PDA

View Full Version : unfinished class that i have not named.. more below

Jarota
2007-11-15, 05:11 PM
so here this is my first excursion into making a class.

i got the idea from the shinigami/vizard off of bleach the anime. so it's very loosely based off of it, however, the ideas are mine and how i feel they should be represented if put into a class with a little bit of fluff here and there. i'd appreciate some critique and help if at all possible.. thanks

Shinigami
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|AC Bonus

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Fast Movement +10

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Shikai

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Acrobatics +2

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Shunpo (x1.5)

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Evasion

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Speed Climb

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6|Acrobatics +4

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6|Great Leap

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+7|Fast Movement +20

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+7|
+7|Bala

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Acrobatics +6

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Zanpakuto Mastery

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+9|
+9|Shunpo (x2)

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+9|
+9|Improved Evasion

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Acrobatics +8

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Bankai

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11|Fast Movement +30

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Cero

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Blindsense 30ft[/table]

Starting Gold: 2d4x10 (50 gp).
Starting Age: As monk.
Hit Die: d8

Class Skills (4+Int modifier, ×4 at 1st level): Balance, Climb, Craft, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Jump, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcane), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, and Tumble

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Shinigami is proficient only with their own Zanpakuto and the weapons it can change into, but only if that weapon is their own Zanpakuto. The Shinigami is not proficient with any armor

AC Bonus (Ex): The Shinigami is highly trained at dodging blows, and has a sixth sense that lets him avoid even unanticipated attacks. When unarmored and unencumbered, the Shinigami adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC. These bonuses to AC apply as a monk’s.

Fast Movement (Ex): A Shinigami’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet at level 2. At 10th level this bonus increases to +20ft and then +30ft at level 18. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the Shinigami’s speed because of any load carried.

Shikai (Ex): The Shinigami only uses one weapon throughout his life and that is his Zanpakuto. This weapon appears to be a katana while unreleased, with unique hilts depending on the particular Shinigami. Beginning at level 3 the Shinigami begins to unlock the potential of his weapon and can now use the first release of the weapon (Shikai) and this release takes 1 round to perform. The length of time it can stay released is half the Shinigami's level + Wisdom modifier. Once the Shinigami releases that energy the Zanpakuto returns to its base katana form and cannot be released again for 2d6 rounds. The Shikai also gives the Shinigami a +10 to his base land speed as well as gaining an energy attack usable 1d4 rounds that deals 2d4 damage. The Zanpakuto that give up their energy attack gain the ability to change into a completely different melee weapon that deals more damage than a katana and these weapons can be a mixture of two different weapons (i.e. spear/three sectioned staff or Ivy from SC’s sword/whip). But if the Zanpakuto changes into a smaller melee weapon that deals 1d6 damage or less it can both change shape and keep its energy attack. There is also a 1% chance that the Zanpakuto will change into 2 weapons.

Acrobatics (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a Shinigami gains a +2 bonus on climb, jump, and tumble checks. This bonus increases to +4 at level 8, +6 at level 12, and +8 at level 16.

Shunpo (Ex): The Shinigami is able to travel at high speeds for short periods of time. Starting at 5th level a Shinigami is able to travel up to 1.5 their movement speed in a movement action once per round. They can use to this to travel through threatened space without provoking attacks of opportunity because they are moving too fast, in fact it looks as if they are teleporting. At level 11 he is able to travel 2 times his movement speed.

Evasion (Ex): beginning at 6th level, a Shinigami can avoid damage from certain attacks with a successful Reflex save. A Shinigami’s use of evasion differs from the monk’s use in that a Shinigami can use evasion only if he is wearing no armor and carrying no more than a light load.

Speed Climb (Ex): A Shinigami of 7th level or higher can scramble up or down walls and slopes with great speed. He can climb at his speed as a move action with no penalty; however, he must begin and end the round on a horizontal surface (such as the ground or a rooftop). If he does no end his movement on a horizontal surface, he falls, taking falling damage as appropriate for his distance above the ground.
A Shinigami needs only one free hand to use this ability. This ability can be used only if a Shinigami is wearing no armor and is carrying no more than a light load.

Great Leap (Ex): At 9th level and higher, a Shinigami always makes Jump checks as is he were running and had the Run feat, enabling him to make long jumps without a running start and grating a +4 bonus on the jump. This ability can be used only if he is wearing no armor and is carrying no more than a light load.

Bala (Ex): At level 7 the Shinigami gains the ability to manipulate negative energy into a weapon. This is a bolt of negative energy that can be fired as a full round action for 3d6 un-typed energy damage as a ranged touch attack.

Zanpakuto Mastery (Ex): As the Shinigami grows in power he is able to control the energy needed to keep the releases of his Zanpakuto as well as its unreleased form. At level 13 the Shinigami treats his Zanpakuto as though it has the Speed enchantment in its base, first and second release forms. He also adds double his Wisdom modifier to the number of rounds he can keep his Zanpakuto released. Also, he can disguise the unreleased form of his Zanpakuto as any mundane sort of item (i.e. staves, canes, etc…).

Improved Evasion (Ex): This ability works like evasion, except that while the Shinigami still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless Shinigami does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Bankai: This is what most people consider the ultimate Shinigami weapon. This is the 2nd level release of the Shinigami's Zanpakuto. This release takes 2 rounds, which do not have to be consecutive, to complete. The land speed increases to +20 and the energy attack increases to 4d8. For those weapons that transform shape in the Shikai form they can now take on a weapon form that is one category size larger than their wielder can use. For those Zanpakuto that did not change in the Shikai form, they can now change shape if they so choose.

Cero (Ex): A large burst of un-typed energy from the hands. Hits in a 20ft radius and deals 8d6. Reflex halves (DC 12+half Shinigami level +Wis mod). Usable 3/day

Blindsense (Ex):

----------------------------
Playing a Shinigami
----------------------------

Religion: Shinigami do not pay homage to any one god

Other Classes: Shinigami tend to get along fairly well with all classes

Combat: Shinigami use their speed first to try to gain the upper hand in a battle. At higher levels this is especially true, resorting to their strength only if speed alone will not suffice.

Zanpakuto: This is the Shinigami’s sole weapon, but it is unique in that it is in essence, 2 or possibly more weapons. If it is ever broken then it will regenerate in 1d4 days and if it is stolen, the Shinigami can call it back to himself as a swift action. Its unreleased form is that of a katana, that counts as a masterwork weapon, and it changes form with each release. As well as changing forms the weapon also gains special properties with each release. The first release, or Shikai, takes 1 round to perform. Each Zanpakuto also adheres to one of the following energy types: Fire, Lightning, Air, Ice, Water, Earth, Acid, Negative, Positive, and Shadow. There are a select few Zanpakuto that can harness the power of more than one element type and these are considered to be the stronger types. (10% chance of receiving one of these (1-23 for 2, 24-44 for 3, 45-62 for 4, 63-74 for 5, 75-82 for 6, 83-89 for 7, 90-94 for 8, 95-98 for 9, 99-100 for 10). The energy attack that the Shikai gains can be a 40’x10’ line, a 30ft cone, or a 10ft radius spread and the Bankai doubles these numbers. (80’x20’ line, 60ft cone, 20ft radius spread.) Reflex halves DC (Shinigami level+Wis mod for Shikai and double Wis mod for Bankai)

Exeson
2007-11-15, 05:24 PM
Just call it 'Death god', cause thats what it looks like to mwe, you watch Bleach by any chance? :smalltongue:

Now for the helpful comments...... well, i am terrioble at homebrewing but it looks ok so far, I would need to see the finished result, and obviously the releases are quite an important part of the class.

Innis Cabal
2007-11-15, 05:56 PM
its a base class, it dosnt need an ability every level. Some dead levels are fine

Jarota
2007-11-15, 06:32 PM
Just call it 'Death god', cause thats what it looks like to mwe, you watch Bleach by any chance? :smalltongue:

actually yes i do watch bleach a lot :smallsmile: great show..

okay so i'm getting ready to finish putting the rules for the other abilities that i forgot to put before

thanks for the help so far

Hazkali
2007-11-16, 03:42 AM
its a base class, it dosnt need an ability every level. Some dead levels are fine

Ah, but they make a class really boring to play. Imagine putting in the effort to level up to find you only get a couple of hit points, a handful of skill points and maybe an extra pip on your base attack and saves...:smallannoyed:. Even if it's something that has almost negligible game effect, it's still nice to get something at every level.

Jarota
2007-11-16, 09:15 AM
Even if it's something that has almost negligible game effect, it's still nice to get something at every level.

:smallbiggrin: yeah i feel the exact same way

Matthew
2007-11-16, 09:40 AM
Ah, but they make a class really boring to play. Imagine putting in the effort to level up to find you only get a couple of hit points, a handful of skill points and maybe an extra pip on your base attack and saves...:smallannoyed:. Even if it's something that has almost negligible game effect, it's still nice to get something at every level.

Yeah, 3e gives out so much candy we've gotten greedy. Still, there's no denying that it's annoying to get something at Level X, but not Level Y. It also encourages characters to switch between Classes.

That said, a Class Feature at every Level generally harms the versatility of a Base Class, and is contrary to the 'customisation' aspect of 3e Character creation. Consider turning some of these into Feats and assigning the Class Bonus Feats.

Jarota
2007-11-19, 10:34 AM
That said, a Class Feature at every Level generally harms the versatility of a Base Class, and is contrary to the 'customisation' aspect of 3e Character creation. Consider turning some of these into Feats and assigning the Class Bonus Feats.

yeah. i'm not particularly fond of an ability every level, but i'm also trying to make up for the fact that this class only uses one particular weapon (up to four but that's with the releases) and also doesn't use any armor. so i was actually thinking about getting rid of some the abilities such as "great leap" and some of the others and giving them an extra AC bonus similar to the monks.

how does that sound?