PDA

View Full Version : Defenses boost (Long text)

Roderick_BR
2007-11-26, 10:21 AM
Okay, my crusader is almost ready for the epic campaign my friend will make.
Some basic rules:
Insane starting stats: He gave us 50(!!!) points for point buy. I got Str 18, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 18.
20 levels of crusader using this build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35848
Some paladin levels, both for flavor and some abilities like Divine Grace and Aura of Courage.
Then some AC hints from here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60200
Finally, I'm getting two levels of swordsage for the Wis bonus to AC.
I'm boosting Str, Dex, Wis, and Cha with books, and a belt +6, because the epic boosting itens are too expensive, and take too many body slots.

Now, what I need: My friend that is DMing allowed that insanity to make a truly overpowered game. When we talked on the phone, he said that one of his NPCs had an AC of 100 (!!!!) Of course, my munchikin alert went off. I talked to him, and I found out that he was not taking in account epic costs while making the custom itens. Fine, he does that sometimes, getting confused with rules, and stuff. But I still want to make something good for combat.

What I got thus far (without custom itens) is this:
Dex +7
Wis +7
Bracers of armor +8
Ring of protection +5
Amulet of natural armor +5
Ioun Stone (insight +1 to AC)
Dodge (for Karmic Strike)
Total: 44

Adding to it, I'll get a cape of displacement (50% miss chance), a +1 padded armor with heavy fortification(+5) and soulfire (+4) to get immune to negative energy attacks, and a ring of mental fortitude (immunity to mind effects), and a vest of resistance. And some UMD abuse with wands and staffs.

Now, the questions:
* Is there a way to get a better insight bonus, luck bonus, and holy bonus from any source other than custom itens?
* The swordsage AC bonus works with light armors but not shields. Using an animated shield counts as actually wearing it? It does say that spell failure, skill penalty, and unprocifiency penalties works as normal.
* In case I can't use a shield, I can make an item with a permanent Shield spell, but I got confused with one thing. The cost is Spell Level x Caster Level x 2000. It uses the Lantern of Revealing as an example, and the cost looks right: 30,000 (cleric 5 x level 3 = 15 x 2000 = 30,000), but then the table says that itens with 1 minute/level duration should cost twice. Can I make an unslotted brooch of shield at a 4,000 cost (wizard 1 x spell 1 x 2000 x 2 for unslotted), or should it be 8,000, for the 1/minute? Is there a way to enhance the Shield bonus from 4 to something more, or is there a better Shield spell?
* Can I make an item with a shield bonus at all, like the armor bonus to bracers of armor?
* Is there a way to add Charisma to AC, that doesn't involve turning into a ghost or something? I know there is the Divine Shield feat, but if I can't use a shield, it won't matter much;

Additional notes: My crusader will have the Awesome Smite and Shock Trooper, in case I can charge stuff, and when I meet people with miss chance to hit, in case anyone is wondering. Also, my DM will allow us to spend a feat to gain a special item, that is a normal magic (maybe epic) item, as normal, but that'll give an additional +25 to one stat (he is crazy....), so, I'm wondering if I should get it to Cha or Str. Maybe get a half-celestial or half-dragon template to boot.

Edit: Found the Arcane Duelist PrC, and it looks good. I need to take 1 level dip into some arcane caster level, so I could take 1 level in sorcerer (that'll make even easier to use wands and staffs), then I can take 2 levels in the Arcane Duelist for the Charisma bonus to AC. It'll reduce my paladin to 5 levels, but it's good to keep at least 2 smite evils.