PDA

View Full Version : Greater Blink

Crow
2007-11-13, 06:50 PM
In the description of this spell, it says the caster can control his/her blinking between the physical and material plane. Does this mean that a character casting this spell can effectively use it as a lower-level Ethereal Jaunt spell?

trainer343
2007-11-13, 06:51 PM
No.

I think it's more of an "blink:on, blink:off" kind of thing.

KillianHawkeye
2007-11-13, 07:05 PM
I'm pretty sure that's just a reference to how it doesn't interfere with your own attacks the way blink does, since you can control it to not blink out when you're swinging your sword or whatever.

Kaelik
2007-11-13, 07:30 PM
You can use it similarly to an Ethereal Jaunt Spell. The difference is that you are required to blink, you can only control at any given moment where you are going to be.

So anything you can do with Ethereal Jaunt you can do while Blinking, except that you will be visible on both planes. However, you can walk through walls, attack Ethereal targets as you like. Moving up and down is not so great since you move up at a quarter normal speed and fall at half speed. (Though sinking into the floor is a viable option as long as you are out of it by the end of your round.)

Crow
2007-11-13, 08:10 PM
You are right. Just got back to my books. It would appear that you can pretty much move through walls at will so long as you don't end your movement there.

The only real advantage that I see ethereal juant having is that you can traverse more "solid" space.

deadseashoals
2007-11-13, 08:32 PM
You can control, at any given moment, what your state will be. However, you're still blinking, and thus, you're still rapidly shifting between planes, and it's still semi-uncontrollable. So, Crow is right, you can traverse through more solid space with ethereal jaunt, which is actually a considerable advantage. Also, ethereal jaunt renders you completely invisible on the Material Plane.

Crow
2007-11-13, 08:38 PM
With Greater Blink you still get to strike as an invisible creature, and 150ft. through solid objects is usually all you need. =)