PDA

View Full Version : Longest Book You've Read

Pyro
2007-11-24, 10:16 PM
Everyone feels proud when they finish a long book, but you feel even prouder when its something like The Source over 900 pages has 11 point font and is single spaced. Believe me, Harry Potter has nothing on this.

So whats the longest book you've read?

I bet I beat you:smalltongue:

Icewalker
2007-11-24, 10:26 PM
Nope.

the Night's Dawn trilogy. Three books, 1200, 1200, and 1300.

StupidFatHobbit
2007-11-24, 10:30 PM
The length of the books I read is not something it ever occurred to me to notice or take pride in. :smallconfused:

Was it good? Did you like it?

TheLogman
2007-11-24, 10:31 PM
Completed? The most recent Harry Potter book, 950+ pages I believe. I am, however, still reading a book titled Atlas Shrugged, 1080-some pages of single-spaced tiney-tiny font.

EDIT: Both are excellent, Harry Potter was a great end to a great series, was entertaining, and a spot on read, whereas Atlas Shrugged is an enlightening, almost satirical in some parts thesis on people, economics, and struggles with ourselves.

Executor
2007-11-24, 10:31 PM
War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy. Great, but goddamn

Nibleswick
2007-11-24, 10:38 PM
The Bible, I think that beats just about anything else.

bugsysservant
2007-11-24, 10:39 PM
I really don't know. I don't pay attention/remember these things. Off the top of my head, maybe one of the Wheel of Time books, though I have probably done better. According to Wikipedia those top off at 1024. But really, what's the point. If a book was so bad that the best thing you took away from it was a feeling of pride that you could suffer through it, why didn't you put it down?

Pyro
2007-11-24, 10:43 PM
Completed? The most recent Harry Potter book, 950+ pages I believe. I am, however, still reading a book titled Atlas Shrugged, 1080-some pages of single-spaced tiney-tiny font.

My friend is reading that. When I finished The Source a couple days ago my friend said "Now you should read Atlas Shrugged". That would be horrible...

The length of the books I read is not something it ever occurred to me to notice or take pride in.

Was it good? Did you like it?

Normally I don't gloat about reading a big book because I'm a quick reader and can go through things like HP5 in two days. On the other hand, even if I read the Source straight through it would have taken me about 2 weeks.

2007-11-24, 10:51 PM
A few of the longer books I've read...

The Stand (Stephen King) - is 1141 pages long in the paperback I have. I read it all on a six day trip back and forth to Florida.

It (Stephen King) - is 1090 pages long in the paperback I have. I read it in about two weeks.

Battlefield Earth (L. Ron Hubbard) - is 1050 pages long in the paperback I have. It took me about a year to read, because it sucked so much.

The first two books were pretty good.

Oh, and The Dark Tower series is pretty long, I believe it totals in around 8,000 pages or so. I've read it three times, and am re-reading it right now.

Glawackus
2007-11-24, 10:54 PM
I don't know what the longest book I've ever read is (probably Dark Tower if you take them all as one book), but I can tell you right now that the seventh Wheel of Time felt like the longest. :smallyuk:

Otto-Sieve
2007-11-24, 10:54 PM
A Storm of Swords

jmaccabeus
2007-11-24, 10:57 PM
Probably one of the textbooks I've had to read for class. Those can get big :smallbiggrin:

If you include a series, then the Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough. Six books, all quite long in and of themselves.

Pyro
2007-11-24, 10:58 PM
I really don't know. I don't pay attention/remember these things. Off the top of my head, maybe one of the Wheel of Time books, though I have probably done better. According to Wikipedia those top off at 1024. But really, what's the point. If a book was so bad that the best thing you took away from it was a feeling of pride that you could suffer through it, why didn't you put it down?

Just noticed this.

Its not that I didn't like The Source, I loved it. I guess its that type of thing that when you first pick it up you say to yourself, "I'm never going to finish this." and then when you finally reach the end its kinda thrilling. Its like what the councilor always told me. "Set reachable goals for yourself!"

Leper_Kahn
2007-11-24, 11:09 PM
The Bible, I think that beats just about anything else.

Mahābhārata does. 'Course I haven't read it. :smallredface:

1.8 Million words (Not sure if that is Sanskrit or English translated words)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahabarta

Sneak
2007-11-24, 11:12 PM
A Storm of Swords

Same here. Very, very long, but very, very awesome.

Green Bean
2007-11-24, 11:15 PM
I almost don't want to admit this, but Tom Clancy's The Bear and the Dragon. Just over 1100 pages. Yes, I know those are terrible books. I was only 12, and it was an eighteen hour flight. I was desperate. :smallredface:

Seraph
2007-11-24, 11:16 PM
My friend is reading that. When I finished The Source a couple days ago my friend said "Now you should read Atlas Shrugged". That would be horrible...

your friend hates you.

SurlySeraph
2007-11-24, 11:22 PM
A few of the longer books I've read...

The Stand (Stephen King) - is 1141 pages long in the paperback I have. I read it all on a six day trip back and forth to Florida.

It (Stephen King) - is 1090 pages long in the paperback I have. I read it in about two weeks.

Read both of those.

I'm not sure exactly how long Paradise Lost is, but it sure felt like the longest book I've ever read.

Green Bean
2007-11-24, 11:34 PM
I'm not sure exactly how long Paradise Lost is, but it sure felt like the longest book I've ever read.

I know how you feel. I read half of Alexis de Toqueville's Democracy in America. Just half; two hundred pages, tops. I ended up spreading it over an entire weekend because I just couldn't finish it in one sitting (unlike what I usually do). It was informative, but so very dry (and the fact that I had to take notes just made it feel longer)

slight strider
2007-11-25, 12:40 AM
It probably isn't the longest book I've ever read (I've read a lot) but the Odyysey felt the longest. It was somewhat hard to read, and the Greeks had a lot of myths to put in the book.

Turcano
2007-11-25, 01:02 AM
I'd have to go with The Gulag Archipelago by Alexandr Solzhenitysn, at 1932 pages.

Haruki-kun
2007-11-25, 01:05 AM
The Lord of the Rings, the Fellowship of the Ring.

It took me half a year. I wasn't as fluent in English back then. I never read the other two or The Hobbit, though. I got too lazy. :smallbiggrin:

Gaelbert
2007-11-25, 02:31 AM
Battlefield Earth (L. Ron Hubbard) - is 1050 pages long in the paperback I have. It took me about a year to read, because it sucked so much.

Take it back. Take it back.TAKE IT BACK!

With that out of my system, I've read the Wheel of Time series, the Mission Earth decalogy by L. Ron Hubbard, and countless others. I read fast, and usually I don't really pay attention to the amount of pages I read.

averagejoe
2007-11-25, 02:52 AM
I'm not sure what the longest book I've ever read is. The longest book I've read recently is probably any one of The Sandman compilations. those have to be close to a foot long.

factotum
2007-11-25, 03:17 AM
Lord of the Rings, including intro and appendices, is well over 1000 pages...read that in a weekend once.

Rockphed
2007-11-25, 04:03 AM
Take it back. Take it back.TAKE IT BACK!

With that out of my system, I've read the Wheel of Time series, the Mission Earth decalogy by L. Ron Hubbard, and countless others. I read fast, and usually I don't really pay attention to the amount of pages I read.

The first half was pretty good. But after reading his forward/introduction thing, the second half was kinda lame. If he had left out Chrissy the book would have been better. If he had ended it after they blew up Psychlo, it would have been great. And the ending was rather pathetic. "He wandered off and was never heard from again." Kinda lame. He didn't even take the girl with him.

As for my longest book, either that, Les Miserable(though I did skip part of the bit on Waterloo), the wheel of time, or The Lord of the Rings. If I had read all the way through the Bible, that would probably be on the list.

Innis Cabal
2007-11-25, 04:14 AM
war and peace

H. Zee
2007-11-25, 05:31 AM
Longest book I've ever read? War and Peace. It's a monster of a book with over 1400 pages and more than 560,000 words. I read it in two weeks, when I was thirteen.

Usually I wouldn't show off, but it seems to me that this thread has been created for that very purpose. Far be it from me to disappoint. :smalltongue:

Xefas
2007-11-25, 05:46 AM
Probably the Bible. It was a good read, but slow as all hell in some places. Not to mention the lack of internal consistency and the rampant usage of Deus Ex Machina to get the characters out of every situation; I'd like to have seen someone solve their own problem for once that didn't end in their eternal damnation.

A, son of B
son of C
son of D
son of Y
son of Z
son of AA
son of AAAAA
son of BBBBBB
...etc

RyQ_TMC
2007-11-25, 06:10 AM
As some people mentioned, yes, that would be the Bible. However, if you discount that, then I think "The Gulag Archipelago" comes as the winner. However, if you only count SINGLE books (that is, no trilogies, compilations or whatever), then the longest I've read would be "The Brothers Karamazov" by Dostoevsky. And I recommend that to just about ANYONE. A piece of singular greatness.

Revlid
2007-11-25, 06:54 AM
Eisenhorn, at 765 pages, followed by The Last Chancers, also at 765 pages, but less awesome pages.

cnsvnc
2007-11-25, 07:27 AM
I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy more than 20 times over the years. Would that count?

If not, there's the Dune series and Amber series. They had many pages.

bosssmiley
2007-11-25, 09:29 AM
I'd have to go with The Gulag Archipelago by Alexandr Solzhenitysn, at 1932 pages.

Did we read the same book? My copy's only about 400pp IIRC? :smallconfused:

~ Grown-up's books ~
"War & Peace" - 1200 pages of tiny, tiny type.
"Les Miserable" - 1,500 pages. Literally nothing happens until about page 60.
"Don Quixote" - 1,000+ pages.
"Dance to the Music of Time" - 3,000+ pages and sooooooo dense.
"LOTR" - 1200 pages (+ most of the accompanying Tolkiana).
"The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (http://www.ccel.org/g/gibbon/decline/home.html)" - 1,952 pages and a classic of historical writing
"The Histories" - 840 pages
"History of the English-Speaking Peoples" - 2,000+ pages.

~ Trashy fantasy/sci-fi ~
"Night's Dawn Trilogy" - 3,500 pages of pulpy space opera goodnesses.
"Hyperion Cantos" - 3,200 pages
Some of the interminable Eddings multi-book barfs.

Eggy like doorstop books.

Setra
2007-11-25, 10:13 AM
Well if you count three books inside one cover, the original Dragonlance Trilogy at over 1K pages...

Otherwise, whichever Harry Potter book was longest.

rubakhin
2007-11-25, 04:32 PM
I win. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Com%C3%A9die_humaine)

To the extent that that monster is a book, anyway. I liked Sarrasine, the military novels, and Les Illusions perdues in particular. (ETA: OH! And Melmoth Reconciled. Everybody needs to read Melmoth the Wanderer and then Balzac's take.) Some of them are really beautiful, some of them are bloody boring interesting to the modern reader only in an anthropological sort of way. I'm kind of glad he passed away before finishing his Scenes from Country Life. I hate pastorals.

I've also read A la recherche du temps perdu, which I think is the longest thing I've read that's considered a book proper.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-11-25, 04:38 PM
I'm a fast reader so I've read lots of lexically dense (word dense. My Eng Lang termiology keeps popping through) books rapidly. Recently:

The Three Musketeers. Four hundred pages long in size 4/6 font.
The Canterbury Tales. Three hundred pages long, but most of it in orignal Middle English with an Intro that I haven't counted. Same for the glossory.
Le Morte D'Arthur parts 1 and II. Not 'translated' into Modern English) About 600 pages long at size 8/10 font.
LOTR. Got through it in 13 days when I was 11. That's the omnibus with appendixes. About 1100 pages.

Basically, most of my books are 400+ pages.

Series wise:
Discworld. At about 300 pages a book and 35 books. That's 10500+ pages
WoT. Very dense and dull after a bit. Pity the 1000+ page book.
ASoIaF series. Excellent and beautifully crafted.
And more.

I'd add HP but frankly I was so bore I've not read book 7 yet.

Icewalker
2007-11-25, 04:38 PM
~ Trashy fantasy/sci-fi ~
"Night's Dawn Trilogy" - 3,500 pages of pulpy space opera goodnesses.

Hey, I thought I was like the only person who had ever read it, other than my brother, considering I've never heard anyone talk about it :smallbiggrin:

The only problem I had with those books was the ending. It was too sudden. They just find the thing and it fixes everything, woo, bamf, then he marries Louise. It's like he realized 'oh crap, I've already written 1200 pages for this book, I have to end it'

...hehe, Al Capone in sci-fi...awesome.

dehro
2007-11-25, 05:33 PM
If series count, then I think we can not really compare and call for "a winner"..because..well every serie has different sizes and number of pages..especially when you translate them..
for the records, I've read all that's been written by pratchett, Hugo, Verne, Karl May, both the Dumas, Tolkien and quite a bit of Balzac. then there are the italian authors, Calvino, verga, pasolini, dante alighieri (yeah... the whole of the divina commedia), boccaccio's decameron, Pinketts... and of course all of the Fantasy series I've read over the year...most of them made of at least 3-4 volumes..(shannara, anybody? that one has still not reached the end)

no, as for single volumes... cryptonomicon by stephenson, LOTR, a book on the history of islamism o which I've forgotten the title, and I'm sure I'm forgetting several other books...
then again, I've never looked at books by the number of pages, and not all the "big" books I've read where that good.

AslanCross
2007-11-25, 05:37 PM
If it could be considered a single book (even though it's actually 66), the Bible.

Apart from that, Lord of the Rings. War and Peace is sitting on my shelf staring at me angrily, but I couldn't get started on it. Maybe during the Christmas break.

commander43
2007-11-25, 05:42 PM
It and The Stand are pretty much the longest for me, each with about ~1200ish pages.

I recommend those books to everyone, especially It.

Kojiro Kakita
2007-11-25, 08:45 PM
The Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

SurlySeraph
2007-11-25, 09:48 PM
I've also read A la recherche du temps perdu, which I think is the longest thing I've read that's considered a book proper.

... you actually managed to read it? Without going insane or having Proust take over your mind? Consider yourself respected.

Someone mentioned Neal Stephenson earlier. The Baroque Cycle by Stephenson is probably the longest thing I've ever read if you consider it 1 novel (it's 3 books). 2,642 pages.

Lemur
2007-11-25, 10:11 PM
Not counting series, probably the complete Journey to the West, Anthony C. Yu translation. ~1900 pages of monkey madness, split into 4 volumes, which I read back to back.

Tom_Violence
2007-11-25, 10:17 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_novels

I've read every single one of those. Some of them were good enough that I even read them twice.

puppyavenger
2007-11-25, 10:34 PM
Sword of Shanara Trilogy at 1200 plus pages, unlless the simirilion was longer I forget I was 10 when I read it.

dehro
2007-11-27, 01:02 PM
should we consider only the shannara trilogy or also the prequel and the subsequent series in the same setting?? because that would make for a couple of thousand pages at least...

2007-11-27, 01:20 PM
I recommend those books to everyone, especially It.

Who dosn't love preteen sex!

Arioch
2007-11-27, 02:26 PM
If anyone put one of the longer D&D books into normal type and book size they'd be MASSIVE. But, they don't really count.

My answer - probably an encyclopedia of dinosaurs I got when I was eight. I read it from cover to cover, and it was 1500 pages.

Daze
2007-11-27, 04:13 PM
For the purpose of this thread, I think it's fair to exclude a couple of things:

1) Series. Of course series are long, they're multiple books. I realize LOTR was meant as one book when Tolkien wrote it, but none the less it was published as a trilogy. The George RR Martin series is also long as heck, and though each book is fairly lengthy it still should be excluded from this discussion (IMO).

2) Non-Fiction. The longest non-fiction books dwarf anything really. I mean, ever seen a Medical Compendium? History Text? Ri-dack-ulous.

Also...

It must be noted that some books are set, typed and published differently. The aforementioned Song of Ice & Fire series books were originally printed as those big floppy paperbacks (annoyingly so btw) with big type. So they seem longer than they are.

For instance, my copy of the the Unabridged The Stand by Stephen King paperback clocks in at over 1400 pages, with pretty small type. And my copy of IT at nearly 1300. Different than what others have so far mentioned.

Shogun by James Clavell (Great book btw, if you never read it) was nearly 1600 pages, again with smallish print.

So I guess it's relative.

But, either way... the better the book, the longer you want it to go. Even a long book makes you sad when it ends. Like losing a friend...

Setra
2007-11-27, 04:45 PM
I've read a fanfic that had 1.2 million words, if that means anything =p

dehro
2007-11-27, 04:57 PM
my copy of shogun (great book indeed) is nowhere near the 600 pages, in paperback...

indeed it does change with the print, and also with the translation.. Morgan tends to be doubled in size in the italian rendition.

looking on the internet I just found out that Hubbard has written a single book divided in 10 volumes of ridiculously slowpaced SF. I knew he started out as SF writer before turning into the religious milking of money industry...but this feat had eluded me. has anyone read any of the mentioned books?
(on a sidenote, when you know that the founder of your religion wrote bad SF for a living and had his accolytes buy the books to get into the bestselling list, you should get the clue, shouldn't you?)

Hazkali
2007-11-27, 05:10 PM

Kudos to you for sticking with it. Despite being hooked by the awesome soliloquy in the first chapter, I couldn't get into it, and it has sadly been relegated to "books I will get around to reading at some point" pile.

thestarvingpoet
2007-11-27, 05:29 PM
The longest book I've read in recent memory (it's hard to remember from year to year) is Memories of Ice (3rd in The Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson at 1187pgs. It's the most epic series I've read - 7 books have been published with 3 more to come. Amazing stuff!

Daze
2007-11-27, 06:21 PM
my copy of shogun (great book indeed) is nowhere near the 600 pages, in paperback...
Shogun was possibly my favorite book of all time... read it like 5 times now (I'm weird like that). I bought the mini-series last year too.. was a pretty good rendition, but they totally botched the ending.
But I know what you mean about the pages, which is why I brought that particular book up... my grandmothers copy of Shogun was only like 1100 some-odd pages.

looking on the internet I just found out that Hubbard has written a single book divided in 10 volumes of ridiculously slowpaced SF. I knew he started out as SF writer before turning into the religious milking of money industry...but this feat had eluded me. has anyone read any of the mentioned books?
(on a sidenote, when you know that the founder of your religion wrote bad SF for a living and had his accolytes buy the books to get into the bestselling list, you should get the clue, shouldn't you?)

I officially state that making fun of Scientologists is a must... my god, they must use some kind of mind-controlling drug? How else can you explain that following? Bizzzzzare! (and for a talentless author too... I've read ketchup bottles more interesting than Hubbard's work)

turkishproverb
2007-11-27, 07:18 PM
As some people mentioned, yes, that would be the Bible. However, if you discount that, then I think "The Gulag Archipelago" comes as the winner. However, if you only count SINGLE books (that is, no trilogies, compilations or whatever), then the longest I've read would be "The Brothers Karamazov" by Dostoevsky. And I recommend that to just about ANYONE. A piece of singular greatness.

shouldn't the bible count as multiple books then? Genisis, exodus, deuteronimy, kings 1, kings 2, etc?

Tarken
2007-11-27, 07:23 PM
My biggest would be 500 pages, Villains by Necesity, the fastest I've read a book though is about 450 (Factoring Humanity) in two days

dehro
2007-11-27, 07:39 PM
I officially state that making fun of Scientologists is a must... my god, they must use some kind of mind-controlling drug? How else can you explain that following? Bizzzzzare! (and for a talentless author too... I've read ketchup bottles more interesting than Hubbard's work)

to be true, as a Jew I don't really feel that much for poking fun at other's believes (though from observing most other jews I know you should think we do nothing else).. but the Scientologists sort of irk me epidermically...I just can't cope with the utter idiocy of some of the believes, practices, consequences and "hidden misteries" that have leaked on the internet over the years..I've got nothing against the believers themselves..I just can't stand the system and the leading bunch of hoodlums. not that that's any different than several other religions...but oh.. well...I dunno, sometimes a man should have the right to have a bad opinion and rant about it...

Ishmael
2007-11-28, 12:20 AM
Kudos to you for sticking with it. Despite being hooked by the awesome soliloquy in the first chapter, I couldn't get into it, and it has sadly been relegated to "books I will get around to reading at some point" pile.

It wasn't that long! Not very long at all!

I loved Paradise Lost. Actually, it kind of scared me, especially in the beginning, when you are really cheering for Satan. I mean, he's so cool in the first few books, until he enters Eden. Well, he has his big soliloquy in Book 4, and then he gets kind of petty.

I'm still working through the literary and theological implications of the work.

Hum...long books? I've read War and Peace, but I really can't count it, since I was in eighth grade and kind of glossed over the parts where Tolstoy talks about the more important parts of the novel. I really need to re-read it.

Hmm...if you count it as a single work, Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast novels top 1200 pages. But, he wrote it as a trilogy, so I suppose it doesn't matter.

I've read a lot of Dostoevsky, but he's not that long, really.

This is intriguing. Hmm...I don't know. I'm kind of angry at myself--I don't read nearly as much as I should. I read a lot, I suppose, but I hadn't really started reading anything substantial until tenth grade. Before that, it was all trashy fantasy novels, with no real point. Then I discovered literature. I've been trying to catch up. Meh...I have my entire life, I suppose.

wadledo
2007-11-28, 12:38 AM
The longest book I've ever completely enjoyed is Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, and the longest series of books I've read was 8 of the major religions holy books in 1 sitting.
The longest book overall?
I would have to say The Book Sellers Compendium, with its 4,000+ pages of hardback glory.

Legendary
2007-11-28, 12:41 AM
The Neverending Story, of course. :smallbiggrin:

Beyond that, probably a WoT book...

Omniplex
2007-11-28, 01:43 AM
Well, I read Dune last week. Or rather, I finished it. Started it over the summer, but had to return it to the library before school started, finished over TG break. Was good. Not sure how long it was, but it was pretty hefty. maybe the longest book I've read, unless you count LotR, which I read when I was 13 or so, and tried to read again a couple years ago, and failed.

Rockphed
2007-11-28, 03:04 AM
"Les Miserable" - 1,500 pages. Literally nothing happens until about page 60.

But it is a fun nothing happening. Unlike the Waterloo tangent which has about 20 pages of battle in way too much detail. I should go back and actually read the Waterloo tangent. I glossed over most of it.:redface:

sun_tzu
2007-11-28, 06:21 AM
Not sure about the longest book, but there's this RP thread somewhere I've been reading that's gotten past 1300 pages...

banjo1985
2007-11-28, 06:36 AM
The Stand (the uneditted version) by Stephen King is the longest single book I've read, about 1400 pages. It was one of the best books I've ever read though, so it kind of zoomed by.

Gerrtt
2007-11-28, 09:27 AM
I have a book called "The Guide to Getting it on." It has more pages than my Bible. I don't have it with me right now though so I can't say how many pages exactly...

Other than that my copy of Lord of the Rings comes out to 1008 pages.

WalkingTarget
2007-11-28, 09:54 AM
The Count of Monte Cristo - something like 1150 pages.
H.P. Lovecraft: A Life - 700 pages of single or 1.5 spaced small type with tiny margins.
The Lord of the Rings (which was split into three volumes originally due to publisher's reasons, it is not a trilogy in the normal sense) - 1184 pages counting appendices.
Executive Orders - I think this is the longest of Clancy's Jack Ryan books (I've read that whole series in any case), 874 pages.
A Storm of Swords - Longest of the A Song of Ice and Fire books so far, 992 pages.
Cryptonomicon - 1180 pages.
Quicksilver - 994 pages.
The Confusion - 816 pages.
The System of the World - 892 pages.
The Stand - 1152 pages.
The Dark Tower - 864 pages (I think this is the longest of that set as well).
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - 870 pages.

Series - The Dark Tower, His Dark Materials (which together total something around 900 or 1000 pages I think), all of the original Dune books, The Baroque Cycle, the Jack Ryan series by Tom Clancy, the Lucas Davenport books by John Sandford (17 so far, each a few hundred pages), all of the Discworld material that's been published in the US, The Wheel of Time and A Song of Ice and Fire (as much as they have been completed), the Hitchhiker's trilogy, I've only got a few books left in Harry Potter, and probably more if I thought about it longer.

All of these page counts are from the hardcover editions (except the Lovecraft biography as it's only available in the trade-sized paperback, as far as I know). I don't have my books handy, so most of the data came from Amazon.

TheMeanDM
2007-11-28, 10:19 AM
It
The Stand

Those two come to mind immediately. Both 1000+

Series:

Wheel of Time (stopped at crown of swords)
The Belgariad (1705 between 5 books)
The Malloreon (1848 between 5 books)
Lord of the Rings + The Silmarillion (2,064 between 4 books)

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-28, 10:29 AM
lord of the Rings +Similiaron 2,064 pages

Longest FEELING book? Ayn Rand's Fountainhead...may not've been the longest book, but it definitely took me the longest time (I was try to earn a scholarship related to it)

Sir_Norbert
2007-11-28, 10:34 AM
I read Remembrance of Things Past in high school. 3000 pages, but great fun. :)

ufo
2007-11-28, 10:46 AM
Pandora's Star, 1143 pages. I'm currently reading the follow-up, Judas Unchained, which is about hundred pages shorter.

Holocron Coder
2007-11-28, 12:14 PM
I don't remember an individual book length-wise...

But I can claim to have read almost 96% of the Star Wars EU novels. There's only a few I haven't caught up on yet (and those few hardbacks... grr :smallfurious:)

That's well into the tens of thousands of pages, total :smallbiggrin: Many of them back-to-back.

EDIT: I also own them all, nearly. I'm missing like.. 2 books right now.

mause
2007-11-28, 01:03 PM
I'd say 20 Years Later of Alexander Dumas

Old_Man
2007-11-28, 02:06 PM
Off-hand, for a single novel, I was thinking War and Peace or Atlas Shrugged was the longest, but looking up the word count, it was Samuel Richardson's Clarissa. Thank you AP English.

The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What is known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinnian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_the_Vivian_Girls) is on my reading list if someone publishes it. Weeee!

Telonius
2007-11-28, 02:15 PM
Unabridged version of "The Stand," for me, as well. It's actually slightly longer than the Bible (even with the deuterocanonicals included).

Wikipedia might be helpful (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_novels) here, though their list seems incomplete. But holy Jeebus, tens of millions of words? I gots me some catching up to do!

Pyro
2007-11-28, 11:30 PM
I wish I could find word counts for most of these books. They're a little more absolute and than page counts which aren't really comparative.

captain_decadence
2007-11-29, 01:17 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_novels

I've read every single one of those. Some of them were good enough that I even read them twice.

I'm not sure how you can have read all of these when the first one says it was never published. It was a collection by a madman and depicts children having sex, being tortured and other strange stuff.

Quincunx
2007-11-29, 08:27 AM
Tom Violence's location is "sarcasm executed as irony". If he'd attach that flag to his profile, his scattered posts wouldn't drop into their threads as obtrusively as they now do.

I slogged through Little Women by Louisa May Alcott between second and third grade to take pride in having finished a Really Long Book, and haven't felt the urge since. Of books I have that aren't mentioned yet, the thickest is the omnibus To the Ends of the Earth, a Sea Trilogy by William Golding, but the component novels are as short as his standard.

Death Giant
2007-11-29, 08:34 AM
Well I don't know the longest book I've ever read because I've read a lot of books, but I do know the longest title. _ Warriors series two The New Prophecy book six Sunset of The Last Dawn in Time. That's a mouthfull!!!!!

Fin
2007-12-01, 10:46 AM
For me its the Cleric Quintete omnibus, 1035 pages not as many as some of you but i thought it was a haul.

Hell Puppi
2007-12-01, 08:09 PM
Erm... Unabridged 'The Stand'...the entire collection of William Shakespeare (not in one go, though)...harry potter book 7 was pretty long too...