PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon PrC

UserClone
2007-11-29, 06:22 PM
Questions I have about the Chameleon (http://http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b):

What arcane spells appear on his list? All Sorc/Wiz spells?
Same thing, but for Divine spells...All Cleric, or...?
Finally, how about if you had your Arcane focus up, and used up your spells...could you change to your Divine Focus, and have that many divine spells? Or do you only get one set per day? Or if, for example, you still had one arcane slot left and switched to Divine Focus, would your slot Val-morph-inize into a Divine one?

Hyfigh
2007-11-29, 06:28 PM
They have access to all spells on any arcane or divine list up to level 6. This includes lists that may get the spells earlier, such as bards, paladin, and rangers. It's actually what makes the class reasonably playable.

They are required to rest in order to obtain spells and follow all of those guidelines.

UserClone
2007-11-29, 06:38 PM
And what of the third question?

triforcel
2007-11-29, 06:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that your arcane and divine spells are separate, but as HyFigh mentioned, you need to rest before you can prepare your spells so you really need to choose your spell casting focuses at the beginning of the day. Plus you can only prepare your divine spells at sunrise.

Hyfigh
2007-11-29, 06:47 PM
Having arcane spell slots left prepped, then switching to divine?

You'd loose the arcane spells prepped and have a bunch of empty divine slots.

UserClone
2007-11-29, 07:14 PM
So in other words, you get one set of slots, and decide whether they are arcane or divine on a given day?

The_Snark
2007-11-29, 07:17 PM
With double aptitude, you can get both arcane and divine casting at the same time. You still have to do it at the start of the day if you want to prepare anything in the slots, though.

Thrawn183
2007-11-29, 07:31 PM
The slots are entirely independent. If you switched from divine to arcane you could prepare all slots with arcane spells provided you had rested before the morning (which I assume you would have so that you could have actually prepared divine spells with your divine focus).

The reverse is a little trickier because you can only prepare divine spells at sunrise.

All in all, just remember that they are two entirely separate things, it doesn't matter what you did with your other focus, it doesn't affect the one you currently have up at all.

Kaelik
2007-11-29, 08:35 PM
Just as a side note, always remember to, if you are going to dispel anything use a third level slot to do it with Greater Dispel. Trapsmith from Dungeonscape has some spells you really need to check out.

Ditto
2007-11-29, 08:59 PM
When you get the double aptitude ability late in the class (which is as bad as Mystic Theurge when you're playing the first few levels...), you're truly a terror. Wake up, Divine Focus. Cast your entire docket of 1 hr/ level spells (there are tons of useful things when you look at ALL divine spell lists, and at caster level 16/18/20, enough for the whole day) and Persistent Divine Power, then switch to Arcane as well as Martial. You can ubertank and Batman at the same time.

I made one. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=9259) Check the fun divine toolkit at the bottom of the Notes.

UserClone
2007-11-30, 03:51 PM
So they can't use any arcane spells until they acquire a spellbook, and the means with which to put spells into it?

UserClone
2007-11-30, 05:13 PM
Ditto, how did you manage to make a Chameleon who was neither a Human nor a Doppelganger, but an Illumian?

Hyfigh
2007-11-30, 05:19 PM
So they can't use any arcane spells until they acquire a spellbook, and the means with which to put spells into it?

Correct. Obtaining the spellbook is the most difficult part (which isn't hard at all). Scribing spells doesn't even really have a mechanic associated with it, so this isn't an issue. Some, including myself, are in the school of thought that using the Extra Spell feat as youre changeable bonus feat will allow you to know a spell, scribe it, then change the feat for another spell the next day.

Also, Illumians are humans.

UserClone
2007-11-30, 05:38 PM
What?? How can they be humans?? Idiocy! They are made of living words!What a stupid notion! How then can they be humans?!? I now hate races of destiny!:smallmad:

Edit: Scribing spells clearly does have a mechanic associated with it, as it is stated in the description of Arcane Focus that they prepare and cast spells just as a Wizard does, including the use of a spellbook. As far as I know, the PHB is pretty specific as to how spells get into a spellbook.

MrNexx
2007-11-30, 05:42 PM
Since I haven't said it in a while, I'll point out that a two-level dip in Chameleon is GREAT for Warlocks. The assign-per-day feat can be used for any invocation you like (below your top level of invocations), and be used for item creation feats on days you feel like crafting things.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-30, 05:52 PM
The reverse is a little trickier because you can only prepare divine spells at sunrise.

That is not correct. A divine caster refreshes his/her mind at dawn or sundown, but empty slots can be filled at any point just like arcane prepared casters given the necessary time is taken.

A divine spellcaster does not have to prepare all his spells at once.

UserClone
2007-11-30, 06:00 PM
But the text of the PrC description directly contravenes that. It states that you must prepare your divine spells at dawn.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-30, 06:11 PM
But the text of the PrC description directly contravenes that. It states that you must prepare your divine spells at dawn.

Interesting, in that case I apologize.

Perhaps the writers did not read the PHB....

Hyfigh
2007-11-30, 06:16 PM

Indeed. It's an exception to the normal rule.

Riffington
2007-11-30, 07:10 PM
I've always wondered... A Chameleon can get a 2nd level spell at 1st level rather than 3rd. Does this mean that he can scribe a scroll or brew a potion at Caster Level 2, thus costing him less gp and exp than it would cost anyone else?

UserClone
2007-11-30, 08:02 PM
I would have to say...uh...hmmm...wow. Interesting question.:smallsmile:

The_Snark
2007-11-30, 08:06 PM
No. Brew Potion requires a caster level of 3.

UserClone
2007-11-30, 08:14 PM
But if you took it as a 3rd-level Cleric, could you brew potions as an Arcane Focus Chameleon?

Jack_Simth
2007-11-30, 08:38 PM
Also, you can't take Brew Potions unless you've got a caster level that's not from your daily focus - even the level 2 Chameleon with a caster level of 4 on his Arcane/Divine focus doesn't qualify for Brew Potion unless he's also got a caster level of 3 from another source.

Seriously - the flexible feat requires that you qualify for whatever it is you take with it - and the daily focus is expressly forbidden from qualifying you for feats (plus other things, but who cares?).

It's one of the reasons I always favored a Bardic entry (plus, you know - Bard also covers basically the only two Core active abilities that the Chameleon can't replicate - Bardic Lore and Bardic Music). The Bard-5/Chameleon-10 with Practiced Spellcaster(Bard) and Craft Rod (so you can make the metamagic rods by using your flexible feat on a metamagic feat) can make just about anything in the DMG except rings, staves (as those two feats require a caster level of 12), Constructs (requires Craft Wondrus AND Craft Magic Arms and Armor), and stuff requiring 7th level or higher spells.

Riffington
2007-11-30, 08:38 PM
Ninja'd.

Ok, but if you have the feat, now can you brew/scribe 2nd level potions/scrolls more cheaply than any other class?

Rachel Lorelei
2007-11-30, 08:41 PM
Ninja'd.

Ok, but if you have the feat, now can you brew/scribe 2nd level potions/scrolls more cheaply than any other class?

Not really! Just because the feat requires CL 3 doesn't mean you have to make potions at CL 3. You can voluntarily lower your caster level to make CL 1 potions, even if you're a level 3 cleric or something!

UserClone
2007-11-30, 08:46 PM
Oh, yeah. I feel dumb.:smallsmile:

Riffington
2007-11-30, 08:59 PM
Not really! Just because the feat requires CL 3 doesn't mean you have to make potions at CL 3. You can voluntarily lower your caster level to make CL 1 potions, even if you're a level 3 cleric or something!

You can only make 1st level spells into CL1 potions. A cleric can normally only get a 2nd level spell down to CL 3. My question is very narrow: can a chameleon get a 2nd level spell down to CL 2 in his potion cost?

This would let him sell the nobility potions of Lesser Restoration at a nice profit, so they can dance all night without being exhausted.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-11-30, 09:07 PM
You can only make 1st level spells into CL1 potions. A cleric can normally only get a 2nd level spell down to CL 3. My question is very narrow: can a chameleon get a 2nd level spell down to CL 2 in his potion cost?

This would let him sell the nobility potions of Lesser Restoration at a nice profit, so they can dance all night without being exhausted.

Probably not. The Chameleon could, however, take Lesser Restoration from the Paladin spell list and make SL 1, CL 1 potions of it.

UserClone
2007-11-30, 09:13 PM
Dude that is SEXY!

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-01, 04:00 AM
Dude that is SEXY!

Dude looks like a lady! :smallwink:

Maybe she has chameleon powers though. :smallcool: