PDA

View Full Version : Bard without spells: the balancing act...

Townopolis
2007-11-17, 02:43 PM
I'm planning on running a very low-magic campaign, and for this I want to include the bard class, but without their spellcasting.

Obviously, the bard retains some of his magical nature, otherwise he wouldn't make sense, but I'm trying for a class that uses a unique brand of 'bardic magic', bearing no resemblance to sorcerous finger-waggling.

I started off with this (http://corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Tome_of_Battle_Core_Class_Update), but still wanted a bigger change.

What I have right now is this. Bard loses spellcasting, but gains maneuvers as a crusader with access to the diamond mind, setting sun, and white raven disciplines and also gains the dragon shaman's auras (sonic energy).

In my mind, it seems like it should be balanced, but I want a second opinion. A third, fourth, and etc. opinion would be nice as well.

[Edit:] Now that I realize the marshal class is available in its entirety online, a second possibility occurs.

Bard loses spellcasting, but gains marshal auras at a slowed rate. Gaining a minor aura at 1st, 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, and 19th levels; and gaining a major aura at 2nd, 6th, 11th, and 17th levels. Major auras starting at +1, rising to +2 at 8th level, and +3 at 15th level.