PDA

View Full Version : Selberath I: Calling

Alicorn
2007-11-19, 04:13 PM
Onitka looks empty. More than thirty people - adults all, but of every description, as far as is possible to get much variety of inhabitants in a smallish town - have gone missing. As the vanishing residents left with whatever valuables they had access to - the banker with half the contents of the bank vault; the blacksmith with a cache of weapons, including his stocked inventory and some items commissioned individually; the miscellaneous peasantry with what little savings or family heirlooms they could collect - the disappearances had first been dismissed as a rash of bizarre thefts, albeit by upstanding citizens no one would have suspected of such behavior. As the disappearances mounted, however, it seemed clear that something more sinister was afoot - what, of course, no one knows.

Only one person has actually been seen leaving town. A group of young teenagers spotted one of the many miners wandering dazedly south, but of course instead of notifying some authority figure, they took off after him, leaving only one of their twelve-year-old sisters to watch them leave, wringing her hands; hours later, when they - and the man they followed - still had not returned, she ran to her parents and described the whole event. Her description, inconclusive though it is, is now common knowledge throughout Onitka.

People have taken to traveling in groups, locking their doors at night, hiding their possessions, but none of these measures have stopped the trickle of villagers disappearing, typically in the middle of the night unwitnessed by the night watch - itself minimally staffed, and admittedly ill-equipped to catch anyone and solve the mystery. Talk of evacuation has been bandied about but thus far gone nowhere; the villagers, fearful though they are, are loath to leave their homes and work.

For whatever reason, you're on Main Street when the mayor, flanked by several loudly and stridently concerned citizens, finally agrees that he will divert some of the public funds to hire a group of mercenaries or adventurers to go south, the only known direction of the wayward townsfolk, and investigate, even though it's clear the mayor believes it to be a fool's errand.

SandDemon
2007-11-19, 04:48 PM
Torak

"I've hunted worse...finding missing persons is easy enoughs." Turning to the forming crowd, Torak takes special note that the mayor seems not to care about thirty missing people...and as he surveys the area, he looks across the others that seem interested in this endeavor.

mdsoze
2007-11-19, 05:06 PM
Byron

He was walking along a side street, and just reached the main road when the Mayor appeared. Doubtless it was about the missing people. Thirty people, gone. There had been many prayers in the temple, many requests for guidance and for the safe return of the missing. Everyone in town knew of one of the missing.

Once the mayor had finished his piece, Byron looked about. It could be that he had just happend across the square on his way back from visiting an acquaintenance, or it could be providence.

A medium-height man steps forward, wearing vestments of a priest of Kord.

Very well. If it is time to seek out the missing, I offer to go.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-11-20, 11:51 AM
Circe

A raven-haired woman dressed in finery rivaling or surpassing the mayor's, stops at the commotion, pausing to listen to the debate. When the mayor agrees to spend money, she approaches closer and asks, "How much are you offering?" She strokes the feathers of a white-and-grey owl resting on one gloved wrist as she waits for a reply.

Alicorn
2007-11-20, 01:24 PM
"I, ah, suppose I could see my way to furnishing each person on the expedition... ah... four hundred gold pieces?" says the mayor, pulling slightly at his collar while shying away from the stares of the townsfolk. "Provided there aren't too many takers - is it just you three?" he asks hopefully of those who have spoken.

Tyriq
2007-11-20, 02:18 PM
Granny Godwin

An elderly woman hobbles forward, carrying a small basket of vegetables from the local market. Or maybe she was carrying them to the market... either way, the vegetables have clearly seen better days.

Granny tugs at the dark-haired woman's cloak. "Oh dear, you simply mustn't go prancing around in the night without a scarf and some mittens. You'll catch your death of cold! Or the ennui!" She looks at the others who have come forward. "I insist that you kind, young folk come with Granny for a proper hot meal before you go anywhere." She furrows her brow and peers into her basket, muttering. "I might need more turnips... and more parsnips... yes..."

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-11-20, 03:31 PM
Circe

The elegantly dressed woman looks down at the basket of vegetables. "I think I will decline your kind offer," she says, doing her best to be polite. "We appear to have different ideas of the meaning of proper."

SandDemon
2007-11-20, 04:31 PM
Torak

Looking at the old woman, and not wishing to incite obvious distaste, avoids the invitation and turns to the Mayor. "400 gold is fines, assuming it is your coin and not the coin of the peoples." He glares intimidatingly to the mayor, attempting to convict his soul if he has done wrong - his hand rests on his chest armor showing his deity.

Kai-Palin
2007-11-20, 04:44 PM
Zeke

A kind-sounding male voice speaks to Granny Godwin: Go with me on this, I will help these youngsters if you will. She notes that no one else seems to hear the voice speaking. Then a young woman, not strikingly beautiful but fairly exotic-looking, in a gown and with a comb in her hair, steps from around Granny and speaks to the three hirees. "Please, it would be our honor if you came to our house for dinner. I know these don't look particularly appetizing, but I can cook very well." pointing discretely at Granny better than she can, anyway Tugging at Byron's sleeve, she says, "We will wait for you to conclude you affairs." She backs up a few steps and looks pointedly at the mayor, waiting for him to conclude the deal.

(The hat of disguise makes funny situations, eh? It will work if the players don't fuss too much.)

Alicorn
2007-11-20, 04:57 PM
"Well - not that I have funds like that, my own pay is not so high - and the people do obviously want to spend the public gold on - I mean, it is a public problem," says the mayor awkwardly at Torak's words. "So - just you three - four hundred each - I guess that makes twelve hundred - you don't mind collecting when you get back, do you?" he adds shrewdly. "I'm sure you're all trustworthy, of course, but under the circumstances..."

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-11-20, 05:04 PM
Circe

Eying the younger peasant, Circe shrugs, still petting the owl's feathers. "We can, perhaps, discuss it after business is concluded." Turning her black eyes from the old woman and her friend or relative back to the mayor she replies with a counter-offer.
"A quarter now, the rest after. And we keep any spoils we find along the way."

Alicorn
2007-11-20, 05:23 PM
"Well - but the people who've been disappearing have been taking things with them; you can't have those things, they belong to the people they belong to. But any other spoils. And - a quarter," he says weakly, "I'm not sure I can pull that together on such short notice - I'm going to need to divert some budgets - fifty each to start?"

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-11-20, 05:42 PM
Circe

"Done. For my part at least. I shan't presume to speak for the others."

She turns her attention back to the strange women trying to press dinner on them. "So tell me, what possible reason could there be for me to spend the evening in your company?"

Kai-Palin
2007-11-20, 05:51 PM
Zeke
(Is it okay if my Psicrystal speaks telepathically for me? It'd really only be for flavor, until Zeke is able to do it himself. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work, as he can speak telepathically to the psicrystal and the psicrystal can speak telepathically to anyone within 100 feet.)
Because we can help you. Disregard my vocal speech, and please come with us. says the warm, light male voice. The young woman makes a slight gesture toward herself and Granny as Circe hears the voice, and says, "Because we can cook better than the innkeeper, madam, and we wish to help the town in any way we can. After all, if we are appointing heroes for us, it's best they not get food poisoning." She smiles, and turns to the other two.

Tyriq
2007-11-20, 05:53 PM
Granny Godwin

Although she long ago grew accustomed to hearing the thoughts of others, Granny is still a bit startled to have someone deliberately communicate to her in that way. Still...

"Dear, I'm sure that you and your new friends will want to make a plan, after all! And what better way than over a warm meal and some nice, nice tea?"

Alicorn
2007-11-20, 05:58 PM
((If your psicrystal is of a mind to relay messages for you in that manner it's fine with me.))

Kai-Palin
2007-11-20, 06:00 PM
((Well, it's personality is sympathetic, so I'd imagine it's pretty accomodating.)) This message will be deleted after meaningful things happen.

Also, I will be leaving town for Thanksgiving on Thursday, I will be returning on Monday, and posting will likely not occur from me. I'm sorry, and I may be able to post, but I do not know at the present time. I'll post a lot tomorrow, I guess.

mdsoze
2007-11-20, 11:28 PM
Byron

Byron looks over Circe, assessing their negotiator, coming to his own judgement about her.

I'm happy to accept whatever terms seem appropriate.

He turns to the elderly lady.

I would love to join you for an evening meal, but I am needed at the temple briefly. I have some duties to attend to, and I must collect some things and inform the head priest that I am about to journey for a time.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-11-21, 01:07 AM
Circe

The only reaction the raven-haired woman shows to the telepathic message is a slight narrowing of her eyes and a hitch in the rhythm of her petting of the bird on her arm. "You're under the mistaken assumption that I'd be staying at the inn. But very well, you've piqued my curiosity."

Alicorn
2007-11-21, 10:39 AM
The mayor nods at all the assembled. "Well, you can stop by city hall any time before you leave to pick up your gold, the three of you, and I'll make sure there's someone there to give it to you. Have a, er, lovely dinner." He practically scurries off, shedding peasant hangers-on as he goes.

Kai-Palin
2007-11-21, 01:41 PM
Zeke New color, the other one is too close to mdsoze's.

"Grammere, let me carry that." says the young woman, reaching for the basket. "Now lets go home, and we can wait for Byron there." ((I figure since Byron has been at the temple here for a while, and Zeke has been in town for a while, he should know his name by now. If not, substitute "the priest" for Byron))
Making an uncertain gesture, she says, "Lead the way, Grammere."

SandDemon
2007-11-21, 02:00 PM
Torak

Finding himself invited, despite his lack of suitable connection, he slowly nods and follows the others for dinner.

(ooc: I'll be out until friday, Happy Thanksgiving!:smallbiggrin: )

mdsoze
2007-11-21, 02:39 PM
Byron

(OOC: Byron has indeed been at this temple for a couple years now, so knowing his name is not unimaginable. If you are a believer in Kord, he would probably be formally addressed as "Brother Byron", but he would have answered to Byron without making comment.)

Byron stops by the Mayor's house, then heads back to the temple. He collects his belongings, leaves 10 gold as an offering to Kord, leaves word with the head of the temple that he is going to be leaving town. Then he makes his way towards Zeke's house, stopping off on the way to tell his siblings that he is leaving town as part of the group to find the missing.

Tyriq
2007-11-21, 03:41 PM
Granny Godwin

"Alright then, dears, follow me..." Granny leads the others through the streets to a small cottage on the outskirts of town. The garden in the back is reasonable well-kept, but overall the furnishings are humble.

The kitchen, however, is in disarray. The spice rack seems to contain several vials of a single spice (paprika, maybe?), and there seems to be an overall lack of cooking utensils, with the exception of seven mismatched decorative spatulas, which hang on the wall at various angles. There seem to be permanent scorch marks surrounding the oven, suggesting an explosion in the not-too-distant past. The air carries the tang of slightly stale cucumber, which is not altogether unpleasant.

A flicker of shame passes across Granny's face as she turns to the young, beautiful woman who offered to help. "Shall we get started then, dear?"

Kai-Palin
2007-11-21, 04:14 PM
Zeke

"But of course, Grammere." She then proceeds to set down the basket, and pulls an assortment of cooking utensils (knives and spoons mostly) out of a small purse that ought not be able to hold a knife so unmaidenly. She takes some of the vegetables out of the basket and sets them on the counter, where she washes them with a bit of water from the bucket and then murmurs a few words over them, watching in satisfaction as the bruises disappear and they don't look quite so withered. (Circe would probably notice that a Prestidigitation was cast.) She then chops them with the large knife and places them all in a pot, which she fills with water and hangs over the fire. "Grammere, where is the lard? We need just a small touch of it." When she recieves it, she adds it and some flour to the pot, creating a thick onion and pepper stew. She adds some paprika, and searches for other spices. Then she turns to the two guests, her flurry of activity over, and says, "Now, I believe that we were here to discuss aid in your venture?" She continues to slowly stir the soup with a large ladle.

((Technically, it's Granny's house, and while Zeke has given his name to people, no one would think that this is him.))

Alicorn
2007-11-23, 10:06 AM
((Thanksgiving's over. Bumpety bump bump.))

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-11-23, 10:31 AM
Circe

Doing her best to avoid any dirty surfaces, Circe watches the pair work. "Although your ability to enter my mind without my permission is intriguing, you don't appear terribly useful. Unless you've got heretofore unannounced and less obvious skills."

SandDemon
2007-11-24, 01:53 AM
Torak

Deciding it's best to wait for the cooking to finish, less get involved in something he knows little of, he decides to wait outside while viewing the horizon - not turning down the casual conversation from others if so joined.

mdsoze
2007-11-24, 07:21 PM
Byron

Byron arrives late, having attended to his business, but still before dinner is served.

As he approaches he sees one of the volunteers in front of the house. It's not Zeke, so it must be the other man.

Greetings. I know you volunteered this afternoon, said something about being a hunter. But for the life of me, I can't recall your name.

For my part, I'm Byron, priest in the service of Kord. Strength, exercise, battle, with a good dose of chaos and luck tossed in for good measure. Mix well, simmer over a fire for 20 minutes, and serve hot. Aids the spirit every time.

Kai-Palin
2007-11-24, 09:48 PM
Zeke
The girl says to Circe, "Actually, about that..." and then a field of intersecting lines of multiple colors briefly flashes over her to reveal that she is, in fact, a he.
Description
He is around 5'9-10" with extensive tatooing and dark hair. He has fairly light skin with crow's-wing black hair and dark eyes. He wears a costly but not gaudy outfit that fits a traveling scholar or well-to-do merchant: a dark brown pair of breeches, a short-sleeved tunic of dark green with silver embroidery, and a sleeveless overtunic of black and dark green with silver embroidery in fantastical "arabesque" patterns. He also has tattooing across his entire body, as though done in henna, but it is, in fact, permanent. A mandala on his forehead (see my avatar) connects its points to a pattern that mirrors his clothing's embroidery, and this tattoo, should anyone ever manage to see, goes across his entire body. "My name is Zeke, and I'm a psionic telepath. So you could say that I have less... obvious skills. I want to help you and these people, but not for money and certainly not for fame. If you would allow me to accompany your team, I would be most honored." He bows slightly. "And please, when Animus speaks my words to you, do not take it as an invasion. He can do no more than transmit to you, he cannot see anything that resides there."
_______________(Possible continuation of conversation)________
Taking the cauldron off the fire, he rummages around for bowls, and when he finds them, begins to ladle the soup into them. "Come everyone, supper is served!"

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-11-25, 12:04 AM
Circe

"Circe," the woman replies by way of introduction, "and Whisper," she adds, indicating the bird still resting on her arm. "And if you wish to come, it's your own skin, I suppose."

SandDemon
2007-11-25, 12:53 AM
Torak

Chuckling at the attempted joke, Torak returns the introduction. "Names Torak, follower of Trithereon and a champion of the black wind...." Looking for a reaction, he continues as if he did not care. "I'm more plain than sour, more mixed than shaken, and definitely overdone." He chuckles at his attempt at humor, while he continues looking over the horizon.

Tyriq
2007-11-25, 04:21 AM
Granny Godwin

Granny gasps in surprise as the young woman turns into Zeke. She seems momentarily afraid, but quickly composes herself. "Now see here, young man.... I've heard about people like you." A small, outstretched finger stabs the air in front of the telepath. "Boys who dress up like girls! Hrmph. I'll tell you one thing, nosy Mrs. Nobb down the lane saw a young woman enter this house as my guest tonight, and if she doesn't see a young woman come out again, there will be whispering for weeks!" She stops, clearly eager to say more, but not sure what else to say.

In that moment, the tea kettle begins to whistle. Granny instinctively pours the water into the a teapot and then sets it next to the soup to steep.

"Okay, dear, Mr. Fancybrains..." she begins, clearly recovered from her earlier shock, "Have you thought of a plan to find these poor, lost people?"

Kai-Palin
2007-11-25, 07:24 PM
Zeke

"Pleased to meet you, and you as well, Whisper." says Zeke, making another slight bow. Torak and Byron hear in their heads "Master says, 'Get in here, it's time to eat!'"
Hearing Granny, he grins and says "Oh don't fuss yourself. I'm not the only one who's more than I seem, thank you very much! Plans after food. We can always plan, we can't always eat."

SandDemon
2007-11-26, 01:06 AM
Torak

Turning aside to walk within, Torak humbly apologizes as he looks at the food being presented, "I do not eat that which I do not gather myself - no need anyways." He twiddles a magical ring for the view of others, hinting at the source of his nourishment.

mdsoze
2007-11-26, 11:33 AM
Byron

Byron walks in, smiling at all, and surveying the food.

Well, I certainly do eat. It's a pleasure to be invited for dinner. But before I eat, let me offer thanks.

Kord, who gives us all strength for our struggles, thank you for blessing us with the ability to provide for ourselves, and with the wisdom to choose our battles. And may I ask for Your Blessing as this group sets out to locate the missing from this village.

Byron will help Granny serve the meal as best he's able, and will wait until the ladies have seated themselves before taking a place at the table.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-11-26, 11:49 AM
Circe

The sorceress seats herself after a careful inspection of the chair's cleanliness (and a casting of Prestidigitation if necessary to clean it). She hardly touches the food beyond feeding some of the better-looking bits to her owl, eating only a token amount herself. "It would be logical to conclude that, if the missing are traveling south, a journey in the same direction is the best course. Perhaps camping several miles out of town and wait for someone to pass then follow them, if no obvious signs of their passage can be found."

Alicorn
2007-11-28, 05:58 PM
((You all have 24 hours in real time to choose and enact a plan going forward or I will presume a course of action on your behalf and put you someplace in which you may continue with said course.))

Kai-Palin
2007-11-28, 06:22 PM
Zeke

"That sounds like a good plan. If and when we find the next townsperson, I can also attempt to get a lock on their thoughts, and we can see if we can break whatever compulsion they are under." Zeke, finishing his soup, says to Byron and Torak, "You may call me Zeke, by the way, I am sorry for the necessary deception of earlier this evening. I will be accompanying you."

mdsoze
2007-11-28, 08:33 PM
Byron

Sounds good. Let's move south, and we'll find this mess and deal with it.

SandDemon
2007-11-29, 12:44 AM
Torak

"South it is"

Tyriq
2007-11-29, 03:24 AM
Granny Godwin

Granny turns from the mixing bowl she was stirring as she picks up this latest bit of conversation. "But.... I haven't had time to bake your cake..." she trails off, as she notices the others already starting to file away from the table. If any of them had turned around, they would have seen a Granny covered in flour from her wrists up to her forehead, still absent-mindedly stirring the gray mush in the bowl.

Someone's got to make sure these young folk get a proper meal from time to time! With that thought, she gathers up her traveling bag and follows after them, just barely remembering to extinguish the oven fire before heading out.

Alicorn
2007-11-29, 09:18 AM
As you travel steadily southward, the village gives way to cultivated land and, eventually, to scrub and then forest proper. By the time the sun indicates that it's about two in the afternoon, you've gotten several miles in among the woods, finding no paths but not finding it difficult going among the older trees that prevent any sunlight from encouraging dense undergrowth.

Spot and Listen checks all around.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-11-29, 12:12 PM
Circe's spot, listen: 1d20=2, 1d20=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1398039) (+3 to spot if it's a shadowy location)

Whisper's spot, listen: 1d20+2=9, 1d20+16=23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1398042) (+8 to spot if it's a shadowy location)

Tyriq
2007-11-29, 12:38 PM
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Kai-Palin
2007-11-29, 09:12 PM
Zeke

"Any of you particularly uncomfortable with the idea of mental commonication? I kept a pair of speaker-rings, and one of you can have my reciever."
((Ring of Communication, pg. 122 of the Magic Item Compendium))

As Zeke wanders, he keeps his eyes and ears open, after making sure his crossbow has both bolts loaded. At one point after he knows it is (roughly) two-o'clock, he pauses for a few seconds and a barely noticeable deep blue shimmer comes into being around him. (Inertial Armor, 3 PP, +6 AC armor)
He carries his spellbook in one hand and his psicrystal hangs around his neck on what appears to be a crystalline chain, but is actually the psicrystal's ectoplasmic legs. He seems to be having an argument with the book, as he is holding it open in one hand and occasionally gesticulating with the other, but he does not speak much aloud.

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

mdsoze
2007-11-30, 12:54 PM
Byron

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Alicorn
2007-11-30, 09:40 PM
((We shall assume that Torak is humming loudly to himself and looking at the clouds, thus forfeiting his check.))

Circe and Whisper hear, and Byron sees:
one of the missing townsfolk -Byron will recognize her as the village midwife, Atora Pellisa fair distance off to the left, apparently filling in a sizeable hole.

mdsoze
2007-11-30, 09:53 PM
Byron

Byron gets excited, and motions towards her, but speaks relatively softly.

That's Atora Pellis. She went missing three weeks ago! This is exciting. What's she doing? Should we approach her?

Alicorn
2007-11-30, 09:56 PM
((Now that she has been pointed out, everyone can see her.))

Kai-Palin
2007-11-30, 11:41 PM
Zeke

"Perhaps it would be wiser if we approach as quietly as possible. I want to get a lock on Mrs. Pellis' thoughts."

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
hooray for totally worthless modifiers rendering useful results!

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-01, 12:26 PM
Circe

The sorceress murmurs a soft spell and says, "We should see if she's under any enchantments before we approach too closely."

(Casting Detect Magic, and using it to examine the woman.)

Alicorn
2007-12-01, 01:26 PM
Detect Magic results:
Atora does not register magically.

mdsoze
2007-12-02, 11:32 AM
Byron

Byron stays back, not approaching Atora at first, waiting for some indication from Zeke.

Kai-Palin
2007-12-02, 12:30 PM
Zeke

(Sorry, I didn't make it particularly clear)

Moving quietly through the forest, Zeke shakes his head and gestures. As he does so, his tattoos throw off a dim radiance and the pattern of varicolored, intersecting lines flashes down him. He has become once again a she, the same young woman as before. Zeke moves until he is about 100 feet from Atora, and squeezes his eyes closed, before opening them wide and staring into a middle distance. Zeke (heh, can't really use he or she, would confuse people) continues to walk quietly toward the townswoman, taking shelter behind the trees, until he is about fifty feet away. He peers around the tree at her, and begins to image her mind. (Manifesting Read Thoughts. 3 PP spent, Will DC 17. Now, I need to know whether Atora makes her Will save or not. And once again I'm thwarted by the fact that you can't read my mind. Sorry!!! Although, my character sheet is right there in the signature, so the DCs are easily accessible.)

Alicorn
2007-12-02, 02:03 PM
((When you want to do something like that, saying what you are using to do it and what the DC for the will save is would be more helpful than rabbit-wolf imagery.))

SandDemon
2007-12-03, 12:46 PM
Torak

Peering around, Torak comes to his senses and watches the others act as he cautiously moves closer to the group.

(ooc: sorry, had some family emergency stuff that occupied me)

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-03, 02:49 PM
Circe

After watching the woman for a few moments, the sorceress says, "She doesn't appear enchanted. It's probably safe to approach her."

Alicorn
2007-12-03, 08:43 PM
((Results of Read Thoughts (I'm going to assume that you chose to have the mental chime display affect people around you, not your subject, so as not to alert Atora):
The woman fails her save. "...will please Mother Hapatha," she is thinking. "I do hope she isn't upset with how long this took me. I'm not accustomed to this kind of job but I suppose there are no babies to deliver, at least not yet, and I certainly don't want to fail her even if I'm not getting the missions I'd most prefer, that would be most unfortunate indeed." You can continue concentrating or not at your option.

Kai-Palin
2007-12-03, 09:02 PM
Zeke

(Actually, he opted not to make any sound beyond the initial chime, which Atora would not hear. If he does anything with a manifesting display that would be noticeable to anyone but him, I'll make sure to write it in. As no one was in range to hear the mental chime anyway, I did not include it.)

Zeke continues his perusal of her thoughts; while he tracks them, he requests that Animus mentally ask the others to approach and attempt to keep their presence secret.

Alicorn
2007-12-03, 10:29 PM
((The description of the mental display says that it can affect people within a 15 foot radius of either the manifester or the subject of the power. Whether or not anyone is within that range of *you*, using the latter option would alert Atora; that's all I was saying. More surface thoughts:))
"I'd better finish up with this hole and get back quick before the midafternoon prayer begins. I don't want to be late again. I was so close to being late this morning and I think Brother Sederrin noticed it. I hope he doesn't let it get back to Mother Hapatha. She's so strict. I know the commands of our Lord are exacting but the Mother herself could be a little more lenient sometimes."

Tyriq
2007-12-04, 10:42 AM
Granny Godwin

"So much fuss over a lady and her garden..." Still, seeing that the hole is too deep for ordinary seeds, Granny knows something isn't quite right.

"Oh dear, oh dear..."

mdsoze
2007-12-04, 02:09 PM
Byron

Byron approaches as quietly as possible.

Move silently [roll0]
Hide [roll1]

Since Byron knows he's not good at hiding, he's already got a backup plan if he's noticed.

If he believes he's been noticed, he will greet her.

Atora! It's Brother Byron of Kord! Why are you digging?

If he believes he's not noticed, he will remain silent.

Alicorn
2007-12-04, 04:25 PM
Atora doesn't seem to hear Byron, but when he gets within a short distance of her, she makes a quarter-turn to pat down the earth over her hole and spots him out of the corner of her eye. "Oh!" she exclaims. "I didn't know we were expecting anyone today. You can go on ahead, Byron. I'm nearly done."

Kai-Palin
2007-12-04, 06:16 PM
((Just in case))
Zeke

Zeke continues his thought-scan.

mdsoze
2007-12-04, 08:50 PM
Byron

Nearly done? I'm sorry, I must be confused. What are you doing?

(Will make Diplomacy check if necessary?)

Alicorn
2007-12-06, 10:51 AM
((Sorry about the late reply, this didn't pop up in my control panel for some reason.))

Results of more mindreading:
"Oh, this could be very bad. I wonder who he's here to replace. Mother Hapatha didn't even wait for me to return for the ceremony before calling for a new follower! Oh, dear, oh dear."

"Oh, I'm just filling in this hole. I'll be along in a minute. You can go on ahead if you like; there's no reason to wait for me," says Atora.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-07, 01:03 PM
Circe

Circe watches the situation passively, petting her owl gently while Byron talks.

mdsoze
2007-12-08, 09:11 AM
Byron

No, I like the company. Why are you filling in this hole? Can we help you?

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 09:14 AM
"I don't need any help. I'm filling it in because the Mother told me I ought to, obviously. You really ought to hurry. She won't like it if you keep her waiting - and she might be upset with me if she thinks I had something to do with it. It really doesn't matter if you like company or not. You'll have to get used to that."

mdsoze
2007-12-08, 09:16 AM
Byron

Oh, okay. I wouldn't want to make her mad. I hate to say this, but I've forgotten where she is. Slipped my mind. Which way to the Mother?

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 09:19 AM
Atora laughs. "Don't be ridiculous, Byron. You wouldn't be here at all unless she'd called you and that tells you everything you need to know. Look, it's sweet of you to try to cheer me up, but it's not going to do you any good in the long run to ingratiate yourself with me. I'm only a layfolk servant, not anyone important in the sanctum."

mdsoze
2007-12-08, 09:21 AM
Byron

I'm not sure why, maybe because I live in the temple, but when I got the call, it was unclear. Maybe I only got half of the message. I really don't know where to go from here, I was just told to head south.

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 09:25 AM
"I... guess the temple might have interfered," says Atora, furrowing her brow. "But you're out in the woods now, so that shouldn't still be happening. I expect Mother Hapatha will know. Well, just let me finish with this real quick," she says, shoveling a little more earth over the hole and stomping on it. "That should take care of it. Goodness, it's lucky you found me. If you'd been late because of having been in Kord's temple I don't think the Mother would have been pleased with you at all."

mdsoze
2007-12-08, 09:27 AM
Byron

I agree. It's very lucky I found you. Lead the way, please.

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 09:31 AM
Atora strikes off into the woods for several steps before she stops and snaps her fingers. "You know what it probably is? You've still got that silly holy symbol. Just take it off and drop it somewhere and I'm sure the call will get clearer. The Mother will make you give it up anyway. When Litin got here she made him give up that little sun necklace - he wasn't even very religious, he just got it from his cousin at the temple of Pelor, but it was still a graven image! I mean, it's not so crucial that you hear it perfectly since I can show you where the sanctum is, but if we had to move for some reason, you would need to know how to find the Mother."

mdsoze
2007-12-08, 09:33 AM
Byron

Hmmmm... Okay. But I'll just tuck it into my pack. In case you're wrong, I don't need two gods angry with me. Now, let's get moving.

Byron will take off his holy symbol and put it into the top compartment of his handy haversack.

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 09:36 AM
Atora stares at him. "What? You can't do that. It's not allowed. Why would I tell you lies about what the Mother wants from us? I don't want you to get in trouble. You have to get rid of it completely." She glances uneasily at the filled-in hole several paces back.

mdsoze
2007-12-08, 09:38 AM
Byron

Why are you looking at that hole? Is something wrong, Atora?

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 09:41 AM
"You'll understand when we get there. Just take your graven image and throw it away first."

mdsoze
2007-12-08, 10:02 AM
Byron

Yes, very well...

Byron gets his holy symbol, but then, instead of throwing it away, he touches Atora and casts Protection from Evil.

Let the influence in your mind begone!

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 10:07 AM
Atora gives a little screech. "What are you doing?" she exclaims.

mdsoze
2007-12-08, 10:08 AM
Byron

Being a priest. Now, what are you doing?

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 10:11 AM
"I! I hardly think my behavior is at issue! You were supposed to get rid of that, not..." She blinks at him. "You weren't called at all, were you! You just want me to show you where the sanctum is so you can stop our work!"

mdsoze
2007-12-08, 10:16 AM
Byron

No, I don't want to stop your work.

But there are women in Onitka who need you, Atora. My sister Trella is pregnant again. And we were sent to find you and the others, and bring you back to Onitka. We can make arrangements for your work here after that.

Figure Diplomacy might be in order now.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 10:20 AM
"Mother Hapatha doesn't want us to go back to Onitka. Eventually everyone will be one of us and then perhaps I can be a midwife again but until then I have to do as I'm told. And I am not taking you to the sanctum or helping you find anyone else! Mother Hapatha told us this would happen! Oh, you wicked, evil, horrible person, trying to stymie us because you don't understand what we're working towards - it will be glorious -" Atora wrings her hands.

mdsoze
2007-12-08, 10:27 AM
Byron

Well then, tell me what you're working towards. If it is so glorious, I will gratefully offer my assistance.

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 10:28 AM
"No, you won't, don't you see? You're too blinded by the little things, it's only visible when they're all wiped away and there's just the glory. That's what the call does, but we haven't gathered enough strength to expand beyond those the Mother can call directly and - and - and I ought not to be telling you anything!"

mdsoze
2007-12-08, 10:34 AM
Byron

Atora, you're telling me because you trust me. Because you know so many people who have sought my advice. I will be open-minded and fair.

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 10:38 AM
"No! You won't! You have an agenda and a false god and you won't give them up for our glory, they'll obstruct your vision and you will not be open-minded or fair, you'll only think you will be, and then when your unfairness makes you think we're all wrong you'll think that you were careful and thoughtful but you're just blind, we're all of us blind and only the Mother can see clearly! Go, go away, go back to Onitka, go back to your safe small little life, you'll find out what we're about soon enough!" shouts Atora.

mdsoze
2007-12-08, 10:45 AM
Atora

What about Maphid? He's my brother. If he can see the wisdom in this project, I am willing to look at it, free from bias.

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 10:47 AM
Atora looks at Byron, tight-lipped, and says nothing.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-08, 11:35 AM
Circe

Oh for the the love of money, she thinks to herself, and rides forward. Hoping the cleric has the wit to play along she says in an imperious tone, but with hints of needing their help, "You there, forgive the intrusion, but I trust you can help me. I serve Count Rogan and Countess Narra, and I've been sent to speak with a woman named Hapatha. Might you know where I could find her?"

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 11:46 AM
Atora looks at the wizardess, bewildered. "Wh- no one - a count? I'm afraid I can't help you."

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-08, 11:49 AM
Circe

"Pity," she replies. "My lord and lady wish to offer support for her cause-- monetary donations, for instance." She fishes a gold coin out of her pouch, fingering it idly. "You're certain you're unable to assist?"

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 11:51 AM
Atora stares at her. "I - but if you're - and how did the lord and lady hear of this cause?" she stammers.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-08, 11:54 AM
Circe

"I'm afraid I'm not privy to all my lord's sources of information. I'm a messenger, not a trusted adviser."

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 11:56 AM
"And - and I'm not privy to any expectations of visitors," says Atora. "I - if they couldn't tell you where she's to be found I cannot help you."

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-08, 11:58 AM
Circe

She pulls a second coin from her pouch, offering them to the woman with one gloved hand. "You've heard of her then? Are you certain you cannot take me to her? I'd be most appreciative." She shakes the coins in her hand letting them jingle together softly with the muted clink of gold.

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 11:59 AM
Atora recoils slightly. "I can't take anyone to her."

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-08, 12:01 PM
Circe

"And your name?" she asks. "I assure you, that once I find her, I shall inform her of your reluctance to be of assistance. Whether that is to your good or ill-- well, you'd know that better than I."

Alicorn
2007-12-08, 12:02 PM
The midwife cringes and doesn't reply.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-08, 12:07 PM
Circe

"And you, good man?" she asks Byron, giving up on direct interrogation of the woman for now, and hoping she may let something slip. "Might you know where I may find her?"

Kai-Palin
2007-12-08, 10:04 PM
Zeke

Hearing (and understanding) Circe's angle, Zeke focuses intensely on Atara, listening to the thoughts that she is obviously avoiding saying. Sweat stands out on his forehead, and he begins to shake slightly.

Alicorn
2007-12-09, 08:57 AM
More mindreading:
"I mustn't! I mustn't give us away! But how am I ever going to escape, Mother Hapatha will think I've abandoned the sanctum, why won't they go away?" Her thoughts turn to something that sounds like a series of repeated nonsense words: "Ori kundarelah selberath enit manariol sli hoan Hapatha sednarkie selberath. Ori kundarelah selberath enit manariol sli hoan Hapatha sednarkie selberath."

Atora, meanwhile sinks to her knees on the forest floor, hugging herself and looking very distressed.

mdsoze
2007-12-09, 07:27 PM
Byron

No, but if I knew, I would certainly take you to her straight away. I have heard of your patron, and your Lord is most generous. Truly, it would be the correct thing to do.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-09, 09:10 PM
Circe

Circe eyes Atora one brief moment more before returning her attention to Byron. "Then good day to the both of you." She pockets her coins again, and rides off into the distance. Once out of sight of the group, she halts her horse, and sends Whisper skyward with instructions to follow the midwife.

Alicorn
2007-12-11, 02:22 PM
((Atora isn't going anywhere while she thinks she's being supervised, so unless Byron is going to go away and leave her be, she's sitting right where she is.))

mdsoze
2007-12-11, 02:41 PM
Byron

Very well, Atora. Tell Maphid I love him, and that his family misses him.

Byron walks back towards the group.

Alicorn
2007-12-11, 02:47 PM
After Byron has been out of eyeshot for about ten minutes, Atora gets up and tears off into the woods, heading southeast.

Tyriq
2007-12-11, 04:38 PM
Granny Godwin

"Well, I don't mean to toot my own petunia, but I do know a thing or two about a garden! That poor dear's bulbs will never grow if she plants them so deep. She seemed like a sweet young thing... Let's dig her seeds back up and plant them properly."

Granny paws at the freshly-dug dirt with one hand, and looks around for a shovel or spade.

Alicorn
2007-12-11, 04:59 PM
(Atora took her shovel with her when she left.)

Alicorn
2007-12-13, 01:39 PM
(Are you digging up the hole with your bare hands, or following Atora, or anything?)

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-13, 01:56 PM
(Circe is letting Whisper follow Atora, and waiting for the owl to report back.)

Alicorn
2007-12-13, 01:57 PM
(yes, but it will take some time for Atora to get anywhere worth reporting about, so is anyone else doing anything in the meantime?)

Tyriq
2007-12-14, 02:07 AM
Granny Godwin

In the absence of a shovel, Granny sees what she can discover by clearing away the dirt with her hands.

((Unless, of course, she thinks one of the tools from her weaponcrafter's set might do a better job... I personally don't know what tools are useful for crafting weapons!))

Alicorn
2007-12-14, 10:09 AM
After some time, Granny Godwin manages to dig up what is in the hole, but it is not seeds at all - it's a shallow grave. If Byron cares to attempt to identify the body, he will recognize it as
his brother, Maphid.

mdsoze
2007-12-14, 10:47 AM
Byron

Byron looks down in the grave at the body. Then freezes, and looks again, moving closer, studying him.

Map... that can't be you. Maphid!

Byron grabs the body, and notices the large gash in his chest.

They stabbed his heart.

They killed my brother.

We will find them.

Byron looks around, confused, angry.

I don't know what to do. He would want to be brought back into town... so he could be buried. But we need to find where Atora's going... so this madness stops.

Tyriq
2007-12-14, 12:37 PM
Granny Godwin

Granny recoils from her discovery, stumbling backward and falling on her bottom.

"Oh my sweet merciful grace on a Tuesday!"

Kai-Palin
2007-12-16, 04:15 PM
Zeke

"Oh dear gods. Byron, I am sorry for you."
Zeke then trips over a root of the tree he was standing behind, and falls to the ground. He lays there for a few seconds, and then shakily pushes himself to his feet. "That was a bit more draining than I had thought. It looks like these villagers are being lead out to work in another community that is shaped by a religioun. Some sort of cult?
I am truly sorry for your brother, but we should put a marker here and we can return his body to the town once we have put an end to this villager-theiving.
Does anyone know the name of a 'Mother Hapatha?'"

Zeke will assist in the re-burial of Maphid, if necessary. Once the group is ready, he will follow Circe.

Alicorn
2007-12-17, 05:49 PM
((If anyone wants to say anything before Whisper returns, please do so within 24 hours.))

Tyriq
2007-12-17, 06:28 PM
(I'm ready to fast forward if everyone else is!)

Kai-Palin
2007-12-19, 11:26 AM
((I'm ready to go on, I've spelled out what I want to do b/w now and whenever the owl comes back.))

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-21, 11:09 PM
Circe

Some hours later Circe rejoins the others, the owl again riding on her arm. "Whisper tells me the woman descended a hidden staircase at the base of a tree. She can lead us there. We should probably have a plan going in."

Alicorn
2007-12-28, 02:40 PM
((Okay, Christmas is over, rouse yourselves from cookie-induced stupors and formulate a plan.))

Alicorn
2008-01-02, 11:49 AM
((New Year's is over too. If there's no more posts here by the next time I check then plot will have to rain down out of the sky.))

Kai-Palin
2008-01-02, 06:33 PM
Zeke

"Byron, you should probably take the lead once we get down there. I will attempt to gather information when we reach this tree, so that we don't have to go in blind. Mistress Circe, what sorcery is available to you?"

Looking over at Granny Godwin, he says wryly "Granny, you have a choice here, you may either come clean, in which case you may come with us and we'd welcome your assistance, or you may return home. I am not willing to bring someone along who might get hurt."

((Sorry, had too much egg-nog. We have cookies?))

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-02, 07:57 PM
Circe

"Given that I've set up an expectation with the woman from earlier that I'm on my own, it may be best if I not come in with the rest of you. Otherwise, I expect your plan has merit." She feeds Whisper a small morsel as she continues. "As to your request, I can speak with Whisper here, and sense some of what she feels at longer distances. I have most of the usual cantrips available to me, I can charm the hearts of those I speak with (charm person, eagle's splendor), see in the dark (darkvision), fly, and I possess a small array of combative and defensive magics."

mdsoze
2008-01-04, 02:46 PM
Byron

I like that idea. I have... much to discuss with whoever did this. I pray for the strength to battle well today.

Kai-Palin
2008-01-05, 08:54 PM
Zeke

"If you insist, Lady Circe. If nothing else, could you come and stand guard outside the door? We may run into more than we can handle down there."

Looking over at Granny Godwin, who appears to be staring into space, he gives her a shake, "Will you be coming, Granny?"

mdsoze
2008-01-07, 03:06 PM
Byron

Byron kneels on the ground, and bows his head, while waiting for Granny to decide what to do.

Those who care to listen would hear him praying for strength, speaking softly, his hand wrapped around his symbol of Kord.

Alicorn
2008-01-13, 09:59 AM
((I'm going to PM Tyriq. If I don't get a prompt answer, you will have to press on without a response therefrom.))

Alicorn
2008-01-18, 10:21 AM
((This is getting ridiculous. Tyriq's character keels over suddenly from undiagnosed anemia and cannot be roused. Attendance check posts from ALL of the rest of you, and kindly refrain from spending forever reacting to the anemic's death. I will look into replacing him.))

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-18, 12:08 PM
Circe

"Well, I know the part I'm going to play. The only question for me is, who should enter first? Me, or the rest of you? I hope you'll come up with a plan of your own. One that doesn't involve running in and slaughtering everyone. They may not be acting of their own volition, you realize."

Kai-Palin
2008-01-18, 11:25 PM
Zeke

"Planning for every contingency is, of course, impossible, but my idea was to get down there and try to figure out what is causing the villagers to leave, and to feel no compulsion about it. It seems as though they are acting more or less voluntarily, but there must be something behind it. I'd try to find this 'Mother Hapatha' and then question her, if possible. If she is the cause behind the disappearances, we'll attempt to persuade her to release the townsfolk. If she won't, we may have to attempt violence, but that is only the very last resort."

Zeke gets to his feet, and prepares to follow Circe to the 'tree'.

mdsoze
2008-01-19, 10:32 AM
Byron

Agreed. If Atora was merely being controlled, I would have been able to temporarily break that control with the magic I performed.

As for going there, I'm not sure what will happen. Doubtless Atora has told the Matron about us. So they will be prepared.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-19, 11:24 AM
Circe

"It may be better if you two go first. I can follow a half hour or so later and claim that Whisper spotted your descent."

Kai-Palin
2008-01-19, 10:00 PM
Zeke

"That seems wise, although it might even be better if they're expecting people who don't come. After all, the poor woman never saw me, and if we just alter Byron's appearance a little..."

He unties his bandanna, which suddenly appears to be a wide-brimmed straw hat, and hands it to Byron.
"Take this and put it on, and you can look like someone else. They won't recognize you either, and we can try to infiltrate a bit more easily."

He then rummages around in a belt pouch and pulls out a silver ring, which he hands to Circe. "Lady Circe, touch this to my ring, and then if an emergency arises I can call you. If no emergency ends up happening, then yes, come down in about thirty minutes, and we will proceed from there."

This time Zeke actually begins to walk toward where the 'tree' is located.

mdsoze
2008-01-20, 09:31 AM
Byron

Interesting. Though perhaps we could use this to our advantage as well, could we not?

Byron attempts to make himself look like his now-lost brother, Maphid.

Alicorn
2008-01-20, 03:22 PM
((That seems within the capabilities of the hat, so now you look like Maphid. Anything else anyone wants to do before you arrive at the entrance to place?))

Alicorn
2008-01-22, 11:12 AM
(I will take the silence as a no.)

The party arrives in relatively short order at the entrance to which Whisper followed Atora. It does not look guarded.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-22, 11:57 AM
Circe

The sorceress settles down to wait out the agreed upon half-hour, having activated the ring per Zeke's request.

mdsoze
2008-01-23, 09:33 AM
Byron

Well, let's walk in, and see what reaction I get. Might as well be quick about this.

Byron goes down the stairs.

Alicorn
2008-01-23, 09:49 AM
Byron, still in his brother's guise, reaches the bottom of the staircase, where he spots a half-dozen of the missing engaged in various tasks - polishing weapons, cooking stew, mending clothes, copying some documents. When they hear him descending the staircase they all look up; some of them drop what they're holding and one tears off through an archway into the next room.

"You're dead!" exclaims a young man whom Byron recognizes as Leddan Marcas, a potato farmer. "Everyone was there!"

mdsoze
2008-01-23, 09:55 AM
Byron (as Maphid)

I know. But I have returned. I was returned.

Alicorn
2008-01-23, 10:32 AM
Leddan and the other weapon-polisher, whom Byron doesn't recognize, pick up a weapon apiece. "How?" demands the erstwhile potato farmer. "Why?"

mdsoze
2008-01-23, 11:50 AM
Byron (as Maphid)

I saw myself coming to this place. I saw myself learning the truth of this place. As for what lies before me, I do not know. But I know I am meant to be here.

Kai-Palin
2008-01-23, 05:10 PM
Zeke

Zeke follows Byron/Maphid, attempting to look as inconsequential and inconspicuous as possible, despite his rather odd looks.

Alicorn
2008-01-29, 09:41 AM
((Sorry about the delay; my control panel will persist in failing to notify my of half the posts. Feel free to pester me by PM or AIM if I go 2 days without posting here.))

"Should we kill him... again?" asks the weapon-polisher whom Byron couldn't identify.
"Who is that?" asks the woman who was stirring the pot of stew, looking at Zeke.
"No," mutters Leddan, "no, not unless they attack us first or if when Thaden comes back he brings orders from the Mother... or if they try to go deeper into the sanctum..."

mdsoze
2008-01-29, 01:43 PM
Byron

He was sent back with me. He's something of a guide.

It is a pity that Thaden is gone. I was sent to speak with him. Permit me entrance, that I might wait for his return?

Alicorn
2008-01-29, 10:27 PM
"You're not going anywhere!" shouts Leddan. "Sent? Who sent you? Are you taking orders from outgroupers now?"

mdsoze
2008-01-30, 10:58 AM
Byron

Well, you all saw me die. Yet here I am. Obviously I have been sent back. That wouldn't have been done without some purpose. I will say no more.

Alicorn
2008-01-30, 03:47 PM
"You sure won't," growls the unidentified weapon-polisher, brandishing his axe.
"No, wait, the Mother may have plans," hisses Leddan.

mdsoze
2008-01-30, 07:40 PM
Byron

Of course. Now, let me pass.

Alicorn
2008-01-30, 07:53 PM
"Ohhhh no," says Leddan. "You're not going anywhere."

mdsoze
2008-01-31, 01:04 PM
Byron

You cannot stop me, Ledden. I apologize, but this is beyond your control?

Byron draws his weapon.

Now please let me pass. I do not want to harm any of you, but I have been sent , and I must complete my task.

Alicorn
2008-01-31, 03:44 PM
Those remaining three people in the room go for weapons themselves; the door out of the room is now blocked by five armed commoners. ((Map of the room with people on it available on request.))

mdsoze
2008-02-01, 08:33 AM
Byron

I guess you leave me no choice. I'm sorry. This will hurt me more than it hurts you, Ledden.

With that, Byron moves forward and attacks.

Initiative [roll0]

On Byron's Initiative, he will swing his mace at a commoner adjacent to him, attempting to deal subdual damage.

Attack [roll1]

Damage [roll2]

Alicorn
2008-02-01, 05:31 PM
((Init from Zeke, please.))

Kai-Palin
2008-02-01, 07:14 PM
((Sorry about that. And consider this a request for a map, as well. To be sure, there are five people besides us in the room, correct?))
Zeke

"Circe, we'll probably be alright, but be ready. Things may turn out poorly, I'll let you know in a second."
Zeke subvocalizes, and Circe hears his words as though spoken from beside her.

Initiative: [roll0]
Brother Byron, put away your weapon, quickly. says a telepathic voice to the cleric, the same light female voice he has heard from Zeke before.

Zeke closes his eyes briefly and hums low in his throat, the sound resonating through the room. The force of his power settles over the peasants like a cloak.
Don't attack us, we bring no harm. Welcome your brother back to your midst, and his guide as well.

(Psionic Suggestion affecting the five people in the room. DC 16 Will save to resist.)

Alicorn
2008-02-01, 08:53 PM
((There are 5 peasants in the room. Zeke has 5 levels in psion, Psionic Suggestion costs 3 PP plus two per additional person. Unless there's something nonobvious you're doing that I don't know about, you can only suggest to two peasants with one iteration of the power.))

Kai-Palin
2008-02-02, 12:39 PM
((You're right, I forgot about the whole "no more PP than level on single power" thing. Sorry. This is, after all, my first psionic character. Alright, Zeke tries to suggest to the two closest to him.
Even suppressed, the auditory effect is noticeable for all within 15 feet via a DC 10 Listen check. I assumed they all heard it.))

Alicorn
2008-02-02, 02:41 PM
((Is the suggestion "audible" to the other peasants as well, and are you suppressing the display of the power or not?))

Alicorn
2008-02-11, 10:58 AM
((Okay, for future reference, DO NOT answer my clarifying questions by editing previous posts. It will not cause the post to pop up in my control panel, which is the primary way I see if you guys have done anything. That means I won't see it until I get mightily impatient and check the thread itself. If you have anything whatsoever to say, make a new post. Editing is for correcting small mistakes BEFORE anyone else posts in response to you.

Furthermore, you didn't even answer my whole question. Are the actual words of the thing you are suggesting (don't attack us, welcome your brother back, etc.) audible to the peasants who you are not targeting with your power? Or are you only "talking" to those two? Since you are communicating telepathically, you could do it either way you chose.))

Kai-Palin
2008-02-11, 08:16 PM
((I believe the suggestion itself is audible only to those it targets. As for editing posts, I had assumed that since I edited it while you were still online, in fact mere minutes after you had posted, that you would have seen it. At some point you will have to be a DM and put in the bits that I don't.))

Alicorn
2008-02-11, 09:23 PM
((Noted. In the future if I find that clarifying questions are not answered completely, visibly, and promptly I will make the least charitable assumptions possible and proceed.))

"Leddan, this is Maphid, not some random intruder," says one of the peasants targeted, lowering his weapon.
"Yeah, and he couldn't have come back if it weren't the will of -" begins another.
"Shut up," says Leddan, looking as though he recognizes the significance of the psionic hum all too well and glaring at the pair of visitors.
"But he's -" says the first suggested peasant.
"No, damn you both, I'm the foremost in the room and -" says Leddan, stopping short when another man whom Byron doesn't recognize sweeps into the chamber.
"What," he says in a booming voice, "is going on here?" He fixes Byron with a suspicious, forbidding stare.

((Pausing for any reaction from Byron and/or Zeke. Will post with the peasants' report to the new arrival soonish.))

mdsoze
2008-02-13, 09:01 AM
Byron

Byron will wait to see what plays out.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-13, 12:02 PM
Circe

Circe counts out the minutes, waiting for the allotted time.

(Just posting to let you know I'm still here. =) )

Alicorn
2008-02-13, 12:36 PM
"Brother," exclaims Leddan to the new arrival, "these people - Maphid and this other - they just came down the stairs - And the other one's done something to Barses and Talaile, there was a humming sound and then -"

"Maphid?" interrupts the arrival, raising an eyebrow at Byron. "And how could that be?"

mdsoze
2008-02-14, 01:40 PM
Byron

I've been sent here. That you cannot deny. How I came here does not concern you.

Alicorn
2008-02-14, 03:46 PM
"If you are truly who you appear to be, you will submit to my authority as before and tell me everything I wish to know, or be slain a second time. If you are not Maphid, you will be slain anyway for venturing to invade here. This is your last chance to explain," says the newcomer.

mdsoze
2008-02-14, 04:15 PM
Byron

I'm not sure I can explain. The will of the gods rarely is explainable. All I know is that I knew I had to come here. And now that I am here, I am finding my purpose. If you do not find that explanation satisfactory, then you can slay me again. And then again when I return. And maybe then you'll figure it out.

Alicorn
2008-02-14, 05:52 PM
"Kill him," the man orders the peasantry tersely. "And the other."

The two peasants under Zeke's power wince as the order conflicts with the compulsion, but don't move to attack. The other three, however, do.

((Let's get new inits please; you have until I get impatient to not be dropped to the bottom of the initiative order.))

mdsoze
2008-02-14, 06:17 PM
Byron

[roll0]

Kai-Palin
2008-02-14, 07:52 PM
Zeke

[roll0]

Alicorn
2008-02-14, 08:55 PM
Initiative Order:

Newcomer
Leddan
Uncompelled Peasant 1
Zeke
Uncompelled Peasant 2
Byron

Having issued his order, the newcomer seizes both of the suggested peasants by their shirts and begins leading them none too gently back in the direction he came. They offer him no resistance.

Leddan rushes at Byron and attacks him with his sword; he misses.

Uncompelled Peasant 1 attacks Zeke with his axe and deals 4 damage.

Zeke's turn. Byron may post conditional actions if he likes also.

mdsoze
2008-02-15, 10:28 AM
Byron

With Ledden attacking him, Byron uses his mace, but attempts to only render Ledden unconscious.

Attack [roll0]
Subdual Damage [roll1]

Kai-Palin
2008-02-16, 01:11 PM
Zeke

Sucking in breath as the axe hits its mark, Zeke dodges to one side and makes fleeting, outlining gestures with one hand, tracing a large rectangle in front of himself.

Cast: Shield
Casting Defensively: [roll0] Needs to make DC 16, I believe
Becoming Psionically focused: [roll1] DC 20, I believe. And this provokes an AoO

Then, with combat reeling around him, he takes a moment to collect his thoughts, centering himself in the melee. ((Becoming Psionically focused (move action)) Knowing that this move will leave him open, he relies on his now augmented defenses to protect him.

If he gets the opportunity, he whispers through the ring to Circe, "We've engaged people down here. If you wish to help us, feel free to come down."

AC: 22, HP: 17, Effects: Shield 1/60 rnds (6 mins), Inertial Armor 3/5 hrs.

Alicorn
2008-02-16, 01:18 PM
Uncompelled Peasant 1 takes his AoO against Zeke and misses completely.

Uncompelled Peasant 2 attacks Byron and misses.

Byron's attack on Leddan hits, but doesn't subdue him completely.

Leddan returns the attack, hitting Byron for 2 damage.

Uncompelled Peasant 1 attacks Zeke again and misses again.

Zeke's turn.

mdsoze
2008-02-16, 01:33 PM
Byron

Byron will repeat his effort to render Ledden unconscious.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Kai-Palin
2008-02-16, 01:56 PM
Zeke

Zeke stares into the eyes of (for lack of a better term) Uncompelled Peasant 1. The man's mind is filled with a rending screech that batters at his consciousness.

Manifesting Mind Thrust for 3 power points, expending psionic focus
Manifesting Defensively: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Withholding Display from all but target (who has to hear it regardless): [roll2]
Uncompelled Peasant 1 must succeed on a DC 17 Will save or take the damage
Psionic Focus: [roll3]

Regarding with a drawn countenance the pain he wreaked upon the peasant, Zeke again fights down the mental clutter of violence building around him, focusing his power.

AC: 22, HP: 17, Effects: Shield 2/60 rnds (6 mins), Inertial Armor 3/5 hrs.

Alicorn
2008-02-16, 02:27 PM
Uncompelled Peasant 1 falls to the ground with a scream and dies.

Uncompelled Peasant 2 misses Byron again.

Byron misses Leddan.

Leddan misses him, too.

Uncompelled Peasant 1 remains dead.

Zeke's turn.

New initiative order for a reference on this page:

Leddan
Zeke
Uncompelled Peasant 2
Byron

mdsoze
2008-02-16, 03:56 PM
Byron continues his subdual attacks

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Kai-Palin
2008-02-17, 10:57 AM
Zeke

Zeke makes another mental assualt, this one on the other uncompelled peasant.

Manifesting Mind Thrust for 3 power points, expending psionic focus
Damage: [roll0]
Withholding display: [roll1]
Will save is DC 17
Regaining psionic focus: [roll2]

He pauses and again brings his consciousness into focus.

AC: 22, HP: 17, Effects: Shield 3/60 rnds (6 mins), Inertial Armor 3/5 hrs.

Alicorn
2008-02-17, 12:36 PM
Uncompelled Peasant 2 falls unconscious.

Byron thwacks Leddan into unconsciousness as well.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-17, 01:40 PM
Circe

Circe replies into the ring. "It would look suspicious if I simply came in and started fighting with you. Unless the situation is dire, I would prefer to remain here for the time being. Can you give me more information?"

mdsoze
2008-02-17, 05:56 PM
Byron

Byron checks the bodies to make sure they are all unconscious. When he finds the dead one, he glares at Zeke but says nothing.

Kai-Palin
2008-02-17, 06:11 PM
Zeke

Zeke says into the ring, "We've subdued the closest peasants, and we'll try to go to the aid of the two that will help us. There's a room down here with weapons in it, and the people here seem to be unfriendly to outsiders. We're following a man who will hopefully lead us to someone in charge. He's leading the two peasants that I suggested help us." His inflection on the word 'suggested' leads Circe to know that he's talking about something beyond mere speech.

Looking up at Byron, he says, "I am sorry about that man. There is little I can do yet to incapacitate an enemy for a long period of time. I will do my best to negate that shortcoming." He looks around the room for a mace, and holds onto it as they advance into the next room, following the last man to enter and his two "suggestioned" companions.

AC: 22, HP: 17, Effects: Shield 4/60 rnds (6 mins), Inertial Armor 3/5 hrs.

mdsoze
2008-02-19, 10:15 PM
Byron

Very well, let us go forth.

Byron follows Zeke, mace drawn.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-19, 10:36 PM
Circe

"Ruining a good plan, no doubt," the sorceress mutters before leaving Whisper on watch outside and descending into the hidden fortress.

Alicorn
2008-02-20, 10:34 AM
The exit from the first room leads not into another room, but rather into a narrow hallway which turns ninety degrees to the right and then takes another left.

Zeke, in the lead, please roll a Reflex save.

Kai-Palin
2008-02-20, 04:34 PM
Barely spotting the incoming threat, Zeke's power flashes into a barrier that shunts him aside, adding extra momentum to his reflexive dodge. (Activating Resistance racial ability, 1PP)
[roll0]

Alicorn
2008-02-20, 05:07 PM
((You cannot use immediate actions while flat-footed.))

Zeke falls through a self-reclosing trapdoor in the floor and takes 15 falling damage. Spot checks from Byron and Circe, please.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-20, 05:29 PM
Circe's spot check: 8

Kai-Palin
2008-02-20, 05:34 PM
Fine then, as you like.

Falling down the shaft, Zeke builds an inertial barrier, dispersing some of the force of his landing. (Activate Resilience, expending 4 PP, reduce falling damage by 8 points.)

HP: 10/21

mdsoze
2008-02-20, 07:20 PM
Byron

Spot [roll0]

Alicorn
2008-02-20, 07:26 PM
Byron and Circe see only Zeke falling into the pit and the trapdoor shutting seamlessly behind him.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-20, 09:15 PM
Circe

Before moving any further, Circe calls upon her magic, casting a spell on herself. (Fly)

mdsoze
2008-02-20, 10:27 PM
Byron

Byron stops.

Zeke's gone. That's trouble.

Lady Circe, do you know any magic that would aid me in crossing?

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-20, 11:20 PM
Circe

Pleased at the appellation of 'Lady', Circe casts fly on Byron. "Fly spell," she says quietly.

mdsoze
2008-02-21, 06:14 PM
Byron

Byron nods approvingly, and accepts the spell. Then he reaches into his bag and removes a 50 foot length of silk rope, and begins untying the knotted end, motioning towards Circe, pantomiming feeding the rope down the trap door.

Kai-Palin
2008-02-23, 12:05 AM
Zeke looks around him, trying to discern his surroundings. He listens hard if he cannot see anything, one arm up in a warding gesture, bringing his wardshield up protect himself.

Alicorn
2008-02-23, 09:32 AM
Zeke's surroundings are too dark for him to see anything, and he hears only Zeke and Circe's faint voices from above.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-23, 10:39 AM
Circe

Circe steps onto the stop where Zeke fell, expecting the trap to trigger with her weight. Using the fly spell, she sinks just enough to lean against the door, hoping to keep it open (assuming the trap does, in fact, open).

mdsoze
2008-02-23, 12:02 PM
Byron

Assuming that all goes to plan and the trap door is opened, Byron drops one end of the rope down into the opening, keeping hold of the other end, levitating over the hole.

Alicorn
2008-02-23, 03:25 PM
Circe's weight pushes the trap door open - slowly, as she's opposing the spring-loaded mechanism that caused it to reclose itself and because she isn't trusting her full weight to it - and light seeps into the hole, enough for everyone to see each other and Zeke to see the dangling end of the rope.

mdsoze
2008-02-27, 09:59 PM
Byron

Zeke, grab on or stay down there, but be quick about it. We've still got work to do.

Kai-Palin
2008-02-28, 10:24 PM
Zeke grasps the rope and attempts to clamor up it.

[roll0] (I think that's the right modifier, I'll check later.

mdsoze
2008-02-28, 11:44 PM
If Zeke cannot climb the rope, Byron will tell him to hold on, and then will levitate backwards, dragging him up.

Alicorn
2008-02-29, 12:11 AM
Zeke just barely manages to cling to the rope as Byron hauls him up and out of the trap.

mdsoze
2008-03-07, 04:15 PM
Byron

There we go. It's a touch difficult there. Nasty, that trap is. Lady Circe cast a fly spell on me. You already to continue, Zeke?

If there is no discontent from Zeke or Circe, Byron will pick up Zeke and float across the trap, placing him on the other side. And then Byron will begin to float just off the ground, moving forwards.

Alicorn
2008-03-12, 09:14 PM
((...right, I was waiting for something but yanno what let's skip it.))

The three of you continue through the passageway. As you make a turn to the left, you spy the peasants that Zeke suggested - lying in puddles of their own blood in the hallway, having been stabbed just as Maphid was.

Alicorn
2008-03-17, 10:20 AM
((*poke*))

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-03-20, 11:42 AM
Circe

Circe looks nauseated at the sight of the bodies. She hitches up her skirts to avoid trailing them in any of the pooled blood. "How barbaric can they get?" she mutters.

mdsoze
2008-03-24, 02:59 PM
Byron

Byron looks disgusted, seeing his fellows murdered so casually.

Let us move forward quickly. We must save any that still live.

Alicorn
2008-04-02, 11:25 PM
((I'm going to pretend that that was an action, not a statement, for the sake of the game advancing a touch more.))

You continue through the passage, encountering no more traps or dead people, until you reach a huge, pillared chamber. A dozen of the missing peasants, most of whom Byron recognizes, form a line across the chamber, barring your path.

((Please indicate whether you are going to step into the chamber or not when you post, even if you just want to post dialogue.))

mdsoze
2008-04-06, 05:11 PM
Byron

Byron steps into the chamber, walking to the peasants.

What have you been doing here? (He proceeds to name some of them) Please come home. Your families have missed you.

Alicorn
2008-04-06, 05:24 PM
"If you're truly Maphid you know our home is here now!" shouts one of the peasants - Lartec, the baker's son, Byron recognizes. "Come no farther, any of you!"

mdsoze
2008-04-06, 05:27 PM
Byron

If my home was here, then why was I killed? I have seen the error of my ways, and I have come back.

Alicorn
2008-04-06, 05:50 PM
"If you're truly Maphid, you know why you had to die, as well!" shouts Lartec.

mdsoze
2008-04-06, 06:05 PM
Byron

Byron decides to discard the charade, shifting back to his native appearance.

I'm not Maphid, I'm Byron. I've come to find out why my brother died. You all know I've trained for battle in Kord's academy. I pray I will not have to take my answers from your corpses.

Alicorn
2008-04-06, 06:24 PM
The peasants startle when Byron shifts, but don't get out of the way.

"You're entitled to no answers, infidel!" cries Tarsa Prain, a dairy farm girl who had been dating one of Byron's brothers.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-04-06, 06:35 PM
Circe

With the attention on Byron, Circe attempts to judge how alert and hostile the peasants are. She casts Eagle's Splendor on herself and watches the reaction of the crowd. (Takes her cha from 17 to 21)

mdsoze
2008-04-06, 06:58 PM
Byron

Tarsa, you knew me. Maphid was killed. I need closure. I need answers. Kord demands I seek them, especially since there is such a struggle to find them.

Alicorn
2008-04-06, 08:14 PM
Circe: As far as you can tell, the peasants would all like to see you dead, but for whatever reason, are not yet attacking. Some of them notice you casting a spell and start forward, looking like that might be reason to attack, but upon finding that it has no immediately threatening effect, they return to their original places in line.

"I know you, and I know this is none of your business, closure or no. What your infidel's god demands is no fit reason for me to go against our orders," says Tarsa stonily.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-04-06, 08:46 PM
Circe

"And what are those orders?" the sorceress asks, sounding almost bored.

Alicorn
2008-04-06, 10:46 PM
"We owe you no explanation!" shrieks Lartec.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-04-06, 11:37 PM
Circe

Circe shakes out a handful of gold (10 gp) and displays it in one gloved hand. "Perhaps a little coin would loosen your tongue? Or at least make it more civil," she says. Her voice mixes boredom and a little irritation at the tone of the rabble.

mdsoze
2008-04-07, 09:33 AM
Byron

Byron looks a bit put off by Circe's gesture, but waits for a reaction before he does anything else.

Alicorn
2008-04-07, 10:07 AM
Lartec spits in Circe's general direction, although he's far enough away that it doesn't land particularly near her.

mdsoze
2008-04-09, 10:12 AM
Byron

You insult this good Lady, Lartec. And now, I must ask you to stand aside.

Byron continues forward across the chamber, his weapon drawn, but not attacking. If he reaches the line of peasants, he will attempt to push through them, only attacking if he must, and making non-lethal strikes.

Alicorn
2008-04-09, 10:47 AM
As Byron approaches Lartec, he and the peasants to either side of him raise their weapons. "Come no closer. We'll kill you," says Lartec.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-04-09, 11:05 AM
Circe

Circe mutters the words to a cantrip before following Byron in a more haughty manner. (Casting Detect Magic, and gazing at the people with it.)

mdsoze
2008-04-09, 11:51 AM
Byron

I very much doubt that. I've trained for battle for years. You know that, all of you do. If any of you are standing at the end of an encounter, I'd be sorely disappointed in myself. More likely you'll all be unconscious. Stand aside, don't make me hurt you.

Intimidate: [roll0]

((PS If Diplomacy would be an acceptable skill to use, even with that tactic, my modifier is +10 rather than +2)).

Byron then continues forward, attempting to pass the line of peasants.

Alicorn
2008-04-09, 11:55 AM
"Then we'll fall! There will be more of us, always more of us," laughs Lartec manically. The peasants do not move out of the way.

mdsoze
2008-04-09, 12:23 PM
Byron

Byron decides it is time for business, and pushes through the line.

Bull Rush.

Strength Check: [roll0]

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-04-09, 01:44 PM
Circe

Circe uses one more spell-- Charm Person-- this time on Lartec. (Spell DC 16 to resist)

Alicorn
2008-04-09, 02:29 PM
((We need initiatives now that we are doing combatty stuff.))

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-04-09, 02:56 PM
Circe's init: 1d20+2=5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1557241/)

mdsoze
2008-04-09, 05:55 PM
Byron's Initiatitive: [roll0]

Alicorn
2008-04-09, 09:34 PM
Initiative order:

Lartec
Unnamed Peasant I
Unnamed Peasant II
Unnamed Peasant III
Unnamed Peasant IV
Tarsa
Unnamed Peasant V
Unnamed Peasant VI
Unnamed Peasant VII
Unnamed Peasant VIII
Byron
Circe
Unnamed Peasant IX
Unnamed Peasant X

For reference, the peasants begin the turn lined up across the room like so:
Tarsa, IV, III, II, I, Lartec, IX, X, VIII, VII, VI, V

((But I will resolve your actions first, since none of them will attack until you do.))

Byron fails his opposed Strength check with Lartec and provokes an attack of opportunity from Lartec and unnamed peasants X and I. Unnamed Peasant X hits for 3 points of damage with his sword; the other two attacks miss.

Circe's spell seems to work and Lartec lowers his weapon. Unnamed Peasant IX promptly stabs the charmed man; Lartec collapses on the ground, bleeding. Unnamed Peasant X moves two squares to his right to fill in the hole left by the fallen man, and attacks Byron and misses.

Lartec is out of commission. Unnamed Peasant I attacks Byron and hits for 4 points of damage with his club. Unnamed Peasant II moves up to Circe and attacks her, hitting for 8 points of damage with her sword. Unnamed Peasant III also moves up to Circe, flanks with II, and hits for 2 points of damage with his dagger. Unnamed Peasant IV also moves up to Circe, meaning that she is surrounded on three nondiagonal sides with the entrance to the room behind her, and attacks, missing.

Tarsa moves to the diagonal ahead of Circe and to her left, where she attacks with her club and hits, dealing 4 points of damage. Unnamed Peasant V charges up to occupy the square to Byron's right, and attacks, but misses. Unnamed Peasant VI charges to the square behind Byron and to his right, attacks, and also misses. Unnamed Peasant VII, who Byron remembers has some sorcerous ability, casts Magic Missile, hitting Byron with a missile for 3 damage. Unnamed Peasant VIII takes a double move action to get to the spot formerly occupied by Unnamed Peasant I.

Maplet:

Door

[VIII] [ X ] [ IX ] [ ] [VII ]
[Byr] [ V ]
[ VI ]
[ IV ]
[III ] [Cir] [ II ]
Door

mdsoze
2008-04-10, 01:34 PM
Byron

ARRRRRRRGHHH, may Kord bless me in battle this day!

Byron steps 5' closer to Circe, and attacks Peasant IV with his mace.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]