PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Hazkali
2007-11-27, 09:24 AM
Does anyone know whether it's worth getting? I've heard some good things, and with my birthday coming up I was wondering whether to ask for it...

Oh, and how does the recent 2nd edition compare with the '88 original?

Sleet
2007-11-27, 09:39 AM
It's a great game. I'd encourage you to get it if possible. Good low-power, gritty fantasy, and a really fun system of careers taking the place of classes. The system is fairly easy to learn, and a d20/D&D player will find elements of the latest edition familiar.

Project_Mayhem
2007-11-27, 11:57 AM
yeah, i've just been singing it's praises on anther thread, so, yes I second everything Sleet said.

If you buy it, depending on your familarity with the setting, its worth picking up a few sourcebooks too, as the rulebook focuses on the main rules and the fluff section and bestiary are kinda lacking a bit. The rules are top notch though, especially character creation and the whole career system.

As for improvements on the old version, they fixed a lot of broken stuff, like naked dwarf Daemon slayers being harder than a knight in full armour, and sorted out the crappy magic system, replacing it with a truely awesome one. IMHO

Hazkali
2007-11-27, 02:31 PM
Until I found D+D all I ever played was Warhammer, so I'm pretty "up" on the background pre-7th edition. Yay, I think that's a definite one for the Birthday list.

Matthew
2007-11-27, 03:44 PM
Do you have WHFRP 1e? The Enemy Within Campaign is a classic and highly regarded series. Given that you don't already have it, you should definitely seek to acquire it, unless they plan on reprinting it for WHFRP 2e, in which case you should definitely buy the new edition version.

I started out with Hero Quest, moved on to Advanced Hero Quest and then War Hammer Fantasy Roleplay; I can certainly recommend WHFRP 1e as a game worth getting.

Project_Mayhem
2007-11-27, 07:15 PM
The Enemy Within Campaign is a classic and highly regarded series. Given that you don't already have it, you should definitely seek to acquire it, unless they plan on reprinting it for WHFRP 2e, in which case you should definitely buy the new edition version.

The problem with this being that 1, to my knowledge they aren't reprinting it in the foreseeable future, and 2, the originals are massively out of print, tend to be rather expensive over ebay and such, and use the old rules so don't mesh so well.

Popular opinion says that the new big campaign, Paths of the Damned isnt so good - I think it has potential but requires a bit of work. Terror in Talabland (or whatever) is supposed to be good, and they're working on a new caampaign now

Matthew
2007-11-27, 07:27 PM
They shouldn't be that far out of print. I thought they were all reprinted a couple of years back? I certainly saw them in my local Game Shop...

Hmmn, looking at Wikipedia it seems that Hogshead sold their license in 2002; wow, that was a lot longer ago than I thought! Ah well, at least I still have most of that campaign.

Man, looking at the 2e stuff, there's a lot more there than I thought. I might have to check out Realm of the Ice Queen. She featured in one of my campaigns, long, long ago.