PDA

View Full Version : A Power Metal Appreciation Thread!

Smeik
2007-11-17, 03:31 PM
As I couldn't find a special Thread dedicated to this quite amazing subgenre of Music (at least not on the last four pages) I decided to start my own.

Who, apart from me, does like Power Metal?

What Bands would you recommend?

Here are some of my favourites:

Edguy (http://www.myspace.com/edguy)
Hammerfall (http://www.myspace.com/hammerfall)
Elvenking (http://www.myspace.com/elvenking)
Sonata Arctica (http://www.myspace.com/sonataarctica)
Avantasia (http://myspace.com/tobiassammet)

Yes, I deliberately did not include Blind Guardian, Iced Earth and Dragonforce into this list because, although I consider them to be quite good, are too popular to recieve a special mention when there are other Bands that deserve to also be in the limelight. :smallwink:

In this sense,
Some not-so-well-known tipps:

Sabaton (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=22725829)
Van Canto (http://www.myspace.com/vancanto)
Powerwolf (http://www.myspace.com/powerwolfmetal)

zeratul
2007-11-17, 03:35 PM
I'm a fan of power metal. Mainly Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, and Dio. It's good stuff.

I love the vocals especially (particularly those of Hansi Kürsch, and Joacim Cans).

Hannes
2007-11-17, 03:35 PM
But then again, BG and IE are both VERY non-generic power metal. In fact, they're just speed(BG) or thrash(IE) metal with fantasy lyrics.

Smeik
2007-11-17, 03:45 PM
But then again, BG and IE are both VERY non-generic power metal. In fact, they're just speed(BG) or thrash(IE) metal with fantasy lyrics.

But so many people name them as being prime examples of Power Metal that it gets annoying with the Time.

One of the band I included, thinking about it, isn't that typical Power Metal as well, Elvenking. But well, they are stll good.

I nearly forgot to mention, the roots of pOwer Metal (in my eyes)

Helloween (http://www.myspace.com/helloween), Gamma Ray (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=39214990)(both are bands of Kai Hansen) and Rhapsody of Fire (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=27476172) (though they were much better when they were only Rhapsody smallwink:)

Jannex
2007-11-17, 03:45 PM
I do have a rather intense affection for Hammerfall and Blind Guardian, and a strong appreciation for Iced Earth and DragonForce as well. Thanks to Pandora Internet Radio, I'm also developing a fondness for Dream Evil, and a few others. *plays Hammerfall station in order to be reminded of some of these others*

Hannes
2007-11-17, 03:48 PM
Too bad I can't give my two cents here, because we don't get enough CD's :smallannoyed:

It's weird... We get all the ghetto shiz about the same time everyone else does, and metal CD's a year later, if lucky. The other option is not at all.

Winterwind
2007-11-17, 03:56 PM
Well, I understand your reasons for not including Blind Guardian and Iced Earth... but that doesn't mean I'm willing to let this heresy go unpunished! :smallamused:

Anyway, Blind Guardian is one of my most favourite bands. Iced Earth less so, but they are fine. And let's not forget the collaborative project of the two (well, two members of them), Demons & Wizards, which is awesome as well.

Also, Halloween and Gamma Ray. :smallcool:

But then again, BG and IE are both VERY non-generic power metal. In fact, they're just speed(BG) or thrash(IE) metal with fantasy lyrics.Referring to Blind Guardian, this is only true for their earlier albums. How is Nightfall in Middle-Earth or the newer ones speed metal?

Morty
2007-11-17, 03:57 PM
I like Blind Guardian, HammerFall and I quite enjoy Dragonforce, even though I try not to focus on lyrics in the latter case:smallwink: My favorite Blind Guardian songs are probably Nightfall and When Sorrow Sang, and Hammerfall- Fury of the Wild and Threshold.

Hannes
2007-11-17, 03:59 PM
Referring to Blind Guardian, this is only true for their earlier albums. How is Nightfall in Middle-Earth or the newer ones speed metal?

They aren't, it's just that I don't have Nightfall and don't listen to ANATO and ATITM as much as the older stuff, so I keep forgetting them.

Winterwind
2007-11-17, 04:09 PM
...and I quite enjoy Dragonforce, even though I try not to focus on lyrics in the latter case:smallwink:Good idea. :smallbiggrin:

My favorite Blind Guardian songs are probably Nightfall and When Sorrow Sang, ...Nightfall's my favourite, too. It was the first song of them I ever heard, and it was basically the song which hooked me into metal in the first place.

It was quite funny, too, because I was listening to the song, admiring it, but without knowing what it was about (and wondering about it all the time, since it seemed somehow familiar).
Then came the line with "Valar he is, that's what you said....", and I was all like: :eek:
Re-listened to it instantly for, I believe, a dozen of times or so. :smallbiggrin:

They aren't, it's just that I don't have Nightfall and don't listen to ANATO and ATITM as much as the older stuff, so I keep forgetting them.Ah, I see, that's a fair reason.
...wait, you what?! Get out and get it, then, right now! :smalltongue: :smallwink: :smallbiggrin:
As for ANATO and ATITM, while I still like ANATO, I consider it to be far weaker than the other BG albums (with the exception of And Then There Was Silence, which is a masterpiece), whereas ATITM is quite on par with Nightfall and Imaginations (my two favourite BG albums), although it took me quite a few times listening to it to arrive at this conclusion.
Generally, I found that the last two BG albums I did not like when I heard them the first time, but found them quite excellent after the third one or so.

Morty
2007-11-17, 04:18 PM
Nightfall's my favourite, too. It was the first song of them I ever heard, and it was basically the song which hooked me into metal in the first place.

It was quite funny, too, because I was listening to the song, admiring it, but without knowing what it was about (and wondering about it all the time, since it seemed somehow familiar).
Then came the line with "Valar he is, that's what you said....", and I was all like: :eek:
Re-listened to it instantly for, I believe, a dozen of times or so. :smallbiggrin:

I actually find figuring out what parts of Silmarillion are the lyrics from The Nightfall in Middle-Earth about quite fun. Even though I only managed it with few of them.

Hannes
2007-11-17, 04:20 PM
Well, as I said, we don't have it. ANYWHERE. But yeah. ATITM is strange.
It has this different feel to it. While it doesn't have the energy of, say, TFTTW or SFB, it creates this sonic atmosphere in my room. Seriously. It changes the whole feel of the room.

Wait... IT'S A CONSPIRACY! THEY'RE PLAYING WITH OUR MINDS! SUBCONSCIOUS MESSAGES!

Winterwind
2007-11-17, 04:23 PM
I actually find figuring out what parts of Silmarillion are the lyrics from The Nightfall in Middle-Earth about quite fun. Even though I only managed it with few of them.Do Nightfall In Middle-Earth albums outside of Germany also come with these short stories at the back of the booklet? 'Cause here, there is a whole bunch of short stories in it, written by Hansi from the perspective of Maglor, the poet and only surviving son of Feanor, gone insane by all the events of the Silmarillion in this version... a very interesting interpretation of the Silmarillion, portraying quite a few characters in a very different light than Tolkien himself.

Though the prose is a bit over the top. :smallbiggrin:

It has this different feel to it. While it doesn't have the energy of, say, TFTTW or SFB, it creates this sonic atmosphere in my room. Seriously. It changes the whole feel of the room.I know what you mean. Still, Otherland and Turn the Wheel are two of the best songs Blind Guardian's ever made, in my humble opinion.

Wait... IT'S A CONSPIRACY! THEY'RE PLAYING WITH OUR MINDS! SUBCONSCIOUS MESSAGES!Why, yes. Soon, young drone, you will be one of us.

Smeik
2007-11-17, 04:25 PM
It has this different feel to it. While it doesn't have the energy of, say, TFTTW or SFB, it creates this sonic atmosphere in my room. Seriously. It changes the whole feel of the room.

Wait... IT'S A CONSPIRACY! THEY'RE PLAYING WITH OUR MINDS! SUBCONSCIOUS MESSAGES!

Nah, they would never do anything like that, would they? :smalleek:

I mean, they are so nice, and friendly, and only want to play good metal...

Winterwind
2007-11-17, 04:29 PM
Were any of you at the Blind Guardian Open Air Festival in Coburg, when was it, two or three years ago?

I may never again witness such magnificence... but at least, when I die, I will know my life had a reason... :smalleek:

Hannes
2007-11-17, 04:30 PM
I know what you mean. Still, Otherland and Turn the Wheel are two of the best songs Blind Guardian's ever made, in my humble opinion.

Well. Wow. Those are the only songs I dislike from ATITM. Strange, eh? My faves are Lionheart and The New order. Carry The Blessed Home for sad moods.

Why, yes. Soon, young drone, you will be one of us.

:smallbiggrin: That made me laugh!

And no, I've never been to a BG concert. It makes me sad. The reason? I don't have enough funds to travel to any of their shows, and they probably'll never do one in Estonia.

EntilZha
2007-11-17, 04:55 PM
Virgin Steele
Manowar
Gamma Ray
Hammerfall
Domine

commander43
2007-11-17, 06:27 PM
I'm not really an expert on this genre, as the only true Power Metal band I've heard is Dragonforce, but, at least in that case, I don't like what I hear at all.

They're good technical players and all, but they have no songwriting ability whatsoever. I should probably listen to something more off the beaten path, and see if I like it.

Winterwind
2007-11-17, 11:55 PM
(sorry for answering only now, the BroodWar session got into the way)

Well. Wow. Those are the only songs I dislike from ATITM. Strange, eh?Heh, wow. I have a friend, with whom I always agree upon which albums are good and which are bad (regardless of band), but just as always disagree upon which songs from an album are good and which are bad - ATITM was the first and only occasion where we agreed. So, hey, you managed to top that friend of mine in deviating from my opinion, and that's quite an accomplishment. :smallbiggrin:

My faves are Lionheart and The New order. Carry The Blessed Home for sad moods.The New Order would be Number 3 from that album for me. No idea how the ranking goes from there.

:smallbiggrin: That made me laugh!You think that was a joke?

Well, you are right!

And no, I've never been to a BG concert. It makes me sad. The reason? I don't have enough funds to travel to any of their shows, and they probably'll never do one in Estonia.Aww, too bad. :smallfrown:

Virgin SteeleMy, how could I forget Virgin Steele? They are great!

I'm not really an expert on this genre, as the only true Power Metal band I've heard is Dragonforce, but, at least in that case, I don't like what I hear at all.

They're good technical players and all, but they have no songwriting ability whatsoever. I should probably listen to something more off the beaten path, and see if I like it.Well, personally, I think Dragonforce are okay at best. Compared to such as Blind Guardian, their songs feel horribly...
...bland? I'm not entirely sure whether that's the word I seek, but I can't think of a better one.

zeratul
2007-11-18, 12:01 AM
Oh man, I'm really lucky. My dad became a Blind Guardian fan to recently, and says that next time they come to the US if they do one close enough we can go to one of their concerts :smallbiggrin: .

Smeik
2007-11-18, 04:51 AM
Virgin Steele
Manowar
Gamma Ray
Hammerfall
Domine

Yes, I give you Domine, But how can you mention Virgin Steele and Manowar in a Power Metal Thread. They are not. They are far out the Realms of Power Metal. They are True Metal, which is a totally different subgenre and would need its own Appreciation Thread. :smallwink:

only joking...

Attilargh
2007-11-18, 01:15 PM
And no, I've never been to a BG concert. It makes me sad. The reason? I don't have enough funds to travel to any of their shows, and they probably'll never do one in Estonia.
They were in Helsinki last summer, just over the Gulf. In other words; Nyah! :smalltongue: (Just kidding. 'Tis a horrible thing to not see such a good band live.)

As an amusing anecdote, the Finnish power metal band Teräsbetoni (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ter%C3%A4sbetoni) will soon be competing for a spot as Finland's representative in the next Eurovision song contest. I just love my country. :smallbiggrin: (The band's not bad, either. Their live concert last summer might well have been the best gig I've ever seen.)

Hannes
2007-11-18, 01:21 PM
Attilargh - while it is just over the gulf, yes, it still costs money. I don't have even 1000 kroons to take from anywhere. (62.5 EUR).

Smeik
2007-11-18, 04:29 PM
They were in Helsinki last summer, just over the Gulf. In other words; Nyah! :smalltongue: (Just kidding. 'Tis a horrible thing to not see such a good band live.)

As an amusing anecdote, the Finnish power metal band Teräsbetoni (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ter%C3%A4sbetoni) will soon be competing for a spot as Finland's representative in the next Eurovision song contest. I just love my country. :smallbiggrin: (The band's not bad, either. Their live concert last summer might well have been the best gig I've ever seen.)

They sound... interesting, but yet somehow funny and good. Could be because I have a knack on the finnish language, though I don't understand a single word.

Vael Nir
2007-11-18, 05:22 PM
I saw Blind Guardian here in Vienna last october... it was awesome, even though most of them were sick. :/

Seeing Sonata Arctica on wednesday, can't wait :-)

Smeik
2007-11-18, 05:33 PM
On a different note:

I joust saw the video to Edguy-Superheroes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-hG4l2gs-A) for the first time. And i found it hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

Burgo McSock
2007-11-19, 06:37 AM
OMG I can't believe none of you have mentioned Kamelot (http://www.last.fm/music/Kamelot) yet, although their newer stuff isn't really power metal their old stuff definitely is!

Also I highly recommend Sonata Arctica, Epica, HammerFall, Lost Horizon and Symphony X.

Some of these bands tend towards progressive and other styles of metal as well

EntilZha
2007-11-20, 09:26 PM
It's my experience that metal genre labels are often arbitrary and subjective.

Smeik
2007-11-21, 01:36 PM
It's my experience that metal genre labels are often arbitrary and subjective.

While this may be and certainly even is that way(sometimes), you still can make an appreciation thread for one of these genres, if you invite everything that someone considers Power Metal into it and have a big Party. :smallbiggrin:

I also know Kamelot, just forgot to mention them as I only have one album. BUt yeah, they are also pretty good, especially if you are into "classical" music too.

Moff Chumley
2007-11-23, 12:46 PM
Don't know alot of power metal, exept for DragonForce, and they do absolutely nothing for me. Prog Metal, on the other hand-I can live with that. Yay Dream Theater.

Dea_al_Mon
2007-11-29, 04:45 PM
My heart just about jumped out of my chest when i saw this thread. HUZZAH for power metal!

I really love the Edguy and the Sonata Arctica. If I go through my top 25, it's mostly those guys, plus Kamelot and Dragonforce. The thing about Dragonforce, though, is that all of their songs are...the same. "Wooo! Through those flames! My steel shines bright! We ride together! Stand your ground!" I mean, 20-something songs and almost ALL of them are about the same stuff. But DAAAANG does ZP Theart have a nice voice...drool. Dragonland has some good stuff, too, but they also have some really terrible stuff.

In terms of BG, I really enjoy "A Twist in the Myth", but their other stuff doesn't do a lot for me.

Is anyone else going to see SA in concert? February 11!! **** yes!

It's so frustrating how little power metal there is in any music stores... I asked HMV if they had the new Avantasia EP and they were all "who?" WAAAAH!!!

FinalJustice
2007-11-29, 05:14 PM
There are 3 bands of Power Metal in my top five:
Angra
Edguy
Sonata Arctica

Luv all of them. Avantasia should also be mentioned. Excelent material, the new EPs rock a lot!. Helloween Keepers, both, also deserve it. =D

I, personally, don't like BG, it's okay for me, no more. But Dragonforce and Rhapsody activelly annoy me. ^^'

I really recommend Angra (it's my favorite band so I'm suspicious to talk). Mainly the first 3 CDs, with the original formation. Angel's Cry and Fireworks are awesome power metal, and Holy Land is even awesomer power metal with lots of brazillian traditional music mixed into it, beautiful. ;)

Dea_al_Mon
2007-11-29, 05:32 PM
Heh. Oh, Rhapsody....what will we do with you? They put out some stuff that is SO catchy, but I have to admit that I lost most of my respect for them when they threw out "Forest of Unicorns". That song was SO BAD :P

Skillness622
2007-11-30, 12:22 PM
I am also a fan of Power Metaaaaaaaall. I agree with most of the previous poster's choices of bands, but I have to say I dont really rate Dragonforce any more, since I discovered bands that may well be not as technical, but have a damn sight more songwriting ability, like Edguy and Sonata Arctica.

I saw Edguy and Dragonforce at the Astoria last year, and while Dragonforce were technically astounding, all the show was really them showing off, while Edguy really got into the audience, and quite frankly was the better of the two.

Also, any love for Symphony X?

Adumbration
2007-11-30, 12:37 PM
So I'm not the only fan of Sonata Arctica. :smallbiggrin:

My favorite bands are:
Sonata Arctica
Nightwish
Sentenced

Oh, and I highly recommend checking out Northern Kings (http://www.myspace.com/northernkings): a league of four metal singers (Tony Kakko, Marco Hietala, J Ahola and JP Leppäluoto. They sing metal versions of 80's classics. You have no idea what Brothers in Arms or I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight sounds like when they sing them.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-30, 01:01 PM
Although I suppose, technically they are Death Metal..

I like Dethklok. Flame away!

AslanCross
2007-11-30, 07:14 PM
Avantasia is what got me into Power Metal. I still use the song Avantasia as a listening exercise for my first year English class.

Dea_al_Mon
2007-12-01, 06:33 PM
OMG. I discovered yesterday that Nightwish is touring! They are playing in May and I will most definately be there. This is a good year for metal-lovers everywhere...Edguy, Sonata Arctica, Iron Maiden, Nightwish...

is there anyone other than me who wouldspend their life's savings to see Avantasia perform live as an opera?

skyclad
2007-12-01, 08:00 PM
Although I suppose, technically they are Death Metal..

I like Dethklok. Flame away!

Dethklok pwns but are not power metal ;)

My favourite band of all time is Blind Guardian and my favourite album of all time is Nightfall in middle earth.

The field is lost
Everything is lost
The black one has fallen from the sky and the towers in ruins lie
The enemy is within, everywhere
And with him the light, soon they will be here
Go now, my lord, while there is time
There are places below

And you know them too
I release thee, go
My servant you'll be for all time

As you command
My king

I had a part in everything
Twice I destroyed the light and twice I failed
I left ruin behind me when I returned
But I also carried ruin with me
She, the mistress of her own lust

Give it to me...

Hannes
2007-12-01, 08:07 PM
Ohhh... How I need it, how I need it, HOW I NEED IT!
I gotta run, I gotta hide the Silmarils!
Chests of treelight, their life belongs to me!
-sings-

Attilargh
2007-12-02, 10:00 AM
It's "Where can I run/ how can I hide/ the Silmarils/ gems of tree-light/ their life belongs to me".

Ohh, it's sweet how the darkness is floating aroooound...

OMG. I discovered yesterday that Nightwish is touring! They are playing in May and I will most definately be there.
What's better, they'll be touring with Indica, the Finnish fantasy-pop girl band. And I'll be seeing them 11th of this month. Or did I mention that already? :smallcool: Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!

Smeik
2007-12-02, 01:22 PM
Avantasia is what got me into Power Metal. I still use the song Avantasia as a listening exercise for my first year English class.

YOU DO WHAT??

I'd love to have a teacher like you.:smallbiggrin:

The only live performance ever that is announced so far for Avantasia as live Opera is at Wacken Open Air 2008. Together with the last concert of Iron Maiden. And Sonata Arctica and Sabaton are also there.
I need money.

And "Nightfall in Middle Earth" is arguably the best BG Album ever.

Although "A Twist in the Myth" and "The forgotten Tales" are also good.:smallwink:

Listen to Falconer (http://www.myspace.com/falconermusic), they deserve it.

Smeik

Adumbration
2007-12-02, 01:33 PM
Another song about Sauron, or at least so I like to think. Cookies for everyone who knows it's maker and name! :smallbiggrin:

Grant me a wish, my master
Take heed of me
I have been loyal servant
Heartfelt, humble

Gave up - what belongs to me
Gave up my greed
My self-examination
Made me see, to be me

I am now like Judas, done
Ashamed of what I've become
Fear for life I wear as a ring
To bask in your favor, I will kill the king

You say I am unbreakable
I cannot die,
I know, but anyway
The words, they maim me

Grant me a wish, my master
Compassion, please
I'd like be a human
...maybe one day

Narmoth
2007-12-03, 01:00 PM
Well, here's my long long list of metal.
Some of it is clearly what most people call "power metal" a term first used by Pantera to describe their thrash metal music.
So, I preffer speed metal. :smallwink:

Blind Guardian
Dreamtone you should hear their music (http://www.myspace.com/dreamtone)
Iced Earth (Burnt Offerings, Horror Show, Dark Sage are my favorites in that order)
Angra (really technical stuff from Brazil)
Demons & Wizards
Hammerfall
Elvenking
Rhapsody (but I hate that they steal classical music and play it as parts of the songs in stead of composing classical music on their own)
Excelsis (really, really good compositions form not the most technical power metal band, hear them here (http://www.myspace.com/excelsispowermetal))
Sonata Arctica (first album is definetly the best)
Grave Digger (basically powermetal, but they have a more trash / death - vocal)
Symphony X
Galloglass (they had an awesome demo, and their first album was also kind of cool)
Gamma Ray (do I have to say more)
Black Atom (something I was recomended on this board, hear them here (http://www.myspace.com/blackatom))
Pyramaze (and looking forward to hear them with Matt Barlow, ex Iced Earth)
Black Majesty
Freedom Call (didn't like their last album though) when you need the extra cheese ::smalltongue: but I like them)

Heh. Oh, Rhapsody....what will we do with you? They put out some stuff that is SO catchy, but I have to admit that I lost most of my respect for them when they threw out "Forest of Unicorns". That song was SO BAD :P

I actually liket that song. At least compared to Dragonland‘s Rivers from the The Dark Secret - album

Lord of the Helms
2007-12-05, 12:29 PM
Black Atom (something I was recomended on this board, hear them here (http://www.myspace.com/blackatom))

Haha, Joe would get somewhat annoyed if he learned that the band he fronts gets pinned down as power metal, he really can't stand most of that stuff (especially the really cheesy stuff about unicorns, swords and metal, and anything heavy on keyboards a la Powerquest) :smalltongue:

I'm a huge fan of this type of music for years. Started out with Hammerfall and Sonata Arctica and quickly went on to bands like Blind Guardian (especially their 90s albums), Gamma Ray (especially all that has Kai Hansen on vocals), Helloween (first three albums and mid to late 90s. The early 90s albums are unbelievably bad :smalleek: ), Nocturnal Rites, Virgin Steele (my personal favorite, especially the last six albums. Now this is a good example of a band including classical/romantic elements in their music), Rage, X-Japan, Pharaoh (see my sig, brilliant stuff), Iron Savior, Crimson Glory, Custard, blablabla etc. pp. Love most of it, though I can't stand Rhapsody and Dragonforce gets too samey after a while for my taste.

Narmoth
2007-12-06, 11:08 AM
Well, I think they are more power metal than NWOBHM - like, so I'll continiue to call Black Atom power metal.
Then again, he doesn't need to be annoyed. First of all, I actually bought their record.
Second, it's not like I compare them to Edguy, Gaia Epicus or something :smallbiggrin:

Dea_al_Mon
2007-12-06, 12:27 PM
I've just been thinking: If nerdy gamers like us enjoy metal, does this mean that at heart metal bands are really nerdy gamers? Can't you guys just see it? Instead of going out and party after a good show or something, Tobias Sammet calls up Tony Kakko and the conversation goes like this:

Sammet: "Hey, so, Wacken 2008. Wasn't it awesome?"
Kakko: "Hells yes. What an awesome crowd."
Sammet: "So what are you guys up to tonight?"
Kakko: "Oh...umm...well, actually we just about to break out some Risk..." *cough*
Sammet: "Nice! We were gonna play some Catan or Munchkins... You guys want to get together?"
Kakko: "That would be awesome! I'll call them right now! We'll cover the pizza if you guys cover the beer!"

I mean, seriously. It is so out of character for these guys because they are SO EPIC, but it almost disturbs me that I can definately see it happening...

Winterwind
2007-12-06, 12:34 PM
Well, I have witnessed some correlation between metal listeners and roleplayers so far. In fact, I know more people who are both than people who are only one of the two.

Narmoth
2007-12-06, 01:51 PM
I've just been thinking: If nerdy gamers like us enjoy metal, does this mean that at heart metal bands are really nerdy gamers?

The Blind Guardian guitarists play Baldurs Gate and Diablo, the guys in Hammerfall mostly play football and ice hochey on their spare time, Jon Shafer of Iced Earth runs a store selling war models...
The rest I'm not shure of.
And hansi reads almost nothing but fantasy books

Lyesmith
2007-12-06, 01:58 PM
...Awesome.

I'm a big Sonata fan myself, not treid anythign else metallic. any reccomendations? i loved Nightwish's "Amanranth" though.

Narmoth
2007-12-06, 02:06 PM
If you like a lot of synths in your metal, Stratovarius is a good choise. they have an amazing keyboard player.
Also, a lot of never metal bands from Finland plays something not very removed from Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica, even if they put something from different genres in their music, like Children of Bodoms growling vocals.
If you're more into guitars, Angra, Blind Guardian and Iced Earth (with Matt) is your thing.
For classical arangments and lots of instruments, try out Galloglass, Rhapsody of Fire and Elvenking

Lucia
2007-12-06, 02:26 PM
Don't know alot of power metal, exept for DragonForce, and they do absolutely nothing for me. Prog Metal, on the other hand-I can live with that. Yay Dream Theater.

Totally agreed! Little i know of power metal, in fact i have only listened to helloween, blind guardian and rhapsody, the latter during my first D&D epxerience, what an awsome convination!
Blind Guardian was coming to argentina two months ago, and their friggin´ plane got stucked at Brasil´s airport because of some fog :smallfurious:. They said they´ll reschedule.. i dont see that happening any time soon :smallfrown:

Anyway, its just like that down here, for instance i dont think we´ll ever get Opeth to come :smallannoyed: . Anyway, great thread! :smallsmile:

EDIT: Angra! How could i forget about them! That band brings memories

Smeik
2007-12-06, 02:35 PM
Totally agreed! Little i know of power metal, in fact i have only listened to helloween, blind guardian and rhapsody, the latter during my first D&D epxerience, what an awsome convination!
Blind Guardian was coming to argentina two months ago, and their friggin´ plane got stucked at Brasil´s airport because of some fog :smallfurious:. They said they´ll reschedule.. i dont see that happening any time soon :smallfrown:

Anyway, its just like that down here, for instance i dont think we´ll ever get Opeth to come :smallannoyed: . Anyway, great thread! :smallsmile:

Hey, someone who knows Opeth! ... And then from Argentina. What a strange combination. Anyway, if they ever come even to a land near you, you just HAVE to see them as they're live actually better than on CD (in my opinion).

Well, to get back to Power Metal.

I listened to the new Avanatasia-EP at a friends two day ago, It's pure epic. it is now one of my most important wishes for christmas, together with the Elvenking Album "The Scythe".

valadil
2007-12-06, 03:08 PM
The Blind Guardian guitarists play Baldurs Gate and Diablo, the guys in Hammerfall mostly play football and ice hochey on their spare time, Jon Shafer of Iced Earth runs a store selling war models...
The rest I'm not shure of.
And hansi reads almost nothing but fantasy books

I think Andre is the geekier of BG's members. So far as I know he's the only one to have ever tried D&D. He and Marcus are crazy addicted to WoW and each started up new characters for their last tour.

In case you can't tell, I really like Blind Guardian.

Y'all should also try Tuatha de Danaan. I'm not sure if they're strictly power metal, but I found them while searching for BG merchandise. They're from Brazil, but seem to think they're Irish. Most of their stuff is metal but they have a few very folksy tracks as well.

Adumbration
2007-12-06, 03:11 PM
You know... I've noticed at least some correlation. There's the Sonata Arctica's coming computer game, for example.

Winterwind
2007-12-06, 05:38 PM
I listened to the new Avanatasia-EP at a friends two day ago, It's pure epic. Avantasia is bringing out new albums? :smalleek:
And here I thought it was a one-shot project - tell their story in two albums and be done with it!
Cool. :smallsmile:

Narmoth
2007-12-08, 04:07 PM
Would Tyr fall under the category of power metal?
Their songs are very viking era focused, but their melodies are more power metal than black metal

Smeik
2007-12-09, 12:22 PM
Would Tyr fall under the category of power metal?
Their songs are very viking era focused, but their melodies are more power metal than black metal

Tyr (http://www.myspace.com/tyr1), the only thing ever to come from the Färöer Islands.:smallbiggrin:
I think you can't really classify them at all, they just don't fit in any genre completely.
Perhaps you could say they are like Folk/Power Metal.
Or they are Viking Metal, same as Turisas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIwBsL4KrFw&feature=related).
Who are in my opinion much better than Tyr, at least in terms of musical finesse. :smallwink:

On a different note, here is the Video to the new Avantasia Song: Lost in Space (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o26SlmROH5Q&feature=related)

Narmoth
2007-12-09, 03:57 PM
Turisas may be better on the accordion. But I preffer Tyrs use of lead guitar

Hades
2007-12-10, 03:44 AM
http://www.metal-archives.com/

Bands by Genre, Power: 3970 bands.

Awesome site, great for finding new types of metal. I must admit to being a huge fan of BG, especially NIME, saw them at basically a bar in Seattle, absolutely amazing.

Also, people should check out Luca Turilli's solo stuff for Rhapsody (of Fire) style power, but slightly less cheesy.

Týr is pretty solidly viking/folk metal, especially the early stuff. Though the newest album might be going in a slightly more power direction, I still think they are way too slow for power, and generally have a much more "crunchy" feel than most power does.

Winterwind
2007-12-10, 03:48 AM
Also, people should check out Luca Turilli's solo stuff for Rhapsody (of Fire) style power, but slightly less cheesy. Very, very slightly. :smallbiggrin:

I mean, I do think his music sounds pretty well... but it still contains more cheese than whole Switzerland. :smallwink:

AslanCross
2007-12-10, 03:54 AM
Rhapsody (but I hate that they steal classical music and play it as parts of the songs in stead of composing classical music on their own)

Oh, really? That's sad; I love Rhapsody's songs that have classical in them. Any idea where I can find out which pieces they err, stole from? Where did they get the intro to Dark Tower of the Abyss, for example. (I absolutely love the classical intro.)

Hades
2007-12-10, 03:59 AM
Very, very slightly. :smallbiggrin:

Heheh, this is true, though I do find the vocals significantly less cringe-worthy. However, Rhapsody (of Fire) pretty much redeem themselves by having Christopher Lee sing on The Magic of the Wizard's Dream (I think that's the song).

Winterwind
2007-12-10, 04:36 AM
Oh, really? That's sad; I love Rhapsody's songs that have classical in them. Any idea where I can find out which pieces they err, stole from? Where did they get the intro to Dark Tower of the Abyss, for example. (I absolutely love the classical intro.)Hmm... I don't know where this is from; what I noticed myself (and knowing the original, it is impossible to miss, since it is not even inspired but straightly ripped off) is that The Wizard's Last Rhymes is taken straight from Antonin Dvořák's New World Symphony.

It could be worse; ripping off an awesome piece tends to lead to awesome results (besides, it's not like Blind Guardian have not ripped off the very same piece with By The Gates Of Moria).

Heheh, this is true, though I do find the vocals significantly less cringe-worthy. However, Rhapsody (of Fire) pretty much redeem themselves by having Christopher Lee sing on The Magic of the Wizard's Dream (I think that's the song).Really? This was the album where they lost me. This whole stuff with books written with the blood of angels got too cheesy for me to look past. :smallbiggrin:
As for Christopher Lee, yes, he is awesome - but he obviously did not even care enough to correct them on the grammatical mistakes in the lines he had to sing himself, which is kinda... sad.

Narmoth
2007-12-10, 08:37 AM
Really? This was the album where they lost me. This whole stuff with books written with the blood of angels got too cheesy for me to look past. :smallbiggrin:
As for Christopher Lee, yes, he is awesome - but he obviously did not even care enough to correct them on the grammatical mistakes in the lines he had to sing himself, which is kinda... sad.

Then again, he has worked long with Manowar, so I guess he is used to things being subpar.

When it comes to Luca Turilly, the Prophet Of The Last Eclipse album is actually the best, even if it's the absolutely most cheesy one.

When it comes to classical stuff, they copy directly. Mostly Mozart, Vivaldi and some russian composers. The Syphony of A New World or whatever it's called is actually credited the composer, as they had to pay to use it (composed after 1900 :smallamused: ).
I rather prefer elvenking that compose their own classical stuff

Winterwind
2007-12-10, 10:54 AM
Then again, he has worked long with Manowar, so I guess he is used to things being subpar.Well, since I know that he was the voice actor for King Haggard in the German dub of the Last Unicorn, I consider him to be officially absolutely awesome, but yeah... with regarding to working with (metal) bands, his standards seem to be a bit... low. :smallwink:

When it comes to Luca Turilly, the Prophet Of The Last Eclipse album is actually the best, even if it's the absolutely most cheesy one.I agree.

When it comes to classical stuff, they copy directly. Mostly Mozart, Vivaldi and some russian composers. The Syphony of A New World or whatever it's called is actually credited the composer, as they had to pay to use it (composed after 1900 :smallamused: ).Hmmm... Wikipedia claims otherwise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._9_%28Dvo%C5%99%C3%A1k%29), and the booklet of my Dvořák CD agrees with it - it's from 1893.

I rather prefer elvenking that compose their own classical stuffHmm, interesting; I'm not familiar with them, will make sure to check them out. :smallsmile:

Hades
2007-12-10, 12:23 PM

This is very true, but he still sounds awesome. I found that his voice actually fit the style much better than when he did Toreador with Inner Terrestrials, which really just didn't work.

Leon
2007-12-11, 05:35 AM
Im a big fan of Stratovarius in addition to those mentioned already

zeratul
2007-12-11, 09:10 PM
Now bear in mind I love hammerfall, but does anyone else find their song "Always Will Be" incredibly cheesy?

Hades
2007-12-11, 09:52 PM
Now bear in mind I love hammerfall, but does anyone else find their song "Always Will Be" incredibly cheesy?

Hah, this is true, but any group that can make a music video with their Olympic women's curling team, who then go on to win the gold, is pretty much fantastic.

zeratul
2007-12-11, 11:07 PM
Hah, this is true, but any group that can make a music video with their Olympic women's curling team, who then go on to win the gold, is pretty much fantastic.

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. I need to watch some curling one of these days.....

Hades
2007-12-11, 11:12 PM
My roommate and I actually watched the Olympics, in particular the curling, that year. It was pretty fun, and I of course attributed the Swedish women's win to Hammerfall.

Tengu
2007-12-12, 03:49 AM

Yup. I generally dislike their songs that are more emo (and curiously, most of those are about love) - from the top of my head, Always Will Be and Fallen One. What's bad is that my mother likes them (you heard that correctly, I have a power metal mom. Among other genres she likes).

Smeik
2007-12-13, 01:35 PM

Yes, it is. But so are at least 1 Song on each of their albums. It's a principle. something just has to be overtly cheesy.

So, me and my friend were discussing if Queensryche is Power Metal or not, with me saying it's not. What do you think? Some Material to judge from

"Empire" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnHthL4YyuI&feature=related)
"Revolution Calling" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZWUw16qDm4)

Hades
2007-12-13, 02:16 PM
They seem more like progressive metal, or just straight-up heavy metal to me, but hey, subgenre definitions=nebulous.

Winterwind
2007-12-13, 02:39 PM
Phew, difficult to say...

I think they are a bit slow as power metal bands go, and they don't use as many choirs, either, but I can't help but keep thinking of power metal when I listen to them - mainly because, for some reason, I feel really, really reminded of Halloween.

Narmoth
2007-12-14, 03:34 AM
Queensryche are prog. Dream Theatre are inspired by them.
And they were inspired by Pink Floyd and such bands in addition to heavy metal bands.
Then again, newer power metal band are often inspired by progbands.
And prog metal has become much more about changes of rhythm now than prog rock is. Old progressive metal is more about the compostion, just like Pink Floyd than how many different beats you can play in one minute

Dea_al_Mon
2007-12-16, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't really credit Queensryche to power metal...but at the same time they have some power components...they are kinda on the fence.

Ah, good old Hammerfall...I have to admit, "Always Will Be" is one of their cheesiest songs to date. I think it might be the background of "la, la, la" or "na, na, na" or whatever the hell it is that they sing in a most unmetal-like manner.

What does everyone think about Sonata Arctica's "new" album? They really seem to have changed up their style with Unia, and while some songs are full of awesome, there are a couple that just make me shake my head in a "what were you THINKING??" sort of way. "Drop of Fuel for a Nightmare", for example.

zeratul
2007-12-17, 09:34 PM
Oh and another question. Am I the only person who loves Anette Olzon of Nightwish, and thinks Tarja sounds really really goofy? I Actually like the songs Tarja sang a lot better when Anette sings them.

Winterwind
2007-12-18, 03:33 AM
I like them both. Haven't come around to listening to one of the older Nightwish songs sung by Anette yet though.

Narmoth
2007-12-18, 09:32 AM
What does everyone think about Sonata Arctica's "new" album? They really seem to have changed up their style with Unia, and while some songs are full of awesome, there are a couple that just make me shake my head in a "what were you THINKING??" sort of way. "Drop of Fuel for a Nightmare", for example.

I preffered their first. The 2nd and thrid were ok, but not really the same. Then it got only worse. The instruments sound better on the last, but the songs themselves are not nearly as good as the 1st album

Smeik
2007-12-19, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't really credit Queensryche to power metal...but at the same time they have some power components...they are kinda on the fence.
Yeah, that's the conclusion we came, too. Although "Operation:MIndcrime" still is one of the best metal albums ever.

Hm, I like the album as a same actually nearly as much as their earlier stuff. The first listenig was basically a "hey, they've changed. Is that good?" before I came to the conclusion "Yes it is" after the second hear-through.
And I like Drop of Fuel for a Nightmare, the only song that really makes me shiver is the last, "Good enough is good enough for me". That's even for me too much... emotion without drums?
Of course, you can say "that's not the Sonata Arctica i knew before", but then you would dismiss, that they still have kept many of their musical elements that make them awesome, ersaing some others, adding new ones... They are awesome in a different way now, but nonetheless awesome. :smallwink:

Oh, and I prefer "Winterheart's Guild", if I have to choose my favourite from their earlier albums.

on a different note, has anyone apart from me heard of Sturm&Drang (http://www.myspace.com/sturmis)? It seems, that now even metal got its own teenie-group. And of course, they are from Finland. I'm not yet sure what to think of them. They seem to get a bit too much attention, actually...

Narmoth
2007-12-20, 10:21 AM
Listened to early Helloween. Damn fun, damn good songs.
Dn't like what they wrote without Kai Hansen though

Smeik
2007-12-30, 04:57 AM
*ressurects Thread*

Actually, I only wanted to brag about my christmas present.
I'm going to see Axxis, Helloween and Gamma Ray.

On a different note, my girlfriend has given me the newest album of Axxis and it can easily be placed among the best albums this year, albeit being cheesy as hell in some songs.

greetings, smeik

Narmoth
2007-12-30, 05:43 AM
More progressive power metal bands for you to listen to:

Friar Rush
Black Majesty
Souljourners
Dreamtone

(they all ahve myspace you can hear them on, but I don't have time to set up the links now)