking Togal, but as he as he turns to fend off one threat he is caught unawares by the bounding maw of Gizmo, who nearly rips the creatures arm off, leaving it bleeding in shock on the floor. Gamiel meanwhile swings it his saddle, and aided by the strength of Torgals dragon aura runs the kobold behind him through. The creatures collapses in pain, even as Tarrin steps forward to finish him with his claws, leaving only one lowly kobold still active on the field.

Breten
2007-11-21, 04:26 PM
Torgal turns and thrusts at the last Kobold.

[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

The bolt flies harmlessly by the Kobold, sparking off the wall behind.

Breten
2007-11-21, 04:41 PM
The kobold dodges aside, so seeing the wizard still patiently waiting for a shot the Dragon Shaman steps back over the fallen corpse that had so recently been flanking him and clears the way for Lukas

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Breten
2007-11-21, 04:54 PM
The Kobold, knowing death is coming soon charges madly forward, attempting to kill the Dragon Shaman

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Essel then slips around the kobold, attempting to flank him (and allowing a AoA)

Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Then having moved in to advantagous positon attempts to skewer the creture on his short sword

Attack [roll4] Includes Flanking
Damage [roll5]
Bonus Damage [roll6]

Breten
2007-11-21, 05:02 PM
((come on! This is the combat that won't end!))

Gamiel and Gizmo bound up to try to finish the creature.

HA: [roll0]

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Gizmo once again comes through tearing out the creatures throat, even as Gamiel impales the creature. With all the kobolds dead you quickly search the bodies, recovering the steel key as well as:

120gp between the creatures
Another wand (arcane)

With the key collected and kobolds slain the only question is whether to leave now, or to flip the final remaining switch

Lochar
2007-11-21, 08:51 PM
Tarrin

"We're being tested on speed, but probably also on thoroughness. I suggest we try the last switch before we leave." Tarrin shakes his hands, throwing a few flecks of blood off of them.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-21, 10:00 PM
"If we do flip the switch is anyone injured? I have some minor healing still."

Darkantra
2007-11-22, 02:50 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel wipes his brow and jogs back to pick up his fallen bow and strap it to his back, choosing to keep his sword out this time. He walks around the third switch, eying it carefully.

"It's up to you guys, I didn't take any hits so I'm good for another fight, but I'm checking the switch out first."

1d20+6

Breten
2007-11-23, 06:11 PM
The switch appears to be identical to the other two, and holds no obvious indicator of what it does

((there hasn't been much movement on this, so I am assuming people are waiting for the swtich to be flipped since no one has protested))

Throwing the third switch, the part immediately hears a grinding noise above them, looking up they find a hidden grate slide open, and billows of a noxious green gas billowing down into the room.

Everyone make a DC 10 Will Save vs. Sleep

Darkantra
2007-11-24, 12:02 AM
Essel Lightningfoot

[roll0]

As Essel cranks back the switch he hears the ceiling above him shift and has but the briefest of moments to cringe before the gas swirls around him. His mind grows fuzzy for a moment and for a second he feels like he's back in the school grounds, falling to sleep, before snapping back into awareness.

Coughing out the gas he takes a quick look around for the other party members.

"Is everyone allright? If so let's just get out of here before anything else happens."

Randel
2007-11-24, 03:27 AM
Lukas

Will save: [roll0]

Lukas concentrates and keeps himself awake through the fatigue of the previous day, "Oh oh, I think somebody must have gotten the traps switched. This trap seems to work like some kind of trap."

Fanning away the gas from his face he says wryly. "I can almost imagine somewhere somebody installed a sleeping gas trap to protect their valuables... and find that their security system summons Kenku or something. Is everyone all right?"

Lochar
2007-11-24, 09:51 AM
[roll0]

Tarrin

Tarrin sneezes at the cloud falls over him. "Heh, I think I'm allergic to this gas. Other than that, I'm fine. Well, we've pulled all the switches, let's get out of here."

Kyroswolf
2007-11-24, 03:21 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]


Gamiel yawns as the gas washes over him, but quickly shakes away the drowsiness. Beneath him Gizmo stumbles and almost falls, before righting himself. "Everyone ok? Don't know about yall, but I'm ready to get out of here."

Breten
2007-11-24, 11:18 PM
Okay if you made your will save, then you have a round to act before you have to save again.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-24, 11:47 PM
Couldn't see where anyone had picked up the key. I'll assume Gamiel has it for this post.


Realizing the gas isn't disapating, Gamiel urges Gizmo toward the gate. Once there he tries to use the silver key to unlock it. "Get everyone on their feet and get over here fast. There isn't any wind to dissapate this gas." Gamiel waits by the gate for the others.

Randel
2007-11-25, 02:15 PM
Lukas

"Sounds like a plan." He covers his nose and mouth with a sleeve, breathing through the fabric to hopefully help keep the gas from affecting him. He runs toward the door, standing next to it.

Breten
2007-11-25, 05:36 PM
The key turns in the gate, and it swings open easily. Ahead is a tunnel, with soft light at the other end.

Lochar
2007-11-25, 05:38 PM
Tarrin

Tarrin quickly rushes through the gate, eager to not be hit with the gas' effects again.


In case I can't get past the gas in time...

[roll0]

Darkantra
2007-11-25, 06:09 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel runs for the gate, dashing into the tunnel to escape the gas. Once in the hallway he takes in a deep breath and waits for the others before walking into the light.

Randel
2007-11-25, 08:37 PM
Lukas

Lukas heads out the door with the others, ready to exit through the light when the others are.

Breten
2007-11-25, 08:54 PM
((rolling for Torgal))

Will: [roll0]


Barely holding his breath against the effects of the gas Torgal sprints and throws himself out of the chamber.

As he does so the world disolves once again around the party, and they find themselves standing outside the cave. The night air is cool, and the sweat of their exertion quickly begins to leave them feeling chill.

Glowering at the party with his arms crossed is Gell. A grim look on his face.

Well now, I will say this: You all managed to survive. It's more than many first timers can say. We didn't even have to use the failsafe measures built into the cave.

That said, I will also say that it is only by the wildest of favour from Tymora that it is so. You used your spell caster to open chests! You assumed just because you couldn't find a trap THERE WASN'T ONE THERE!

Pointing a nobby finger at Lukas his expression grows darker

By all rights they should have been dragging you out of there in a poison induced stupor.Not only that, you failed to have even a single useful spell ready, so you were left filling the walls with crossbow bolts instead!

Swinging his finger and his gaze to light on Gamiel he continues his rant

And you! It's your job to heal in this group, and instead you charge into combat on that slobbering beast of yours. Send it to fight if you must, but keep yourself back and away from danger. If you had gone down, what then?

His gaze widens to take in the whole group.

Worst of all you forgot the mission. You mission was to get the key and get out. So what do you do after you have the gate and the key? You hang around flipping switches to see what happens next. Curiosity doesn't just kill cats. It kills adventurers by the score. First rule: ALWAYS REMEMBER THE MISSION! In the unlikely case you graduate and are allowed to bear the schools crest your employers will expect that the gold paid to the school will result in you getting the job done. Now how is that gonna happen if you are all asleep on the floor and have your throats cut?

And one more thing. YOu wasted a lot of time jawing and deciding what to do. That time will get you killed in a real combat setting. Chose one of you...I don't care which and make him your squad leader. At the next assembly he will stand at the front of your unitl. You can decide who it will be however you wish. But from now on they will be in charge, and we will all expect you to listen to them

He spits noisily and pointedly.

Why I keep at this I don't know. You will all get yourself splattered all over the pavestones first real combat you see. Well, don't sit there looking sorry for yourselves. Go back to bed. You will need the sleep you can get. Tomorrow at dusk you will discover how you did compared to the other groups

With that he turns and bellows out into the shadows.

Okay send in the next batch

As you drag yourselves away from the cave, utterly exhausted you see Team Silver striding, apparently well rested, towards the cave.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-25, 08:59 PM
Gamiel winces as the team is berated by the dore dwarf. When he receives his personal tongue lashing, he visibly cringes.

As they trudge back to the barracks he voices his thoughts, "I personally thought we did pretty well, but I can see his point. Combat alone, and combat with a team cannot be the same. I'm used to staying with Gizmo and keeping him in good shape. Now I also have to think about all of you. I'll remember that. Perhaps rather than using Gizmo's strength to best my enemies, perhaps I should use his speed to get to you when I'm needed. I'll have to remind myself of that next time." He stops talking as they reach their barracks. Once their he removes his gear and neatly arranges it in it's place. He then lays on his bunk, Gizmo at his feet. He looks at his teammates, contimplating who deserved to be the squad leader. Each performed admirably in the cave, and he had so far formed high opinions of them all. "So, what he said about a squad leader, who do yall think it should be?"

Lochar
2007-11-25, 11:05 PM
Tarrin

Tarrin looks at the dwarf, raising an eyebrow. "We weren't completely rested, and if I recall correctly, mages require more than the ten minutes given to us at the beginning to memorize spells." He shrugs. "Not like it makes a difference to you though, Master Gell, since the others you'll be sending through here will have had a full nights sleep and time to set up, right?"

Tarrin walks off towards the barracks, ignoring the Silvers.

Darkantra
2007-11-26, 12:28 AM
Essel Lightningfoot

Walking out of the cave Essel didn't expect their group to get glowing praises, they had set off both traps and been wounded more than a few times, but was caught completely unprepared by the dwarf's outburst. He had a hard time keeping his mouth shut as the dwarf berated them all, inwardly fuming at the tongue-lashing that they received.

Listening to Gamiel on the way back made him calm down some but he couldn't stop thinking about his personal failure in the cave. Once back in their barracks Essel sits down heavily on his bunk and pores over the experience.

"While that dwarf really gets on my nerves," he begins with a shrug and starts removing his gear, "He was right about a lot of things. We all fought well, but outside of that we were like a chicken with its head cut off. Each of us did our own thing without giving too much thought to the whole group.

We've got a healer and his dog who aren't afraid of a fight, two skilled warriors, a good mage despite whatever that arse said, and someone who can sneak," he ends pointing to himself. "If we work as a team there's no reason why we can't be at the top of the class.

As for the future, I'll keep looking for traps and backing everyone up in combat. I've got quick reflexes so I'll open up all of the chests in the future as well, that way if I screw up and a trap goes off I won't be endangering the rest of the group.

He looks at each one of the group. Strangely, he found that he could trust them, depite the little time that they had spent together. As for a leader... he just didn't know, deciding to hear what the others said before deciding on anything.

Randel
2007-11-26, 01:51 AM
Lukas

Lukas frowns a bit at the dwarfs almost unfair complaints but doesn't say anything. Mulling it over, he realizes that he does have a point. While he didn't have adequate time to prepare, there are times when it would make sense that he wouldn't have that luxury in the field. Though the not having the proper spells prepared bit... it would always be hard to determine just what spells he would need anyway. And the whole opening chests when he wasn't the trapfinder thing was pretty foolish now that he though about it... and it would make a sort of twisted sense to make both the door-opening switches and gas releasing switches similar to fool adventurers.

"Thank you for your advice." he says, nodding, and he turns around to return to the barracks.

After hearing what the others have to say, he says. "Well, I think we were lucky on this one. Hopefully after some decent rest I'll be able to help out more effectively."

Thinking, he adds. "Though, as for the team leader... they should have social skills for dealing with people. I don't think I would really qualify for that... learning how to bluff and negotiate kind of goes at odds with magical prowess for some reason. But, before we get too far ahead... perhaps we should deal with the treasure we got?"

Adjudicator
2007-11-26, 10:03 AM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal stumbled into the light as he let out a last gasp, gratefully sucking in fresh air. Blinking the stinging gas out of his eyes, Torgal listened carefully to the dwarf's critique of the team's performance. Tribal elders had had little time for the niceties of protecting a youngling's feelings, so Gell's rant was actually fairly familiar to the dragon shaman.

As they walked back to the bunkroom, Torgal mulled over Gell's suggestions and listened to his new friends' input. When the others had weighed in, Torgal spoke up for the first time.

"Gamiel is right about needing to adjust our style. I know I am used to working on my own, or with a much larger group from my tribe. We need to carefully consider out strengths and weaknesses and figure out the best way to use all of them. As for a squad leader, well, I had some experience with leadership in my tribe, but was only just starting my training when I was invited here. I do seem to get along well with people and my draconic abilities often let me use some intimidation, when necessary. If the rest of you do not object, I feel I could do well as a squad leader. But I don't want to force myself on you, so tell me what you think."

With that, Torgal arrived at the bunkroom and gratefully shrugged out of his chain shirt and propped his spear against the wall, heading for the jakes to sluice off the kobold and goblin filth and the residue from the gas.


Torgal has a +2 to charisma and it's a stat I'll be leveling, as many of his draconic abilities depend upon it. He also has access to intimidate and bonus effects that help at the start of combat. Maybe we could designate the squad leader for combat only and pick another leader amongst ourselves for town and social interactions?

Anyway, the offer's there, as I don't want to spend three pages figuring out who we'll pick!

Randel
2007-11-26, 12:17 PM
Lukas

"Well, you have my vote." Lukas says to Torgal. He picks up the arcane wand and looks it over, studying it to see if there is a clue as to what spell might be in it.

Lochar
2007-11-26, 12:57 PM
Tarrin

Tarrin speaks up from the jakes, where he is washing himself off."I don't much care who. We're gonna be run hard regardless, especially if we're going to be considered from the fun little impression we were forced to make last night."

Breten
2007-11-26, 01:56 PM
Mercifully the party is allowed to rest once they get back to barracks, and you sleep solidly. When you awake in the morning there is already a hearty breakfast set out on the table of your common room, though none of you heard anyone enter to set it for you. The sun is already quite high, and you realise you have been allowed to sleep in. Grateful for the rest you dig into the mornings food, suprised to find it is both fresh and of excellent quality.

As you finish your meal you find yourself wondering what to do next as no formal schedule has been given to you. Your thoughts are interupted by a commotion outside. You stick your head out to see most of the other students grouping around a large sign board by the parade grounds.

Going to investigate you find everyone is straining to see the posted results of last nights test. Pushing your way in you manage to read the list.

Trial One Results:

Silver
Blue
Green
Red
Black

Failed to complete:
Gold
Orange
White

Across the parade ground you see several of the professors moving towards the stage, though they seem in not particular hurry. Gell is not among them strangely. The other teams are mixed together talking to each other. It seems several of them are recounting the trials of the cave last night, but others have thier heads together and talking excitingly in low voices, their eyes sliding now and again towards Bertram's tower, and the Green team.

((If any wish to find out what they are talking about make a gather information check))

Joff of the Silver Team is loudly boasting about his teams victory last night to any he can intimidate into listening. When he sees your team reading the results he pushes his way over to you.

Hey I see that you guys actually made it through alive and placed respectably. With results like that you should be recognized. BEST OF THE LOSERS!!!!! It doesn't seem his teamates are around, and the other students are glaring at Joff...but neither seems to keep him from laughing loudly at his own joke.




For Essel Only



When you wake in the morning as you stretch on your bed you realise that there is a unmarked envelope under you pillow. You pocket it for the moment, and when you have a chance you glace through it. Inside written in precise script are the words.

"Show this to no one." Come to Alustair's folly at 3 candles after midnight. Let no one see you. This is your first test"

The message is unsigned and unsealed.



For Lukas
[/spoiler] The wand is definitely arcane. Do a knowlege arcana roll to determine the spell. The command word "Engor" is written on the wand. It appears to hold enough magic energy for 10 castings.

[spoiler]

Lochar
2007-11-26, 02:04 PM
Tarrin

Tarrin looks Joff over for a moment. "Money might have bought you first place, Joff, but I doubt it buys you any comfort at night." Tarrin reaches into his pocket and pulls out a green strip of fabric and tosses it towards Joff. "Give that back to Jemma, would you? I still have several from our little meeting." Tarrin walks off, ignoring Joff as he tries to figure out what's going on with the Green team.

Gather Info: [roll0]

Watch me roll a 1.

--Edit
Yep!

Randel
2007-11-26, 02:05 PM
Lukas

Knowledge(Arcana): [roll0]

Randel
2007-11-26, 02:12 PM
Lukas

After checking the wand, Lukas heads over towards the groups to get in on what people are saying. Preferring groups with more spell casters in them over others.

Gather Information: [roll0]

Also, this morning he prepares:

0-lvl
ray of frost
acid splash
detect magic

1st-lvl
mage armor
enlarge person

Breten
2007-11-26, 02:46 PM
For Lukas;

The wand is a wand of enlarge person with 10 charages on it
From listening to the gossip spreading around you can pick up the following: There were some strange noises heard from Bertram's tower last night around midnight (while you would have been in the cave)
Bertram was seen visiting the Green team's barracks last night
A petite girl named Lia from Green team is apparently very important for some reason and is rumoured to be a powerful sorceress.
There is a rivalry brewing between the blue and Silver groups.



For Tarrin

As Goff looks puzzled by the piece of cloth thrown at him, suddenly a muscled impressive young woman in full mail step up beside him and retorts at Tarrin

Some men don't have to pay for women's attentions, but then again what would you know of such things? For all I hear, your specialties is using you hands!

((If you want to learn more about he green team roll a gather information check))

Kyroswolf
2007-11-26, 02:57 PM
Spells for day
0 level
Cure Minor Wounds x2
Detect Poison
1 level
Cure Light Wounds x2
Plus Racial spells


During breakfast, Gamiel studies the divine wand, trying to use his limited knowledge to better understand it.

As they gather outside Gamiel rides Gizmo through the crowd, interjecting bits into conversations trying to find out whats going on with the Green Team, and also more about the daily routine of the school from the better mannered of the 2nd years. If he spots a divine caster he presents the wand and asks for assistance with it.


[roll0]

Lochar
2007-11-26, 03:05 PM
Tarrin

Tarrin turns, before chuckling and bows. "Yes, I do use my hands a good bit. Would you like to feel their caress as well?" He raises an eyebrow at her. "I have never paid for a woman's attentions. I see I have yours, or were you looking for coin?"

Darkantra
2007-11-26, 03:15 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

After waking Essel slips the card inside his pack and eats a full breakfast with the others. Mulling over their conversation from the last night he finds that he agrees with Gamiel and Lukas, Torgal did have a presence about him and would probably be their best choice for the face of the group.

When everyone else goes outside to check on the commotion Essel hangs back inside the building long enough to open the card and read the contents.

Oh great, a test, I just have no idea where I'm supposed to go. Pocketing the note he dashes outside in time to join the others. Wherever that is I'd better find out before midnight.

Reading the scoreboard gave him a bit of a shock, second place despite the haraunging they got from Gell was pretty damn good. Grinning Essel begins slipping between the other groups of students, easily moving around them due to his size, trying to pick up more information about the Green team, whom everyone seemed to be talking about.

[roll0]

Adjudicator
2007-11-26, 03:53 PM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal grabbed some fresh fruit from the breakfast table alongside the others as he got into his chain mail and picked up his spear and pack. The exhaustion from last night's exam had faded to the pleasant feeling of a job well done, though his muscles would be tight until he limbered up.

Following the others out the door, Torgal joined the crowd around the team postings and grinned in satisfaction when he saw Blue's rank. "Great job, everyone. For the amount of sleep we got and the limits that put on our spellcasters, we did well," Torgal commented as he walked with the others away from the board.

Laughing as Tarrin once again burst Goff's bubble of arrogance, Torgal picked up on the vibe of conversation and waved a hand absent-mindedly at the others. "I'll be back in a bit, guys. In fact, I'll meet you at assembly once the profs get their acts together."

Torgal headed towards the crowds and flashed a smile towards some of the other new students, mingling where he could and relying on his relative good looks and striking eyes to make introductions where his breeding normally would restrict access. Keeping an ear open for the conversations, Torgal kept an eye on the stage and his teammates, watching for the signal that the assembly was going to start.


Time to see if those dragon class ranks of Gather info will do me any good, along with my whopping +2 charisma!

Gather Information: 8 [rolled in OCC] - ugh!

I'm teaching for the next two hours and then have to go home, but if there's movement before I'm back, Torgal will take the head of the line, which Gell suggested for the Squad leader, if no one else objects.

Breten
2007-11-26, 04:09 PM
Essel

You pick up the following rumours.

1. Mirana is easy.
2. Bertram is secretly an ancient gold dragon, and the noises in his tower are him noisily devouring students
3. The Silver team used powerful magic items to win the last challenge
4. The purple team's leader is one of Azoun IV's bastards
5. Joff was seen snogging some Cleric from the Black Team called Luna
6. Lia from the green team is actually Bertram's lover



Tarrin

make a Charisma check to see who gets the last insult in this battle of the wits. Alternatively you can make a Diplomacy check with a -2 modifier.



Gamiel



As you circulate among the students you meet Amantha a cleric of Lathander. She is polite and cheerful, and answers any questions you have about the school. (you can send them by PM) She helps identify your wand as being a Cure Light Wounds, with 10 charges on it. You learn that you will most likely be divided up and sent to classes based on your specialty in the group...in your case you will probably be sent with Father Tal for cosmology and religion or Marc Darkforest for Surivival and Wilderness training.

You find out that Amantha is from last years Silver team, which was highest in last years standings. Infact Silver team wins almost every year.

As you ask around about the Green team you hear the following

1. Lia on the green team was visited by Bertram last night.
2. The green team contains a duskblade who is a notorious coward and tried to fake an injury to avoid the run.
3. The cleric on the Green team worships the god of whores.
4. The teachers in the school have been ordered to go easy on the green team

Lochar
2007-11-26, 04:23 PM
Cha check: [roll0]

Breten
2007-11-26, 04:28 PM
Tarrin



Charisma Roll: [roll0]



The cleric laughs, but then her eyes harden.
Sorry Tarin, I already got a man, beside everyone knows what happens when you get alone with someone of YOUR family. A friendly romp with a cute guy is one thing, but getting your mind $%@!*^ is quite another

The teachers have made their way to the platform and the now familiar voice of Gell rings out

Fall in!

You fall into your groups quickly, and shortly a good looking man in expensive robes with a harp case slung over his back steps forward. His voice seems to fill the whole square as he speaks, and he has a sense of commanding majesty to him.

Welcome to my school. I am sure that Gell has greeted you in his own...unique way yesterday, but now it is my pleasure to welcome you here myself. You are Cormyrs future! The best, brightest and boldest in the country, and it is to you our nation turns in this the hour of need. Train hard and learn well for not only your own future, but that of country could depend on it. But I have no fears. I know that glory awaits you, and that you shall do this school, your families and our nation proud

As his words flow around you, you feel your hearts bouyed with excitement and hope, and dreams of your future adventures soar in your spirits. But watching him as you speak you can't help but notice a sadness in his eyes...beautiful but sad green eyes surrounded by deep dark circles as if he had not sleep well in a week.

Today your lessons will begin. Warrior types are to go with Gell. Divine casters with Father Tal, and spell casters with Master Glitterspells. Those of you with more sneaky abilities, well you have already received your instructions. I would suggest you find your way to class on time. Your teacher is not amused with lateness....or incompetence.

With that the groups of students begin wandering in different directions to their classes.

((Essel we will handle your search for you class and what come of it by PM))

The weeks pass and you settle into a schedule of classes, drills, lectures and practices. The schedule is long and busy, and each night you find yourself pushed to the point of exhaustion and ready for sleep as you return to bed.

Lochar
2007-11-26, 05:39 PM
Tarrin

As they leave the parade grounds, Tarrin makes towards the cleric.


"Which would be why I'm with the blues, and not the silvers. Allow me to reintroduce myself. Tarrin Kael."

Breten
2007-11-26, 06:37 PM
For Tarrin



The cleric grins at you.

"Ofcourse neither of us has the blood to be a Silver. Luna Hawksongs." she says offering you her own hand.

"You have a sharp wit and a quick tongue. I like that. I have only met your family once...your sister actually. YOu don't seem to much like her."

Lochar
2007-11-26, 07:08 PM
Tarrin

Tarrin takes her hand, shaking it for a moment and smiling at her. "Not for lack of their trying to make me be like them. I'm not one for making politics follow my whim. As for my sister, her attitude is silver even if her blood isn't."

Breten
2007-11-26, 10:26 PM
CLASS CHALLENGES!

((these events happen to each of you individually over the next month or so, though not all at the same time. ))

TARRIN and Torgal



Your combat lessons with Gell push you to the limits of your abilites. Over the next few weeks you are constantly drilling. Some days you run laps, some days you practice forms. Sometimes there are lessons on battle strategy and the history of warfare. Most days you spend some time practice fighting with wooden weapons.

Finally one day Gell meets you on the parade field where you do most of your drills and announces

Okay enough with the practice. Its time to see what you are really made of. Grab your gear, your full combat gear mind you, and meet me down at the cave.

After hastily grabbing armour and weapons you march double time down to the Cave where Gell begins to pair you off. Tarin gets paired off with a large half orc barbarian with a even larger axe from the White team while Torgal is paired with slender young elf noble in fancy clothes armed only with a rapier from the Gold.

Now listen up. This is how it will work. Each of you are to fight your partner. This is real combat, so its no holds barred. The cave will protect you for too serious of harm. You win by knocking you opponent out, pushing them out of the 30 ft circle you will be in, or causing them to yield. Winners will advance to fight other. The final winner will be rewarded with a masterwork weapon of your choice from the school's armoury.

You each step into the cave and find yourself transported to a large cavern with a dozen 30 ft diametre dueling circles marked out. YOu each take your place on opposite south end, with your opponents at the north end, and at Gell's yell you spring into action.

((roll initiative and declare your first rounds action))




Essel



You have already received your class challenge. You may make whatever skill or ability checks you wish to gain more information, or describe what you will do to try and find out the meeting place.

You may start with a knowledge local, knowledge noblity, or knowledge history check, whichever is best for you.



Gamiel



You spend your weeks moving back and forth between Father Tal's lectures on faith, the gods, cosmology and healing, and hunting with Marc Darkforest the half elf in the woods. Marc's classes are as exciting as Tal's are boring. But both are full of invaluable information.

After a particularly an unusually interesting class with Father Tal, this time lecturing on medicinal values of plants Tal approaches you.

You have done well in the class Gamiel, and I hear from Master Darkforest you do well in his class too. But the first tests of the season are coming up, and for you there is a choice. Do you wish to be tested by me, or by Master Darkforest. Both will test your skills and require you to use your divine spells in different ways. You will not know what each test involves before you make the choice. Simply choose: which of us would you rather be tested by.

Although the old man is very old for a human, his eyes twinkle with youthful mischief beneath the wrinkles of his wisened faith.

Randel
2007-11-26, 10:32 PM
Lukas

At the earliest opportunity, Lukas meets up with the others to divide the treasure. "Well, it looks like we have 240 gp in coin, a 50 gp bloodstone gem. and two wands with ten charges of magic in them... a divine one that can heal and the arcane one that can make people grow to about twice their normal height."

"Given the utility we would get from the wands, I suggest we designate them as property of the group... to be used to help the whole group on our missions and more or less in the care of whoever can use the magic in them... which would be Gamiel and myself I suppose. The gold and gems will be split up evenly among the five of us, which amounts to 58 gp each."

He looks to the others, "So, does that sound alright? I guess one person could get the gem, I don't think it can be used as a material component." he checks the gem again to see if it is cut or uncut.

Lochar
2007-11-26, 10:41 PM
Tarrin

"I'll take the coin, if you don't mind. Do remember though that the wands have a value all of their own, and whoever takes those should have less coin."

@BretenInit: [roll0]
I'm assuming that I'd manage to get my focus before battle, correct? It'd be something he'd do each morning before leaving the barracks.

Manifesting Claws of the beast. PP left, 2.

Should he win init, he charges and bull rushes, taking an AoO (AC 13). Opposed Str checks: [roll1] +2 from charging. Should he win the str check, he pushes the orc out of the ring.

Should he not win init, he'll 5' step if required towards the half-orc and attack. If more than 5' distance, move to him and attack with only the first attack.

Attack: [roll2]
Confirm: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Attack: [roll5]
Confirm: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

Adjudicator
2007-11-26, 10:55 PM
Torgal Wynn

Torgal listened to Lukas and Tarrin discuss the loot from the Cave. "Actually, Tarrin, if we require that the wands be used for the group, then I'd be fine with equal shares of the gold. If the guys with the wands are going to sell them, though, then we should divide the gold differently." Torgal paused and took a moment to look at the gold. "I'm not used to coin money, myself. The tribe usually takes any gold pieces we recover for supplies and our tithe to the brass dragon clan we are allied with takes whatever we have left. There's very little room for personal possessions in the Stonelands. Guess I'll have to find some nice equipment to buy, eh?" Torgal grinned.


Torgal Wynn
AC: 16
HP: 12 / 12
Initiative: [roll0]
Draconic Aura: Power (+1 to melee damage)

Actions:
Should Torgal win initiative, he will charge the elf
Charge Action:
Furious Charge (+4 to attack instead of +2)
-2 to AC
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Should Torgal lose initiative, he will attempt to skewer the elf following his attack (assuming he doesn't need to resist grapple or some such). If an AoO is needed, let me know and I'll roll in the OOC. Full AC, as well.
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Breten
2007-11-26, 10:59 PM
((sorry Lukas. I posted a big thing for you, and just lost it. Grrr. I will work on getting it up again ASAP. The gem is cut))

Lochar
2007-11-26, 11:02 PM
Tarrin

"True. Then an even split?"

Breten
2007-11-26, 11:13 PM
Lukas



(( I am doing this in point form since I don't have time to redo all the fluff parts I wrote.))

-Glitterspells teaches the class instead of Aryenae one day. He informs you that it is time to practice the practical aspects of spellcasting. Your first test will be a arcane duel.

-The duels will be held in the Cave, in a 30ft diametre circle. No magic can pass outside the circle, or inside the circle.

-Upon entering both opponents will have the chance (which is optional) to cast one non offensive spell. (It may not effect the other duelist in anyway at any part of the duel)

-At the sound of the gong the duel will begin. Each duelist will try to incapacitate the other using spells. No weapons are allowed. After 5 rounds if there is no clear winner the victory will be assigned by a panel of judges.

-All students may use any of the schools first level spell books to memorize their spells for the day.

- The winner of each round will be granted the right to scribe a scroll of any first level spell from the spellbooks in the library.

-The final winner will be granted a wand chosen by Glitterspells.

-Your first opponent is a Abjurer from the White team. He confides he doubts he can knock you out, but is confident he can protect himself and hopes to win by jury decision.

((Chose your spells for the day. They will be the same for all the rounds this day. Roll initiative. Also I need to know what 5 1rst level spells are currently in your spellbook.))

Kyroswolf
2007-11-26, 11:20 PM
Concerning Treasure

As Lukas discusses the treasure, Gamiel reaches down to scratch Gizmo behind his ears. "I'll gladly designate the wand for 'party use.' It also allows me to prepare a better variety of spells. It's been a while since I cast 'Speak with Animals' and had a good conversation with Gizmo."

Concerning Class

Father Tal's offer takes Gamiel by surprise. "I have been hoping to continue my studies in healing. I want to be able to help those I find in my travels, but I find my true calling is to nature. I believe I'd like to be tested by Master Darkforest; however, I'd like to continue taking your classes if possible?"

Randel
2007-11-26, 11:42 PM
Lukas


1st level spells in my book

enlarge person
grease
mage armor
charm person
sleep
magic missile
ray of enfeeblement

7 spells, 3 from starting out and 4 from my +4 int modifier



(( OOC: So, if I am to understand, I can use my entire allotment of spells in a match without having to worry that in later matches I will be out of spells? And my 2 1st level spells can be any from the sorcerer/wizard list. ))

I memorize

cantrips
acid splash x2
ray of frost x1

shield x1
cause fear x1


Initiative: [roll0]

Breten
2007-11-27, 12:04 AM
Tarrin and Torgal Round 1

At the sound of the gong Tarrin shifts his fingers into claw form and springs forward attempting to push the massive half orc out of the circle by catching him unawares. The Barbarian is caught flat footed, and so cannot defend himself against the unorthodox attack, yet when Tarrin slam into him he bounces off as if the half orc was a brick wall. ((Orc str check 13+4=17))

As Tarrin staggers back, the Orc recovers himself and attacks.

((Attack: 12+6)) and strike a blow against Tarrin. It was hardly a full strength blow (dam 4+6=10) but is enough to almost drop Tarrin. Tarrin is forced to call on all his will to keep himself upright and attack again

(Autohypnosis check)

Torgal

Torgal gets to attack first and charges forward bellowing a war cry to his dragon patrom. The elf standing across the circle from him smiles and comments "My how eloquent!" as he ducks aside. He then gracefully spins around behind you evading any chance to strike at him (Tumble check 24) and thrusts at you with his rapier (attack: 6+5= 11) but his attack is turned aside by your armour and fails to do any harm.

((okay go ahead and post for round 2))

Darkantra
2007-11-27, 12:04 AM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel nods to Lukas' suggestion once the five of them finally get a chance to sit down together.

"That's a good plan, whoever's the best at haggling can sell the gem the first chance we get, and we'll split everything evenly but the wands. Potions, wands, scrolls, really anything that benefits the whole party shouldn't come into play when we're dividing up our gains, but anything that's going to be sold should. If we come accross anything that fits one of us perfectly then it should count for their part of their share, as well."

After the quite stirring speach Essel tries to quickly recall anything about Allustair's Folly, a name that's been itching at the back of his mind since reading the card. Though his parrents hadn't taught him almost anything about their nation's history they had told him a few things about landmarks...

[roll0]

Breten
2007-11-27, 12:43 AM
Essel



As you ponder the challenge given to you, you immediately connect the fact that Alusair (sorry for the typo before) is the regent of Cormyr, youngest and only surviving child of Azoun the IV.

What or where her folly might be will take more research however. To find out more you can try to do research in the library, or question other students or teachers about Alusair, or you can go explore the village or country side looking for clues



Gamiel


Father Tal smiles benificently down at you. "ofcourse you will continue to have classes with me. If you had chosen my test you would have been tested in your ability to heal others in a combat setting. HOwever since you chose Master Darkforest, you will have to see what test he will set before you."

You make your way from there to the forest at the edge of the castle grounds, and there Darkforest is waiting, instructing several students in archery.

"Ah Gamiel. So you chose to test with me. Probably for the best. Here is the deal: meet me tomorrow at the Cave to begin your test. Choose your spells for the day wisely, as you will need them to make it through your challenge. What that challenge may be I will not tell you, only that it will pit you against nature, and see if your mastery of it is as great as you think."

((choose your spells for the day))



Lukas


((yes your spells renew between rounds. Because of the nature of the cave you do not actually cast them, it just seems so))

You find your way into the circle. And at Glitterspell's signal each begins casting their spell. ((declare your spell and you may make a spellcraft check to detirmine what your opponent is casting))

When the second signal is given both of you spring into motion gesturing and speaking, casting at exactly the same time.

((declare your spell. Then make a Will save DC 14)

Randel
2007-11-27, 01:03 AM
Lukas

my prepared spell is shield

I cast Cause Fear

Will save:[roll0]

Spellcraft:[roll1]

Breten
2007-11-27, 01:24 AM
Lukas:

Watching your foe cast his defensive spell you recognise a somwhat obscure choice: Nightguard which defends against magic missile while simultaneously granting a bonus to all saving throws. You cast your defensive spell, and then at Glitterspells signal you cast your own spell. With a gesture and a word your spell takes hold battering past your foes defences and filling the youth with terror. With a scream the abjurer flees the circle, visibly wetting himself. ((Save Natural 1!))

At the same time you find yourself picked up by some force and moved backwards 5 feet, moving you out of the circle. Both of you are disqualified at the same time!

The 3 judges put their heads together to decide the contest between them, and finally vote 2-1 in favour of you. It appears that the extra touch of causing your foe to lose control of his bodily functions decided it in your favour.

((You may choose which spell you wish to receive))

Your next challenger is an Evoker from the Red team.

((Choose your spells. I will assume after this unless you mention otherwise that shield and cause fear will be your opening spells.))

Darkantra
2007-11-27, 01:55 AM
Essel Lightningfoot

((Haha, I thought they were similar. Cormyr is fond of A- names so I thought it could be anyone))

Essel slaps his head as the name resolves itself in his mind. Inwardly he curses his parents at never stressing the importance of royalty. He ponders for a moment, unsure of how he should go about finding the place, and decides to ask around one more time before heading up to the library.

[roll0]

Randel
2007-11-27, 01:57 AM
Lukas

I choose 'Ray of clumsiness' from the spell compendium.

Also, yes shield and cause fear are my opening moves with ray of frost and acid splash afterwards. Not exactly optimal ones, but Lukas is fairly new to the combat thing... yeah, that's the ticket.

Plus I didn't think to look in spell compendium :smallredface:

Adjudicator
2007-11-27, 07:32 AM
Torgal Wynn


Torgal Wynn
AC: 16
HP: 12 / 12
Initiative: 13
Draconic Aura: Power (+1 to melee damage)
Standard action: Melee Attack
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Torgal ignored the elf's chatter and focused on his spearwork. The elf might seek to throw him off with his taunts, but Torgal had seen the heat of real battle, with blood and sweat and tears. There was little chance the elf would disrupt his concentration. Spinning as the elf's rapier rattled off his chain shirt, Torgal thrust with his spear again, hoping to catch the elf as he recovered from his attack.

Lochar
2007-11-27, 08:47 AM
Tarrin

Autohypnosis check:[roll0]
DC 20

Should the check be made, Tarrin claws at the orc.
Attack: [roll1]
Confirm: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Attack: [roll4]
Confirm: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]


Tarrin claws at the orc ineffectively, then 5' steps back.

Breten
2007-11-27, 10:28 AM
Essel



As you ask around about Alusair your get the following information

-She was always a willful and rebellious child
-She would often take groups of purple dragons or young nobles on raids into the Stonelands. This group of knights became known as The Blades
-She has no patience for life at court, and became regent only out of great neccesity
-She is hot tempered, and overly direct, and has little patience for diplomacy
-She is was nicknamed the Steel Princess, and now is named the Steel Regent




Tarrin



The half orc smiles grimly as Tarrin fails again to harm him. You fought well, and your determination does you well. But now it is time to finish this. With that he heaves his axe around again ((Attack: 15+6=21)) This time there is no avoiding it, and as the axe smashes into your neck, you find the world going white around you. You awake a few seconds later, in perfect health, but with the eeire memory of being decapitated. The half orc smiles down at you, and offers you a hand.

Good battle. But I must say it was rather dumb of you to try and push me around! Better luck next time!


That was an unlucky match up for you. Anyone else, and you probably could have taken them. Ah well perhaps we will get to square off some other time



Torgal


Twisting around you thrust out suddenly at the slippery elf catching him in the side with a mighty thrust. His leathers stop the blade just enough to keep him from being killed, but it is a grave wound indeed. He has no witty patter this time as he grimaces, and the thrusts back at you, keeping his guard up even as he does so. (Combat Expertise to add +2 to AC, -2 to hit)

The thin blade strikes true this time, sliding into the flesh of your arm (4 damage) and then pulls back, your opponent watching warily for what you will do next.

Lochar
2007-11-27, 10:36 AM
Tarrin

Tarrin takes the offered hand and pulls himself up. "Had I found my footing a bit better, it might have been a different outcome. I was attempting to push you out of the ring before you would have been able to hack at me with that thing." Tarrin laughs quietly.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-27, 11:04 AM
Gamiel


Spells for day of Test I'm assuming I can use Spell Compendium. If not I'll edit.)
0 level
Cure Minor Wounds
Light
Detect Poison
1 level
Calm Animals
Endure Elements


On the day of his test Gamiel rises early and takes extra care to prepare himself. Focusing his spell selection on being able to endure nature rather than controlling it. He hasn't groomed Gizmo in a few days, and he himself has not bathed. He wants to blend with nature, and soap only makes you stand out. He rides Gizmo down to the cave and waits for Master Darkforest to arrive.

Breten
2007-11-27, 11:28 AM
Lukas



The Evoker is a overconfident young man who seems a bit frenetic in his behavior, pacing back and forth and talking to himself as he waits for the signal for the match to begin. You each cast your defensive spells, and you are surprised to see him casting True Strike.

At the signal you both begin to cast. You are faster (Ini 21vs5) and with a gestures cast Cause Fear. His self mastery seems too great for you spell to affect him however, and he instead makes an arcane gesture, and then comes striding forward with supernatural accuracy he reaches out to touch you ((attack 9+20=29) and at his fingers contact a jolt of electricity goes racing through your body. The lack of metal you are wearing protects you though, as the jolt makes you hair stand on end, but does little else.

You respond again battering at his courage with your arcane might, and this time his will is not as strong. With a yelp of fear he turns and flees from you, escaping the circle and forfiting the match.

((You win again choose a spell! I will just keep going for you.))

Your third match you find yourself pitted against Mirana from the Silver team. She stares at you coldly, but says nothing as you prepare for the battle.

As the match starts and you cast shield, she makes a simple motion and a shadowy aura begins to surround her for a second, then vanishes. You have never seen this type of magic before and are alarmed that she did not seem to cast a full spell.

However as the signal to begin goes off Mirana's attention is captured by something outside of the circle. (Initiative role 24vs1)

You get off your cause fear spell, but even distracted as she is Mirana is able to resist it, though barely. Caught off guard and unable to take any action herself you quickly cast again, battering at her will. This time your spell breaks through he weakened attentions, and she turns with panic in her eyes and flees out of the circle.

As soon as she exits, she stops, the spell dispelled by her exit. She turns and look coldly at you.

You may have won mageling, but not by your own merits. Next time you will not be so lucky. but even as she talks, you realize her eyes are not on you anymore. Instead they are locked firmly on Jemma, who is standing behind you a few paces, with a false look of innocence on her face.

Oh pooh now sister. Don't be such a bad sport. You lost fair and square, and now the defeating the boy will have to fall to me.

As the two of you line up in the final circle the rest of the class gather round. You hear wagers being made back and forth over who will win, and support seems about evenly divided between you and the Silver Enchantress.

At Glitterspells signal you both cast your defensive spell, and as you once again summon a shield of force, you see her cast a simple cantrip which will bolster her will a bit for one round.

At the final signal you both burst into motion casting spells simultaneously (19vs19)

Both of you batter aside the others defences, and you cause her to flee, even as she crushes your will and sends you into a deep sleep.
When you awake you are amazed at the force of her spell, but the judges are deliberating animatedly, though it appears they warded their conversation. At length the three turn and face the group.

It has been decided that the duelists shall face each other again. The last duel was too evenly matched

As you take your positions again Jemma is barely maintaining her composure. "You got lucky that time Lukas. Don't think it will happen again. I will crush you. Some guttersnipe merchant son will never overcome the might of a trueblooded noble!

The defences prepared are much the same, and as the final signal is given both of you begin spell casting with desperate speed. This time you finish first and your spell races out, batting aside her willpower as if it wasn't even there and sending her fleeing the ring. ((Save 6)

There is a resounding cheer from the crowd as Jemma is defeated, and you see a few silver and gold coins trade hands among the students. Glitterspells comes forward smiling, offering congratulations and presenting you will a wand of cause fear with 15 charges on it. Aryenae looks less pleased with you and gives oldly perfuntary congratulations before leading the other students out of the cave. Of the third judge, and the Silver sisters, there is no sign at all...but you feel a cold certainty that they will not forgive this victory.

Adjudicator
2007-11-27, 01:40 PM
Torgal Wynn


Torgal Wynn
AC: 16
HP: 8 / 12
Initiative: 13
Draconic Aura: Power (+1 to melee damage)
Standard action: Melee Attack
Attack: [roll0]
Confirm: 1d20+2: [10] rolled in OOC
Damage: [roll1]

Torgal merely grinned fiercely as the elf's blade sliced open his arm. He had taken deeper wounds in training at the tribal grounds, so the elf's attack was easily shrugged off. Circling his opponent, Torgal maneouvered so that the edge of the circle was behind the elf's feet. Then, thrusting with deceptive quickness, Torgal struck with his longspear once more, aiming to finish the bout in a single strike.

Darkantra
2007-11-27, 03:49 PM
Essel Lightningfoot


((slight change of actions from previous post))
After picking up a few good pieces of information Essel stays with the main group of students for a little while, looking out onto the parada grounds to see if he can spot any other sneak specialists leaving the parade grounds in a confident way.

[roll0]

If he manages to see another sneak leaving the grounds he'll attempt to follow them. If not or the other sneaks are milling about as confused as he is then Essel will try to slip unnoticed into the castle and make his way to the library.

Randel
2007-11-27, 03:50 PM
Lukas

"Thank you very much." Lukas says as he graciously accepts the wand from Glitterspells. He watches as the others walk away, somewhat concerned about making so many enemies.

For his spells, he chooses cause fear, nightguard (after seeing the spell used in the first round.), and alarm (if the last round victory grants a spell in addition to the wand).

Accepting his prizes, he heads back to blue teams barracks.

Breten
2007-11-27, 07:06 PM
Essel



Make a spot check to see watch the others, and a bluff check to pretend like you are doing something else or a hide check to remain hidden while doing so



Gamiel



You are led by Darkforest to the cave. When you step inside you find yourself instead standing in a clearing surrounded by thick forest.
Darkforest turns to you and begins stringing his bow as he talks

Your test will involve your ability to deal with hostile animals. A series of enraged animals will be sent into the clearing. You must calm, subdue or slay each one before it slays you. Each time you succeed, another more powerful one will be sent in. Your spells will not renew between animals, though you will be given a short time to prepare. Whoever in the class is able to survive the longest, and subdue the strongest creature will win the challenge. Calming or subduing a creature will gain higher marks over slaying one in the case of a tie. I will be watching from the woods. You have one minute to prepare. Wait here in the center of the clearing.

Round One:

Make any preparations you wish, then roll Initiative



Torgal



You skewer your opponent neatly, just as the village elders taught you, his agile moves and distractions useless against you. He falls the floor unconcious, his rapier clattering on the stone, but then just as fast his wounds are healed and he is looking up at you wryly.

So much for good looks and brains beating out brawn. Well done.

Before you can offer him a hand he tucks into a roll and tumbles to his feet. He gives you an elaborate bow, and turns to walk away.

You find yourself matched against a rather plain looking young woman, unarmed and barefoot, dressed in simple white breeches and shirt. Her hair is long and red, but bound in a braid behind her.

She watches you intensely, unmoving from her ready position until the gong in rung, and then she explodes into motion.

((roll Initiative))

Darkantra
2007-11-27, 07:17 PM
Essel Lightningfoot

Essel ducks behind the platform and shrinks down to the ground, peeking his eyes out from under his cloak to take in the courtyard.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Adjudicator
2007-11-27, 07:29 PM
Torgal Wynn


Torgal Wynn
AC: 16
HP: 12 / 12 (assuming I'm healed up as well?)
Initiative: [roll0]
Draconic Aura: Power (+1 to melee damage)

Torgal studied the woman across from him, furrowing his brow as he took in her empty hands. A wariness settled over the barbarian; he had heard of the monks from Cormyr that fought with fist and foot. Gripping his spear tightly, Torgal readied for the combat gong

[If Torgal loses initiative]

Torgal was amazed at the speed the monk moved with. Doing his best to parry her blows, Torgal used his spear to strike back.

Standard action: Melee attack
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll2]


If by some miracle, Torgal wins initiative, he'll furious charge (+4 to attack, -2 to AC). Also, I rolled a confirm, but 19 is not a crit for longspears, dammit!

Breten
2007-11-27, 08:04 PM
Torgal



The monk sprints across the circle with blind speed, and before you can do anything throws herself at you. Moving inside the threat range of your spear she unexpectedly grabs ahold of you.

Touch attack [roll0]

((Since you are flat footed that should do it))

With a hold established she begins to entangle you, painfully pushing into sensitive points of your body.

((make a grapple check))

Adjudicator
2007-11-27, 08:29 PM
Torgal Wynn


Torgal did his best to resist the monk's quick hands and struggled back against the grapple.

[roll0]

[OOC: BTW, Torgal has a +2 to dex, so his flat foot AC is 12, which might invalidate the whole grapple. Up to you, though. Also, do I not get an attack of opportunity when she initiates a grapple?]

Breten
2007-11-27, 08:29 PM
Essel



Watching carefully you notice two students, both whom you believe to be rogues. One is a girl in leathers with red hair who is walking unconcernedly towards the library tower. The other is a well dressed noble who is trying to slip unobtrusively out the east gate.

Breten
2007-11-27, 08:37 PM
Torgal



((You normally would get an AoA but monks get improved grapple as a feat option first level. Also you don't get your Dex bonus this round because you are flatfooted))

Grapple Check: 8+2=10

The monks tightens her grasp on you and your muscles scream as they lock into place. You can hardly believe such a small woman to be capable of such things. Even as you think this she bring one foot up and smashes your kneecap

Damage: 4+2=6

((You are now grappled. Before you may attack with your spear again you must break the grapple.))