PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular Opinions

BURNhollywoodBURN
2007-11-21, 09:00 PM
There's an Unpopular music opinions thread in media discussions, and I figured, why not make a thread for general opinions too?

Basically, you have to post some opinions that you have that would get you killed in some areas. I'll start:

-I hate cherry. I don't know how it happened, but when I tried my first liquid medicine, which was cherry-flavored, I started despising the entire fruit altogether.

-I hate dark chocolate. I never really liked the taste, but I'm Jewish and can't eat any dairy products within three hours of eating meat (what was God thinking?), so I have to eat it if I want any chocolate. I was fully convinced when I saw a Hershey's wrapper. "Mildly sweet"? Excuse me, but I like my chocolate very sweet.

A big one, you might have to close your eyes:
I cannot eat fish. Don't know why, but something about it makes the entire thing bad. It may be the smell of seaweed, the reason I hate sushi.
Yes, I know mine were only about food, but you can do anything as long as it doesn't have to do with music.

Gaelbert
2007-11-21, 09:03 PM
I don't like chicken.
I don't really like turkey either.

Deepblue706
2007-11-21, 09:04 PM
I hate babies.

I don't think I like the news, either.

I also think Donnie Darko is a terrible movie.

Catcher in the Rye is a dumb book.

Cyrano
2007-11-21, 09:08 PM
Opinions CAN be wrong, as evidenced by your own.

Deepblue706
2007-11-21, 09:09 PM
Opinions CAN be wrong, as evidenced by your own.

YOUR opinion on opinions is wrong. Wait...

Cyrano
2007-11-21, 09:11 PM
YOUR opinion on opinions is wrong. Wait...

Hence why it is an unpopular opinion: genetic memory leading back to the great Recursivity Collapse that annihilated the first alien civilisation on Earth.

The Orange Zergling
2007-11-21, 09:13 PM
I find small children just learning to speak very annoying, and until they're about 8. It's mostly the constant "look at me!"ness that little ones usually have. Babies and older children are fine (for the most part, exceptions are always present).

Sgilti
2007-11-21, 09:22 PM
I'm generally considered to be the crazy one at my school for believing that a good night's sleep will trump any amount of studying before an exam (and I've only been wrong maybe five times ever in my life).

I also don't like Asian food and anything with a lot of spice. I wish I did, since I like to broaden my cultural horizons, but the stuff just doesn't taste good to me.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-11-21, 09:37 PM
#1. I detest anime. Always have. From the drawing style to the over-exaggeration of almost everything. Just grates on my nerves. Also annoys me that those that do in fact enjoy anime seem to all share a common trait of obsessive fanaticism about it.

Then there is the fact that everyone who is one of the above seems to use smilies like ^_^ or -_- and I'm not even sure any more if they annoyed me before or after I discovered this.

#2. Folks who are always 'accepting' and 'open-minded' of everything are seriously messed up in my opinion. Some things are in fact simply wrong/perverted/warped despite what they say and furthermore is not something to be proud of.

hyperfreak497
2007-11-21, 09:46 PM
Already kinda posted this on Arts 'n' Crafts, but then I found this, so...

Hatred of George Bush is overplayed. Seriously, I got a good laugh out of a good George Bush joke awhile back, but, now, in the liberal town I'm in, I can't have a serious conversation without some kind of attack on Dubya. I really, seriously, do not care about specific leaders. I care about issues. President Bush is on his way out. To quote xkcd out of context, "Can we, as a society, just get over it?"

Also, I have never found babies cute. Fat, little things that cry and vomit constantly? No thank you.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-11-21, 09:48 PM
Meh, I purposely am keeping from mentioning anything having to do with religion and/or politics or I know this thread would be locked in a heartbeat.

Icewalker
2007-11-21, 09:50 PM
I detest anime. Always have. From the drawing style to the over-exaggeration of almost everything. Just grates on my nerves. Also annoys me that those that do in fact enjoy anime seem to all share a common trait of obsessive fanaticism about it.

Well, I partially agree with you. I don't really have a problem with the serious version of the drawing style, but when it moves into a more cartoon/over-exaggeration type thing (examples: really angry, or eating after not having eaten for some time) it is reeally annoying. When it's serious, which is consistent in most anime movies, ie Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa, etc, then I find the style fine.

Obsessive fanaticism about almost anything can be annoying. But with anime it is excessively so.

I'd say the biggest issue I have with anime lies in a lack of:

Detailed worlds
Detailed characters with background
Serious plots
Plots

However, I recently tried watching the first few episodes of Full Metal Alchemist (http://anime6.org/?p=56), having heard the name often, and found it to break all of the things which makes anime annoying. (Well, it still has the over-exaggeration of emotions sometimes, but far less than most).

The world is interesting, although never fully shown, but the country which the show takes place in is detailed, especially the military. The characters have a story, and a goal. The show is actually based around a very serious plot, instead of individual episodes. Lastly, the show is much more serious than any anime I've seen. It actually hit a note of basically 'Oh god, this is serious...' in me at one point near the beginning.

Also, it contains the seven sins, which are awesome when used in just about any set up if done well, which most of them are.

Let's see, offensive opinions....
well, I don't know if it counts as an opinion, but I just cannot stand people I don't consider smart. Or, in a similar vein, people who can't accept when they are wrong, or even acknowledge a second possibility.

McDonald's is quite possibly the worst thing ever. :smallmad: This revelation came about upon reading Don't Eat This Book, written by Morgan Spurlock (from Supersize Me)

I'm...picky about food, because my mom is an excellent cook.

No, I don't have too many unpopular opinions I suppose. At least, none I can think of off the top of my head.