PDA

View Full Version : Disguise Spell

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-19, 08:08 PM
Is there a way to conceal the fact you are casting a spell other than the Disguise Spell feat, which requires the spell be part of a performance?

Reijura
2007-11-19, 08:09 PM
Sleight of hand? We use that on occassion cause it seems to make sense thematically, though we are a bit of story>game mechanics. though remains balanced as you still need the skill points and roll to pull it off against their spot or sense motive.

hell, I think I even saw this in a book as a "variant usage of skill section."

MeklorIlavator
2007-11-19, 08:09 PM
You can use still/silent spell, but besides that I can't really think of anything. Can you give some more data on the exact situation?

The_Snark
2007-11-19, 08:13 PM
Keep in mind that a performance can mean telling a joke or giving a short speech.

That said, yes; there's a skill trick in Complete Scoundrel that lets you do this. You make a Sleight of Hand check, enemies who fail opposed Spot checks don't know you're casting a spell (and can't counterspell or make attacks of opportunity.)

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-19, 08:14 PM
there's a skill trick in Complete Scoundrel that lets you do this. You make a Sleight of Hand check, enemies who fail opposed Spot checks don't know you're casting a spell (and can't counterspell or make attacks of opportunity.)

Awesomeness. That fits the bill exactly.

cupkeyk
2007-11-19, 08:28 PM
There is a feat in Cityscape, something along the lines of Redirect Spell? or something, i dunno LOLz but that's the book. It changes the point of emanation for a spell. It shows Mialee smiling as her target gets struck by a lightning bolt from the sky instead of her hand. A silent spell or a spell with no vocal components augmented with metamagic spell an be done while in hiding would have very auspicious effects, to say the least.

I dunno, he just burst into flames all of a sudden. (Combust)

That man turned into a hamster in the city square! (Baleful Polymorph)

Everyone just started killing each other! The Horror! (Confusion or Song of Dischord)

Reijura
2007-11-19, 08:54 PM
Keep in mind that a performance can mean telling a joke or giving a short speech.

That said, yes; there's a skill trick in Complete Scoundrel that lets you do this. You make a Sleight of Hand check, enemies who fail opposed Spot checks don't know you're casting a spell (and can't counterspell or make attacks of opportunity.)

There we are. blah my memories fail me, I was just reading complete scoundrel not a week ago. :(

Frosty
2007-11-20, 01:28 AM
You don't need a skill trick for it. It's an official use of Sleight of Hand to conceal your casting. Look in the Rules Compendium.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-20, 01:29 AM
You don't need a skill trick for it. It's an official use of Sleight of Hand to conceal your casting. Look in the Rules Compendium.

Wow, that is awesome. Even more awesomer than the feat.