PDA

View Full Version : Advancement and Size Changes?

RTGoodman
2007-11-13, 11:59 PM
Quick question:

For some creatures, the Advancement areas say something like "Advancement: 4-5 HD (Medium); 6-8 HD (Large)." How does this work if you add class levels to the creature?

In my case, I'm using Yurians from Fiend Folio, and their advancement area says the same as above, and I'd like to create a Yurian Cleric 5 or something like that. However, with the 3 racial HD that they start with (unless I'm reading the 3.0 stat block incorrectly), that would give him 8 HD, which means he would grow to Large size.

Is this how that works? Or does the size change only count if you add more Racial Hit Dice?

[By the way, I know Yurians are from 3.0, but Gargoyles (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monstersG.html#gargoyle) in the MM 3.5 are the same way - they have a favored class (and therefore can take PC class levels, I would assume), but the advancement line is the same as I mentioned above.]

AslanCross
2007-11-14, 12:02 AM
Class levels do not increase size. Actually, an "advanced" creature is not a creature that "leveled up" but a creature that was strong to begin with.

In the same way, mounts and animal companions do not increase in size.

RTGoodman
2007-11-14, 12:06 AM
Okay, thanks - I guess what confused me is that some creatures have "Advancement: By Character Class."