PDA

View Full Version : Make up.

Emperor Demonking
2007-11-15, 12:49 PM
If you make a world what would be the typical make up of a typical pirate ship.

" " the best school in the world.

" " the miltia.

" " the governing body.

" " high ups in the basket weavers assosciation.

Wraithy
2007-11-15, 01:26 PM
sorry if its just me, but could you be a little clearer?

Green Bean
2007-11-15, 01:31 PM
Well, the important thing is moderation. If you use too much base, you'll look like a featureless automaton, but if you use too little, you'll shine like a disco ball. Same with mascara; you have to walk the line between 'dull' and 'cheap hooker'. :smalltongue:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-15, 01:55 PM
For make up you should always go with rouge, lots and lots of high level sneak attacking rouges.

VerdugoExplode
2007-11-15, 03:28 PM
Remember when engaging an enemy tribe the goal of makeup is to look as intimidating as possible. Therefor I recommend using a black and white motif to emulate a skeletal face as skeletons are quite frightening. If that doesn't work try a healthy coral pink lipstick.

Enlong
2007-11-15, 03:48 PM
I think what he's asking is what would each of those things generally be made of, so it's like:

If you were to make a world, who would make up these various things

A typical Pirate Ship (lots of Rogues, Bards, Arcane Triksters and rangers says I, as well as flying capabilities, 'cause sky pirates rule!)

The Militia (Fighters, Paladins, etc., and the buildings they are garrisoned in would consist of lots of white stone)

The Governing Body (Paladins again, and I would put in a bit of corrupt gov't that isn't made up of paladins, just for some plot hooks)

The Basket Weavers (...)

Indon
2007-11-15, 03:57 PM
If you make a world...

I'mma see if I can think of an innovative world, here, because the questions are less-applicable for the worlds I've actually made.

Pirate Ship: Mostly Warlocks serving the demon-lord in charge of sea-chaos. They don't so much have a 'ship', as they fly around taking stuff back to a well-fortified island base.

Best School: The best school of my world, The Tower of Knowledge, would have Factotums as most of the students and faculty. The Tower of Knowledge teaches the foundation of both secular knowledge, as well as divine and arcane magics.

Militia: A volunteer force of Commoners who chose to become infected with werebear-lycanthropy.

Governing Body: Rogues. There's really no other option.

Basketweavers: High-level adepts, who fulfill the majority of the world's questing (and basket) needs.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-11-15, 03:59 PM
sorry if its just me, but could you be a little clearer?

Pretty sure it's just you. What needs to be clarified? Do you not know the meaning of " " notation? I wish you were clearer, so I could better answer your question. " " basically means "ditto above goes here."

So...

" " the best school in the world = If you make a world what would be the typical make up of the best school in the world.

TimeWizard
2007-11-15, 04:01 PM
Pirates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_piece), I find toner to be the cornerstone of any look, and include a Druid captain of a ship crewed by [aquatic] templates.

Doresain
2007-11-15, 04:25 PM
dwarven pirates

MCerberus
2007-11-15, 04:29 PM
Azer Pirates.

Stormcrow
2007-11-15, 04:36 PM
Marvelous pigments might make for amusing make up...

Crow
2007-11-15, 05:05 PM
Go read Republic, maybe?

de-trick
2007-11-15, 05:15 PM
school a orc barbarian school

milita wizards and sorcerers who used all their spell slots'

government black guard, and assassins

Basket weavers monks and Samurais

pirates Paladins

VerdugoExplode
2007-11-15, 05:27 PM
Ah, now it makes sense.

Well, in my world the pirate ships would be made of wood, as it is easy to come by and quite buoyant. Also wood strikes fear into the hearts of my enemies while a Styrofoam ship would be laughed at.

The best school in the land would be made of stone, preferably a good strong stone, with mortar to keep it together, although much of the interior would be furnished with wood as a purely stone school would be very uncomfortable to live in.

A militia would be made of people unable to perform anything more complicated than standing around. These people would be made of cells, organs and bones.

The politicians would be made up of those incapable of meeting the stringent standards of the militia and would also be composed of organs, cells and bones. The bones are especially important as a politician without bones would be unable to perform many of their duties like signing official looking documents and shaking peoples hands.

The high ups of the basket weavers association would be made of wicker, replacing their blood and vitals with basket weaving material in an unholy and secretive ritual designed to prolong their lives. This is known as weaving the soul and creates a basket in which their soul resides. Much like liches and their phylacteries but with more baskets and less megalomania.

RS14
2007-11-15, 05:36 PM
I would have most magical commerce by done by air (because a flying ship is simply so much more versatile than a seabound one, and a flying ship is less constrained by seaworthiness and so can be heavily fortified). Obviously some commerce would be by sea, but these would most likely be either over inflexible trade routes or by small, short range vessels. Piracy would either be conducted by ambush, water walking or flying directly to the ship, or by well equipped forces with magically protected crafts of their own, most of whom would be privateers. Larger bands would typically be lead by some exceptional individual (Sorcerer, Dragon Shaman, Dragon Disciple). Most of the rest would be a mix of classes, but mostly martial classes, or commoners/warriors in the smaller groups.

Best school? Most likely some professional institution, such as the Academy of Dwarven Engineers. Though depending on what you consider the best, some academies for the children of nobility might be ranked higher. Taught by Experts in the first case or Bards in the second. Mages would likely be trained in an apprentice system, as no wizard is likely share all his arcane might with a bunch of of drunken twenty year olds, or even his fellow faculty for that matter.

Militias of common people would be commoners, perhaps with a level of fighter depending on experience. They would be primarily skirmishers. Javalins, slings, bows, etc. Clearly they are no match for many threats, and so many towns would rely on static defenses (Walls, trenches, abatisses, chevaux de frise) to hold off attackers and allow them to be softened up with volleys of weapons. Due to the large size of many threats, balistae and similar weapons would often be mounted along ramparts, as would satchels of alchemists' fire. If full time forces were maintained, they would likely consist of sword and polearm fighters (With the logic that such pairings would allow them to destroy opponents most rapidly.) Cavalry would be considered too vulnerable or expensive. Magic armor would outnumber magic weapons due to a desire to bring experienced fighters back alive, and also the lower prices of armor. Furthermore, it would be easier for a small contingent of spellcasters to boost weapons than armor. These would be primarily clerics, with some sorcerers as direct combatants, and would focus on supporting troops in direct combat. There might also be paladins (depending on culture and wealth), who would take a more active role than clerics and also provide mobility.

The governing bodies would be organizations able to take and maintain hold of significant magical resources and knowledge. Probably beguilers, nobles, and clerics. In fact, I think most governments would tend towards theocracies, although without crushing opposing faiths (it makes for bad divine relations, and when deities can come down to earth and look at you for 305d6 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/vengefulGazeOfGod.htm), you want to seem less-bad than the opposition party.) Of course this might also lead to them lacking the ability to project influence, which is just fine as it's a great environment for adventuring.

A real Basket Weavers' Association would have no reason to organize. Instead the Basket Weavers' Association would be a collation of radical, interplanar Marxists united by the goal of throwing off the shackles of religion and magic-guilds and introducing a utopia of farmer-constructs and brotherhood.

I should be writing a paper. Can you tell? :smallwink:

MCerberus
2007-11-15, 05:42 PM
The best ships and best pirates are both from Crimson Skies and that lovely (PC) game on the universe.

It gives you chances to yell 30's slang while doing generally badass things.

Wraithy
2007-11-19, 12:03 PM
ah, so thats what it means.
well then, I suppose it'll have to be 100% Pun Pun:smallbiggrin:

Fhaolan
2007-11-19, 12:40 PM
Pirate Ship: Undead, of course. Zombies, skeletons, ghouls and whatnot following a pirate lich-king. The ship would be built right out of a undead dragon, the 'sails' being the dragon's wings.

Best School: Rogues and Fighters. The School of Hard Knocks!

Goverment: Rogues and Bards. Afterall, the best way to control the populace is to convince them they want to be controlled. Or steal an election. Or assassinate the previous government.

Militia: Basketweavers. Got to go with those militant basketweavers.

Basketweavers: Elves. Got to be good for something, right?

:smallbiggrin:

CrazedGoblin
2007-11-19, 12:45 PM
the who what now......

Indon
2007-11-19, 01:33 PM
The high ups of the basket weavers association would be made of wicker, replacing their blood and vitals with basket weaving material in an unholy and secretive ritual designed to prolong their lives. This is known as weaving the soul and creates a basket in which their soul resides. Much like liches and their phylacteries but with more baskets and less megalomania.

Wickerlich... excellent.

Yami
2007-11-19, 02:34 PM
In my world, (which you may not want to adventure in) the typical pirate ship would be crewed by some 20-30 orges or other high STR creatures, all with as maxed out a swim as they can get, and endurance boosting feats/abilities/items. Every captain would be a spell caster of some sort, so's that thier crew doesn't turn on them after a few years of carrying a honkin' heavy huge peice of wood around on thier backs for years, and for the nessisary mass breathe water or water walkevery now or then when the ship needs get 'wet'.

Of course the occasional fool might not be able to secure such a crew, or the nessisary mass charm spells and may need man it with weaker fare, but then they are sea locked, and are often seen as little more than merchants who get goods by more respectable means to real pirates. The party may play such fools at times, and often do.

------

Schoolin':
now in such a world, most schools would be based on teaching people how not to think, a staple of empirical design. But the best in the world would have to undoubtable be The School. The freethinking amalgam of underwater druids and rangers that hold no set 'classes', but will happlily impart thier years of wisdom and learning to any considerate enough to join them for a day of testing the local flora and fauna for the best hallucenogens. They never really bothered much with the name, but due to the underwater nature, The School seem immaturely funny at the time.

The School never fears from pirates due to the enherint difficult in dragging bouyant material underwater for so long in search of a some nomadic group. That and whose gonna mess with a bunch druids?

------

Now, while the underwater civilizations have little to fear from pirates, and merely consume eachother in a massive game of life, above ground many various milita groups have formed for protection. Some with better results than others. The one country that attempted to train rouges from it's commoners for instance, soon found itself without a tresury and has since vanished from the maps. The once great Emo nation is now a wandering band of refugees lamenting thier poor class bonuses and peppering the streets with mournful dirges and poetry. Most of them feel this is a step up from the toil of thier old lives due to the large sums they are paid to stop thier practices or move elsewhere, but do thier best to ignore such good fortune, lest they lose thier edge and need revert to slumming.

But these are of course, the failures and we look for not but the best, that we can emulate them. They would be the new founded 'Hatchlings' of the up and coming 'New Draconic Empire'. In turth these humaniods are little related to dragons, the self proclaimed emperor being half dragon at best, but few argue with a man how has shown time and again that his is willing, and able, to use breath-weapon attacks on you until you accept his rule. The Hatchlings work well as a combined force, due to thier relativly high charisma, reducing the tension between individuals. The low hit dice and and large egos also ensure that no one wants to be a jerk becuase sooner or later you'll just be charmed by some twenty of your comrades.

Speaking of which, the battle field implacations. 30d4+30 is nothing to sneeze at, and though a shield spell may spell doom for a small group of the hatchlings, when thier morale breaks you can be assured that every member uses expeditious retreat and books it, ensuring a reuseable defensive force.

-------

The best ruling body would be the aforementioned Dictator of the New Draconic Empire. An undead halfdragon who religiously prosecutes any clerics and fastidiously collects bonus vs turning items. Honestly, the people love him. I mean, usually when a new empire raises it's ugly head thier are wars and death all over the place. Not this time. Now it all assasinations and running straight upto the next ruler and tearing his arms out of thier sockets if he doesn't surrender. Often without the surrender options. The peasants do nothing but profit.

But perhaps the true ruling body would be the Other PC, the Cleric, cuz nothing says booyah to interparty squabbles like turning someone undead and them commanding them. Seriously, I love these guys. Curst FTW!

--------

As for The International Head Basketweaver for the 36th year in a row, I give you Sir Martimer Bollimus, a once animal companion to a powerful driud, who was awakened before said druid met an untimely end fending off pirates. The Knighted octopus now resides in a comfy lighthouse quite outside of any national borders, and is often visited by liches looking for the latest in fashion for thier pylacteries, or by adventures seeking baskets of holding and the like. Or, horrors of horrors, secretly converting said baskets into magical armour, helms such the basket of insight.

A painstakingly wrought work of love for another of the late druid's companions, the basket of insight was meant for a tiny viper who was the sole surivivor of it's brood, trampled but an inatentive barbarian. She met Sir Martimer through a support group for the indivividuals abondoned by the unfeeling monster of a druid every level up. The basket's original purpose, a resting place for the viper to meditate upon the wisdom that comes with not being able to do much besides a low fort save bite but having really sweet hide skills, was turned to a horrible destructive end when a vicious gnome wizardress dumped poor old sally out of her little home and proceeded to wear it, giving her fireballs a bonus of 3 to thier DC, and then didn't even discarded the old circlet she's been wearing, which in truth, would have made for a poor substitute.

Jayabalard
2007-11-19, 02:38 PM
Pretty sure it's just you. What needs to be clarified?Judging from the responses the OP has gotten so far, I'm pretty sure it's not just him.